XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

12-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
M4drift
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 MPE, DCT, Carbon galore

Fitment issues with VRSF downpipes, anyone else?. X6M

Hello everyone,

Wondering if others have run into the same problem I am having. Long story short drivers side downpipe fit with "some" tweaking/finessing of the flex pipe however the passenger side doesn't stand a chance of lining up. The flex joint is firmly pressed into the block/heat shield long before the top can get anywhere close to where it needs to be. Even with forcing the hell out of it the passenger side is just too far off to be usable. Absolute interference fit and will not turn out well long term for the flex joint as it grinds into the block with normal expansion/contraction and vibration. Top and bottom are fixed axis as the back of turbo and the fixed flange it sits in below do not move. So there really is no "magic trick" to install and alignment.

What's super frustrating, beyond just the poor fitment of the pipe, is the absolute lack of communication from VRSF. I emailed them, because they have no phone number listed anywhere and the only one I could dig up from searching no one ever answers, and this was late last Friday. I also emailed Mike at XPH whom I purchased them through and he did respond Saturday morning, asked for pics, and forwarded them on to VRSF. Since then however no further response from anyone and the X is torn down and dead in the water costing me $ by the day. I also emailed VRSF weeks in advance confirming fitment by VIN (since there is two bolt and slip fit variations) and to this day zero response. It is the 2 bolt flange type so that portion is correct, just passenger fitment is laughable at best.

Did anyone else encounter this issue on install? 2012 X6M Ready to box these up and return them as I now see why these are cheaper then a lot of the others available, who cares what they cost if they don't fit.

My options are:

1. To chop these up and re-fabricate from scratch, however I feel the flange on the base of the downpipe is off to begin with so even the parts aren't totally reusable. Also these were heat coated and will make fab a total pain in the butt and toxic to breath.

2. Gut the factory units and reinstall knowing fitment will be spot on. Worried about droning though from the empty chamber left behind, anyone else experience this?

3. Return these and buy a set from Active Autowerkes. More expensive but fitment 'should be' spot on like other components of theirs I own.

Thoughts from anyone? This needs to be back together literally days ago so time is not on my side. AA will overnight them to me if needed however and Rob there was very helpful

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
M4drift
Private
Rep

Can't send all the photos together so sending in spurts. Notice the flange alignment in these.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
M4drift
Private
Rep

Flex joint firmly pressed into block and hitting down below against trans as well. No way to force fit this, nor would I do that with a component anyways knowing it will fail in time from normal use. The mechanical engineer in me refuses to even consider that as an option even if it could be forced into place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I was able to get my vrsf ones done with some finessing... the drivers side gave me more headaches. I used two big prybars to pull/push at the same time and removed all of the heatshields... you don't need them anymore if you wrap them. I also got a ptp blanket and got rid of the top heat shield as well. I had bolts welded into the bottom flange to help them drop in to the exhaust brace lined up. Lastly, once you have the bottom bolted up almost tight, take the exhaust off the hangers again and that should give you some more space to move the downpipes around.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
M4drift
Private
Rep

Sounds like you faired better then I did and also like we have different model years. The exhaust on this year model isn't being held by the midpipes. It goes into a fixed flange that bolts to the transmission so there is ZERO wiggle room there. Also no other brand of downpipe that I have researched suggests or requires you to remove the heatshields bolted to the block, they are there for good reason and deflecting as much heat away from there as possible. The top side (firewall) is optional depending on manufacturer from what I have gathered and the top shield is a must.

Having to force the downpipe on with pry bars isn't reasonable to begin with as there is plenty of room on the other side of each pipe to have ample fabrication room when being mocked up. My drivers side took a small amount of finesse to get in place, which was reasonable, and that was it. The passenger isn't even close as you can see in the photos. That shot is taken with the downpipe pressed all the way up to the block.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4drift View Post
Sounds like you faired better then I did and also like we have different model years. The exhaust on this year model isn't being held by the midpipes. It goes into a fixed flange that bolts to the transmission so there is ZERO wiggle room there. Also no other brand of downpipe that I have researched suggests or requires you to remove the heatshields bolted to the block, they are there for good reason and deflecting as much heat away from there as possible. The top side (firewall) is optional depending on manufacturer from what I have gathered and the top shield is a must.

