XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

2011 X5M injector replacement

All,

I just wanted to let the community know and for that have not done it that this is a must do if you have the ability and symptoms of needing new injectors.

My X5M is a 2011 and I bought it with 29xxx miles. Since the day I bought it I didn't know what to expect. But gradually through my various tunes and getting to know the car better over time I knew the injectors needed to replaced. This week I had all injectors and the coil packs replaced. Per my master tech I was running part #08 and the latest injector # is 11. That's a big jump.

I can't even begin to tell you that this is a completely different car. I reinstalled my VELOS tune and apparently I must have been running not nearly the amount of power cause it is now just stupidly more fast, responsive and pulls harder than it ever did.

Gas mileage is significantly better as well. When I would drive the X5M hard my gas would just drop like crazy. This weekend been driving it hard as can be and needle is dropping anywhere nearly as bad. Per my computer I'm averaging about 6mpg better than I have since owning the car. That's a lot of mileage for this gasoline drinking hot rod.

In addition to the forged 20s from VELOS we just put on, this SUV will surely give my SC M3 a run for it's money. If not bury it. The unsprung weight itself has helped steering response, turnin, and the X5M just feels lighter on its feet.

Currently I have about 35xxx miles. All, for those that have not done this it is a must.

My symptoms were lumpy idle, surging, trouble starting over, excessive black soot (I mean making my garage floor black and my catless M3 has never left a drop of black soot on the ground) check engine light but on board computer stating all systems ok and when at idle from a cold start the car would shake excessively. Like an earthquake.

One happy X5M owner today!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
TB8715
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Was this covered under warranty or out of pocket? What kind of cost did you incur?

I have lots of soot, this is my first X5M and its fast but no idea how fast it should be. I do feel like it is lower than it was 4k ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
akashyap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E46 M3

I was thinking about doing the same. Do you have the part number for the new injectors?
Stock
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Curious what kind of gas you usually put in. From what I've been seeing on here 91 octane (tree hugger crap) seems to be causing the injectors to fail for other members on the board. I have yet to see this issue with mine though after my 30k service I noticed a significant increase in power (the car was a bit sluggish before but I thought that was mainly due to my cracked vacuum line). BTW tried PM'ing you earlier this week but it said your inbox was full. I'll try again tomorrow

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

^ not that you asked but I always put 93, never anything less.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
zoex5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Ever since my injectors were replaced my beast pulls harder and drinks less gas as well. If you guys haven't done it yet you need to bother the hell out your service advisor to do it. It took me a few times bringing it into the dealership until they changed mines out. The car was getting front sway mounts replaced and just so happens the CAL came on. That's when they finally agreed to change out both injectors and spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Nice to hear they finally replaced them for you. Speed safely!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I am not sure if mine have ever been done? I have 100,000km or 60,000 miles and I don't seem to have start issues, I do have a bit of black soot but I chalk that up to catless down pipes and a white vehicle. I have a tune and it seems to pull like a freight train I was thinking about getting injectors, spark plugs and coil packs all done but I have a feeling that would be several thousand dollars and likely only "needed" because I spend too much time reading on forums
      03-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
zoex5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I am not sure if mine have ever been done? I have 100,000km or 60,000 miles and I don't seem to have start issues, I do have a bit of black soot but I chalk that up to catless down pipes and a white vehicle. I have a tune and it seems to pull like a freight train I was thinking about getting injectors, spark plugs and coil packs all done but I have a feeling that would be several thousand dollars and likely only "needed" because I spend too much time reading on forums
I have a black car so I didn't notice any soot around my bumper. My issue was that when I tried to start the car it would struggle. If I stopped for gas and tried restarting the car it would not fire up on the first try. After changing them it was night and day? I don't have a tune yet of course. I was literally choking when I found out prices of the extended warranty but good thing I opted for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

All,

Everything was covered under warranty. I only put 93 octane in.

