XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #89
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
Well mine broke this weekend. 50mph when it happened, fluids everywhere, lots of damage.

Can't wait to trade this thing
Sorry to hear that! Hope everything is OK.
Did the original drive shaft (from factory) fail, or was it the one replaced under the silent recall?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #90
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Sorry to hear that! Hope everything is OK.
Did the original drive shaft (from factory) fail, or was it the one replaced under the silent recall?
Original. BMW Bellevue inspected it under the recall protocol and decided it was good to go. I'm sure they'll rethink that approach after this repair bill. It's going to be huge.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #91
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Original. BMW Bellevue inspected it under the recall protocol and decided it was good to go. I'm sure they'll rethink that approach after this repair bill. It's going to be huge.
That sucks! I don't understand why BMW would not just go ahead and replace the older model drive shafts given that when it fails (a) it's extremely dangerous, and (b) very expensive (several thousand $$) to fix the damage. Plus, I don't have a good opinion of BMW Bellevue's service dept.

What's the extent of damage? Transmission? transfer case?

I took some photos of my driveshaft and convinced BMW seattle that it was indeed failing and got my replaced a few months ago. Hopefully, the new one does not see the same fate.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #92
rennis
Captain
Rep

Your opinion is valid re: BMW Bellevue

I don't know the damage yet, I'll find out tomorrow. I'd guess at least the transfer case.

The recall protocol is so dumb. Just recall all of them BMW. You're putting people in danger with this shit.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #93
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your opinion is valid re: BMW Bellevue

I don't know the damage yet, I'll find out tomorrow. I'd guess at least the transfer case.

The recall protocol is so dumb. Just recall all of them BMW. You're putting people in danger with this shit.
Agreed 100%
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #94
Baz6016
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3M 2023

X5 front prop shaft fail

On Saturday my 2010 X5 decided to to breakdown and leave me stranded at the side of the road. I was picking up speed from the traffic lights (not aggressively) reaching around 40mph The car started making quite a loud noise from underneath the gear lever area. After pulling over and looking under the car I could see oil pouring on the road and the end of the prop shaft hanging down from where it should be attached to the transfer box.
After getting towed to our BMW dealership we were told it's a known fault and there was a recall for this issue.
I had a call from the service manager at the dealership this afternoon stating as a gesture of good will BMW will pay £7000 cover all the parts but I would have to pay £1100 for the labour. Even having a dealership warranty won't cover this as it will only cover a maximum of £5000 per claim.
Has anybody had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #95
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Add another one for negative BMW Bellevue feelings. They wouldn't set up an appointment to look at the drive shaft (unless on my dime) since the computer doesn't show an active recall. ...even knowing it is the faulty part number and the car having related failure symptoms.

Just made the jump over to Seattle BMW, and from the initial phone call I am much happier. Appointment set up for next week to have it looked at with some other items.

My question though is with so many post on here of the drive shaft checking out "OK" then (very) soon after failing, what can we do to leverage a replacement of an "OK'd" bad part numbered drive shaft?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #96
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Add another one for negative BMW Bellevue feelings. They wouldn't set up an appointment to look at the drive shaft (unless on my dime) since the computer doesn't show an active recall. ...even knowing it is the faulty part number and the car having related failure symptoms.

Just made the jump over to Seattle BMW, and from the initial phone call I am much happier. Appointment set up for next week to have it looked at with some other items.

My question though is with so many post on here of the drive shaft checking out "OK" then (very) soon after failing, what can we do to leverage a replacement of an "OK'd" bad part numbered drive shaft?
This is what I did on my 2012 X5 to get it replaced:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=83

This is at BMW Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #97
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
This is what I did on my 2012 X5 to get it replaced:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=83

This is at BMW Seattle.
Excellent info, thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #98
rennis
Captain
Rep

BMW Bellevue inspected mine and said it was fine a while back. I figured they were full of shit and also figured eventually the part would fail. I've been getting some highway and low speed vibrations and I've suspected the driveshaft was to blame. BMW Bellevue also couldn't diagnose that problem when I brought it up.

I'm guessing the vibration will be gone, what with my shiny new driveshaft and transmission next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #99
champ198
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i

I just purchased a used 2011 X5 50i. If I had this drive shaft failure, would I have to pay out of pocket (not original owner), or would there be some type of coverage for this part? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #100
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
I just purchased a used 2011 X5 50i. If I had this drive shaft failure, would I have to pay out of pocket (not original owner), or would there be some type of coverage for this part? thanks
Yes it's warrantied to 10 years/120K miles. After that, no coverage.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #101
champ198
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yes it's warrantied to 10 years/120K miles. After that, no coverage.
Thanks for the info. I can sleep tonight. . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #102
dannyny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

just purchased a 2009 4.8 i do not have any kind of warranty. the vehicle currently has 73k miles. is there anything i should do at the moment? am i covered from this issue? should i take it into bmw get inspected? thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #103
MAK3N3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E70, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
just purchased a 2009 4.8 i do not have any kind of warranty. the vehicle currently has 73k miles. is there anything i should do at the moment? am i covered from this issue? should i take it into bmw get inspected? thanks in advanced.
Check your PM, but you can check here in the mean time:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

Chances are yours may not be covered like mine. To visually inspect you can crawl under your car and check the play, look at the hinges in the u-joint towards the transfer case and observe any oil like splatter coming off the drive shaft or oily seepage coming out from the joints...this will give a good indication. Dealer wanted about $1300 to replace mine on my 08 4.8. I got my DS online for about $800 did it myself...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #104
dannyny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK3N3 View Post
Check your PM, but you can check here in the mean time:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

Chances are yours may not be covered like mine. To visually inspect you can crawl under your car and check the play, look at the hinges in the u-joint towards the transfer case and observe any oil like splatter coming off the drive shaft or oily seepage coming out from the joints...this will give a good indication. Dealer wanted about $1300 to replace mine on my 08 4.8. I got my DS online for about $800 did it myself...
Thanks for the link, only the airbag recall comes up at the moment. since i just bought the car how will BMW get notified of the new ownership? is there something i have to do on my end?

i crawled under the car earlier and i did not see any oily residual. how many hours does this take to do? if i buy the shaft and paid an indy 100/hour would it be about the same as going to BMW? i certainly hope i do not have this issue, i feel i have already dealt with every other issue so far and if the car gods can give me a break on this one as well id be thankful.