Having to force the downpipe on with pry bars isn't reasonable to begin with as there is plenty of room on the other side of each pipe to have ample fabrication room when being mocked up. My drivers side took a small amount of finesse to get in place, which was reasonable, and that was it. The passenger isn't even close as you can see in the photos. That shot is taken with the downpipe pressed all the way up to the block.
We have the same model year, mines just an X5M. I was using pry bars because it was just me doing this without a lift or any help. The fixed slip piece has bolts on it that go to the main pipes of the exhaust. Loosen those up and take the exhaust off the hangers.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
M4drift
Private
Rep

I don't think we are on the same page, the remainder of the exhaust is not attached nor affects fitment. I unbolted the cats and thus removed the two bolts from either side that connected it to the midpipes. The remainder of the exhaust was then dropped initially and has no direct correlation to the adjustment of the downpipes as that fixed section the downpipes bolt through and rest on is not adjustable.

I'm referring to item 11 in this picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
9vapors
Major
Rep

I'm referring to the same. So you loosen the slip joints, unhook the exhaust from the hangers. Then put the bottom of the down pipe studs or bolts through #11 with the exhaust gaskets. Put the copper nuts on hand tight. Now go to the turbo area and push the down pipe against the turbo with a new gasket in there too. Try to get a vband on it to hold it while you twist and push a bit. Once it's on the turbo side, then go under the car and tighten the rest of the exhaust and bottom of the downpipes up. It doesn't click together like LEGOs, but it should not be touching your trans or firewall once tightened down.
Here is the thread where I got some help. Might help you as well. Has the gaskets needed etc.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1537226
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
M4drift
Private
Rep

Thanks for your input and help but not even close to possible with the pipe I received. Literally pressed directly into the block and there is no way to finesse towards turbo beyond what the flex joint can accommodate and that's with literally crushing it into the block which is unacceptable regardless if it did fit. It shouldn't be this difficult to line up either as there is ample room towards the firewall, it boils down to bad fabrication. I have the ability to chop and refabricate on site but I think the base flange is off to begin with and I didn't buy these so I could make my own. Just luck of the draw with cheap chinese junk, glad you managed to get yours to fit. Did you tune it as well?

As for the VRSF the welds were ugly, even pinholes in some sections, fitment a joke, and customer service literally non-existent. Last purchase from them for any vehicle as a result.

Spoke to AA on the phone, they actually have a phone... and answer it, and they are overnighting me legit downpipes as I type. Paired that with their stage 2 tune as well. Cost more, but should be hassle free and proper fitment and I like that I can actually talk to someone if I have a question or any issue.

Will post pics of install to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input and help but not even close to possible with the pipe I received. Literally pressed directly into the block and there is no way to finesse towards turbo beyond what the flex joint can accommodate and that's with literally crushing it into the block which is unacceptable regardless if it did fit. It shouldn't be this difficult to line up either as there is ample room towards the firewall, it boils down to bad fabrication. I have the ability to chop and refabricate on site but I think the base flange is off to begin with and I didn't buy these so I could make my own. Just luck of the draw with cheap chinese junk, glad you managed to get yours to fit. Did you tune it as well?

As for the VRSF the welds were ugly, even pinholes in some sections, fitment a joke, and customer service literally non-existent. Last purchase from them for any vehicle as a result.

Spoke to AA on the phone, they actually have a phone... and answer it, and they are overnighting me legit downpipes as I type. Paired that with their stage 2 tune as well. Cost more, but should be hassle free and proper fitment and I like that I can actually talk to someone if I have a question or any issue.

Will post pics of install to compare.
Yeah, I tuned with the Velos tune and am extremely happy with it... it's a ton of fun to drive now, that's for sure! Hope your new ones fit well, I haven't heard anyone have issues with those! I was eying the ultimate racing ones before I got the VRSF ones, still might end up with them soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
M4drift
Private
Rep

How is exhaust smell with the Velos tune? Did you tune straight away or run with Dp's and no tune for comparison?

Not sure if they are leaning out Af's at idle and low speeds to thin some of that out. Worried it will be as bad as my m4 or worse which is windows up only at lights or slow speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
How is exhaust smell with the Velos tune? Did you tune straight away or run with Dp's and no tune for comparison?

