XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
marc_benz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB8715 View Post
Damn sorry man, that looks bad. Hopefully they can fix the bumper or maybe modify it someway to look more factory installed.

I have an M and had the dealer install my hitch, looks just the way it should from the factory. Maybe ask another dealer their opinion.
Yeah, thanks.

I specifically if this is how it would have been installed if ordered as an option upon purchase and they said yes - hard to believe so I will take it up with BMW canada if I have too...

Would you have pics of your M by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #46
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Sorry to hear about that. It's a real bummer.

It seems other dealers are doing this as well...so in all fairness, what you have actually may have been done 'by the book'. If that is the case that book needs to be thrown out, IMHO.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ort-hitch.html
      06-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #47
twozzie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i Xdrive

All, I didn't want to start another Hitch thread so I hijacked this one. What is the best hitch that requires zero to minimal trim cutting? I have an X5 4.8 with the Aero package. The only one I see is the Execuhitch but its gonna be $1600 installed and I'll only use it once or twice per month if that.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #48
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
Twozzie I have the Aero package also and I will be installing the Curt hitch next week my self. I will also be ordering the wire harness from BMW as it set up to install with out cutting into any wires.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #49
twozzie
Private
United_States
Rep

Ah I decided to go with hidden hitch as you still use the bmw cross bar, the Curt instructions says to discard it which I didn't like although the Curt one trims less off the lower facia. Gonna use the BMW harness too.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #50
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR/X5d w/Adaptive Drive

So I'm a little bit late with my photos but here is the only hitch anyone should install in their E70/E71 X5/X6, anything less just looks cheap and ugly IMO. Of course I'm talking about Execuhitch and yes it cost a lot more than the Curt hitch, to be exact I paid $1012 for everything shipped to my door. Keep in mind it also came with programming which is required for any hitch that is installed on an X5/X6 as just for that alone the dealer can charge $200-$250.

I did my own installation and I'm not a BMW tech but after about 3.5 hours everything was installed and ready.

In my opinion nothing compares to the Execuhitch. Nice, hidden away when not in use and most important no cutting. Enough with the talk, here are the photos:
Attached Images

Last edited by DFR; 06-07-2014 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #51
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hey DFR can you let me know what your height is from the ground to the top of the ball please and thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #52
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

More photos:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #53
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #54
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #55
KrisHorton
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M and E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_benz View Post
I'm still in shock...the pain will come soon.
They are looking to see what they can do to fix it - they agree it looks like ass but I don't know what they can do...
I paid half of the $1625 for the job and wi pay the rest once they find an adequate solution.
Oh man, that's terrible. And what a ripoff too. I can't see on what planet a hitch+install should cost that much. I believe you got "BMW Taxed" on that one.

Hopefully they resolve it, but based on what I've seen on other M-Sports, this is the standard and they may argue that. It'll end up being a frustrating case of buyer beware probably, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

We have an OEM hitch on our X5M and I wish that we didn't. It has been useful once or twice, but it does disturb the look of the rear "diffuser" area. I'd prefer a clean factory bumper over the cutout, but we bought the car used this way, so we knew what we were getting into.

Kris
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #56
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Well I Installed the Curt Hitch and I found it easy to do. I think it looks good with the Sport package.No Cutting of the bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #57
twozzie
Private
United_States
Rep

Looks good. Did you reuse the BMW metal cross member or did you discard it?

I have a different bumper with the Aero kit so I'll see how easy mine is to install using the Hidden Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #58
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Nope I discarded it. You will loose the rear BMW towing pin holes and the Hitch replaces the crossbar. I bought the BMW wire harness which came with the module. It was easy to install the hitch and harness but I have one step left to do. I need to find the diagram for the fuse panel to connect the wires .
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #59
twozzie
Private
United_States
Rep

Superb, thanks. I'm hoping the hidden Hitch maintains the tow hook feature as installation says to reuse the cross member. If I have trouble with the harness install I may ping you for help
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #60
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The Bmw wire harness has all the connections for the comfort control and the module so it was simple.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #61
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
In my opinion nothing compares to the Execuhitch. Nice, hidden away when not in use and most important no cutting. Enough with the talk, here are the photos:
The execuhitch looks great, no doubt about it.

For anyone who tows more than one thing which can require various hitch heights, I still recommend the Curt so you can adapt to the trailer. Otherwise you're just hoping the hitch height works...which isn't always the case.

I have 3 different stingers that I use.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #62
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
That looks good, I don't have that bumper though... is that aftermarket? The tow hitch looks like it belongs there lol.
Oups sorry. I tought you had the X5M.

I like the way it's installed but had I known better I would probably have gone with the execuhitch/invisihitch. I believe it would stand a better chance of going rust free along the years since you can take out the ball mount when not using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Its looks like you are missing a plastic filler piece that fits in the new opening so you don't see metal in the cut out. What is the silver we are seeing -= the muffler? I have never seen that in any other picture of the OEM tow kit for the X5M.
I'm interested to know more. I thought every OEM install was this way on the X5M. Mine was done by the dealer since I ordered it that way. Here's another picture. Yes I believe it's the muffler or the piece that proctects it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #63
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
The execuhitch looks great, no doubt about it.

For anyone who tows more than one thing which can require various hitch heights, I still recommend the Curt so you can adapt to the trailer. Otherwise you're just hoping the hitch height works...which isn't always the case.

I have 3 different stingers that I use.
Execuhitch fixed the various hitch heights issue. With every hitch they sell, they now also include an adapter which is inserted and allows you to use any hitch/ball mount. I just didn't put a photo of that adapter but I can try to snap one.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #64
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
That looks good, I don't have that bumper though... is that aftermarket? The tow hitch looks like it belongs there lol.
Oups sorry. I tought you had the X5M.

I like the way it's installed but had I known better I would probably have gone with the execuhitch/invisihitch. I believe it would stand a better chance of going rust free along the years since you can take out the ball mount when not using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Its looks like you are missing a plastic filler piece that fits in the new opening so you don't see metal in the cut out. What is the silver we are seeing -= the muffler? I have never seen that in any other picture of the OEM tow kit for the X5M.
I'm interested to know more. I thought every OEM install was this way on the X5M. Mine was done by the dealer since I ordered it that way. Here's another picture. Yes I believe it's the muffler or the piece that proctects it.
Google it. Every picture I have seen is all black in the cut out. I believe there is a filler pice so it doesn't look so unfinished.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #65
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Some pics of the curt hitch and how it looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #66
dan11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92, e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel X5 View Post
Some pics of the curt hitch and how it looks.
Did you have to cut a small piece out?
Appreciate 0