XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #45
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
Well they are All Seasons so the handling will not be the same as the Summer Tires. Regular driving, the difference is not huge but i'm sure you will feel the difference if driven on track or very agressively. I have not experienced any vibration issues or noise.
I did switch between summer runflats RFT to conti's all season non-RFT on a 335i a few years back, and it was a night and day difference. The conti's feel was terrible in that car, you could feel a difference every day, no need to go on a track. I went back to the runflats summer after a couple of thousand miles and never looked back. Granted it's not the same car, but the difference in tire feel was very noticeable, so with the higher power X5 I'm pretty sure it will be noticeable as well. I was also reading similar good reviews on the 3er forums about the conti's back then, but after this bad experience I'm now very skeptical of these types of reviews, and will stick with summer tires (RFTs if the car came with it) unless weather absolutely requires something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #46
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I did switch between summer runflats RFT to conti's all season non-RFT on a 335i a few years back, and it was a night and day difference. The conti's feel was terrible in that car, you could feel a difference every day, no need to go on a track. I went back to the runflats summer after a couple of thousand miles and never looked back. Granted it's not the same car, but the difference in tire feel was very noticeable, so with the higher power X5 I'm pretty sure it will be noticeable as well. I was also reading similar good reviews on the 3er forums about the conti's back then, but after this bad experience I'm now very skeptical of these types of reviews, and will stick with summer tires (RFTs if the car came with it) unless weather absolutely requires something else.
I actually use to track cars as well and one thing we all know is that individual tires are different based on platform. A 185/45-16 DWS is not the same as a 275/40-20 DWS that is used on these trucks. Read the TireRack reviews and you will see that for these SUV's, the DWS is one of the best out there.

The run flats that came on my X5 diesel were unnecessarily harsh and a bit noisy. The DWS's ride SIGNIFICANTLY smoother and a bit quieter. At speeds of 55MPH down an exit ramp there is some difference but since these are the exact same size & profile, it is minimal and well beyond the control and handling 95% of the population would require. I could probably have went 65MPH around that same exit ramp with the Run Flats but the reality is that few drivers are going to try and go 65MPH down a 35MPH markered exit ramp. Rather, most will probably drive it at 45MPH and still have a significant buffer.

If you are driving a X5M, I would say "stick with the RFT option" but for any other driver, the Conti DWS's are an exceptional tire regardless of summer or winter weather conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #47
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I did the same switch on my 335d Sport and had the opposite conclusion, the All-Season Conti DWS handling was much better than the RFTs. After 30kmi I still happy with the DWS on my 335d.

I plan to swap the stock Bridgestone RFTs on my X5M with the Conti DWS. As per Tirerack, the DWS is actually in a higher performance category than the Bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #48
shayne54
Rep
Drives: 2008 M5 & 2005 X5 4.8is

I put the DWS's on my 335i and loved them. I drove the car one winter and before I replaced the stock run-flats with the DWS I couldn't even make it up my driveway if there was 1/2" of snow on it. Once I switched I never looked back.

I swear those tires had so much traction. I was running a JB4 tune on the 335i and I never had issues even in the rain. It was almost like there was no rain. I will probably replace my X5 tires with these in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

My DWS on 20" staggered now has 3k miles on them and still running strong. I drove on 3" of snow/ice covered road today, my X5 rolls around like a tank even on steep hills.

These are the tires BMW should've put on all their cars out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #50
dcvibe
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d 2011

I'm getting these tomorrow! Thanks for the review and advice. I recently picked up some 22 inch wheels with pirelli all seasons but I want to have some all season "good for snow" on my 19 inch wheels for predictable snow storms.... These seem to fit the bill. I also like the fact that I don't have to be in a hurry to take these off if it gets warm outside. Kansas City has crazy weather....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #51
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Continental, where's my referral check?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My problem with DWS is the side wall is too soft and makes the turns too squishy. I actually prefer harsher and firmer ride for a sporty, performance oriented feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
My problem with DWS is the side wall is too soft and makes the turns too squishy. I actually prefer harsher and firmer ride for a sporty, performance oriented feel.
Do you have the 20" staggered wheels or the 19"? I have the DWS on my 535i with the 18", the sidewalls feel a bit softer compared to the RFTs. With DWS on the X5 SAV with 20", the sidewalls are thin enough where the difference in feel isn't significant.

RFT sidewalls are supposed to be thicker and firmer, since it's reinforced by kevlar and thicker material so you can drive w/o air. With thicker sidewalls, you're also getting more unprung weight. RFTs feel about twice as heavy, compared to DWS off the car. Plus, having the set of DWS on is like wearing a set of Bose QC15 on the plane. It's ridiculously quiet compared to the stock RFTs. You will feel the lighter unprung weight and hear the difference when it's mounted, a fair trade-up IMO.

