XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-04-2020, 03:23 AM   #89
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x5m | 2001 BMW 540i m

wish me luck.

Found them a bit cheaper!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #90
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Good luck with the stealer ....

I took out the stock s63 crap out, put in the m5 turbos, new crankcase system with catch cans, I have some intakes and chargepipes I put together myself have over 3k miles on it already

Have had the truck for almost 5 years now and chased that fucking engine malfunction forever... truck is more reliable now than ever.
I saw you installed m5 exhuast manifold and m5 turbos... & anything special needed to do that swap?

What do you think about this current listing on ebay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #91
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

those are not m5 turbos

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #92
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nothing special at all if you use the OEM chargepipe

You need to route a hose into each intake bank for the recirculating valve since that port on the turbos is gone

The primary 02 sensors need to be swapped left to right

Everything else is plug and play - I made my own chargepipes by using the same boost actuator for the turbos for the BOV's to have vacuum operated BOV's that vented to atmosphere which works fine with no CEL and it makes all the turbo noises with the spooling and blowoff was fun for a bit.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #93
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsniperr View Post
I saw you installed m5 exhuast manifold and m5 turbos... & anything special needed to do that swap?

This is a more reliable place :
PACIFICMOTORS.com , there’s a set on there for a good price and manifold too.

On a side note, why are the m5 turbo cost $3,500 new? Give turbolab your turbo for a stage 2 for cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #94
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Quote:

This is a more reliable place :
PACIFICMOTORS.com , there's a set on there for a good price and manifold too.

On a side note, why are the m5 turbo cost $3,500 new? Give turbolab your turbo for a stage 2 for cheaper.

I looked into Turbo Lab and I wasn't feeling the turn around time on the turbo rebuilds. I offered to pay more to expedite and no luck, oh well. 😂Someone will be happy to take my $$$ - and obviously it's not Turbo Lab.

Extreme powerhouse is in Las Vegas. Pure Turbos are in LA. I'd be happy to go with those options for the price and the upgrade when it comes down to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #95
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Weistec has a set too

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15273...RoCTlYQAvD_BwE

Last edited by frankenm; 04-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Apparently can buy turbos separately....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #96
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The last 24 hours of my life have been hectic.

X5m got broken into and my firearm stolen.
Was able to get a quick glimpse of them while running through my neighbor hood with my ar15.

They are extremely lucky they got away because in Nevada the law is do whatever to defend yourself and property. It's truly the wild Wild West and the police told me I had every right to shoot them.

Oh well. Window is fixed. Firearm will be hopefully recovered it's only a matter of time...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #97
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have my car apart ready for the blow off valves. Map Performace .com does an absolute horrible job of shipping on time. Next day aired on Friday today is Thursday with no blow off valve. Don't order from them!

I ran the car without the airbox and I think I confirmed the issue! I'm hearing that "turbo wobble" on one turbo bank and I noticed that smoke is coming from that one..

The other bank has no noise and no smoke ?

So is it possible this car is only boosting on one turbo ?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #98
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is the video !
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #99
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

That is just the noise from the vacuum pump which is on the same bank.
On the smoke issue, how did you find out it’s on bank 1?
Both bank shares the same exhaust(rear exit). Unless you remove the downpipe to troubleshoot smoke. If it smoke only on one side of turbo then that turbo seal is shot.
If its on both side turbo then it is the valve seal because the exhaust manifold share both bank. Or it could be both turbo and valve seals. But I’d replace the turbo seal first since its cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #100
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
That is just the noise from the vacuum pump which is on the same bank.
On the smoke issue, how did you find out itÂ’s on bank 1?
Both bank shares the same exhaust(rear exit). Unless you remove the downpipe to troubleshoot smoke. If it smoke only on one side of turbo then that turbo seal is shot.
If its on both side turbo then it is the valve seal because the exhaust manifold share both bank. Or it could be both turbo and valve seals. But IÂ’d replace the turbo seal first since its cheaper.

I wish in the video I would have shown the other turbo. It was not leaking any white white smoke at all. Im thinking its that bank because I get codes for that bank I believe earlier in my diag.

