XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #23
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

So just ordered some 20W H8 creed LED.

Quote:
1 Max 20W output
2 4 pieces 5W CREE Q5 XP-E LED lights on each bulb
3 360-degree design
4 Twice brighter than most LED angel eyes on the market
5 Xenon White 6000K
6 Error Free. No flickering, no annoying warning message on dashboard
7 100% plug and play, no modification, no cutting and no drilling required
8 No wires hanging outside the headlight
Quote:
Change your yellowish Angel eyes light bulb with this super xenon white High Power bulb; match with your xenon headlight
Specially designed for BMW with No Warning Errors, bulb-out warning message; No computer reprogramming needed
Electrode : the use of copper electrode to prevent chemical - resistant, strong anti - electric
Built-in CREE LED chips for the best output quality
Operates with 9V-32V power. Never have to worry about burning out due to electrical error.
Direct replacement, plug and play with no modification needed
Will report back with pictures.
from the pictures 6k should be similar to OEM.
We will see.
If it looks good, I saved $180 compare to the lux.
If not, I wasted a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Why is this forum so pathetic? My first two posts have over 150 views and not a single reply/post. My questions are not out of the ordinary, and I would think there'd be many forum members here who could provide some worthwhile input to my questions? Pretty disappointing... Is xoutpost.com better? Serious question.
xoutpost is pretty dead also, at least when I signed up so I never use it. This topic has been beat to death since I've owned my car so don't say you can't find anything worthwhile on here because I know there are threads on the topic. I'll admit it takes longer than most forums to get a response on here but there are a bunch of helpful and genuine people on here, not fair to call them pathetic. I have LUX on mine and personally think it is the best option out there for aftermarket LED coronas, I'm sure there are some less expensive options that do the same thing but LUX has perfected their product and it works as advertised. I had one issue with mine and the left halo stopped working the second week after install. I emailed them and was given instructions to send the defective unit to them and was immediately shipped out a working replacement. Customer service is great and they honor their products so I highly recommend them

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
iMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 E70 3.0si Premium

Beat to death, i know...

Question though, how do the LED's perform in conjunction with the dimming feature? Courtesy lighting/with headlights activated?

Also... i just ordered/installed the $15 GP Thunder bulbs (direct from GP Thunder) over the weekend. 8500k. Saw a lot of good back-and-forth about them on numerous threads, so i figured I'd use them as a place-holder until i made a decision on which LED to choose. Long story short, wasn't impressed. At all. Cutting up my poor hands wasn't worth the $15. Definitely got rid of the dingy yellow color, but are barely visible during the day (honestly, I have to question if they're even working at times) and even at night, they seem far less bright than stocks.
You get what you pay for...

I know I'm the first to mention the GP on this thread, but in case anyone is reading this and thinking about taking the less expensive route, save your $20bill and put it towards LED's!

I really need to finally pull the trigger on some LUX's now...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMore
Beat to death, i know...

Question though, how do the LED's perform in conjunction with the dimming feature? Courtesy lighting/with headlights activated?

Also... i just ordered/installed the $15 GP Thunder bulbs (direct from GP Thunder) over the weekend. 8500k. Saw a lot of good back-and-forth about them on numerous threads, so i figured I'd use them as a place-holder until i made a decision on which LED to choose. Long story short, wasn't impressed. At all. Cutting up my poor hands wasn't worth the $15. Definitely got rid of the dingy yellow color, but are barely visible during the day (honestly, I have to question if they're even working at times) and even at night, they seem far less bright than stocks.
You get what you pay for...

I know I'm the first to mention the GP on this thread, but in case anyone is reading this and thinking about taking the less expensive route, save your $20bill and put it towards LED's!

I really need to finally pull the trigger on some LUX's now...
LUX do not dim.

Not sure about other LED types.
      03-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #27
W84IT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe M Sport

I purchased the new MTEC H8 V3 LED's on eBay for $230 and I'm very satisfied with the look...to me they seem just as bright as the 2012 angel eyes. I admire the people that have done the full retrofit but I personally couldn't justify spending that much on lights when there's other things that I would like to do to my X5...such as new wheels and tires, new struts and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #28
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
+1 on the mtec. I have them as well and am very happy. I think I got them shipped for 213.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #29
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

dtec v7. also matching LED fogs. evening and day pics

MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #30
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

That looks excellent! So 200 bucks for a good upgrade, that's not bad at all. I'll definitely keep the 2011 5.0 in mind as well as the 2012 then. Or go full retard with the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #31
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
That looks excellent! So 200 bucks for a good upgrade, that's not bad at all. I'll definitely keep the 2011 5.0 in mind as well as the 2012 then. Or go full retard with the X5M.
Keep in mind that you're looking at the above pictures in the most flattering fashion: dead straight on. It's no secret that once you start looking at the X5 from different angles that the outer halos will start dropping off very quickly.

In the end, whether you do halogen or LED lights, it will never look like the OEM LED coronas. It's a limitation of the design, and the only thing your bulbs will do is change the color of the emitted light.

There are two options: get an X5 that already has the updated LED coronas, or spend a few dollars on some aftermarket halogen or LED lights. They won't ever look anywhere close to the OEM LEDs, but will get rid of the piss yellow that comes as OEM. Just don't spend too much money on it, as it's just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Keep in mind that you're looking at the above pictures in the most flattering fashion: dead straight on. It's no secret that once you start looking at the X5 from different angles that the outer halos will start dropping off very quickly.

