XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

03-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #89
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_TommyP View Post
Here you go, ignore the red wire that is my power wire for my heated steering wheel retrofit. Went a little overboard on the hole I drilled because I wasn’t sure if I was going to use a usb extension that would have needed to fit through the hole. ended up going to bestbuy and buying a 2 meter apple wire and it works perfect, now I have slack to bring the phone up to the cup holders which is what I like to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162795.../shares/nRc22d
Sending PM with some follow up questions. Thanks for the pictures.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:56 AM   #90
gghtpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive35i

GB opt in

If the group buy is still open, I will like to join.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #91
gghtpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Check your PM...
Being impatient

If you are putting a group buy, I will like to get in for 2016 z4.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #92
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghtpc View Post
Being impatient

If you are putting a group buy, I will like to get in for 2016 z4.
Me? Thank you, but not me. I initially started the GB early on, but chickened out. Luckily for the rest of us, SimSimmah volunteered to take over from me. It's a difficult task, at least for me it was. Sorry.
Appreciate 1
gghtpc4.50
      03-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #93
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I've done we installed per the instructions yesterday. But I seem to be having a few problems, I was hoping to get some help here from those who have done the install before me. So I've done we installed per the instructions yesterday. But I seem to be having a few problems, I was hoping to get some help here from those who have done the install before me.

First issue, my Bluetooth doesn't seem to work anymore now. When I try and use the phone the Bluetooth seems to keep just spinning. I wonder if there is a DIP switch that needs to be flipped one way or the other or if it is just something with the box now.

Second issue, well I can see the screen and launch the apps, this seems to be an issue with sound. I still hear the radio or whatever activity is being played when I launch the CarPlay.

I'm hoping that maybe there is something with how I installed it, or maybe a setting on the box that I need to correct. Has anyone else faced this as well? I'm willing to wait for the sound issue, but the Bluetooth issue is much more important as I can't answer the phone now using the car. Thanks in advance for all your help.

UPDATE TO POST: it appears that none of my BMW connected drive functions work. BMW apps does not work, and I'm not sure if the Connected drive activities work either.

Last edited by jersey john; 03-04-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #94
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: *E46 M3 *E70 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
So I've done we installed per the instructions yesterday. But I seem to be having a few problems, I was hoping to get some help here from those who have done the install before me. So I've done we installed per the instructions yesterday. But I seem to be having a few problems, I was hoping to get some help here from those who have done the install before me.

First issue, my Bluetooth doesn't seem to work anymore now. When I try and use the phone the Bluetooth seems to keep just spinning. I wonder if there is a DIP switch that needs to be flipped one way or the other or if it is just something with the box now.

Second issue, well I can see the screen and launch the apps, this seems to be an issue with sound. I still hear the radio or whatever activity is being played when I launch the CarPlay.

I'm hoping that maybe there is something with how I installed it, or maybe a setting on the box that I need to correct. Has anyone else faced this as well? I'm willing to wait for the sound issue, but the Bluetooth issue is much more important as I can't answer the phone now using the car. Thanks in advance for all your help.

UPDATE TO POST: it appears that none of my BMW connected drive functions work. BMW apps does not work, and I'm not sure if the Connected drive activities work either.

I’m not much of a help as far as bmw apps and all that because I don’t have any of that but for sound make sure you select the aux jack on the media screen also make sure your aux cable that is part of the harness (AUX OUT) is all the way in the aux jack in the center console. When selecting the aux in the media screen select volume and put it to half on the media screen. As far as Bluetooth I’m not really sure why yours is not connecting, I haven’t had any issues with that, you should be able to answer calls when in the car play worst case scenario.. I have found that when I want audio to work on my car play I need to pick the aux in media screen first before long holding on the menu button. Also for pandora to work on car play I need to open my phone once I get into the app on the screen for it to start playing music.