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #105
MAK3N3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E70, E90

I did mine on my back with the car on jack stands at all four corners, you want as much clearance as possible and I wasted a lot of time on mine, probably a solid 6 hours taking my sweet ass time and recoup from banging my head pretty hard once.

A good indie should be able to it in 2-3 hours max, I just didn't have a lift and all that clearance to work with.

FWIW, mine still does not show up as a recall two years later. I think it was mostly from 2010 up models but the info is so unclear on this and in the beginning BMW was checking all V8 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
Thanks for the link, only the airbag recall comes up at the moment. since i just bought the car how will BMW get notified of the new ownership? is there something i have to do on my end?

i crawled under the car earlier and i did not see any oily residual. how many hours does this take to do? if i buy the shaft and paid an indy 100/hour would it be about the same as going to BMW? i certainly hope i do not have this issue, i feel i have already dealt with every other issue so far and if the car gods can give me a break on this one as well id be thankful.

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #106
dannyny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK3N3 View Post
I did mine on my back with the car on jack stands at all four corners, you want as much clearance as possible and I wasted a lot of time on mine, probably a solid 6 hours taking my sweet ass time and recoup from banging my head pretty hard once.

A good indie should be able to it in 2-3 hours max, I just didn't have a lift and all that clearance to work with.

FWIW, mine still does not show up as a recall two years later. I think it was mostly from 2010 up models but the info is so unclear on this and in the beginning BMW was checking all V8 models.
thanks again for the info. it helps alot being a first time clueless bmw owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #107
n_sievers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
2012 X6M  [0.00]
So finally got mine replaced yesterday. I had brought this up previously when in for another service issue as I could feel a slight vibtation when lightly accelarating under load but was told they inspected and had to be my tires........It was in for another issue so i just let it go for the time being and learned to pick my battles one at a time. I drive the car only rarely so gave it some time and inspected the driveshaft myself and found some signs of grease splatter and confirmed it was the old part # so schedule it to go in and told my SA I was aware of the catastrophic damage that can be associated with failure and in preparing for an upcoming road trip did not feel comfortable driving it. I was told that even though i received the letter of warranty extension the production date fell outside of the range but would inspect and make a determination. Low and behold they found it showing initial signs of failure and replaced. Now the shake on acceleration is gone!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #108
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I have read several threads of this issue, has anyone determined what the END DATE is of manufacture dates that had the old / bad driveshaft number? For example, I don't think I have seen any 2012 MY or higher with this issue, am I mistaken?
I just have yet to crawl under the car to see the part number on mine. Build date Feb 2012.

~~ EDIT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOLD ON: Just read THIS on the OTHER driveshaft failure thread:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=58

Recall just officially announced for the driveshafts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/b...shaft-recalls/

Looks like mine is in the clear. Manufactured in Feb of 2011, this is only for X5s build pretty much the middle of 2010
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 06-23-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #109
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_sievers View Post
So finally got mine replaced yesterday. I had brought this up previously when in for another service issue as I could feel a slight vibtation when lightly accelarating under load but was told they inspected and had to be my tires........It was in for another issue so i just let it go for the time being and learned to pick my battles one at a time. I drive the car only rarely so gave it some time and inspected the driveshaft myself and found some signs of grease splatter and confirmed it was the old part # so schedule it to go in and told my SA I was aware of the catastrophic damage that can be associated with failure and in preparing for an upcoming road trip did not feel comfortable driving it. I was told that even though i received the letter of warranty extension the production date fell outside of the range but would inspect and make a determination. Low and behold they found it showing initial signs of failure and replaced. Now the shake on acceleration is gone!
Christ this sounds terrible. Firstly; you got a letter indicating you were covered. Secondly; Your Truck had the old part installed in production which means their dates of coverage are absolutely useless. Thirdly; Your truck falls outside the spectrum of coverage?? WHAT BS!! You had to beg them to replace a few hundred dollar part, MSRP that is, which has been flagged as a serious issue that could cause catastrophic failure. This is insane. I'm happy you got this fixed but this could have been a shit show for you.

Last edited by StatenEye; 06-23-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #110
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I have read several threads of this issue, has anyone determined what the END DATE is of manufacture dates that had the old / bad driveshaft number? For example, I don't think I have seen any 2012 MY or higher with this issue, am I mistaken?
I just have yet to crawl under the car to see the part number on mine. Build date Feb 2012.

~~ EDIT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOLD ON: Just read THIS on the OTHER driveshaft failure thread:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=58

Recall just officially announced for the driveshafts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/b...shaft-recalls/

Looks like mine is in the clear. Manufactured in Feb of 2011, this is only for X5s build pretty much the middle of 2010
But if you look at RealOEM, it says that the part is used up to 2013. I tried looking under the car but wasn't sure where to look. I didn't see anything that looked like a driveshaft...
Appreciate 0