XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #45
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Very Cool. I am getting my M3 from Bob SMith in Calabasas too, that's where you got the X5M yes?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #46
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

hello - what about pics out the back of your home - is there an ocean out back????
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #47
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, Alpina B7, E92 M3, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92FI View Post
Nice ride. did you buy it from Bob Smith BMW?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Very Cool. I am getting my M3 from Bob SMith in Calabasas too, that's where you got the X5M yes?
Yep, I have bought all my BMWs there (E46M3, E60 M5, X5 4.8, and now X5M). I know the Smith family very well, they are great people and have an awesome dealership. I would never buy a BMW from any other dealer, and I even service all my Bimmers there even though I live almost 20 miles away because of the great service I get every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #48
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Congratulations on the new car mate. You are living the dream!!

If I had enough cash I'd have those exact 2 cars in my garage too. Post more pics of both please

By request here are some more pics of the GTR and a few of my EXes...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #49
googoomas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 155mph (Stupid Limiter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer m View Post
By request here are some more pics of the GTR and a few of my EXes...
Wow...

2016 MBM f30 320i - Gone
2015 BSM/Black f15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #50
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
but im gonna do it any way...

How would you rate the performance of the GT-R, 430, M5 and 997 Turbo? They are all (redundantly) high performance cars, each with their own signature strength. Just curious as to how you would compare them to each other in terms of pure, pedal to the metal, performance (the GT-R first I would assume) and more practical "everyday" performance (maybe the M5 or 997?)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #51
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Nice X5M, RacerM! Congrats. Though I'd avoid the Bob Smith dealer at all costs. In my opinion, they are the worst BMW dealer I have ever encountered and are absolute liars. They're friendly until you sign the dotted line. Then they go back on their word and lie through their teeth. Just Google "Bob Smith BMW" and you'll see many complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #52
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley View Post
but im gonna do it any way...

How would you rate the performance of the GT-R, 430, M5 and 997 Turbo? They are all (redundantly) high performance cars, each with their own signature strength. Just curious as to how you would compare them to each other in terms of pure, pedal to the metal, performance (the GT-R first I would assume) and more practical "everyday" performance (maybe the M5 or 997?)
With many years of pro racing experience I can say that hands down, with not one exception that the Nissan GTR is the best high performance sports car that has ever been made. I have driven almost everything that is out there (Veyron, CGT included) and have never been more impressed with a car than Godzilla. Some will hate on it, but that is just because they are mad that it will destroy their car that costs 3x more on the street and track and, no joke, there could be 100 of Ferraris, Lambos, or Porsches parked at the track, gas station, etc but when the GTR pulls up everyone turns their attention to it. The GTR gets more thumbs ups, what kind of car is that, how fast does that go from 10 years old kids to 65 year old men than anything else I have ever seen or owned. You can fit an entire shopping cart at Costco in the trunk of the GTR (got pics to prove it), take 4 people to the movies in it (not recommended!), and pretty much do anything else an everyday car can do then show up at the track the next day and run faster laps than a Porsche GT3, GT2, CGT, every Ferrari (except the Enzo), every Lambo, every Vette, etc. And that can be accomplished when the car is bone stock, once the modding begins forget about it... just a set of R888s, cobb tune and exhaust and it can do lap times close to a Grandam GT car and pull over 1.5 lateral Gs. The car simply defies the laws of physics and will keep every track junkie smiling ear to ear, lap after lap. The 996TT was highly modded, and was a great street/track car, but technologically is a joke compared to the GTR, the F430 is beautiful and sounds great but is slow and the brakes are horrible, and the M5 is a nice balance but would get its ass handed to it by all the others. If you want the ultimate performance super-car there is no substitute for a GTR, not a day goes by that I miss any of those cars and I only got the X5M so I don't keep putting too many miles on my GTR (I've got 12,000 in 7 months... yes I love this car!).

