XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Question Shopping for ~$25k new vehicle with Active Cruise Control

Because I am in outside sales, I spend pretty much all day in my car. I call it "my office." I have to park my car in all kinds of situations... On the street in major cities in the northeast, and NYC-style parking garages where white-glove treatment is far from assured. This makes having a "beater" attractive. I can spread the miles driven across two cars, and keep my "nice car" out of bad weather and bad parking situations. Additionally, if I have a practical "beater" I can have a slightly less practical "nice car."

I used to have a super-crappy Suzuki SX4 sedan, but it was so rough, I really would only drive it in the worst of situations. I've been trolling for something inexpensive enough, yet sporty, comfortable, and attractive enough to consider.

Because of how I use this vehicle in lots of extremely heavy traffic... While simultaneously conducting business... having Active Cruise Control is an absolute necessity for me. Note this ACC requirement completely rules out any manual transmission vehicle. AWD would be nice but is not a requirement. Trunk size and concealability are very important since I travel with a lot of bulky and valuable samples.

This brings me to April 2020 and noticing 66-month 0% interest rates on a car that seems to be a real option... The KIA Forte GT. This thing stickers at like $26k fully loaded; seems sporty enough; and dare I say it's not horribly ugly. I think my challenge might be finding one with the "GT2 Package" as my casual search hasn't found one with this package within 500 miles. I'm actually not super picky about color, but white would be easy to keep looking ok while not being highly cared for... plus I like the contrast against the black mirrors and trim.

The other vehicle that fits my ~$25k NEW vehicle with ACC requirement is the Honda Accord Sport, but that CVT just turns me off; plus I think its kinda ugly. However, the Accord Sport is significantly larger (a plus).

What do you think? Any alternatives you'd pick to fit my ~$25k NEW vehicle with ACC requirement?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dog Face Pony Soldier; 04-04-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Toyota's 12th Gen Corolla has active cruise control even for 6 speed manual equipped cars.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Is this the new BMW M235i Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 4
..Rush..973.50
Murf99314114.00
Germanauto9665.50
10"4946.00
      04-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Mazda3's have been discounted pretty heavily and have ACC with either transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Mazda3's have been discounted pretty heavily and have ACC with either transmission.
I don't think you can get ACC with the manual.

I'd have to check and see for sure, but I recall the Mazda 3 equipped to the level I'd want is much more expensive. I believe it's significantly slower than the Forte GT too. I do like them though.
      04-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebetrau88 View Post
Is this the new BMW M235i Gran Coupe?
...at almost half the price!
      04-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Quote:

I'd have to check and see for sure, but I recall the Mazda 3 equipped to the level I'd want is much more expensive. I believe it's significantly slower than the Forte GT too. I do like them though.
It's slow as shit. I had the last one and hate the motor. It's total rubbish. With your budget I'd get a GTI, oh, I did. But I don't use cruise control at all, much less ACC. The wife's car has it, never even tried to turn it on.
Appreciate 1
XMetal1096.50
      04-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Toyota's 12th Gen Corolla has active cruise control even for 6 speed manual equipped cars.
I believe you are mistaken.
      04-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's slow as shit. I had the last one and hate the motor. It's total rubbish. With your budget I'd get a GTI, oh, I did.
I looked closely at the GTI because it also has 0% financing right now. The problem is to get ACC it's much more expensive than the Forte GT. The GTI also has much less cargo capacity if you don't fold down the back seat.
      04-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I rented a corolla that had ACC. Was horrible. Any system needs stop and start and to not pop-off when you get slow.
      04-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's slow as shit. I had the last one and hate the motor. It's total rubbish. With your budget I'd get a GTI, oh, I did.
I looked closely at the GTI because it also has 0% financing right now. The problem is to get ACC it's much more expensive than the Forte GT. The GTI also has much less cargo capacity if you don't fold down the back seat.
Yeah, the Autobahn is a stupid option package, which you'd need to get the ACC. At that point you'd be much better off just paying the extra $4k and getting an R.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm not.

