XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
Velos Tuning In Progress- crisis averted!

**Edit: A big shout you to the Velos team for being kick ass and helping me through my stupidity**

I want to inquire all those who have gone through the Velos tuning process.

During the mod file writing, my handheld seems to not be progressing at all after 30-40 mins of the process - still a blank progress bar.

Anyone gone thru this to settle my nerves that I didn't do something wrong? How long did your mod file take to write?

When gathering the stock file, the progress bar chugged along to at least know you had begun something.
Attached Images

Last edited by ncbimma; 03-13-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
I want to inquire all those who have gone through the Velos tuning process.

During the mod file writing, my handheld seems to not be progressing at all after 30-40 mins of the process - still a blank progress bar.

Anyone gone thru this to settle my nerves that I didn't do something wrong? How long did your mod file take to write?

When gathering the stock file, the progress bar chugged along to at least know you had begun something.
Did you leave the keys in the car while doing the write process? I haven't installed my Velos tune yet but when I was pulling the ECU file I forgot to take my keys out of my pocket, walked away to do something else, and the car went from the "on" position to the accessory position, or just turned off can't really remember. Caused the handheld to stop what it was doing. I had to restart the read process and leave the keys in the car so it wouldn't turn off.

Figured I'd just throw the easiest thing I could think out there 👍🏼
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Did you leave the keys in the car while doing the write process?
Keys are in the car...my car requires the keys to go in the ignition (non-smart key).

Handheld is still on power and still at this point at that same screen but no progress bars.

I'm afraid to unplug it and restart as I don't want to jack anything up and have a partially written ECU.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Did you leave the keys in the car while doing the write process?
Keys are in the car...my car requires the keys to go in the ignition (non-smart key).

Handheld is still on power and still at this point at that same screen but no progress bars.

I'm afraid to unplug it and restart as I don't want to jack anything up and have a partially written ECU.
Doubt restarting the process would be an issue since I believe the tune file rewrites the entire ECU but better to see if someone else can chime in to confirm that or reach out to Stephen/Omar and see what's up.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doubt restarting the process would be an issue since I believe the tune file rewrites the entire ECU but better to see if someone else can chime in to confirm that or reach out to Stephen/Omar and see what's up.
Guess that makes me dumb for doing this outside of east coast business hours...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

You have the vehicle hooked up to a battery stabilizer, I assume?

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
I consider this my negligence. I read wrong and was assuming battery tender and not a battery stabilizer. Omar even stated this in email..ugh.

I pulled the plug for tonight, guess I'll be giving them a call in the morning to see how I can revert my stupidity
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
I consider this my negligence. I read wrong and was assuming battery tender and not a battery stabilizer. Omar even stated this in email..ugh.

I pulled the plug for tonight, guess I'll be giving them a call in the morning to see how I can revert my stupidity
You can just load your stock file back on and try again... I can't remember if this exact thing happened to me, but I definitely had to start over. The whole process took about 25 mins... I used a battery tender the first time as well, and it didn't have any problems... give it another shot, you have your stock file to flash back to if needed. I would think your car just isn't in the right mode... just switch on the dash, like you're gonna start it, but leave your foot off the brake...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
You can just load your stock file back on and try again... I can't remember if this exact thing happened to me, but I definitely had to start over. The whole process took about 25 mins... I used a battery tender the first time as well, and it didn't have any problems... give it another shot, you have your stock file to flash back to if needed. I would think your car just isn't in the right mode...
Might try again I think the morning, i am afraid I'm going to brick my ECU with all these failures to write!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can just load your stock file back on and try again... I can't remember if this exact thing happened to me, but I definitely had to start over. The whole process took about 25 mins... I used a battery tender the first time as well, and it didn't have any problems... give it another shot, you have your stock file to flash back to if needed. I would think your car just isn't in the right mode...
Might try again I think the morning, i am afraid I'm going to brick my ECU with all these failures to write!
I know how you feel, but it will always let you flash the stock one back on... I panicked a bunch when I first did it as well, it feels complicated and you want to make sure you do everything right, but if you just follow the steps, it goes without issue. If it hangs, just start over, everything will be fine. Check the connections as well, my obd2 port was unscrewed and is a pita to plug in, a slight move and the cable unplugs enough to lose communication. I literally sat the handheld down, then plugged it in and didn't pick it up until it was done lol. Then you'll get check engine lights once the map is loaded, you have to tune the car on and off a few times... Omar puts that in the email as well, but I somehow missed it. Good luck man, Velos folks will help you over the phone if there is a legit issue.
Lastly, if you worried for the battery, you can get one of these from your dealer like I did and pay an arm and a leg, or grab a CTEK off of Amazon, that's the company that makes the BMW branded one anyway and it's like half the price... you'll want the 4.3 8 stage one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ncbimma100.00
      03-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Could have sworn my process took~45 min, although maybe that was an initial step. Pretty sure I did mine first without any battery assistance/ maintenance for starters, but I did acquire one Omar suggested for round 2 ( that antsy feeling sucked and I got nervous heading into that 2nd ECU connect).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #12
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Welp, add insult to injury- car is on charger to recharge for the day. Consolation prize is drive the 2002 to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Did mine without either but the battery was fairly new.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
9vapors
Major
Rep

If you ever want to sell that 2002, let me know... I love that thing so much
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #15
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Talked to the Velos team and got a tech on the phone. I explained my actions, they defined the issue and how to resolve.

Turned out my old ass battery was dipping in the middle of the write sequence and would kill the process.

Fired it up for a few with an approved maintainer and then was able to recover and once again, wrote the mod file.

Lesson learned- heed the Omar email!!

Solid bunch of guys, very supportive and made themselves available for questions- even though this was all my fault!

First impression in m mode, prior 50% throttle feels as if it only takes 15% now. Very spunky! I look forward to learning all the power curves again.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ncbimma; 03-13-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
9vapors648.00
      03-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Oh and to answer the initial question of the OP...it took 20 mins to write the mod file.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh and to answer the initial question of the OP...it took 20 mins to write the mod file.
Awesome man, glad you got it worked out! M mode is great, but move the shifter over to sport mode as well, get your burble on! You'll notice better mileage as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome man, glad you got it worked out! M mode is great, but move the shifter over to sport mode as well, get your burble on! You'll notice better mileage as well.
Well yeah...flappy paddle lifestyle. I don't ever drive in "D". Ask the nearest gas station.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #19
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well yeah...flappy paddle lifestyle. I don't ever drive in "D". Ask the nearest gas station.
I never use the paddles, just drive it in sport... did you ever get downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
VRSF catless installed. Fabspeed exhaust. It's pretty noisy...lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #21
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
VRSF catless installed. Fabspeed exhaust. It's pretty noisy...lol
Ah that's right... we have a very similar setup, the noise is crazy during cold start for sure. It borders on too loud, but I love it. Been meaning to ask, do you have a journal for your 2002 anywhere? I really would love to get one and build it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Flappy paddle gang 👍🏼 Sometimes if I want to relax it's in D with M mode on. If the shifter is to the left I prefer to shift manually. I like to choose what gears I hold not hold gears constantly. I'd say I use a 50:50 split between paddles and shifter.
Appreciate 0