XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
COMBOX

Has anyone gotten a combox upgrade/update on their E70? My lease ended on my 2013 on Feb 1. On the 10th the dealer made me a deal I couldn't pass up and I bought it. Two days later I came in for a complimentary detailing and they offered to do an upgrade on the combox saying that the existing one would no longer work with a 4g network in a few months.

When the vehicle was handed back it wouldn't pair with my phone. I stopped in a parking lot on the way home so that I could reset the phone and restart the vehicle. After some tweaking it connected but then it wouldn't stream music. I went back to the dealership and they "changed" a setting and then it started streaming. But here's the kicker. Information on music no longer appears and emails also no longer appear. Also pictures from contacts don't appear. This information was clear and available the day I turned it in and on the day that I purchased it and on the day that I brought it in for detailing.

After three days, the dealer says that my phone isn't compatible and that it is the problem. However, the loaner a 2017 X5 worked perfectly fine with my phone including streaming and data as well as email alerts. And pictures from contacts show up on the Nav screen with no issues.

Notably, I've rented BMW's from Avis 8 times over the last 3 years and I've never had any issue with pairing or getting streaming data etc. How can an updated combox cause this problem? Isn't it more likely that they didn't use updated software?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:

It took a month and a half and finally one of the tech's realized that when my ComBox was upgraded, the multimedia software that was installed simultaneously was the software that was available in 2013. Once "update 1008" was put in -- taking all of 15 mins -- all the features worked as before and now my Combox is good for the next generation of 4 and 5G networks.

Nice to have my baby back after all this time.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      04-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

This is interesting information as I have seen on my 2012 that my emails and SMS messages don't show up anymore. What is the Combox update and how much did they charge?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

http://www.bmw.com/update

Go there an put in your VIN, it will give you the update for your combox
      04-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
This is interesting information as I have seen on my 2012 that my emails and SMS messages don't show up anymore. What is the Combox update and how much did they charge?
I wasn't charged anything. I also wasn't told that if I wanted I could get a $200 visa gift card and just keep my old combox. Considering that its 200 bucks and also the amazing hassle this was to do, I say take the $200. Other than the day I activated my X5, I've never pressed the button in 3 years.
Appreciate 0