Last edited by racer m; 10-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: type-o
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #53
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

wow what an amazing collection of cars you have owned. Id love to one day say ive half as many as yourself. cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Congrats on the x5m. I have an x6m on order in white for the wifey. Have I seen you on NAGTROC? Those look like the pictures from the TOP GEAR photo shoot

I agree with you on the F430 brakes. I drove a stock, non-carbon ceramic at williow springs. Faded within 2 laps. You really need to go with the carbon ceramic. ZR1 had the best brakes out of any car I have owned.
      10-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #55
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Congrats on the x5m. I have an x6m on order in white for the wifey. Have I seen you on NAGTROC? Those look like the pictures from the TOP GEAR photo shoot

I agree with you on the F430 brakes. I drove a stock, non-carbon ceramic at williow springs. Faded within 2 laps. You really need to go with the carbon ceramic. ZR1 had the best brakes out of any car I have owned.
I'm on NAGTROC with the same user name, yes. I was at the Top Gear event also, that was a fun day (except my GTR was having tranny and coolant overheating issues - tranny cooler is being fabricated as we speak before the time attack event at Cali-Speedway on Nov 14th and I will be running Willall fluid now). The ZR1 does have a great brake setup, but remember it weighs less than almost every sports car in its class so that will give it a big advantage. You will be amazed though, even with a heavy car (such as a GTR) what kind of stopping performance improvements can be achieved with just as little as swapping out for a more aggressive pad. I upgraded my GTR with stainless steel brake lines, high performance fluid, and now that I have trashed my stock rotors and pads from 3 track events, I am going with the AP slotted rotor upgrade and Pagid pads for the next event. I wanted to go with the J hook rotors but they are extremely noisy and chew up pads faster than any other rotor (at over $1000 for pads I opted for slotted rotors instead). I am excited to see how the car will perform in a few weeks with all of these upgrades!

Can't believe you sold your GTR dude... you weren't feeling it, huh? I couldn't live w/o mine

-Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #56
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
I'm on NAGTROC with the same user name, yes. I was at the Top Gear event also, that was a fun day (except my GTR was having tranny and coolant overheating issues - tranny cooler is being fabricated as we speak before the time attack event at Cali-Speedway on Nov 14th and I will be running Willall fluid now). The ZR1 does have a great brake setup, but remember it weighs less than almost every sports car in its class so that will give it a big advantage. You will be amazed though, even with a heavy car (such as a GTR) what kind of stopping performance improvements can be achieved with just as little as swapping out for a more aggressive pad. I upgraded my GTR with stainless steel brake lines, high performance fluid, and now that I have trashed my stock rotors and pads from 3 track events, I am going with the AP slotted rotor upgrade and Pagid pads for the next event. I wanted to go with the J hook rotors but they are extremely noisy and chew up pads faster than any other rotor (at over $1000 for pads I opted for slotted rotors instead). I am excited to see how the car will perform in a few weeks with all of these upgrades!

Can't believe you sold your GTR dude... you weren't feeling it, huh? I couldn't live w/o mine

-Matt
NICE! I shall see you at California Speedway then. Redline time attack right? I was just there last weekend with PCA. You know, the GT-R was great. But I got so heated with my Nissan dealer in my area, Im surprised that no one has burned that mother to the ground. *cough* *cough* That's about it. (Nearest nissan dealer is a 1 hour away from my local one) I had the paint chipping off the bumper, the usual things that Im sure most GT-R owners had. I had the car over heat alot. In the summer it gets well over 115 out here. I got so sick of them printing out papers on my car blaming things on me. It wasn't the service I liked and every monthly finance charge that came in the mail left a little less of a smile on my face.

I am considering picking one up in a few years however as a track car Once everyone really knows the strength and weakness once they get to high mileage.
      11-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #57
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
NICE! I shall see you at California Speedway then. Redline time attack right? I was just there last weekend with PCA. You know, the GT-R was great. But I got so heated with my Nissan dealer in my area, Im surprised that no one has burned that mother to the ground. *cough* *cough* That's about it. (Nearest nissan dealer is a 1 hour away from my local one) I had the paint chipping off the bumper, the usual things that Im sure most GT-R owners had. I had the car over heat alot. In the summer it gets well over 115 out here. I got so sick of them printing out papers on my car blaming things on me. It wasn't the service I liked and every monthly finance charge that came in the mail left a little less of a smile on my face.

I am considering picking one up in a few years however as a track car Once everyone really knows the strength and weakness once they get to high mileage.
Yeah, the dealers really are idiots. Its really frustrating that Nissan has been so stingy with their BS warranty stipulations. I heard that on the 2010 GTRs it actually says in the manual that if you take the car to the track, drag strip, air strip or even the dyno for that matter it will void your warranty completely! How they can advertise and promote the car as the king of the track, have every auto magazine on the planet have it on the cover, and even post an official video of a Nissan test driver piloting the car around the Nurburgring (with the VDC off I might add, which is another good-bye warranty rule), then threaten every customer with surrendering their warranty if they do the same? My first experience at the dealer was about as bad as it can get; we broke one of the TPMS sensors when mounting the R888s on my wheels, and when we put the new one on it needed to be re-calibrated. After going to the dealer to have this done, and waiting for over an hour, the service tech told me that it couldn't be done without removing all the tires and re-calibrating every TPMS sensor because I changed the tires on the car from the factory ones! They wanted $500 to do it LOL.

