XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Motorist Assistance Plan (MAP). Purchased from advantage mini clear lake. I purchased this same warranty for my 2016 550i in June and had no problems with them covering new transfer case, engine mounts, and oil pan leak. So I purchased the platinum 6yr/72k mile, 100 deductible for the x5m for 5k. It requires an inspection and 30 day wait before coverage begins. Lifetime coverage 24,995 or approximately the retail value of my 2011 X5m with 60,882 miles.

The Autonation warranty was a better deal, but it’s nearly impossible to deal with the Autonation dealers here, they never call back, their phones often don’t work and you have to wait hours to meet with someone in finance. Plus they screw up your contract...... so if you can get it..., get it.

Otherwise this is a perfectly good alternative. I have no doubts I will get my 5k investment out of the warranty. One or two oil leaks, an xfer case, turbo, and etc. will break even in on this. Plus I can transfer the warranty to a buyer when I sell the car which will improve resale value for me. Or I can get a refund on it...
I got my warranty from carshield. Well, in Canada, I looked high and low for an extended warranty, so the only one was at the dealer for $7k/year, LOL! Or, the one at carshield, since I bought it from a private seller. And, that is an american company, so not sure if it's transferable to anyone down the road, and it's a pain to get paid for warranty work, so only the dealer wants to accept it. The only other thing I can think of is that you can do a 3rd party warranty if you buy it from a dealer, otherwise, you're SOL?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #24
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Pretty much.

These are very expensive cars new mine was over 100K. The repairs and maintenance for a vehicle are priced accordingly and should run about 5% of the purchase price for the vehicle per year which is the industry average. A bit higher as it ages, so you should be spending about 5K+ per year on repairs for this kind of vehicle.

There is nothing cheap about it, even though its depreciated to the point of affordability for more people; the repairs didn't get cheaper. The most expensive BMW is a cheap BMW they say. The only good time to buy a used BMW is right off lease under an extended warranty (unless its a reliable model). Thats the point where its depreciated at least 50% and a warranty is attainable and affordable. But when its 10 years old, its gonna be expensive. I'm averaging about 8K a year in repairs to keep my lightly used X5M in tip top condition. I have an extended warranty and that is what its covered (at their lower negotiated prices with the dealer). Not including oil changes, tires, brakes, spark plugs, filters, and etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #25
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

question about the use of extended warranty.... when brought in to the dealer and the repair is not covered by the warranty, would the company pay for the diagnostic fee? I don't have any deductible, just wondering?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Thats between you and the warranty company. Mine always pays for the diagnostic fee, minus deductible.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #27
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
question about the use of extended warranty.... when brought in to the dealer and the repair is not covered by the warranty, would the company pay for the diagnostic fee? I don't have any deductible, just wondering?
For me , its a no. I'm using Carshield, they are cheapppp. I'm paying $100 / month or in full it's about $4K for 36K miles or 3 years, which is the best I've found. anyways, diagnostic fee is not covered when it's not under warranty, deductible is $100 per incident, but it works for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Pretty much.

These are very expensive cars new mine was over 100K. The repairs and maintenance for a vehicle are priced accordingly and should run about 5% of the purchase price for the vehicle per year which is the industry average. A bit higher as it ages, so you should be spending about 5K+ per year on repairs for this kind of vehicle.

There is nothing cheap about it, even though its depreciated to the point of affordability for more people; the repairs didn't get cheaper. The most expensive BMW is a cheap BMW they say. The only good time to buy a used BMW is right off lease under an extended warranty (unless its a reliable model). Thats the point where its depreciated at least 50% and a warranty is attainable and affordable. But when its 10 years old, its gonna be expensive. I'm averaging about 8K a year in repairs to keep my lightly used X5M in tip top condition. I have an extended warranty and that is what its covered (at their lower negotiated prices with the dealer). Not including oil changes, tires, brakes, spark plugs, filters, and etc.
Not everyone’s experience is the same.