I will def start with the turbos to see if that helps the smoke issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #101
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

MAPERFORMANCE.com is COMPLETE TRASH

DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!

Claim all their product is in stock and after you order they charge you before they ship.

They ship up to 3 weeks out after you order !

DROPSHIPPING 101
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #102
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

Just found CCV crossover cracked.

Doing this hose with the two other 1-4 / 5-8 bank ccv hoses on Friday out of precautionary.

Will be making the move on the turbos next. Just trying to swallow labor on it($1440 r&r)Which is something I would like to personally do on the car turbos on top doesn't seem THAT HARD to do.

If the valve stems need to be done, that's one hell of a job. I wouldn't mind taking it on considering I was a tech for 5 years.

It's just a matter of location. After the car got broke into here I've been trying to get a house with garage instead of a LUX apartment.

Be on the lookout for some awesome DIY posts 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #103
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Yup that guy is super common to break and throw codes. Generally the side ones will be in much better shape, and they are a huge pain in the ass compared to that one. I would recommend just do the top one carefully, and see where you are at that point.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #104
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Doing this hose with the two other 1-4 / 5-8 bank ccv hoses on Friday out of precautionary.

Will be making the move on the turbos next. Just trying to swallow labor on it($1440 r&r)Which is something I would like to personally do on the car turbos on top doesn't seem THAT HARD to do.

If the valve stems need to be done, that's one hell of a job. I wouldn't mind taking it on considering I was a tech for 5 years.

It's just a matter of location. After the car got broke into here I've been trying to get a house with garage instead of a LUX apartment.

Be on the lookout for some awesome DIY posts ��
Turbos are not bad at all do since this is reverse flow engine so you wont have any problem at all doing them (tightening and loosening the header to turbo clamps are a bit tricky but other then that its pretty straight forward)

Get all new clamps when you do it, I tried to reuse them and despite new graphite gaskets, they still leaked a bit as they were stretched and had to go back in and redo it.

Valve stem seals is 40+ hours for a seasoned tech. I spent 120+ hours on mine as I ended up pulling the heads (while in car, I don't have a lift, NOT fun) to lap the exhaust valves which were pitted pretty bad and remove the carbon build-up which was excessive on not only the valves but pistons and combustion chambers and did a mild port and polish while I was in there... Good time to replace alot of other stuff while you are at it if you have the time like I did (Vacuum pump (on sale for 60 bucks from 450!!!), water pump, pressure regulators, tensioner pulley, vacuum hoses)

I painted the valve covers while I was at it....which was kinda dumb, I forgot you cant really even see them on the N63 with its lame air cleaner setup when its back together...They would look pretty decent on a S63 like yours since you can see a more of the engine with its different intake/air filter design so if you decide to do it, I have some tips on painting them if interested.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-16-2020 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #105
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Be on the lookout for some awesome DIY posts 😎
FYI - this top connecting vacuum hose is under BMW extended warranty
SI B01 05 17
S63 ENGINE: ENGINE VENT PIPE (CONNECTING PIECE) - LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION TO 10 YEARS/120,000 MILES

You can go to any BMW dealers and ask them about SI B01 05 17, they should replace it for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #106
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, this just happened. Will update you when I get them!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:07 AM   #107
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Be on the lookout for some awesome DIY posts ��
Turbos are not bad at all do since this is reverse flow engine so you wont have any problem at all doing them (tightening and loosening the header to turbo clamps are a bit tricky but other then that its pretty straight forward)

Get all new clamps when you do it, I tried to reuse them and despite new graphite gaskets, they still leaked a bit as they were stretched and had to go back in and redo it.

Valve stem seals is 40+ hours for a seasoned tech. I spent 120+ hours on mine as I ended up pulling the heads (while in car, I don't have a lift, NOT fun) to lap the exhaust valves which were pitted pretty bad and remove the carbon build-up which was excessive on not only the valves but pistons and combustion chambers and did a mild port and polish while I was in there... Good time to replace alot of other stuff while you are at it if you have the time like I did (Vacuum pump (on sale for 60 bucks from 450!!!), water pump, pressure regulators, tensioner pulley, vacuum hoses)

I painted the valve covers while I was at it....which was kinda dumb, I forgot you cant really even see them on the N63 with its lame air cleaner setup when its back together...They would look pretty decent on a S63 like yours since you can see a more of the engine with its different intake/air filter design so if you decide to do it, I have some tips on painting them if interested.

