XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #45
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Must do mod you yall havent yet!
      04-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #46
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman11 View Post
I plan on installing GP Thunder 8500K H8 bulbs for the Angel Eyes and then get my truck coded so the AEs run on full power. This is a cheaper investment before I shell out >$245 for the Lux V3.

Stay tuned for pics.
I used these for my winter setup which aren't bad at all, very happy with GP... Its been a very fustrating road with these H8 LEDS. I've had

BurgerTuning opt1- H8's. Heat killed these LEDs(great customer service)

DTEC e92 Lighting v9's VeryBright - Heat killed these again (WORST customer service) no replacement from them

GP Bulbs for winter AE's

Now IJDM 40watt LED's - so so, not bright. I think the GP's might be better...

PLanning on giving it one last shot with LUX or MTEC. And when I say heat killed them - not all LED will light up, only - 1 or 2. So I'm thinking the heat kills the copper welds.. I'm seeing new style LED headlights replacements come with build in PC fans to keep cool. LED produce tons of heat.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #47
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
I used these for my winter setup which aren't bad at all, very happy with GP... Its been a very fustrating road with these H8 LEDS. I've had

BurgerTuning opt1- H8's. Heat killed these LEDs(great customer service)

DTEC e92 Lighting v9's VeryBright - Heat killed these again (WORST customer service) no replacement from them

GP Bulbs for winter AE's

Now IJDM 40watt LED's - so so, not bright. I think the GP's might be better...

PLanning on giving it one last shot with LUX or MTEC. And when I say heat killed them - not all LED will light up, only - 1 or 2. So I'm thinking the heat kills the copper welds.. I'm seeing new style LED headlights replacements come with build in PC fans to keep cool. LED produce tons of heat.
Our LUX H8 160 angel eyes are the brightest lights on the market, no questions asked. Here is a video of an M3 with the new lights. I know the X5 headlights are a bit different but they will look nearly identical. All of our lights come with a 1-year warranty and our customer service is second to none also.

Our lights dont use a fan and we stopped using a fan on them a long time ago. We found that the fans start to give up and make noise much faster than anything else and they could be a cause of more problems then they are worth. the LED's we use are rated for a high temperature rating and they never get past that.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #48
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Our LUX H8 160 angel eyes are the brightest lights on the market, no questions asked. Here is a video of an M3 with the new lights. I know the X5 headlights are a bit different but they will look nearly identical. All of our lights come with a 1-year warranty and our customer service is second to none also.

Our lights dont use a fan and we stopped using a fan on them a long time ago. We found that the fans start to give up and make noise much faster than anything else and they could be a cause of more problems then they are worth. the LED's we use are rated for a high temperature rating and they never get past that.

Please post a video of an E70 X5. Thank you. I guarantee it will not look like that. You can make them as bright as you want, but it's the design of the headlights that are the limiting factor. I've seen people put HID lights in there, the inside is BLINDINGLY bright, and the outside looks like they're not even on.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #49
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

I'm waiting to see proof of the claim that the X5 will look nearly identical
      04-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #50
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Please post a video of an E70 X5. Thank you. I guarantee it will not look like that. You can make them as bright as you want, but it's the design of the headlights that are the limiting factor. I've seen people put HID lights in there, the inside is BLINDINGLY bright, and the outside looks like they're not even on.
We just recently released these and have not had the chance yet to get pictures or a video of an X5. I will work on this and see if there are any vehicles local to us that can help out.

HID lights don't focus the light at all and that's why they are so blinding on the inside, and dim on the outside. The design of the LED's we use focuses as much light as possible into the outer rings and allows they to be bright and almost as bright as the inner ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #51
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Thats not the reason at all. Here is the pre lci design, a single bulb to drive both rings with a much longer light path for the outter ring.

With the LCI design there is an LED driver for both the inner and outer ring. You cannot achieve this with your single lux bulb no matter what your marketing pitch is. People keep believing they will achieve the look of the LCI by sticking LED bulbs in the E70, and it just won't happen

LED drivers for the LCI headlight, there is one of these for each ring
      04-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #52
JGard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW iX xDrive50

Here's a cheapish option: http://www.amazon.com/2%C3%9720W-Ang.../dp/B00ENCQ7YO

I'm tempted. I know it won't be as bright as the newer cars and I don't care. It's mostly the color I would be looking to change than anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #53
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
We just recently released these and have not had the chance yet to get pictures or a video of an X5. I will work on this and see if there are any vehicles local to us that can help out.

HID lights don't focus the light at all and that's why they are so blinding on the inside, and dim on the outside. The design of the LED's we use focuses as much light as possible into the outer rings and allows they to be bright and almost as bright as the inner ones.
seems like you guys are trying to solve the problem with redirection when the root problem is the fact that there's just not enough projection of the light through the pre-LCI light tubes. I've tried the ibrights before on my M3 and they are nowhere close to OEM LEDs. When I got my LCI X5, you can't even compare the two, the ibrights were embarrassingly low light temperature because the LUX and similar bulb replacement is simply using 1 concentrated bulb and attempting to project it through a system of light tubes. Unless technology is changing and you can shove a light 10000x brighter into a bulb without taking up too much energy, you just won't get the same effect as a LED ring of lights that line up the halos.

