XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

I find it hard to believe that the car was assembled with the wrong alternator. What happens to QC?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #68
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I find it hard to believe that the car was assembled with the wrong alternator. What happens to QC?
Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking about.....when they assemble these vehicles,,,there is a list of what is to go into them, and they bar code scan the items when they install them,,,,,BUT I will give them the benefit of a doubt......we'll see. If this does not work,,could I demand they lemon the vehicle...???
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #69
E70MGU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhlerE83 View Post
Update - Dealer has had the X5 since Tuesday, has twice found a small draw for an hour, but haven't been able to replicate it.

In the meantime I'm rocking the loaner 2012 X3 28i...interesting vehicle.
Got it back Friday evening, all codes were cleared, no actual fix was completed.

Fingers crossed!
      05-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #70
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhlerE83 View Post
Got it back Friday evening, all codes were cleared, no actual fix was completed.

Fingers crossed!
What did they do to fix it....or what did it say on the work order that fixed the problem........would like to pass it on!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #71
E70MGU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

nothing. Just that they tested it and found minor draws.

Just completed a 1000 mile vacation with the wife and had no issues at all.
      05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #72
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

WOW,,,,my car has been in the shop now going on 4 weeks and still they have not found the problem. They replaced the alternator, battery, some relays and still no fix.......
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #73
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
i used to get the message all the time, so i got a charger and charged my battery. Havent see the message since.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #74
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverII View Post
i used to get the message all the time, so i got a charger and charged my battery. Havent see the message since.
I know that is an option,,,BUT there is something inside of me saying,,,"you spent over $70,000 for a vehicle,,,and you have to have a battery charger to charge the battery,,,????? Had 4 MB's the last 3 were AMG's and I never had to use a battery charger,,,,
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #75
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I know that is an option,,,BUT there is something inside of me saying,,,"you spent over $70,000 for a vehicle,,,and you have to have a battery charger to charge the battery,,,????? Had 4 MB's the last 3 were AMG's and I never had to use a battery charger,,,,
Granted, putting on a charger is a PITA.
But what happens if you leave your car at the airport for several weeks in the winter? Should you keep a spare 12V battery and jumpers where the spare tire goes??
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #76
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't get me wrong about the charger,,,,for some people it has to be a viable option especially if you are out of warranty. My X5 50i is a 2011 and still has 3 years of warranty left,,,,,if I had an older vehicle,,OK then, if I wanted to keep it,,charge -the-battery I must, but no-way am I going to keep a charger on a new vehicle. These things should have been engineered into the vehicle.....still taking a hard line on this,,especially on a new vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #77
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

I thought I would chime in on this thread as there doesn't seem to be a definite answer to this problem (after reading every post in this thread). I have a 2011 X5 5.0i and I have been getting the high battery drain warning every morning. The vehicle is being serviced at Calgary BMW and has been in and out of the shop 4 times in the past month because it has not been solved. Here is a listing of what has been tried and tested:

Current battery (white top non AGM) - re-charged and tested (allegedly working)

Central Computer (BMW called it a DME) - waited 10 days for the part to come in from Germany... installed... they didn't bother to test the vehicle to see if it worked before releasing the vehicle back to me. A piss off. So had to go back to the dealership.

Coolant Pump - I could actually hear the coolant pump running when the vehicle was switched off (more often when I actually locked the vehicle), so this made some sense to me. They replaced the pump yesterday, and left the vehicle overnight and it still had the "high battery drain" warning. Although the draw was less than before according to the technician.

Relay (didn't say which one) - The tech traced the problem to a specific relay. Probably a coolant pump related one, this also seems like a logical place to look as something was clearly making the coolant pump run after the vehicle was switched off, like a sensor or something.

I'm new to the BMW X5 after owning several other BMW's, and this one has by far given me the most trouble. So I have a couple of questions for the forum:

1. I know back in the day turbo charged cars would use "turbo timers" to keep the vehicle running and circulate coolant to the hot turbos. I don't live in a particularly hot climate read: Canada and I don't drive the vehicle hard, so I can't imagine the temperature running up that hot. Does my X5 5.0i have such a feature to circulate coolant after the vehicle is switched off? Has anyone else noticed their vehicle having a "whirring sound" for the coolant pump when the vehicle is off?

2. How does a relay work (in two sentences or less)? I'm an excel nerd so I think of it as an =IF scenario, as in if the temp is high then run the coolant pump. Is this thinking correct?

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by Purgatory; 07-05-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #78
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

It is interesting that your vehicle is 2011 X5 and they still put a non AGM battery in it. In my case the battery could not hold the charge so dealer replaced it with AGM battery. No more battery warning despite short trips.

What I notice is even if you don't drive the vehicle hard the engine is quite hot after 30mins of driving. I hear something running under the hood after I turn off the engine. It sounds like the fan but it could be the coolant pump and it stays on for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #79
jmYYC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 M

What was outcome??

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? Took delivery of a stunning white X5M Feb 28.... Taking it to dealer tomorrow with EXACTLY the same messages you posted below... Chassis, system restraint, transmission... Also says high battery drain. Curious what your outcome was. Supposed to drive it to Banff this weekend- have a feeling I'll be in a loaner. Thanks for any insight!!