Not sure if they are leaning out Af's at idle and low speeds to thin some of that out. Worried it will be as bad as my m4 or worse which is windows up only at lights or slow speeds.
I had it done right away, so I'm not too sure comparison wise. Vs stock downpipes, it's certainly noticeable. Like you said at lights and stop and go, you get it... especially if the windows are down. Still worth it for the power and sound. I knew what I was getting into when I did it, I've had a couple Subaru's that I did downpipes on, this being the strongest smelling though. I might need to revisit and re-tighten my downpipes...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #13
M4drift
Private
Rep

You may want to ask Velos if they will lean it out at idle and down low. Curious what the A/F's are at idle and below 1500 rpm.

I'm going to ask AA to do the same. I'm at 7200' above sea level so everything is running rich here to begin with. I have a MOTEC PLM so I'm going to check A/F's when I have a moment. May dyno before and after tune as well if I have time.
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      12-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #14
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Those VRSF DP's look like shit, sorry but its true.

AA FTW.

Also, another company that a few people have used here in the Middle-East is:

http://mikes-custom.ru/index.php/com...e70?Itemid=618

Perfect fitment and awesome quality and great guy to deal with. I'll be going with his Downpipes or AA depending on my mood....
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Golde4u
Rep
Drives: X6M

WOW, I was considering those but it looks like a headache. Thanks for sharing. Saved me money and time. It would have been nice if you posted a video to YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #16
M4drift
Private
Rep

AA fitment was spot on, literally took 30 seconds to drop each side in place. I have a video to upload but not sure if it needs to be hosted remotely due to size.

VRSF were awful and to this day they never responded to any of my requests for help or offered any type of solution. Literally the worst customer service imaginable.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
AA fitment was spot on, literally took 30 seconds to drop each side in place. I have a video to upload but not sure if it needs to be hosted remotely due to size.

VRSF were awful and to this day they never responded to any of my requests for help or offered any type of solution. Literally the worst customer service imaginable.
@Tiago@VRSF posts in the vendor's section every day. Have you tried reaching out to him on here? I wouldn't have high hopes as he never responded to my posts or PM's but it's something to try.

To have customer service this poor is just sad.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Quote:

@Tiago@VRSF posts in the vendor's section every day. Have you tried reaching out to him on here? I wouldn't have high hopes as he never responded to my posts or PM's but it's something to try.

To have customer service this poor is just sad.
True I'd be pissed, my welds were good, my figment was ok, my bottom flange was straight... seems like you really got a lemon set here and they should take care of that. I'm thinking to swap mine out just for peace of mind for some AA or Ultimate racing ones... at least I know if there ever is a problem, I can get an answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
M4drift
Private
Rep

The fact that you have to force the vrsf to even attempt to fit them is enough to steer clear. The AA literally drop into place with clearance to spare all around and no issues. More money, weren't coated, but fit well and I heat wrapped them for peace of mind. Welds were beautiful and the pieces were spot on fitment wise with ZERO effort or interference fit.

Never a response form VRSF, I'm done with that company.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
The fact that you have to force the vrsf to even attempt to fit them is enough to steer clear. The AA literally drop into place with clearance to spare all around and no issues. More money, weren't coated, but fit well and I heat wrapped them for peace of mind. Welds were beautiful and the pieces were spot on fitment wise with ZERO effort or interference fit.

I had no idea any went on without having to push them or force them into place... I revisited my install recently and I guess they finally seated right with the motor torquing and there was about an inch space that they became loose, I had a major exhaust leak and it was big enough that the bottom two gaskets fell out of the openings. Since the threads of the bolts were rubbing against the bottom bracket, it flattened them and in order to get the nuts on them, I had to re-thread them and while doing that, one of the welds broke. Became an all day thing and I had to buy a bunch of tools to fight with these yet again. Next on my list is some downpipes that fit right. Live and learn.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Quote:

I had no idea any went on without having to push them or force them into place... I revisited my install recently and I guess they finally seated right with the motor torquing and there was about an inch space that they became loose, I had a major exhaust leak and it was big enough that the bottom two gaskets fell out of the openings. Since the threads of the bolts were rubbing against the bottom bracket, it flattened them and in order to get the nuts on them, I had to re-thread them and while doing that, one of the welds broke. Became an all day thing and I had to buy a bunch of tools to fight with these yet again. Next on my list is some downpipes that fit right. Live and learn.
Try the ones I linked in previous posts.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      12-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:

They managed to find time to remove them from the site.

It seems like VRSF is a sketchy company. Crossing them off my list.
Appreciate 0