What would help all of us would be if you can line up an OEM LED X5 or E9X car with a LUX outfitted pre-LCI car and let us do a side-by-side comparison. And then, I'll be tempted to try the LUX on my M3. My thought has always been that all HID replacement bulbs are the same, they will never be close to OEM LEDs...

and I know, the camera lies, the lens filter a lot of the surrounding light and makes the halos pop out more in pictures.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 04-07-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #54
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
seems like you guys are trying to solve the problem with redirection when the root problem is the fact that there's just not enough projection of the light through the pre-LCI light tubes. I've tried the ibrights before on my M3 and they are nowhere close to OEM LEDs. When I got my LCI X5, you can't even compare the two, the ibrights were embarrassingly low light temperature because the LUX and similar bulb replacement is simply using 1 concentrated bulb and attempting to project it through a system of light tubes. Unless technology is changing and you can shove a light 10000x brighter into a bulb without taking up too much energy, you just won't get the same effect as a LED ring of lights that line up the halos.

What would help all of us would be if you can line up an OEM LED X5 or E9X car with a LUX outfitted pre-LCI car and let us do a side-by-side comparison. And then, I'll be tempted to try the LUX on my M3. My thought has always been that all HID replacement bulbs are the same, they will never be close to OEM LEDs...

and I know, the camera lies, the lens filter a lot of the surrounding light and makes the halos pop out more in pictures.

I am actually working to get those pictures of a side by side comparison. We have a 2012 X3 available that we can take a picture with next to the M3 and we will get those once the weather clears up a bit.

As for the other points you made yes the headlights are the limiting factor on how much light goes to the outer rings. The tubes that go to those rings are quite small, but by designing a bulb that focuses the vast majority of the light into those tubes it helps to compensate for this. Technology has changed quite a bit in the last few years with LED's so these are significantly different then the older ones.

the LUX H8 V3 we offered were rated around 750-800 lumen, but they also dimmed slight. the ibright lights you tried were probably around around 600 lumen if i had to make a guess. the new LUX H8 160's are 1600 lumen per side so its a massive difference and 3x brighter then what you tried back then.

Again i'll work on getting the pictures and i'll take them try and more accurately portray what the eye sees ( which is difficult). As well what i can do in the mean time is offer you a 100% money back return on them if you wanted to test them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #55
jplatt83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 x5 35d

Quote:
I am actually working to get those pictures of a side by side comparison. We have a 2012 X3 available that we can take a picture with next to the M3 and we will get those once the weather clears up a bit.

As for the other points you made yes the headlights are the limiting factor on how much light goes to the outer rings. The tubes that go to those rings are quite small, but by designing a bulb that focuses the vast majority of the light into those tubes it helps to compensate for this. Technology has changed quite a bit in the last few years with LED's so these are significantly different then the older ones.

the LUX H8 V3 we offered were rated around 750-800 lumen, but they also dimmed slight. the ibright lights you tried were probably around around 600 lumen if i had to make a guess. the new LUX H8 160's are 1600 lumen per side so its a massive difference and 3x brighter then what you tried back then.

Again i'll work on getting the pictures and i'll take them try and more accurately portray what the eye sees ( which is difficult). As well what i can do in the mean time is offer you a 100% money back return on them if you wanted to test them yourself.
I have a 2011 x5 35d and just bought your product last night, the LUX 160's. I was very hesitant to buy since there are no pictures or videos floating around yet of an x5 with the bulbs installed.

What sold me was the 1 year warranty, good customer service, and advancements in new technology. Your bulbs seem to be the brightest on the market right now and that is what I was looking for. The closest thing to a 2012+ OEM LCI.

The YouTube video of the 160's looked stellar. I hope the x5 can mimic that pure white look with the outer ring being so well lit up.

Very anxious to receive them. I already got my tracking info within minutes of purchase last night.

I will post pictures once they are installed. I'm taking out GP Thunder 8500K. I only had them in for a few weeks. The sunlight washed them out completely and once I turned on my headlights they turned yellow. For $15 you get what you pay for...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #56
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

I'm pissed that I ordered the LUX H8 V5's a few weeks ago and there was no mention of these 160's anywhere. The V5's are alot brighter than my old V4's but as soon as your not looking at them dead on and look from the side the outer ring is invisible
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #57
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplatt83 View Post
I have a 2011 x5 35d and just bought your product last night, the LUX 160's. I was very hesitant to buy since there are no pictures or videos floating around yet of an x5 with the bulbs installed.

What sold me was the 1 year warranty, good customer service, and advancements in new technology. Your bulbs seem to be the brightest on the market right now and that is what I was looking for. The closest thing to a 2012+ OEM LCI.

The YouTube video of the 160's looked stellar. I hope the x5 can mimic that pure white look with the outer ring being so well lit up.

