XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #67
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Inside job...college kid working at the local stealership could easily code and uncode a spare key.

I would sell yur house as well ...ok that was a joke.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #68
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

...u and yur wifey on good terms?? Sorry, others were thinking it, so I had to ask....no guy of hers messing with u??

If so, set up camera and 50 cal. on top of the house...when shooting don't hit yur car.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #69
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

who cares you have insurance... just hope they never recover it
      10-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #70
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Easy... Correctly coded "Comfort Access"

Either way, a inside job!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #71
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is super easy to add another key, and highly unlikely your car was stolen without a coded key. Sort-of hard to do without working for BMW/dealer group, or having one of the two master keys that came w/the car. It sounds like somebody added a CA key, and there you have it. Sorry to hear your loss regardless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalty View Post
We have a 2005 X5. In June someone stole it out of our driveway. The doors were locked (we're always very careful about locking them because we live near a high school and the kids will steal out of your cars).

We have the two keys plus the plastic valet key for it. Anyway they drove it about 40 miles and then went through it and just stole our nav disc and our iPod charger. They abandoned the vehicle near our home and we found it two days later with just a broken mirror and they scraped the side of the tire and fender on something. Crazy thing is... they locked the damned doors and set the alarm!

The insurance and car lot couldn't believe it was stolen without a key. They grilled us and we showed them we had all three keys. The BMW lot checked the car to see if there were any other keys made for it that were active and they said that our keys were the only keys in the system.

Now it's December and this morning I go out to my car and climb in and the driver's side seat belt is buckled when I climb in... I knew something was off given I drove it last night and would never have locked the drivers side seatbelt into itself. I leave an ipod in my car every night but I drop it under the seat so people can't see it. Our windows are tinted limo black all around so it's hard to see in anyway, specially in the dark.

Anyway I remember locking my doors last night because I dropped my keys as I as fumbling to lock it and then picked them up and locked it.

This morning my car was locked. They set the radio to an AM station, stole my ipod and RE-LOCKED MY CAR.

Now how in the hell is someone doing this? I'm about to sell this damned car because someone can obviously just get into it anytime they want. I thought these cars were thief-proof? Should I get ANOTHER alarm put on it to keep someone out of it?

Has anyone heard of this happening?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #72
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Of course the OP has stopped posting???
      10-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #73
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I remember hearing that with your Vin# someone could get a key made for your BMW.
      10-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #74
Living
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I guess it is possible with a wireless encoder. I know this from Germany where a lot of cars get stolen and transferred to the eastern European states.

What they do is they will sit in a car mor or less of 40-50. ft away. When you are using your remote to unlock or lock they an catch this signal and can save it on a laptop.
Now because this signal was send out from the original key no one notice. The will send out the same signal just a duplicate from the laptop.

Maybe this is a possibility.
Get your keys re-coded!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #75
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

I have an idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
      10-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #76
BabyCAP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hey All - I just joined here to post on this topic. I had an Escalade stolen w/o the key. Police found it about 30 days later with new locks, new plate, new rims and a fake vin in a couple spots. Clearly a professional job. If those plates had been called in they would read some bogus message that would make the vehicle check appear ok. The only reason they knew it was mine was b/c of a small dent/mark in the rear that I had described. This was in MD and the officer who recovered my car was with a stolen vehicle task force. He explained that someone had likely spotted my car and looked through the windshield (driver side) to see the vin#. From there, as others have mentioned, one can find a dishonest person anywhere in the country who works for an auto dealer to make a key. The officer suggested that I get an index card and color it black with permanent marker and use this to block my windshield vin#. It is illegal to do so but he said most law enforcement would understand and not ticket.

Hope this info might help some others out. It is an awful feeling to wake up and see your car GONE
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #77
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

I would recommend if your car is stolen to use the BMW assist because, correct me if I'm wrong, you can get the exact gps location. Also I have LoJack early warning protection system, so if my car is moved... I get a phone call, text, an email saying that my car was moved. Also if you get your car stolen you can call LoJack, report it a a stolen car and cops will assist you in finding the car and get live gps tracking of your car.

I would mostly invest In Motion sensor lights, cameras (also post the sign that says house is under surveillance), take all valuables out your car and park that in the garage. A car expensive like an x5 should be in the garage, not out in the driveway showing off you got money IMO.

Also not many people pay attention to this, but when your driving, pay attention to the car behind you. If they are following you, don't go home. Use alternative routes or go somewhere else, sooner or later they will stop the chase.

And, if all else fails, have a stakeout like the guys above stated and find out who is messing with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #78
Lphiemcpho
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.8

That's crazy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #79
Lt. General
Rep
Drives: X5 5.0, 540i, 1965 C2

Quote:
Anyway they drove it about 40 miles and
If any of you steal my truck...could you leave a note as to how many miles u drive.... Cause I wouldn't have a clue.

I know I have aprox 11,000 mi
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #80
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

Steal my X5 without a key? LOL

... good luck with that.

BMW engineering is too smart for that ... on later models.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #81
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
OP, is there any chance you keep your comfort access keys close enough to your parked vehicle that even though you lock the X5 it is within range and when a thief approaches the vehicle and tries the door - it opens! They push the start button and it starts so they drive off but can not start the car again because they have no key? Just a hunch.
      01-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
Fedupwiththievingscumbags
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D MSPORT CONVERTIBLE

Exclamation How Much Is This Actually Happening?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parv66 View Post
Our 3yr old X5 was stolen from outside our home recently without the keys. Despite it being alarmed ect, 'they' had smashed the drivers side window & taken it!
We just have no idea as to how they could have done that without having the keys....
We also found out that our neighbour had his BMW 5 taken a few days earlier - same MO.

