XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #155
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Ok, ive got 2010 E70 (FF03 -US market) X5 35D (M57d30t2) WITH sport package and I got DCT ("-"left and "+" right) steering wheel installed, all buttons and heating of steering are working properly, ive got slip ring connector wires #2 and #4 directly wired to transmission X8532 (that goes into the transmission mechatronic aka A7000a) #5 and #4 respectively.

Does anyone have a clear answer of what should I add to VO???
What coding do i need in order for this to work?
All i know that i will probably need to change value (wert_01) for paddle shift to some other value!

One of my buddies have 03/13 X5 with actual M-Sport package he has option $7XA BUT i read his "Kombi.E70.C03", his "GWS.E70.C08" and his *EGS("GKE11KC08") (all modules and parameters with NCSExpert) and there is NO options for paddles!

Im wondering if option $2XA will give me the ability to change wert_02 to...

UPDATE on my own questions:

I got heated steering wheel (pre LCI) before upgrade so i DO NOT have to change slipring(SZL), then I got myself DCT (*LCI) steering wheel ("-"left and "+" right); got it installed, all buttons and heating of steering are working properly, ive got slip ring connector(X1880) wires #2 and #4 directly wired to transmission X8532 (that goes into the transmission mechatronic aka A7000a) #5 and #4 respectively. Original problem was paddles NOT shifting, but they were from LCI so i got myself paddles from PRE LCI (SSG paddles) and they are working out of the box!))) I DID NOT CODE anything or change any values in NCS. If you want DCT paddles to work you need to open them up, de solder all resistors and make them act as a simple switches!
#1 Question is resolved!

Please follow my OWN threads here:
bmw coding forum, E70 section (Need registration and you google this thread name) - E70 Paddles and SAT retrofit questions
Bimmerfest coding and programming section - E70 Shift Paddles on steering wheel and SAT retrofit programming and coding
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #156
klwill1192
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yes they'll work on yours provided you have the Sport or M Sport package, otherwise it won't work.
I can confirm that the paddle shift retrofit DOES work on a 2012 LCI E70 without the Sport or M Sport package.

I just completed retrofitting a heated Sport steering wheel with paddles into my 2012 LCI X5. My car had neither a heated steering wheel nor the Sports package factory installed.

I did it in two steps primarily because I started the heated retrofit before I was aware the paddle shifter retrofit was a possibility. I used Mundo74's tutorial as a basis for the heated steering wheel, though I wired it to conform to the factory wiring diagrams. The details are in my post at the bottom of that thread. https://xoutpost.com/1152956-post28.html

While doing the retrofit, I confirmed that I had 5VDC between pins 4 and 6 of the x01003 connector in the steering wheel--the "PAD+" and "PAD-" pins from the wiring diagrams.

I found a Sports steering wheel with heater and paddle shifters from a 2013 X6 for $225+shipping on eBay. I'm about 98% sure it's BMW part number 32306797911. I also bought a knock-off airbag cover from eBay ($38). I swapped the airbag cover onto the spare post-recall airbag that came with my first heated steering wheel, then put the new Sports steering wheel in the car.

I added the 2XA option to the VO, though I don't think this was necessary--there were no other modules that I coded for this.

When everything was put back together I went for a test drive. The paddle shifters worked exactly as I had hoped. I will replace the knock-off airbag cover with an OE cover just to be on the safe side--just waiting for it to arrive from Europe.

I probably won't use the paddle shifters very often, but I love the look of the Sports steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #157
MDeeJs
Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i, 335d, 2x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwill1192 View Post
I will replace the knock-off airbag cover with an OE cover just to be on the safe side--just waiting for it to arrive from Europe.
How bad is the knockoff cover ? I paid $85 for the steering wheel and I don't see myself paying $80 for the cover itself
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #158
klwill1192
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeeJs View Post
How bad is the knockoff cover ? I paid $85 for the steering wheel and I don't see myself paying $80 for the cover itself
It's actually not bad at all. The plastic seems slightly stiffer and the finish is slightly duller than my OE non-Sport cover. A quick wipe with Armor-All made it look a lot better.