Very anxious to receive them. I already got my tracking info within minutes of purchase last night.

I will post pictures once they are installed. I'm taking out GP Thunder 8500K. I only had them in for a few weeks. The sunlight washed them out completely and once I turned on my headlights they turned yellow. For $15 you get what you pay for...
Looking forward to your impressions. If you can take a picture comparing them to the GP Thunder bulbs as well. Just remember to take the picture from 20+ feet away to get an accurate view of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
I'm pissed that I ordered the LUX H8 V5's a few weeks ago and there was no mention of these 160's anywhere. The V5's are alot brighter than my old V4's but as soon as your not looking at them dead on and look from the side the outer ring is invisible
If you want to switch to the LUX H8 160's you can do that and we have a 60 day return policy on the lights. Just sent me a e-mail sales@LuxAngelEyes.com and i can get you the information needed if you want.

As for the outer ring, thats just the design of the headlight itself an that cant be changed. When you look at the outer ring up close you will see that there are grooves in the back, and when you look at it from an angle the grooves disappear. These grooves are what reflect the light outwards, so if you cant see the grooves you can see the light. Here's a picture of a stock style headlight so you can see what i'm referring to.

Also - we just removed the 2 pictures from earlier since they really do not do a accurate job of how they look in person

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 04-08-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
How many of us have warned you against exactly this? No point in wasting money on $200 LEDs on the X5 mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #59
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How many of us have warned you against exactly this? No point in wasting money on $200 LEDs on the X5 mate.
Did you happen to see what i just posted above? you cant overcome the design flaws of the headlight, but you can make it look a hell of a lot better

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 04-08-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #60
jplatt83
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to your impressions. If you can take a picture comparing them to the GP Thunder bulbs as well. Just remember to take the picture from 20+ feet away to get an accurate view of them
I will do that.

As far as the pic you posted and took down of the white x5, what LUX bulb was that? I was hoping it wasn't the new 160 as I wasn't that impressed with the pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #61
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplatt83 View Post
I will do that.

As far as the pic you posted and took down of the white x5, what LUX bulb was that? I was hoping it wasn't the new 160 as I wasn't that impressed with the pics.
Those were the LUX H8 160 lights, but i removed them because they really did not look anything like they do in person. Taking pictures of the lights can be very tricky and 99% of the time makes them look either way too bright or way too dim. Camera's are not good at taking pictures of light and the camera compensates for the amount of ambient light and adjusts from there.

The most accurate pictures are normally taken on a bright overcast day or dim sunlight. Most other conditions make don't reflect what they actually look like.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #62
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did you happen to see what i just posted above? you cant overcome the design flaws of the headlight, but you can make it look a hell of a lot better
Absolutely. I replaced mine with PIAA halogen bulbs and they're a hell of a lot cheaper and looks pretty much the same as the pics you posted of the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #63
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely. I replaced mine with PIAA halogen bulbs and they're a hell of a lot cheaper and looks pretty much the same as the pics you posted of the X5M.
AH ok. That's why i removed those pictures from earlier because that is really not even close to what they look like in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #64
jplatt83
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Those were the LUX H8 160 lights, but i removed them because they really did not look anything like they do in person. Taking pictures of the lights can be very tricky and 99% of the time makes them look either way too bright or way too dim. Camera's are not good at taking pictures of light and the camera compensates for the amount of ambient light and adjusts from there.

The most accurate pictures are normally taken on a bright overcast day or dim sunlight. Most other conditions make don't reflect what they actually look like.
Okay that's reassuring because from those pics they looked little to no different than my el cheapo GP Thunders lol.

I'll take a wide variety of pics and provide a very unbiased review. I'm sure people will be eager to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #65
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

@LuxAngelEyes. What is the wattage on these new 160's.
I've had the e92 v9-85watt and at night these things were pretty bright. Just over a few months some of the LED's stopped working due to heat I'm thinking. hope this doesn't happen with LuX, I'm ready to buy em.

Guys turn off your daytime running and just use your LEDs AE's at sundown. They are useless during the day and will just have us going crazy thinking about the money we spent and not as bright as LCI versions.. It shows from these 3pages of LED talk
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #66
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynjoker View Post
@LuxAngelEyes. What is the wattage on these new 160's.
I've had the e92 v9-85watt and at night these things were pretty bright. Just over a few months some of the LED's stopped working due to heat I'm thinking. hope this doesn't happen with LuX, I'm ready to buy em.

Guys turn off your daytime running and just use your LEDs AE's at sundown. They are useless during the day and will just have us going crazy thinking about the money we spent and not as bright as LCI versions.. It shows from these 3pages of LED talk
The output of them is 1600 lumen per side, which is the halogen equivalent of 160watts. the obviously use much less power than that though since they are LED. the stock bulbs are rated for around 700 lumen, but since the car dims them its much lower than that even. Out lights don't dim so they are always 1600 lumen.

We also have a 1-year warranty just in case something happens.
Appreciate 0