XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
type1racer
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 2011

Rear Main Seal leaking.

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to this forum.

I have '11 e70 X5 about 115k miles on it and having issue with rear main seal leaking.

The estimate repair costs $1,300.

The mechanic told me the car has no problem to drive but since it has rear main seal issue, oil will leak slowly and I gotta replace it eventually.
And it also makes very high pitch whining sound while I'm driving. That's so annoying and makes me crazy.

I bought it as used one 3yrs ago and been running great but had an water leaking issue with panoramic roof which I fixed it. Except that, It's been running great with every 5k miles oil change.

But one more thing that I noticed is it's making white smoke when I start the engine in the morning. It goes away but doesn't look like normal.

So I'm thinking either fixing it or buying a new car.

My situation is I still owe $14k to pay off and the appraisal value is $7k so if I go for another car, the loan amount will be additional $7k.

If the car runs great for sure after I fix the rear main seal, I'll gladly pay $1300 but I'm wondering what if it's just beginning of digging my pocket.

The new car that I'm considering is Golf GTI. I think it's well made one for the price and with my negative equity, the total car amount will be about $29k so I'm seriously thinking about it but still cannot decide.

Please give me your suggestions.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Use this oil saver at every oil change for next 2 oil change, 2 cans per change. Just add 2 cans immediately in the oil filler to start with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
type1racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
Use this oil saver at every oil change for next 2 oil change, 2 cans per change. Just add 2 cans immediately in the oil filler to start with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for the info!

Do you think it will work for the high pitch whining noise too? I already tried bar's rear main seal repair liquid and it seemed to work for leaking but not for the noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

A whining sound is not a common symptom of a rear main seal issue. This is more common in an accessory belt, pulley or tensioner problem.
Considering the debt/value situation, you may want to hold of on addressing the rear main seal. I'm not saying ignore the problem but to understand and mitigate the risks. If you don't understand the components and how an engine operates this may not be the best thing to do.

If you have a major leak developing a puddle of oil as the car is idling, get it fixed right away.

What you don't want is an oil leak that causes a reduction in oil pressure. If the leak doesn't affect your oil pressure and your oil consumption barely changes, You may be fine waiting on this.

Also keep in mind oil leaks are bad for the environment.
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      08-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
gitee
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
A whining sound is not a common symptom of a rear main seal issue. This is more common in an accessory belt, pulley or tensioner problem.
Considering the debt/value situation, you may want to hold of on addressing the rear main seal. I'm not saying ignore the problem but to understand and mitigate the risks. If you don't understand the components and how an engine operates this may not be the best thing to do.

If you have a major leak developing a puddle of oil as the car is idling, get it fixed right away.

What you don't want is an oil leak that causes a reduction in oil pressure. If the leak doesn't affect your oil pressure and your oil consumption barely changes, You may be fine waiting on this.

Also keep in mind oil leaks are bad for the environment.
N55 engine? Do a google search on PCV and valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
type1racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitee View Post
N55 engine? Do a google search on PCV and valve cover.
Oh, found exact same symptom and solution! Not sure yet but it worth to try.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Is the whining noise only when the AC is switched on? Mine was the exact way and it was low on Freon.

I have the same issues you have and my 2011 at 92k I'm considering getting rid of it as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
type1racer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
Is the whining noise only when the AC is switched on? Mine was the exact way and it was low on Freon.

I have the same issues you have and my 2011 at 92k I'm considering getting rid of it as well.
I feel like it's 'louder' when AC is on but actually, once the noise starts, it keeps whining no matter the AC is on or off.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
You might consider having someone put Gauges on it and check the Freon. Or you could buy a can of Freon with a gauge and hope for the best. I did the latter and it's worked for a whole year now.

$40. Got lucky I guess who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Nexo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 x5 2011

Garage List
2011 X5 e70  [0.00]
e70 x5 35i PCV failure causes noise & leaking rear main seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by type1racer View Post
Hi, everyone.

I'm new to this forum.

I have '11 e70 X5 about 115k miles on it and having issue with rear main seal leaking.

The estimate repair costs $1,300.

The mechanic told me the car has no problem to drive but since it has rear main seal issue, oil will leak slowly and I gotta replace it eventually.
And it also makes very high pitch whining sound while I'm driving. That's so annoying and makes me crazy.

I bought it as used one 3yrs ago and been running great but had an water leaking issue with panoramic roof which I fixed it. Except that, It's been running great with every 5k miles oil change.

But one more thing that I noticed is it's making white smoke when I start the engine in the morning. It goes away but doesn't look like normal.

So I'm thinking either fixing it or buying a new car.

My situation is I still owe $14k to pay off and the appraisal value is $7k so if I go for another car, the loan amount will be additional $7k.

If the car runs great for sure after I fix the rear main seal, I'll gladly pay $1300 but I'm wondering what if it's just beginning of digging my pocket.

The new car that I'm considering is Golf GTI. I think it's well made one for the price and with my negative equity, the total car amount will be about $29k so I'm seriously thinking about it but still cannot decide.

Please give me your suggestions.

TIA.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197666
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #11
nc138
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Same Issue

I just had the Rear Main Seal replaced on my 2011 X5 at 122,000 miles. It wasn't leaking yet but would create a very annoying whining noise, almost like a firehouse siren. I was told the cost would be $2,400, but they did the job for $1,400, mostly labor. I owe another $8K on the car and plan on running for at least 2 more years.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
AngeloF15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5, 2015 BMW X5

Was the oil leaking at the bell housing? I have a 2012 3.5i with 112k and have a light oil leak where the oil pan meets the housing. It is hard to tell if the leak is on the rms or the opg. I see oil collecting on the lower bolts of the bell housing.
Appreciate 0