Since the free warranty period ended my vehicle (2013 X6M) has costs me plugs, a battery last year and filters as required. All fluids were changed last summer at the 100,000km point by my favoured Indy who also did the plugs. I do my own oil and filter changes and my brakes.

I’m on my second set of pads... but this summer will do a full brake job.

The vehicle is driven year round and in the harshest of winter conditions. I don’t track it, but do drive spiritedly.

I burn no oil in between 10,000 km changes.

When I see the extensive list of repairs some endure, I’m thankful that’s not been my experience.

My vehicle looks as good now as it was new.

I had extended warranty to 6 years which expired Nov 18...

I’ve owned many BMWs and was fortunate to drive the crap out of them while living in Germany..... I’m contemplating shipping my Blue beast to the UK next year... for a final few months of fun on the Continent ...But I won’t be letting her go anytime soon.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-29-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 12:55 AM   #29
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Not everyone’s experience is the same.

Since the free warranty period ended my vehicle (2013 X6M) has costs me plugs, a battery last year and filters as required. All fluids were changed last summer at the 100,000km point by my favoured Indy who also did the plugs. I do my own oil and filter changes and my brakes.

I’m on my second set of pads... but this summer will do a full brake job.

The vehicle is driven year round and in the harshest of winter conditions. I don’t track it, but do drive spiritedly.

I burn no oil in between 10,000 km changes.

When I see the extensive list of repairs some endure, I’m thankful that’s not been my experience.

My vehicle looks as good now as it was new.

I had extended warranty to 6 years which expired Nov 18...

I’ve owned many BMWs and was fortunate to drive the crap out of them while living in Germany..... I’m contemplating shipping my Blue beast to the UK next year... for a final few months of fun on the Continent ...But I won’t be letting her go anytime soon.
You burn no OIL???? Damn, that must be nice. I burn oil, but only when I drive it hard, which is pretty much most of the time. But, the first owner was a woman who used it to transport her and her kids around, so there's no way the car was driven hard before I bought it. And, I also heard that the brake-in for the X5/X6M's should be mostly hard driving, so that the oil seals or whatever it is will fully seat. I guess it makes sense, as why the hell would you want a 600 horsepower truck if you didn't want to drive it fast? So, BMW was thinking that would be a no brainer for people like us. But not to the average joe who thinks that a X5M is identical to an X5. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:08 AM   #30
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
You burn no OIL???? Damn, that must be nice. I burn oil, but only when I drive it hard, which is pretty much most of the time. But, the first owner was a woman who used it to transport her and her kids around, so there's no way the car was driven hard before I bought it. And, I also heard that the brake-in for the X5/X6M's should be mostly hard driving, so that the oil seals or whatever it is will fully seat. I guess it makes sense, as why the hell would you want a 600 horsepower truck if you didn't want to drive it fast? So, BMW was thinking that would be a no brainer for people like us. But not to the average joe who thinks that a X5M is identical to an X5. LOL.
I’ve mentioned before on here in joking that I feel deprived by not having either prescribed oil consumption rates, or worse as with some of our previous vehicles. Perhaps it is time to start tracking-it and really see what it takes to burn oil in this.

My only concern moving forward is that we only have space to keep one vehicle inside...and the beasts spot has now been taken my my wife’s new wheels...

I know she will spend more time when cold than previously on BMW Life Support... but to keep the battery in good shape through the winter or while on our travels, can live with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #31
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I’ve mentioned before on here in joking that I feel deprived by not having either prescribed oil consumption rates, or worse as with some of our previous vehicles. Perhaps it is time to start tracking-it and really see what it takes to burn oil in this.

My only concern moving forward is that we only have space to keep one vehicle inside...and the beasts spot has now been taken my my wife’s new wheels...