The inside of the cover looks very similar, with the same thin fault lines as the OE (where the cover will split if the airbag deploys). The emblem is made out of very thin metal with 5 fold-over tabs to hold it in place. It does not appear to pose a threat en the event of a deployment. The logo is just about perfect, so no issues there.

I should have the OE Sport cover next week. I'll post pictures so you can see and compare for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #159
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwill1192 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yes they'll work on yours provided you have the Sport or M Sport package, otherwise it won't work.
I can confirm that the paddle shift retrofit DOES work on a 2012 LCI E70 without the Sport or M Sport package.

I just completed retrofitting a heated Sport steering wheel with paddles into my 2012 LCI X5. My car had neither a heated steering wheel nor the Sports package factory installed.

I did it in two steps primarily because I started the heated retrofit before I was aware the paddle shifter retrofit was a possibility. I used Mundo74's tutorial as a basis for the heated steering wheel, though I wired it to conform to the factory wiring diagrams. The details are in my post at the bottom of that thread. https://xoutpost.com/1152956-post28.html

While doing the retrofit, I confirmed that I had 5VDC between pins 4 and 6 of the x01003 connector in the steering wheel--the "PAD+" and "PAD-" pins from the wiring diagrams.

I found a Sports steering wheel with heater and paddle shifters from a 2013 X6 for $225+shipping on eBay. I'm about 98% sure it's BMW part number 32306797911. I also bought a knock-off airbag cover from eBay ($38). I swapped the airbag cover onto the spare post-recall airbag that came with my first heated steering wheel, then put the new Sports steering wheel in the car.

I added the 2XA option to the VO, though I don't think this was necessary--there were no other modules that I coded for this.

When everything was put back together I went for a test drive. The paddle shifters worked exactly as I had hoped. I will replace the knock-off airbag cover with an OE cover just to be on the safe side--just waiting for it to arrive from Europe.

I probably won't use the paddle shifters very often, but I love the look of the Sports steering wheel.
I have a 2013 LCI x5 xdrive35i WITH heated wheel but without MSport. I'm not sure if the wiring is the same as others who have posted but I'm curious as to what coding, wiring or other modifications are needed.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:00 PM   #160
Nexo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 x5 2011

Garage List
2011 X5 e70  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
Hi There,

I just installed the M steering wheel on my late 2011 LCI X5 35i and guess what, the paddle shifters work .
I searched foe it before installing to see if it would work without any modifications but couldn't find anything. So I wanted to write this post and confirm that the shifters work like a charm and steering wheel feels great. I have a sports activity and I think it comes pre-wired to work with paddle shifters. I will post some pictures soon.
good stuff I picked up paddle shifter wheel from a x5m. what year x5 did your wheel come off of?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #161
klwill1192
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeeJs View Post
Looking at them side-by-side, I really cannot tell the difference between the OE and the knockoff unless I turn them over.

Anyone interested in a knock-off Sport airbag cover at a very good price?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #162
klwill1192
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
I have a 2013 LCI x5 xdrive35i WITH heated wheel but without MSport. I'm not sure if the wiring is the same as others who have posted but I'm curious as to what coding, wiring or other modifications are needed.
You may not need any coding, wiring, or modifications to retrofit paddle shifters. If you have 5V across pins 4 and 6 of the X01003 connector on the steering column, your X5 is wired for paddle shifters.

Name:  Pic 6b.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  117.9 KB

My understanding is that there are two different flavors of paddle shifters, and you will need to get a wheel with the correct shifters. My wheel came from a 2013 X6. I believe it is BMW part number 32306797911.

