XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Ideas for replacing shocks and struts

Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of trying to decide which shock and struts to go with for replacing my factory worn ones. I see Bilstein makes a set and was wondering if anyone has any experience of how good they are in comparison to the factory ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

B4, B6, or B8? B4 is just like stock (not sure if they make this one for the e70 x5?). B6, is a performance improvement, and B8 is meant for lowered vehicles. B6/B8 are valved the same.

Bilstein is awful in keeping up with manufacturing and inventory. They have inventory issues worldwide on various makes/model of shock/struts. which I think is the case here with the X5 fitment. You can't go wrong with them though in many cases for a simple bolt in application.

I also know of a Koni red application, but those AFAIK, ride like stock, vs the yellows which offer adjustable rebound.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
B4, B6, or B8? B4 is just like stock (not sure if they make this one for the e70 x5?). B6, is a performance improvement, and B8 is meant for lowered vehicles. B6/B8 are valved the same.

Bilstein is awful in keeping up with manufacturing and inventory. They have inventory issues worldwide on various makes/model of shock/struts. which I think is the case here with the X5 fitment. You can't go wrong with them though in many cases for a simple bolt in application.

I also know of a Koni red application, but those AFAIK, ride like stock, vs the yellows which offer adjustable rebound.
Thanks for the input. I spoke with ECS and they are having a special on Koni's adaptive ride shocks, and they were described as being better than stock or the base line Bilsteins. I'm leaning towards the Konis just for slightly better than stock ride and handling.
Appreciate 0