Thanks your input 👍 I just ordered both sets of clamps & gaskets, i would normally always replace these in the field as the threads 9/10 would strip.

I included my order below, let me know if I'm missing anything.... another $100 + in parts.

The crossover tube was installed recently at the shop. I drove like a grandma to the shop so it wouldn't be to hot to remove but sure enough the s63 was boiling hot when I pooped the hood. Easy CCV hose fix considering the fact I had the tech do it for free. I'm sure he had fun with that hot ass hose 😂

I was consulted by the shop foreman the intake manifold CCV are a pain to do and look in good shape so I didn't do them.

I'm going to be looking into adding catch cans. Seams like the reasonable thing to do.

Very possible I may do the AUX water pump for precautionary reasons.

I'm really crossing my fingers and praying for a miracle for the turbo installs to stop the smoking from The exhaust . It may be a huge pipe dream.

I have been weighing the variables out in my mind for a few weeks.

$4-5k to replace valve stemsfrom independent shop.

$6k-7k for s63 rebuild from LA. (Seams reasonable, spend a bit more for a brand new motor but what's the car with ??)

$10k for the rebuilt engine + install in LA

OR

$70 pair of seals
Valve cover gaskets, misc $200
AMG tool kit rentals $$$ ??? $200-
40-50 hrs of my time
Blood sweat and tears 🩸
Run the risk of finding more damage on engine parts under take down to do seals.. (biggest fear)

Doing a complete swap myself wouldn't be a bad idea.. but where ? Is the issue.

Turbos are already on their way so I will have to decide.

I have no idea where I would do the turbos or valve stem seals if I wanted to do the DIY. I may be able to get away with it in my apartment complex but I would feel rushed and would most likely cut corners know if. Twelfths.

The only place I could do it is in CA at a relative home 400 miles way in the Bay Area. Long drive. And a sketchy one if my turbo is leaking smoke slightly from the housing.

This car has cost about $10k in repairs parts + labor to date in first 3 months. A real unfortunate lesson learned.

So far I have replaced;

- top cooling hoses and y pipe + under cooling hoses (turbo cooling)
- front and rear diff service
- oil change

(Done by EUROPEAN AUTOMOTIVE IN Bakersfield (horrible shop). Bad luck. Horrible workmanship. Cut many corners and left things leaking.

- cooling hoses redone with oem clamps
- air charge compressor duct (plastic air duct feeding into turbo)
- vaccum pump + waste gate hoses
- waste gate adjustment bank 1
- boost solenoids + holding bracket
- lower radiator hose with fan clutch relay
- smaller misc cooling hose leaks
- upper and lower timing cover gaskets
- oil pan gaskets
- oil pressure sensor
- transfer case fluid service
- front and rear rear diff fluid
- drivers side wheel hub
- drives side axle (ripped boot)
- ccv cross over tube.
- rear window
- new turbos not yet installed

Fearing on what's next....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #108
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

Turbos should be in the mail in the next 24 hours.
I'll be getting them put in for $1k. I feel like thats pretty pricey but hey I dont have tools nor do I have a place to do it. Oh well.

Im getting rid of the stock airbox and going with 2 K&N Filters.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #109
mr____p
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post

Ill be doing something similar to your set up today with these air filters.

I was curious did you need any special rubber boots (going into turbo secured by 10m nut) or have any fitment issues?

OR did you use OEM ones with the air filter. Curious to see how you routed it and if it was just plug and play with those worm clamps on the rubber boot
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #110
Dave00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5M

Quote:
Ill be doing something similar to your set up today with these air filters.

I was curious did you need any special rubber boots (going into turbo secured by 10m nut) or have any fitment issues?

OR did you use OEM ones with the air filter. Curious to see how you routed it and if it was just plug and play with those worm clamps on the rubber boot
Don't understand why you want to put the air intakes/filters there as the heat soak that close to the turbos is gong to be horrible. I don't see how that will help anything performance wise???
Appreciate 1