Regardless, when purchasing my GTR I was planning to modify it far beyond any point in which a warranty claim could be filed, unless my windshield wipers break. However, for the customer who wants to leave their car stock and take it to the track a few times, I can see how they might lean towards a different make. Even the required services on the car are ridiculous if you read the owner's manual.

As far as the time attack goes, I have recently decided that I probably won't be competing in my car unless I can get a set of JRZ coilovers installed prior to the event. The stock suspension might not be enough to handle the high speed compression through the bank, and smashing my carbon splitter into the tarmac or having a blowout at 150mph+ would probably end in a very bad day. I will probably still be out there though, so come say hi.

-Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #58
Fe9L
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few Euro M3s and more...

wow..nice collection in the past and the present...keep it up man
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #59
acho71
Rep
Drives: Maser QPS

Quote:
With many years of pro racing experience I can say that hands down, with not one exception that the Nissan GTR is the best high performance sports car that has ever been made. I have driven almost everything that is out there (Veyron, CGT included) and have never been more impressed with a car than Godzilla. Some will hate on it, but that is just because they are mad that it will destroy their car that costs 3x more on the street and track and, no joke, there could be 100 of Ferraris, Lambos, or Porsches parked at the track, gas station, etc but when the GTR pulls up everyone turns their attention to it. The GTR gets more thumbs ups, what kind of car is that, how fast does that go from 10 years old kids to 65 year old men than anything else I have ever seen or owned. You can fit an entire shopping cart at Costco in the trunk of the GTR (got pics to prove it), take 4 people to the movies in it (not recommended!), and pretty much do anything else an everyday car can do then show up at the track the next day and run faster laps than a Porsche GT3, GT2, CGT, every Ferrari (except the Enzo), every Lambo, every Vette, etc. And that can be accomplished when the car is bone stock, once the modding begins forget about it... just a set of R888s, cobb tune and exhaust and it can do lap times close to a Grandam GT car and pull over 1.5 lateral Gs. The car simply defies the laws of physics and will keep every track junkie smiling ear to ear, lap after lap. The 996TT was highly modded, and was a great street/track car, but technologically is a joke compared to the GTR, the F430 is beautiful and sounds great but is slow and the brakes are horrible, and the M5 is a nice balance but would get its ass handed to it by all the others. If you want the ultimate performance super-car there is no substitute for a GTR, not a day goes by that I miss any of those cars and I only got the X5M so I don't keep putting too many miles on my GTR (I've got 12,000 in 7 months... yes I love this car!).
Very interesting. I've been eyeing a GTR but have been getting mixed feedback. It appears that we've had very similar vehicles (I had a highly modded 997 Turbo, M5, M6, and X5M for the everyday stuff). I have a buddy had modded his GTR and he's advising against it (former 997 Turbo owner) and another that has a stock GTR and LOVES it and is bugging me to get one (he owns 997S, M6, RS6, Cayenne Turbo). I think I will go check one out based on your experience above.

Thanks and good read BTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #60
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Racer M,

Did you consider getting a Cayenne (GTS / Turbo / Turbo S) vs. the X5 M? Wants to get your thoughts on how you ended up choosing the X5M as you seem to not be biased against a particular carmaker given your stable of current / past vehicles.

Would appreciate your thoughts and I am considering a X5 M.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #61
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #62
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

First Mods Complete

Painted reflectors body color, smoked tail lights, painted kidney grills and rear diffuser flat black, and powdercoated stock wheels flat black

Passport 9500ci also installed, I am invisible!

She's going to the dyno today to work on a custom tune, should be able to pull another 80hp out of this engine no problem...

-Matt
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #63
acho71
Rep

Looks amazing...regret getting the 21 inch wheels in black after seeing your stockers powdercoated.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #64
acho71
Rep

Where did you install your Laser diffusers?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #65
racer m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acho71 View Post
Where did you install your Laser diffusers?
Beach Autosound in Huntington Beach, CA

Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up that afternoon:

http://www.beachautosound.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #66
acho71
Rep

Quote:
Beach Autosound in Huntington Beach, CA

Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up that afternoon:

http://www.beachautosound.com/
Sorry I meant what part of the bumpers as I can't see them in the picture or are the installers THAT good?
Appreciate 0