In the end, whether you do halogen or LED lights, it will never look like the OEM LED coronas. It's a limitation of the design, and the only thing your bulbs will do is change the color of the emitted light.

There are two options: get an X5 that already has the updated LED coronas, or spend a few dollars on some aftermarket halogen or LED lights. They won't ever look anywhere close to the OEM LEDs, but will get rid of the piss yellow that comes as OEM. Just don't spend too much money on it, as it's just not worth it.
Thanks P1, I appreciate you take the time for putting the whole pic together, been considering myself the upgrade but this is clear as 'LED bulbs'!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #33
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsailor View Post
Thanks P1, I appreciate you take the time for putting the whole pic together, been considering myself the upgrade but this is clear as 'LED bulbs'!
Since you have an X5M, how about an upgrade to the full LED headlights? Cannot be that expensive...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #34
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

^ true! A saw a set on ebay for a little over $6500 plus coding and probably some special connectors...bargain.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #35
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:

I think I had about $1000 in the LCI headlights. I sold my non LCI headlights for $750, so my cost for the headlights is $250. I did pay $260 for a new FRM3 though, because I didn't know whether the vin could be re-written in a used FRM. After getting a new FRM3, you can re-write the uif for the vin a total of 3 times, so feel free to pick up a used one on ebay.

I started collecting parts about a year ago, and would wait until I got a deal on ebay. As other people have posted before, you can find good deals, but it all depends on how impatient and knowledgeable you are.

Not one of the vendors has posted a picture directly comparing the OE LCI rings to the aftermarket stuff. Lets see how they compare. The challenge has been issued.
      03-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #36
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I think I had about $1000 in the LCI headlights. I sold my non LCI headlights for $750, so my cost for the headlights is $250. I did pay $260 for a new FRM3 though, because I didn't know whether the vin could be re-written in a used FRM. After getting a new FRM3, you can re-write the uif for the vin a total of 3 times, so feel free to pick up a used one on ebay.

I started collecting parts about a year ago, and would wait until I got a deal on ebay. As other people have posted before, you can find good deals, but it all depends on how impatient and knowledgeable you are.

Not one of the vendors has posted a picture directly comparing the OE LCI rings to the aftermarket stuff. Lets see how they compare. The challenge has been issued.
I'd have to say that although not cheap, $1000 for an upgrade is not out of this world. Most would spend that on exhaust, splitters, etc.

Did you do all the work yourself?

And the reason why vendors won't post an OEM LED vs. their aftermarket bulbs is because it would be embarrassing. There is no point because not a SINGLE bulb out there can make the non-OEM coronas look anything like the OEM coronas. On a different forum I even saw some guy put true H8 HID lights in there. The inner halo was BLINDINGLY bright, and the outer one, well, you know the story there. Of course it messed up the coronas, but it just goes to show there is little point. It's a slight improvement, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #37
doctexas
Enlisted - in need of promotion
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i

Garage List
I purchased mine through here and they look fine. I have had them on my vehicle for 9 months now without any problems. Not quite as bright as OEM, definitely aftermarket look, but not yellow either. I will post pics soon.

Merchant information:
Burger Motorsports
orders@burgertuning.com
http://www.burgertuning.com

(White Light) 4 LED Angel Eyes Upgrade
Vehicle: X5 SAV: 2007-2011 E70 and X5M (Option 1, H8 4 LED Angel Eyes) $129.00 USD 1 $129.00 USD
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #38
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
I'd have to say that although not cheap, $1000 for an upgrade is not out of this world. Most would spend that on exhaust, splitters, etc.

Did you do all the work yourself?

And the reason why vendors won't post an OEM LED vs. their aftermarket bulbs is because it would be embarrassing. There is no point because not a SINGLE bulb out there can make the non-OEM coronas look anything like the OEM coronas. On a different forum I even saw some guy put true H8 HID lights in there. The inner halo was BLINDINGLY bright, and the outer one, well, you know the story there. Of course it messed up the coronas, but it just goes to show there is little point. It's a slight improvement, but that's about it.
Yes, did the work myself including the coding. I will be hanging onto my E70 a bit longer than planned, so I didn't mind spending the money. I was hoping to get a cayenne diesel, test drove it, loved the drive, but its too small . So I will eventually get into an F15 X5, maybe the 2015 or 2016 MY. I've learned to not buy a first MY until the bugs get fixed.

Last edited by blue dragon; 03-06-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #39
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 X5 4.8i

I also had a dilemma regarding Led's. Apparently LUX is the best (based on the forums), however I pulled the trigger and ordered the EAS H8 LEDs a few weeks ago when they had $20 off. My review: I am happy with them. They look great! For $129, you can't beat it. I am curious to see your outcome on the cheap eBay ones though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #40
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Quote:
Since you have an X5M, how about an upgrade to the full LED headlights? Cannot be that expensive...
nice try!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #41
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
Rep

Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-Sima View Post
I also had a dilemma regarding Led's. Apparently LUX is the best (based on the forums), however I pulled the trigger and ordered the EAS H8 LEDs a few weeks ago when they had $20 off. My review: I am happy with them. They look great! For $129, you can't beat it. I am curious to see your outcome on the cheap eBay ones though.
Here are the latest pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #42
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
Rep

Here is another one...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #43
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
Rep

Another angle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #44
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

My eBay bulbs came in today.
Shipping took almost a month from China to the US.

I'll install them on the weekend and will take some pics.
Appreciate 0