XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Megan Racing Axle Back Installed

Just got back from having the Megan Racing axle back muffler installed. It is a pretty simple installation, but I can't weld, so I had to have a shop do it. It took about half an hour - cut the old muffler off and install the new muffler.

I'm very impressed with the setup for the cost - $443.92 installed. Actually, I'm impressed with it regardless of cost! It did exactly what I wanted - gave the truck a throatier, M-mode exhaust note at all times, eliminated the M valves, down-sized the massive stock muffler, and updated the tiny stock exhaust tips.

In the quick drive back from the shop, I noticed a significantly throatier exhaust note when on the throttle, but mostly stock sound at highway speeds. NO DRONE, which was a big worry.

I would recommend this to anyone interested. For the savings over other systems being offered, it is a no-brainer. The most comparable offering is from Eisenmann for $4445 list for axle-back. I don't have first-hand experience, but I doubt the Eisenmann is 10 times better at 10 times the cost.

I will put together a video when I get some time. In the interim, here are some photos (forgive me, the truck is filthy):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Looks good bro. Is it alot louder? Is there drone? Looking forward to hearing it. Anyway looks nice, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Louder, yes, when you're on the throttle. Downshift and tip-in burble is more pronounced. No change in volume at cruising speed. No drone, even in when laying into it while in a high gear, with low revs.

Performance is unchanged. If there are any gains/losses, I can't tell.

It looks much better than stock. I'd like to have rolled edge tips, but those can always be swapped later.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

What exactly needs to be welded? It looks like it would bolt on. Looks like a great deal for that price!
      08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

I have to agree this looks much better. Looking forward to a sound clip. Might be adding this to the list.
      08-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

killer value, that is for sure.

the fact that there is no drone with this setup makes it worth every penny
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's a quick video I took this morning with a GoPro on the way to work. I'm going to try a few different mounting options this weekend to get better sound quality.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

yeah this should not need any welding done. isnt it just a axle back bolt on?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VQ35

From the looks of it seems like it includes clamps for a bolt on but I think welding it would be the safer way of doing this to prevent any leaks in the future.

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP, thank you for contributing this thread. I just ordered this also. Your vid and the explanation on the sound were very helpful.

Initially, I was aiming at the rolled burned tips, but the stainless looks very good. And your AW X5M looks very good. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

sounds good, looks good, and $400,what a deal!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The system does comes with a set of clamps, but the product descriptions do state that it is a weld on setup. Redline360 even delayed my shipment in order to confirm that I knew these were specifically weld on.

Either way, I would recommend you have them welded. You can guarantee that they will never come loose or leak. I've done one cat-back system in the past that used clamps (as opposed to flange-tip), and the damn thing completely fell off once and it was notorious for coming loose, causing the tips to move. I ended up welding it; thus, solving the problem.

It's cheap insurance that the system will stay on and stay aligned properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VQ35

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
The system does comes with a set of clamps, but the product descriptions do state that it is a weld on setup. Redline360 even delayed my shipment in order to confirm that I knew these were specifically weld on.

Either way, I would recommend you have them welded. You can guarantee that they will never come loose or leak. I've done one cat-back system in the past that used clamps (as opposed to flange-tip), and the damn thing completely fell off once and it was notorious for coming loose, causing the tips to move. I ended up welding it; thus, solving the problem.

Thanks for the feedback! I will keep that in mind when I purchase this axleback.

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds great... Get a cold start up vid
      08-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

It sounds good.
I saw this system mentioned a few weeks back and ordered it at the same time.
http://meganracingwholesale.com/mega.../i-545037.aspx

+50 shipping, but it has not shipped yet? I am leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks so we will hope it is here when I get back home.

I am glad it sounds like that. I was afraid it would be raspy and have a drone
I agree I think it is a great bang for the buck. Considering that the 6k muffleer really make very little HP increase, why bother? for under 500 bucks you can get the same sound improvement and possibly even the same power increase.

When I had my E46 M3, everyone was buying 3k mufflers. I refused to buy one, the ower gains were next to nothing. When Borla came out with a system and I mention it, everyone said it must be crap since it was so much cheaper. But the systme fit perfectly and gave me the same power increase as the 3k mufflers.

I am looking forward to it. I ordered the rolled tips
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #16
donho
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post

I would slip fit it, clamp it and put a few spot welds with a mig, just incase. if you ever wanted to swap the OE muffler back, just cut the spot welds and replace the muffler.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
It sounds good.
I saw this system mentioned a few weeks back and ordered it at the same time.
http://meganracingwholesale.com/mega.../i-545037.aspx

+50 shipping, but it has not shipped yet? I am leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks so we will hope it is here when I get back home.

I am glad it sounds like that. I was afraid it would be raspy and have a drone
I agree I think it is a great bang for the buck. Considering that the 6k muffleer really make very little HP increase, why bother? for under 500 bucks you can get the same sound improvement and possibly even the same power increase.

When I had my E46 M3, everyone was buying 3k mufflers. I refused to buy one, the ower gains were next to nothing. When Borla came out with a system and I mention it, everyone said it must be crap since it was so much cheaper. But the systme fit perfectly and gave me the same power increase as the 3k mufflers.

I am looking forward to it. I ordered the rolled tips
That exhaust looks awesome! Great choice.

Miller how much weight do you think you cut off with with new exhaust? Looks like you should lose quite a bit with this setup.

Last edited by Jimshorts; 08-27-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts View Post
That exhaust looks awesome! Great choice.

Miller how much weight do you think you cut off with with new exhaust? Looks like you should lose quite a bit with this setup.
Thanks! Just carrying both mufflers around, I know the Megan is lighter by a few pounds, but I never thought to weigh the Megan before install.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
donho
Private First Class
Rep

I just called today and they said they have been holding off shipping since they could not get a hold of me. Must of been those 866 numbers on my land line that I assumed was telemarketers.LOL
They needed to verify the security code on my CC. I gave it to them and explained I was going to be away and he is timing it to arrive when I get home.

Let me ask the OP. When you had the stock muffler, driving in M mode/Sport, does it sound louder now??
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
donho
Private First Class
Rep

Now if Megan racing could make some catless downpipes and price them like a foot long pipe with two flanges and o2 bungs. That would be great. Paying a couple grand for that is silly.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Now if Megan racing could make some catless downpipes and price them like a foot long pipe with two flanges and o2 bungs. That would be great. Paying a couple grand for that is silly.
I agree.
      08-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me ask the OP. When you had the stock muffler, driving in M mode/Sport, does it sound louder now??
It is louder than M mode/Sport. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. You will notice more exhaust volume on the lower revs. Up near redline, it sounds just as loud as stock with the valves open, but I do hear more "whoosh" like it's pushing more air.

+1 on Megan making a set of downpipes!!
Appreciate 0