Car would not start a week ago. The message that i got from the car was:

1. Transmission Malfunction
2. restraint System Malfunction
3. Brake Malfuntion.

Took it to the dealership and told me it was the battery was low and that it was due to Customers behavior. got the car back Monday, drove the car 40 miles everyday in traffic for 2 hours a day since getting the car back. Yesterday night after getting home from work, car would not start again. same message with 1 addition:

3. Brake Malfuntion.
4. Braking/Chasis Stabilization Malfunction.

Cars back in the shop. I also have about 17,000 miles on the car. I love my dealership[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #80
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmYYC View Post
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? Took delivery of a stunning white X5M Feb 28.... Taking it to dealer tomorrow with EXACTLY the same messages you posted below... Chassis, system restraint, transmission... Also says high battery drain. Curious what your outcome was. Supposed to drive it to Banff this weekend- have a feeling I'll be in a loaner. Thanks for any insight!!

Car would not start a week ago. The message that i got from the car was:

3. Brake Malfuntion.

Took it to the dealership and told me it was the battery was low and that it was due to Customers behavior. got the car back Monday, drove the car 40 miles everyday in traffic for 2 hours a day since getting the car back. Yesterday night after getting home from work, car would not start again. same message with 1 addition:

3. Brake Malfuntion.
4. Braking/Chasis Stabilization Malfunction.

Cars back in the shop. I also have about 17,000 miles on the car. I love my dealership
[/QUOTE]

My car spent jusr short of 90 days in the shop. Everything (or so it seemed) was replaced from the alternator, battery, various modules, rear heating controls, the screen,,,really virtually everything,,,and finally it came down to the radio,,,,even though it was showing that it was turned off,,,there was still some kind of drain that was occuring. After the radio was replaced,,,no more issues to date.....I too had a great dealer that was working on this,,,and always provided me with a very good loaner,,from a 7 series to a X5d........hope you get yours fixed!...opps,,I didn't notice the sarcastic remark about the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #81
RussellInman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8i

I have a 2007 x5 with similiar issues. 6 months ago it was doing this and then it just shut down on me while driving on the highyway. Dealer said bad battery could not hold much charge and the aternator was over working so the computer turned the alternator off and the the battery drained and car died. AGM Battery was replaced and registered to the car. 4 weeks ago leaving the pool I started the car and the high drain message showed up again. The clocks were even out so how it started i have no idea??? A week later on the highway after driving 80 miles it shuts down. So once again the computer told the alternator to turn off and the battery drained out. I restared the car with anouther battery i took out of my 3 series and connected it using jumper cables to the terminals under the hood. It stared right up and has worked fine for the last two weeks. I just dont get it????
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #82
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellInman View Post
I have a 2007 x5 with similiar issues. 6 months ago it was doing this and then it just shut down on me while driving on the highyway. Dealer said bad battery could not hold much charge and the aternator was over working so the computer turned the alternator off and the the battery drained and car died. AGM Battery was replaced and registered to the car. 4 weeks ago leaving the pool I started the car and the high drain message showed up again. The clocks were even out so how it started i have no idea??? A week later on the highway after driving 80 miles it shuts down. So once again the computer told the alternator to turn off and the battery drained out. I restared the car with anouther battery i took out of my 3 series and connected it using jumper cables to the terminals under the hood. It stared right up and has worked fine for the last two weeks. I just dont get it????
There are a lot of modules that they can check,,,finally what worked for me was the replacement of the radio,,,,,,,this was after they replaced almost everything else in the car
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #83
RussellInman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8i

Well I have the shop looking at it...it died again on me while driving home on Friday after two week of no symptoms and plenty of driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #84
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Last week or so, I noticed the car taking a bit longer to catch while starting. Nothing crazy, but noticeable. Today after driving 15 minutes (highway), then parking for 1.5 hours, got the message. Damn.

Well 1,500 more miles till oil change, so timing is not bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #85
soopaman15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 S4 Stg3, 2011 X5 5.0i

2011 X5 5.0 M-Sport here. Just had the battery replaced under warranty last week due to high battery discharge. Vehicle has just under 15,000 miles. It's interesting to hear about the radio replacement that solved buckeyewalt's problem. When I purchased my vehicle used over the summer I noticed that the audio in the vehicle had a short in it. It never produced an error message, and the dealer never did anything about it because I could never get it to replicate when I brought it to them. However, I'm certain that it was the audio because when I removed the seatbelt the car wouldn't chime, nor did the stereo sound work. Haven't had this issue recently, but I suspect it will come back again.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #86
jazzcat
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si / '04 330xi

I had that issue a few times in my '08 X5, but the dealer couldn't replicate the problem (surprise, surprise). As an aside, the service manager told me to make sure no chargers were left plugged in as it could be the source of the problem. I followed his advice and haven't had the problem since.

Sorry if my comment proves to be a repeat...I didn't go through all the posts.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #87
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

CTEK 4.3

I have a CTEK 4.3 battery charger. I've put it in recondition mode and am running it on the X6 over the weekend. I'll report back on my success or failure
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #88
Franco62
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed
Just had our battery replaced after getting these messages. Dealer tried to say it was our fault for not driving the car for 18 days and said it would be $450. That must be some battery!!!!!!!

This was not the case, as the car is driven almost daily with 29K in under 2 years. Wife called BMW CS and she had them force the dealer to replace for free.

Odd thing is that they needed to replace the radio also?????? Very odd.........Steve
Were you noticing anything out if the ordinary with the radio ?? I have a 12 X5M and the radio doesn't keep the station in memory it's even changed the presets
Appreciate 0