Last edited by E46_TommyP; 03-04-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #95
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

dipswitches 1 and 4 are in the down position, the rest in the up position. For reference see KP’s photos on page 3 of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #96
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dipswitches 1 and 4 are in the down position, the rest in the up position. For reference see KP's photos on page 3 of this thread.
Have to take a look at my dip switches. Not sure if they're set up that way.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #97
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Quote:

My best suggestion is to check to ensure all connections are properly snug and your dip switches are set the same as mine since I believe we have the same 8.8" CIC and model year. I know, that's not much help. The way it works in my bimmer is that all functions and signals operate as if nothing has changed when the system is not activated. It works as a simple pass through until turned on. Have you tried the email/chat support for the company? Unichip-Tec.

Re: Second issue - I know I can mix and match. By that I mean I can still listen to AM/FM/XM radio off the BMW head unit when CarPlay is engaged for maps. I have to hit media, and select the aux input, then long press menu to get back into CarPlay to have an audio and video feed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #98
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Hey guys. Between a full time job, building a drift car, and rebuilding a motorcycle... and doing a clutch on my dirtbike, I'm just not going to have time to organize a group buy. but... it NEVER hurts to ask for a discount. Hint hint... ask. I got one just for asking.

Also, Does this carplay unit support waze/ google maps? and audible?
      03-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #99
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
Hey guys. Between a full time job, building a drift car, and rebuilding a motorcycle... and doing a clutch on my dirtbike, I'm just not going to have time to organize a group buy. but... it NEVER hurts to ask for a discount. Hint hint... ask. I got one just for asking.

Also, Does this carplay unit support waze/ google maps? and audible?
Yes to Waze (used it this morning), yes to Google maps, yes to Audible.
All supported CarPlay apps >> https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay
Appreciate 1
Spyro235258.50
      03-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #100
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Thanks- admittedly I should've just googled that. Thank you for entertaining my laziness though!

Also-I was wondering how phone calls work now. I'd actually rather keep the native bluetooth phone answering system- is that possible? Or if carplay is active, the phone call has to come through carplay, and therefore the new microphone has to be used?

Any comments on the microphone quality? Where did you all place them? I would hate to lose significant phonecall quality.
      03-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #101
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks- admittedly I should've just googled that. Thank you for entertaining my laziness though!

Also-I was wondering how phone calls work now. I'd actually rather keep the native bluetooth phone answering system- is that possible? Or if carplay is active, the phone call has to come through carplay, and therefore the new microphone has to be used?

Any comments on the microphone quality? Where did you all place them? I would hate to lose significant phonecall quality.
What can I say, I'm an enabler!

I'm still using the native Bluetooth system for my iPhone and have no complaints. If CarPlay is active, you can control the phone via CarPlay interface or the steering wheel buttons, or the phone itself. I like this combination b/c if I pull the lightning cable or turn off the car, the call doesn't drop from the BMW audio source mid call. My mic is directly above my rear view mirror clipped onto the grommet on the head liner and the wires are tucked up under the headliner.
Appreciate 2
Spyro235258.50
      03-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #102
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

I have them offering me a unit for $369+25 shipping, and she tells me that's actually for the 5 unit deal that they're offering me on the one unit. $299 is the 10 unit deal.

So all in, would you say it was worth it? I do spend 2 hours a day commuting, and expect to be doing at least one 20 hour (each way) trip this summer, and I'm thinking the convenience might really be worth it, rather than having my phone mounted in some funky, crappy lookiing way.
      03-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #103
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ugh. I have them offering me a unit for $369+25 shipping, and she tells me that's actually for the 5 unit deal that they're offering me on the one unit. $299 is the 10 unit deal.

So all in, would you say it was worth it? I do spend 2 hours a day commuting, and expect to be doing at least one 20 hour trip this summer, and I'm thinking the convenience might really be worth it, rather than having my phone mounted in some funky, crappy lookiing way.
I know you are busy, but I think there's already 5ish units on this thread that missed out on the group buy if you wanted to organize another for the deeper discount.