Name:  corolla.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  205.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I rented a corolla that had ACC. Was horrible. Any system needs stop and start and to not pop-off when you get slow.
You probably had the previous generation TSS. The new version will allow the car to come to a complete stop and not disengage the ACC. When traffic starts moving again, the car will accelerate without any driver input.

I don't remember how TSS 2.0 works with the manual trans. There is a slight quirk with how it operates due to the manual trans/clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
No, I'm not.

Attachment 2275752
You are indeed mistaken. If you read the fine print DRCC (as Toyota calls it) is not available on cars with a MT.
Attached Images

04-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You are indeed mistaken. If you read the fine print DRCC (as Toyota calls it) is not available on cars with a MT.
Again, no, I'm not. The auto trans cars have full speed DRCC. The manual gets the regular DRCC.

ETA: Here's the owner's manual for the 2020 Corolla....

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM02580U.pdf

Go to page 230 to 231 in the manual. You'll see discussion in there about when the DRCC can be engaged with a manual trans and when the system will be deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Again, no, I'm not. The auto trans cars have full speed DRCC. The manual gets the regular DRCC.

ETA: Here's the owner's manual for the 2020 Corolla....

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM02580U.pdf

Go to page 230 to 231 in the manual. You'll see discussion in there about when the DRCC can be engaged with a manual trans and when the system will be deactivated.
I stand corrected! While I wouldn't consider a MT for my work vehicle; and I think ACC/DRCC with the manual is handicapped by being limited to a single gear at a time; you are correct and it is I whom is mistaken. Touché and thank you.
      04-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I stand corrected! While I wouldn't consider a MT for my work vehicle; and I think ACC/DRCC with the manual is handicapped by being limited to a single gear at a time; you are correct and it is I whom is mistaken. Touché and thank you.
No worries. I only know about this because I was researching the 2019 Corolla Hatchback as my daily. I would have purchased the SE model with the manual. What turned me off was the small trunk which required me to drop the rear seats if I wanted to haul anything of a decent size.

The quirks with DRCC and with the manual are understandable and I would have put up with it to gain back a manual trans in my stable of cars.

As an aside, the 12th gen Corolla Hatchback has a hybrid CVT. The CVT has a physical 1st gear they call a launch gear. So it might be worth considering along with the ability to have the full speed DRCC feature.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

There are many choices out there and which works best for you may depend upon more than just price (as there are many price choices).

I don't understand why you are discussing manual transmissions when you say you need adaptive cruise control because of the way you drive. That would seem to rule out a manual transmission.

I am also puzzled by your reference to using your car as an office and needing adaptive cruise control. That scares me a little. If you mean that you talk on the phone a lot, about business, than you also need to focus on the quality and features of the USB or wireless phone connection.

Don't get me wrong. I love adaptive cruise control and would not buy another car without it (same, for me, goes for the HUD; I have both).

So there are many choices out there. If you gave your other desires, besides cost and adaptive cruise control, we might be better able to give you meaningful suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The ACC portion makes this a little bit trickier... but with current discounts and potential incentives; the answer is always GTI... but the current Accord is nice too... it has the Honda Sensing thing and you can get the Hybrid for $25k.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:

This brings me to April 2020 and noticing 66-month 0% interest rates on a car that seems to be a real option... The KIA Forte GT.
It's a handsome car for what it is. I like the corolla hybrid drivetrain, but prefer the elantra sport to all. Except only the 'limited' version of the elantra comes with the smart cruise you need. It may be a hair over your budget (will come out over your hard limit after taxes and fees) but there may be discounts that push it under. I believe if you have a price ceiling stick to it.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I'll be looking for something similar, shortly, but with AWD and more cargo capacity (makes it hard). Possibly a 3-touring, but there are some others.
      04-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #22
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The ACC portion makes this a little bit trickier... but with current discounts and potential incentives; the answer is always GTI...
To get a GTI with ACC we're required to go for the Autobahn edition that stickers at almost 150% of my KIA build! $38k greatly exceeds my personal definition of a "beater" but I guess someone with a higher income could think differently I guess.

The other issue is hatchbacks like the GTI really have tiny "trunks" when the rear seats are up. That is why I never buy a hatch... Trunk space is way too important to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dog Face Pony Soldier; 04-05-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0