XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Oil Interval Coding

I tried to code a different oil change interval, yesterday, but ISTA-P fails when trying to write to the DDE (I have an X5d).

The error is: Global VehicleCommunication CoA Pt 1000 - (CoAPI) - General fault

Also, ISTA-P asked for an IBAC code. I used a generator and my VIN to create one. I am confused about the key # in the generator. I verified my fob was #1 and used #1 in the generator. ISTA-P accepted the generated code and proceeded to the coding processes, but then the DDE had the com error, above. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
I tried to code a different oil change interval, yesterday, but ISTA-P fails when trying to write to the DDE (I have an X5d).

Also, ISTA-P asked for an IBAC code. I used a generator and my VIN to create one. I am confused about the key # in the generator. I verified my fob was #1 and used #1 in the generator. ISTA-P accepted the generated code and proceeded to the coding processes, but then the DDE had the com error, above. Weird.
Get BimmerGeeks - Protool for your phone as it's much easier to do this. For the protool it's located under the "Drivetrain" module and then "Engine" and go to Expert Mode. Under there you'll look for "CBS_RESET" and you'll enter an argument of "OEL;50" if you want to change it to 7500, our play with that number to change the mileage.
Appreciate 1
apexit41230.50
      02-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00 View Post
Get BimmerGeeks - Protool for your phone as it's much easier to do this. For the protool it's located under the "Drivetrain" module and then "Engine" and go to Expert Mode. Under there you'll look for "CBS_RESET" and you'll enter an argument of "OEL;50" if you want to change it to 7500, our play with that number to change the mileage.
+1 for using ProTool to do the coding, so easy to use.

And thanks for spelling out exactly how to do it, I've been meaning to set up INPA/ISTA to do this and just couldnt find the time. Should be easy to do now!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry but could you break it down some more.. i found the CBS_RESET option and you said that we need to "enter OEL;50". Where exactly do we enter that information? Anywhere? There is a bunch of code inside the CBL_RESET parameter and I didn't see anything that said OEL. Thanks in advance.
      03-04-2020, 06:13 AM   #5
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDemonDM View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry but could you break it down some more.. i found the CBS_RESET option and you said that we need to "enter OEL;50". Where exactly do we enter that information? Anywhere? There is a bunch of code inside the CBL_RESET parameter and I didn't see anything that said OEL. Thanks in advance.
If you found the cbc_reset option, you're almost there. After clicking on it, you should see it expand. Once expanded, you will see a line that says "argument" and a button next to it that says "Finalize". Type the command into the argument line and click the finalize button. The value should update on your infotainment screen within a few seconds. You'll have to play around with the value to get the exact mileage you want. I wanted mine at 5000 miles and had to use a valie of OEL;53
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you found the cbc_reset option, you're almost there. After clicking on it, you should see it expand. Once expanded, you will see a line that says "argument" and a button next to it that says "Finalize". Type the command into the argument line and click the finalize button. The value should update on your infotainment screen within a few seconds. You'll have to play around with the value to get the exact mileage you want. I wanted mine at 5000 miles and had to use a valie of OEL;53
Thank you sir, I will try and let you know.
      03-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Attachment 2253567
Quote:
Thank you sir, I will try and let you know.
Here's a screenshot of the argument field and the execute button. I tried to upload it from my phone in my earlier post but it didn't work for some reason.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Excellent.

Thanks guys. Seems like that argument goes into one of the modules' coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I noticed something interesting about this process. I reset the interval to 5000 miles a few weeks back. A few days ago I performed an oil change and tried to reset this interval back to 5000 miles through the cluster (i.e. pressing the odometer reset button for a few seconds and then navigating to the oil change service). When I did this, it reset my oil change interval back to 10000 miles.

Is this normal? Are the instructions you outlined only temporary? Is there a way to make this change permanent so that the next time the interval is reset using the cluster, it resets to the value I set using ProTool?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I noticed something interesting about this process. I reset the interval to 5000 miles a few weeks back. A few days ago I performed an oil change and tried to reset this interval back to 5000 miles through the cluster (i.e. pressing the odometer reset button for a few seconds and then navigating to the oil change service). When I did this, it reset my oil change interval back to 10000 miles.

Is this normal? Are the instructions you outlined only temporary? Is there a way to make this change permanent so that the next time the interval is reset using the cluster, it resets to the value I set using ProTool?
Yes it's normal as you have to go in each time and reset the interval using ProTools. Seems as if the 10K miles is hard-coded and the argument we are inputting is just a temp override.
Appreciate 0