Now I still haven't signed off on all the paperwork because the car is going back in this week for the brake upgrade. But, the dealer does a lot of good things for me in return I do my best bring them business and have spent a lot over the last 4 years on Dinan parts, labor, etc..

I kid you not all it is a completely different car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoex5m View Post
I have a black car so I didn't notice any soot around my bumper. My issue was that when I tried to start the car it would struggle. If I stopped for gas and tried restarting the car it would not fire up on the first try. After changing them it was night and day? I don't have a tune yet of course. I was literally choking when I found out prices of the extended warranty but good thing I opted for it.
Ok thank you, I had heard the slow start is the best tell tale...of course I am paranoid about that now but mine starts every time. Even in the -30deg it didn't like it but it always started first try.
      03-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

My local dealer won't replace that because they claimed BMW na won't approve for the replacement of the injectors, my car also doing low mpg.

I had the error code but the dealer reprogram everything the error code was gone. It was cylinder misfire.

I wish they replace the injectors for my car.
      03-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #13
X6Vancouver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I had all these symptons in my x6 50i and same story. After repairs it felt like what I always expect a bmw to feel like.
New injectors and coils were replaced (under warranty).
Now not even a year later same symptoms and I went into limp mode off the line about to have some fun with a 4.8 x5.....it hurt seeing him launch off.
I am bringing it in tmw for a computer scan. Im so turned off rite now to this car. If I didnt spend a arm n a leg on my Vellano wheels I would trade it for a raptor in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
stlcity
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Hmmmm.....now I am getting paranoid too....

No problems starting the car or accelerating it. I have space gray: have not noticed any black soot on the bumpers yet.

Thinking of doing an oil change once winter is done(hopefully sooooooon!!!)..will bring it up to my SA. Not sure they will agree to do it. Nothing to loose trying I guess.

Thanks OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Since my car is sapphire black it wasn't the paint the I noticed the soot accumulation. It was in the floor of my garage. Look at the pic attached.

I believe there is a service bulletin with regards to injectors. Especially the 50i for the X5 model.

Anyways, for those that have troubles I do recommend doing whatever you can to get them replaced. I too had te original code for a cylinder misfire and after months of the same feeling of the vehicle with regards to the injectors it was time for them to go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Since my car is sapphire black it wasn't the paint the I noticed the soot accumulation. It was in the floor of my garage. Look at the pic attached.

I believe there is a service bulletin with regards to injectors. Especially the 50i for the X5 model.

Anyways, for those that have troubles I do recommend doing whatever you can to get them replaced. I too had te original code for a cylinder misfire and after months of the same feeling of the vehicle with regards to the injectors it was time for them to go.
now i wish the engine malfunction l light up again, then i can have them to replace the fuel injectors.
also when you have your velo tunes installed, how long have to detune and go back to the dealer?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

For the tune it takes no time. Just throw the car in a battery tender, flash to stock file and then it's done. Very easy can did not reset the engine light. If you start the car up 5 times it will reset all engine or warning lights.

Easy stuff. The nice thing about VELOS and ESS product is the flashing on your time.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
stlcity
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post

Impressive.... Glad it's fixed..

In your original post u noted that your gas mileage was low and now it's better by about 6mpg. What were you getting in terms of mpg before and after the replacement? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm beginning to wonder if I have this issue as well. On the highway making a 2 hour trip going 75mph I averaged 14mpg. That's the BEST I've ever done. Whenever I fill up I reset the trip and I'm consistently getting 11-12 mpg with city/hwy combination driving. No CEL's have popped up and when I took it to the dealership for something unrelated, I asked them about replacing the injectors due to the service bulletin they told me I would have a CEL on or have trouble starting the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

My MPG got as low as 9. Now it's up to 16-17. For this thing ill take it any day.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
hj826
Rep
Drives: X6

I just tried to send you a PM, but apparently your inbox is full.. Do you mind making some space? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #22
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I have erased some stuff.
Appreciate 0