Overall, DWS is a very "good" replacement for the money compared to other non-RFTs in its class. It's the best "jack of all trades" tires, but it's not going to be "great" in any particular categories (maybe noise, it's great there). I wouldn't mount these on track days.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #54
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_stan
I see a few posts for touting the Toyo Proxies. I may not need the all season features here in Houston. Any comments by those running tires other than the Dunlops on the 20" staggered rims??
I have the bridgestones on mine. Basically the same crappy tire. Completely toast after 15k. I'm replacing mine with the Nitto Invos. They're a new tire that's supposedly quieter while remaining very sporty and good in wet weather. Here in Syracuse that's a must. Once I've put some miles on them ill post a review.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I have the bridgestones on mine. Basically the same crappy tire. Completely toast after 15k. I'm replacing mine with the Nitto Invos. They're a new tire that's supposedly quieter while remaining very sporty and good in wet weather. Here in Syracuse that's a must. Once I've put some miles on them ill post a review.
The Nitto Invos cost the same as the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. DWS is superior on wet/snow and I can tell you it's quiet, almost too quiet. The service life of the DWS is 540A vs. Invo 260AA, so you're not going to get many miles out of the Nitto. All the reviews I've seen doesn't favor the Nitto either.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #56
Rez90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I have them on my Jeep. Great tire.
2015 S4....EPL Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #57
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
The Nitto Invos cost the same as the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. DWS is superior on wet/snow and I can tell you it's quiet, almost too quiet. The service life of the DWS is 540A vs. Invo 260AA, so you're not going to get many miles out of the Nitto. All the reviews I've seen doesn't favor the Nitto either.
I don't care about snow performance at all. I only want a high performance summer tire. I have a separate set of winter tires/ rims. Asking as they last longer than these crappy bridgestones I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #58
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
The reviews I have read on the Invo aren't bad. It's the NT05 that isn't being reviewed well.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #59
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I got the DWS non-RFTs on my X5 Sport for over 10k miles now. They still ride smooth as silk and the treads look brand new.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #60
markE90
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW X5 35d

Any problems with lease returns because its a non-run flat tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #61
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markE90 View Post
Any problems with lease returns because its a non-run flat tires?
I'm 90% sure they have to be RFTs on the lease return. I'm 100% sure they have to be a matching set.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #62
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

One of my DWS tires got punctured. I replaced all 4 with Bridgestone OEM RTFs since I already logged over 20k on my DWS (still looks new and I can't find a DWS set in town, needed the car). The Bridgestone are better than the Duns, but they're crap compared with DWS. The steering now feels heavy and the acceleration is reduced.

DWS owners, have a spare set of tires on hand. You don't want to be caught with not being able to locate the DWS tires in town then having to go with what the dealer has in stock.

I'm going back to DWS after these sets go out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #63
Singh97
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jattizm

Garage List
2004 BMW e46 M3  [10.00]
I am buying a set soon. Dun's are smoked at 12k. Rear's still have some life but front ones are toast.
      02-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #64
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
I am buying a set soon. Dun's are smoked at 12k. Rear's still have some life but front ones are toast.
Yes, the front Duns will wear in on the insides around 12k (mine did). I think the agressive cambers of the X5 and stiff sidewall tires are not good combos. The stiff sidewalls don't have any give compared to non-RFTs, so it wears quicker unevenly (regular sidewalls let the tires rest naturally with aggressive camber setting).

I'm going back to my DWS if I'm not trading my X5 in for another BMW. The F15 body hasn't grown on me yet, maybe once I see the model with mSport might change my mind. A set of DWS will last 30k miles, easy. Mine had 25k with the D.W.S wear indicator still in tack. Plus, DWS is so much better on snow and icy roads.

PLEASE, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE: Once you switch to DWS, have a spare set of tires on hand. I carry a bottle of fix-a-flat for long trips. It's a good idea to have a spare set (or at least one front and one rear). When you have a blow out, it's really hard to locate a set of DWS in town.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #65
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

I like these tires and they work well in the snow. I don't have extra rims, but we do the swap between Dunlops in the summer and these for the winter. We only get 2 seasons from the summers so I don't mind beating up the tire bead. (25K miles a year)

Because of the camber, the rear inside edges wear much faster and the front outside edges wear fast too. I was contemplating reducing camber on the rear and increasing the fronts but am afraid that might make the car oversteer so haven't done that yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #66
AlexGP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW X5 3.0

Bought my X5 SAV in May 2012, dealer wouldn't hear a negotiation of switching the OEMs out, so I have run them for 20k, alternating with Pirelli Scorpions. Just bought the Contis and will install in 3 weeks or so, will swap out one last time next winter if the Scorpions still have tread. Looking forward to the Contis forever though after that. Thanks for the review. The OEMs are a scam, we all know that, but that's life... BTW, just saw some 2014 X5s on the road and I am so glad I have my 2012!!!
Appreciate 0