We both are trying to find out just how many other BMW's have been taken in the MO around the Solihull area of the West Midlands. It appears 2 other BM's were taken afew days after ours in a neighbouring suburb.

We would appreciate contact from anyone who has had the same done to them and also from recent victims in the Solihull/Warwick areas. Any ideas has to how they can:
a) break into a BMW without setting off the alarm
b) over-ride the immobiliser.
b) take a car without keys.
d) re-start the stolen car when stopped.

Never having been victims of a stolen vehicle I can appreciate what others have gone through. The stress, inconvenience, the not knowing how, or why 'your' car - (there are other very nice looking BMW's parked up in the vacinity) and now the whole new experience of going through the insurance process!

I am a new user to this site so bear with me!!! Just reading through and I am astonished and utterly disgusted at the amount of people that have been subjected to losing their cars!

In June 2011, my fiance surprised me with a E350 cdi cabriolet. Fully loaded, upgraded 19" AMGS, REVERSING CAMERA, HARMON KARDON, In fact, you name it, the car had it. I blissfully drove my pride and joy for 4 whole weeks before some thieving animal piece of c*** scum saw fit to put a sledgehammer through the back of the house (while I was here with my son) and take the keys and the car. Never to be seen again.

The insurance eventually coughed up (not the full £50k but near enough) and we had bought a 330d BMW convertible in the meantime as the insurance was taking so long Not a patch on the Merc but still a nice car.

NYE, we travelled from Hampshire to Birmingham to see friends. We all went shopping and parked at a train station with cctv in the middle of the day, caught a 10 minute train into the main shopping centre and retuned 2 hours later. On NYE, once again with my young son with me, we were met with no car and broken glass everywhere.

The car was recovered the following day thankfully (the merc was never seen again). I am however totally miffed as to how these animals managed to take my car in broad daylight, in a carpark with cctv (the whole thing was caught on camera but too far away too see what they did). Not to mention the fact that the spare key was in a safe at home and the other keys were in my handbag. According to the police, there were 4 stolen (all 330d) in the same way, the same day in that area... but HOW?

BMW are so unhelpful. Pompus pigs said it was not their problem!! I cannot lose another car and now live in fear that it is going to happen again! I have had 2 cars stolen in 5 months in 2 totally different ways... when does this stop?

Can anyone shed any light on how they are doing this or better still, how i can stop mine going again?

My biggest regret is not insisting on a tracker for the Merc. The BMW does not have one, however it is not the value of the other car, nor do I plan on keeping it long... just a little longer than the thieves thought I was... BA****DS!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #83
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Keyless theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththievingscumbags View Post
Can anyone shed any light on how they are doing this or better still, how i can stop mine going again?
One technique involves a laptop with software that can break the car's access and key codes. If you have keyless entry there would be no need to break glass with this technique.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gone-in-...teal-cars.html

There are other methods, as well. Basically, any car that uses a key with a transponder can be stolen without the key.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #84
Peter.J
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

2011 x5m windows opened

Ok here's one for you: 2 days ago I went out to car and all 4 windows were rolled down as if it had been done with key like on our mini S. Key was in my office and not in pocket so not subject to bumps and no one had access to key. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #85
JRRdz
Rep
Drives: X5

Do you sleep walk? This may not be a technical issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #86
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

I've read many posts on this and it's scary..

it seems like either the owner is still nearby and the remote (via comfort access) can still transmit and allow access to these vehicles or someone is sitting and watching nearby and recording and playing back these signals to easily unlock, press start and take off...

do you think adding an autolock (break lock) device to this mix will discourage him from going through the extra trouble?

or something else? (pit bull, flame thrower, etc..)
      01-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #87
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalty
We have a 2005 X5. In June someone stole it out of our driveway. The doors were locked (we're always very careful about locking them because we live near a high school and the kids will steal out of your cars).

We have the two keys plus the plastic valet key for it. Anyway they drove it about 40 miles and then went through it and just stole our nav disc and our iPod charger. They abandoned the vehicle near our home and we found it two days later with just a broken mirror and they scraped the side of the tire and fender on something. Crazy thing is... they locked the damned doors and set the alarm!

The insurance and car lot couldn't believe it was stolen without a key. They grilled us and we showed them we had all three keys. The BMW lot checked the car to see if there were any other keys made for it that were active and they said that our keys were the only keys in the system.

Now it's December and this morning I go out to my car and climb in and the driver's side seat belt is buckled when I climb in... I knew something was off given I drove it last night and would never have locked the drivers side seatbelt into itself. I leave an ipod in my car every night but I drop it under the seat so people can't see it. Our windows are tinted limo black all around so it's hard to see in anyway, specially in the dark.

Anyway I remember locking my doors last night because I dropped my keys as I as fumbling to lock it and then picked them up and locked it.

This morning my car was locked. They set the radio to an AM station, stole my ipod and RE-LOCKED MY CAR.

Now how in the hell is someone doing this? I'm about to sell this damned car because someone can obviously just get into it anytime they want. I thought these cars were thief-proof? Should I get ANOTHER alarm put on it to keep someone out of it?

Has anyone heard of this happening?
Maybe your doing it while sleepwalking... Food for thought
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #88
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRdz
Do you sleep walk? This may not be a technical issue.
Damn I didn't see what u wrote before I posted lol
Appreciate 0