Name:  Pic 7.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  219.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #163
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

That looks awesome. I totally want that on my 2012 X5 35i.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #164
.:DudoE90:.
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

E70 LCI paddle shifters coding

Hello,
im struggling with paddle shift retrofit and I'm stuck with coding.
I have 2010 E70 LCI 3.0d with 8-speed gearbox and I purchased X5M steering wheel without paddles (but with multifunction buttons) and separately E70 LCI paddles. I successfully combined them and installed in car, I didn't do any changes to wiring on paddles or desoldering resistor as I found that on LCI 8 speed gearbox paddles must be with resistors.
After that I did wiring according to wiring diagram - from connector X1880 pin 2 to X6031 pin 9 and pin 4 from X1880 to ground and I got 5V between pins 4 and 6 behind airbag.
So, I would say wiring is done right.

Then I started coding to enable paddles. With NCS expert I added in VO $7XA to CAS and made coding with empty file to KOMBI, CAS and EGS.
When I made reading in EGS I found out that there is no PADDLE on the list which I have to change to wert_02. I suspected that maybe my production date is problem since it is from early beginning when LCI started. It was #0410 so I tried to change it and I could make #1011. When tried newer dates program throws error. (before adding $7XA and also made reading of EGS and there was no PADDLE option also)

In my EGS file are following options:

NIC - aktiv
MIL_SCAN_TOOL - wert_04
SPORT - nicht_aktiv
ALLRAD - aktiv
NIC_NEU - aktiv
SPORT_NEU - nicht_aktiv
VMAX - wert_01
MAB - wert_00
STOP_GO - nicht_aktiv

And that's it, there is no PADDLE option.
Can somebody please give me advice what to do next? Is maybe update of EGS needed or I did some wrong step before?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #165
Nkponder
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

E90 Dudo

I thought the diesels did not come pre-wired? Looks like you checked the voltage, but double check everything with the post Evan made about wiring a 35d. He has some really incredible posts for the E70s!

Good luck!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25340518
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #166
.:DudoE90:.
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkponder View Post
E90 Dudo

I thought the diesels did not come pre-wired? Looks like you checked the voltage, but double check everything with the post Evan made about wiring a 35d. He has some really incredible posts for the E70s!

Good luck!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25340518
Nkponder thank you very much for your reply.
That is one of first posts I checked but unfortunately his case is different.
His car is LCI but engine is M57 with 6 speed gearbox like in pre-LCI models.
I have N57 with 8 speed gearbox and needed wiring is different than his. Also, he did modification of paddles with removing resistor and I must use with resistors.
I checked my wiring and wire on connector X6031 (pin 9) was present from factory and if I understood correctly that one is in charge for transfering shifting signal to gearbox with different resistance, upshift or downshift. Other wire was not on X6031 (pin 3) from factory but anyway, I took shortcut and connected pin 4 from X1880 to the ground, should be same. So, measured 5V I think confirms that wiring is good.... I think only problem is now that my EGS don't show coding option for paddles so that should be reason why he don't "see" installed paddles. I searched all over the internet and didn't found similar case for any module. Only logical to me is that my car is produced when paddles didn't exist as option so EGS version don't have software for it. I believe maybe update can solve that issue but Im afraid to do it because there is possibility to brick the car XD
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #167
randall67
Rep
Drives: E70 LCI 4.0D MSPORT