I know she will spend more time when cold than previously on BMW Life Support... but to keep the battery in good shape through the winter or while on our travels, can live with that.
I don't burn any oil either. I think a lot of what drives repairs on BMWs is the climate it's in. The hotter the more rapidly they fall apart.
Most of my issues are seals fail and plastic bits fail. Plastic embrittlement on BMWs is huge issue in tropical/desert climates. Most BMW owners can attest when you live in Texas, the cars fall apart after about 5 years. Oil leaks, sensor failures, and etc. My X5M is about the same milage as yours, but I can't hardly remove a plastic connector on mine without it disintegrating. Its the quality of the plastics BMW uses and the the heat here. I hear folks who live in colder problems go a lot longer without oil leaks. No one here hasn't replaced their E70 engine partition at least 1x times. The temperatures are much more moderate in Europe than in the southern US. We see routinely 40c+ weather daily in the summer and my interior gets up to 65c+ no problem. Even at night were only 30C+. Even in winter I run the a/c here.... Heat is very occasional use.

My problems have always been of the nature of replacing a $50 oil seal that takes 20 hours of labor. Oil pan's, rear main seal (multiple times), valve cover gaskets, oil return block, etc. They've all failed because they became embrittled. Heck just look at the interiors of a warm climate interior and the plastics bubble up on buttons, stearing wheels, etc.

P.S. my 2013 mini cooper has had 0 problems. But my 550i/X5M/4.8i have all had tons of oil leaks. Everyone I know here has the same problems my brothers 2015 X3 2.8i is leaking from the valve cover and oil filter. Same with my friends X1. So something about high temps is an issue with the oil seals for BMWs.

Last edited by Thecastle; 03-01-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #32
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Good write-up.... I now feel your pain...

My son has his mom’s 2015 X3 28i, it was a demo... bought 6 months old with 9000km...and 6 years warranty...in Sep 15...

Never consumed oil between changes either...and never had a thing wrong...
Somehow I feel ripped off by BMW... the 6 year warranty is up this year ... with the timing chain running for a further year and I believe thermostat or something for a year after that...

I refer to it as our own little BMW experiment.... waiting for it to blow...

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 03-01-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:11 AM   #33
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good write-up.... I now feel your pain...

My son has his mom’s 2015 X3 28i, it was a demo... bought 6 months old with 9000km...and 6 years warranty...in Sep 15...

Never consumed oil between changes either...and never had a thing wrong...
Somehow I feel ripped off by BMW... the 6 year warranty is up this year ... with the timing chain running for a further year and I believe thermostat or something for a year after that...

I refer to it as our own little BMW experiment.... waiting for it to blow...

Mine is really starting to burn oil now. I drive it a little less hard, still burning oil. I think I know why: theres major smoke coming out of the passenger side of the engine near the back of it. Is it a valve cover gasket or something like that? Runs OK. Just a few engine malfunction notices but I turn off the truck

BTW, where are you located? It's still winter in Vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #34
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I’m in relatively covid free NB...At least for now... Winter in Van... that’s a joke, Right������
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #35
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I’m in relatively covid free NB...At least for now... Winter in Van... that’s a joke, Right������
Naw I wouldn't worry about it, the death rate is only 8% https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That makes it what, 80x more deadly the flu and 4x worse than the 1918 flu? Nothing to worry about!

Apparently the reason why most people are dying is from shitting themselves to death hence the run on TP. As long as you have lots of TP you'll survive. Oh and ammo.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:41 AM   #36
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
I've burned about half a gallon of oil on the S63 with 70K mileage running 5K miles. Totally fine with me. The N63 I had on my CPO 650i with 43K mileage burned about half a gallon every 1K mile, horrendous compared to the S63
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #37
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
interesting most folks with the S63 haven't reported oil burning.. What do you suspect is the cause? Neither my N63TU or S63's burn any oil. Both have around 60-70K miles.

Most n63 cases seem related to valve stem seals.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #38
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ha, yeah, no snow, except for a bit in January. My X5M does not like the winter, it's built for summer!
Appreciate 0