Value:
  • For short 5 minute trips, no. I spend more time forking with it, but that could be some learning curve on my part.
  • For distance driving, I enjoy the larger screen for maps and the voice integration for texting/emailing.
  • I do still grumble about the XM/Pandora apps daily, but that also could be my connection or a user error on my part. If you have local files (music, books, podcasts) there's no problem and no lag.
  • Siri, email me and remind me to subscribe to more podcasts!
  • Having my texts read as they come in is a nice to have and I really like being able to email myself ideas that pop into my head with while driving.

I know, I'm dodging the 'is it worth it?' yes/no, but for me I guess the jury is still out. For $100? Hell yeah! For $200? For $300? For $400? For $500? Well, I guess that depends on what $20 means to you.
Appreciate 1
Spyro235258.50
      03-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #104
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Money is a little tight due to the upcoming drifting season. I really can't decide, but I think I'll likely end up doing it to have better maps on the screen. I'm going to think about it for a day or two.
      03-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #105
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To those who were on the Group Buy, can you PM me? I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #106
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
To those who were on the Group Buy, can you PM me? I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

Thanks!
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #107
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, ignore the red wire that is my power wire for my heated steering wheel retrofit. Went a little overboard on the hole I drilled because I wasn’t sure if I was going to use a usb extension that would have needed to fit through the hole. ended up going to bestbuy and buying a 2 meter apple wire and it works perfect, now I have slack to bring the phone up to the cup holders which is what I like to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162795.../shares/nRc22d
I figured out my first question- My next is this:

There is a camera in female plug on the CarPlay box harness. Do I have to use that?

Last edited by Spyro235; 03-12-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #108
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

While I don’t have an E70, hoping someone has some help for my problem in my E85.

I have the box setup in my 2016 F85 X5M in the 10.2 NBT version and everything works with one massive annoyance. When making any call over the CarPlay interface the person on the other end of the line ends up hearing an echo when they speak. They hear me talking from in the car fine and I do not hear any echo at all in the car. I get the impression the new external microphone gets into a mini feedback loop. This is emphasized as the volume of the call is turned up. I have the microphone mounted just in front of my rear view mirror at the roofline.

I’ve tried contacting Unichip directly But the support is really bad. I provided them the groupbuy information but they claim they can’t find my email address. I’ve tried multiple cables and am sure my aux settings are correct as everything else works perfectly.

Has anyone else ran into this problem by chance or have any advice?

I’ve also tried doing a hybrid Bluetooth and aux audio combination but it doesn’t work. I can make Bluetooth calls fine but can’t be connected to Bluetooth using the CarPlay otherwise I get no sound.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if you’re not the right contact... I’m grasping at straws here

Thanks!
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #109
E46_TommyP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I figured out my first question- My next is this:

There is a camera in female plug on the CarPlay box harness. Do I have to use that?
The only time you would use that female camera plug would be if you bought an aftermarket backup or forward facing camera, if you don’t have one of those disregard and leave in dash. The side trim piece is pretty simple to take off, 1 screw, 2 trim style push in clips & 2 slide in style hooks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #110
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The only time you would use that female camera plug would be if you bought an aftermarket backup or forward facing camera, if you don’t have one of those disregard and leave in dash. The side trim piece is pretty simple to take off, 1 screw, 2 trim style push in clips & 2 slide in style hooks.
Thanks!
Yea, totally missed the screw at first, was almost covered with the carpet. I got mine all installed last night. I ziptied mine to the holder thing and mashed the far side of it between the light foam insulation and the sound deadening behind the vents. I couldn't seen to figure out how to easily get the bottom of the center console out, so I gave up and ran the wires from the carper into the back, but I'd like to redo them at some point to get them inside. It was getting late, and I was watching my hours of sleep slowly dwindle away, so I put everything back together before I figured it out.

Shout out for posting the instructions, followed them to a T and it went perfectly!