N57 8 speed transmission

I wanted to post this reply as it is the only thread I could find in regard to an N57 engine and 8 speed ZF transmission, if you wish to do a paddle shift conversion. I realize it has been some time since you posted but maybe someone will be looking for the same information. You probably have sorted it out by now anyway, if not I can answer your questions.
You have done everything right the only problem is the vehicle integration level when it left the factory. It seems VIN last 7 numbers beginning with L4 do not have the same integration level as beginning with L7. Why BMW would leave out 2 wires going to the steering wheel is just insane. Will get to that in a minute. Sorry to be so long winded but there is a lot to understand. I cannot stop you from being a crazy bastard for wanting to do this conversion but I can save you a world of pain.
Do not buy anything until you have done the following:
1st thing to do is check if you have the two wires. Easiest way is to remove the plastic covers behind the steering wheel. Check pins 2 and 4 on x1880. 2 should be green/red 4 should be violet it is the ground. If you have the wires check with accessory position you have 5 volt between the pins. If you do not have the wires it does not matter. We now know if you are wired for paddle shifters or not. Put the steering covers back on and continue with your life.
2nd thing is to obtain ISTA/P and ICOM I use VCX SE it is fabulous tool. Up to you. Just need ICOM. It is your choice but you need more than a battery charger you need a maintainer, ISTAP will not work if the battery goes below 13 volt and it will be at least 2 hours of programming. If you do this its 100% guaranteed your paddle shifters will work and no stress. If you do not know how to use ISTAP then it is about time you learnt. Start a new session and let it do its thing until you come to measures plan. Select module tree. Select each module and hide measures plan until only the EGS is left. Select determine measures plan and it will reply a report. In that report you will see it wants to program and code at least 6 modules just to update the EGS. Let it do its thing and be patient, that is why I recommend a battery maintainer. You do not have to worry and can walk away. It will take at least 2 hours. It dings and operates seats, lights,fans all sorts of stuff. After it has done it resets the car and it is perfect. That is all you need to do, you do not need any change in VO, your car is now ready for paddle shifters.
There are many tutorials about using ISTAP. It is not hard to use and I would not use anything else as it is plug and play to your whole car and not just a single module.
Of course some retrofits ISTAP will not like so it cannot be used. In this case you will need to reinstate the car to original and return it after you update the modules.
You might say, why not use WINKFP or Tool32 ? to flash the module, well here is the world of hurt. This may depend on your Datums. Mine are 71. Yours may be lower not sure, just do not take the risk because here is what will happen. EGS(gke195, gke201, gke233 something like that) WINKFP will load the most recent file so it matters not what you choose. Exactly as it is supposed to do and by its logic will wipe the module and then load the file. Unfortunately it will not be able to digitally sign the file because of firmware manufacturers data. You will now have no transmission, the module will be empty and your world of hurt will begin, then you get further into a world of hurt as you get deeper and deeper. WINKFP is great but do not use it in this instance. By the way I use ISTAP ver 69.0.200.
I will leave it at that for now and return latter with the actual directions for install of wires etc. I need a break now.
peace
out
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #168
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

They allow you to now put a F10 wheel on an E70, that's the route that I am going, requires a module to do it, but 100% works with all features, including M mode too.

See attached instructions on how its all done, and the company you buy the module from Ukraine, module is 150, plus 20 shipping, i can put you in touch with them if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:06 AM   #169
skovri
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Hello,
I decided to add paddles and steering wheel heating to the E70 LCI, 40xd, N57S 2010. I got the steering wheel, steering column ring, connectors and cables. Connecting the heating and encoding was not a problem. The problem arose when I wanted to connect the paddles. I looked at the tutorial on the net https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1660167
I followed his procedure, except that I did not remove the resistances from the paddles. I told myself that I would only do it when it was necessary. The problem came when I disconnected the x8532 gearbox connector and found that it was completely different than it was in the manual. Pins 4 and 5 have already been occupied. I froze there and was done. After a long search on the net, I decided to use the wiring according to DudoE90, I thank him for his contribution, that is, the connector X1880 pin 2 to X6031 pin 9 and pin 4 from X1880 to X6031 to pin 4. Since I kept a fairly large reserve of cable at the steering column , reached me up to the box to the X6031 connector. I said to myself, it's connected, I'll see what happens next. Of course, on the X6031 connector, pins 9 and 4 were on the male side with cables. Pin 9 is probably connected to the gearbox or some RJ, and pin 4 is the ground. So it is possible to connect from connector X1880 pin 4 to the frame of the steering column (tested). What surprised me, after starting and engaging the MS, the paddles work. Coding was not necessary probably because I have a very large gear (at least I think it can be gear). Maybe this will help someone, maybe not.
Appreciate 0