XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #67
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
maybe x-mas sale? I will ask them whether I should buy it now or wait a couple of weeks
Ultimately that would be your decision as the consumer

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #68
jph98
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5m

Very interested in buying this screen but I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the auto switching to 'aux-in' source when selecting Android?

This would be useful as it will allow me to continue to listen to music from one of the original vehicle audio sources (CD, HDD, Radio, Etc) whilst using the screen to display Google Maps (for example).

I realise that I won't get any audio from Google Maps unless I switch to Aux-In but I want the capability to choose rather than be forced to use Aux-in as soon as Android is connected.

Also I've seen it mentioned in a few threads that you don't always need to connect to the Aux-in connection in the centre console to get Android Audio, depending on vehicle and spec. Have any of the guys putting these into X5's found that they don't need to use the aux-in connection for audio?

Thanks
      12-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #69
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph98 View Post
Very interested in buying this screen but I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the auto switching to 'aux-in' source when selecting Android?

This would be useful as it will allow me to continue to listen to music from one of the original vehicle audio sources (CD, HDD, Radio, Etc) whilst using the screen to display Google Maps (for example).

I realise that I won't get any audio from Google Maps unless I switch to Aux-In but I want the capability to choose rather than be forced to use Aux-in as soon as Android is connected.

Also I've seen it mentioned in a few threads that you don't always need to connect to the Aux-in connection in the centre console to get Android Audio, depending on vehicle and spec. Have any of the guys putting these into X5's found that they don't need to use the aux-in connection for audio?

Thanks
First u don't need to switch auto-aux off to get sound for navigation, u will connect unit to
center speaker and will get u directions thru it, it will also put a volume down for u playing source!
Unless u switch to video, music etc., u original source will still be playing.

As far connecting AUX cable to center console u won't know until u try it! I've seen same configuration cars behaving differently!

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
jph980.00
      12-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #70
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Does avin have sales like this often? I really want one of these but I literally just bought my car Friday night. The mod account is a little empty at the moment haha
I was told this will last until the end of the year. As to when they'll have another sale is something you could probably ask them. There are units on eBay for within $20+ of their sale price, so you could also leverage that..."let me buy from you or I can take my money elsewhere" since it's clear AVIN isn't producing these things themselves, they're just middle men who add some tech support which you could probably get from us as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #71
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
As far as discounts go, yes this is the first I've seen discount on Avin myself! The regular price is about $550 and u can usually get about $35 off at any time, just ask, this is what I did back in October. So even if there is no big discount going on the difference in $25 won't kill u especially shipping is usually free
I got an E70 unit (GPS splitter as the only add-on) and an E61 (GPS splitter, backup camera and DVR as the add-ons) units, they charged me full price for all items, then refunded me the price of the GPS splitters a backup camera as part of our deal to make them free. Part of what prompted my earlier response about shipping locations is because I wanted to back out of buying their $150 single camera DVR after I found a $38 dual camera DVR on eBay. What I figured would happen actually happened on their next email reply..."aww, man...we already boxed it and shipped it. We could recall it from the shipper if you'd like to wait". I said I'd pass but asked for my tracking info if that's the case...didn't get tracking info for two days and that's when I discovered it's being shipped from HK vs CA. Once I get everything in hand, I'm gonna take pics of all the pieces, including the "free" GPS splitter and backup camera...I'm sure they're nothing more than $5 and $20 pieces that can be found online easily. It is what it is, now I just hope it works as expected.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #72
Sketro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2013 35i

Avin E70 2013 Experience thus far

I wanted to post my experience on installing the Avin unit on my beloved X5.

The good
  • The screen is awesome, resolution is great and the touch is flawless
  • Even the old bmw software looks better on it
  • No rattles and form fits into old screen spot perfectly
  • Improves car looks

The Bad
Firstly the provided wiring harness broke and the optical cables are now freely moving in and out. I emailed Avin for a new harness and awaiting reply. I was careful and the plastic seems brittle.

The sound on the E70 does not work with only the optical cables. I'm talking about the sound from the screen. The plug only fits in one way so no error i assume, but i basically could hear sound for 3 seconds after using the aux cable to the armrest after which the sound source automatically moved back to bluetooth for some reason. Also running a aux cable to the center console is pain in the ass.

The only way to get the usb cables into the glove box is through the existing usb connection, punching that out and using the hole to feed the wires. Unless someone else has managed to find another way ?

The units does not detect my phones hotspot (iPhone 6s)- so i guess i'll be buying a usb modem to have google maps working.

Forget about swapping the sd card once the screen is installed, i'm talking about the one on the side. you'd probably use the usb cables provided.

All in all if the sound can work without an aux the unit is pretty good but considering i like my music, i'll be bummed if the sounds does not get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #73
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is it safe to say that the factory AM/FM radiox CD/DVD player will work as normal through the iDrive, but any and all sound via the Android section (music, movies, apps running on the Android desktop, etc) are all fed into the via the aux input? Currently I connect my phone to the aux input and then stream Pandora, Waze, text/email/notification sounds, etc...so instead these sounds will be fed via the unit instead of my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #74
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
First u don't need to switch auto-aux off to get sound for navigation, u will connect unit to
center speaker and will get u directions thru it, it will also put a volume down for u playing source!
Unless u switch to video, music etc., u original source will still be playing.

As far connecting AUX cable to center console u won't know until u try it! I've seen same configuration cars behaving differently!

Good luck!
will the center speaker play the 'original car' music - even if it is connected via the AVIN unit? I saw some postings where there is center_in and center_out connections.. kind of fancy
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #75
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Is it safe to say that the factory AM/FM radiox CD/DVD player will work as normal through the iDrive, but any and all sound via the Android section (music, movies, apps running on the Android desktop, etc) are all fed into the via the aux input? Currently I connect my phone to the aux input and then stream Pandora, Waze, text/email/notification sounds, etc...so instead these sounds will be fed via the unit instead of my phone.
+1

I won't be utilizing the Avin unit as much as most probably are, I feel the factory sound quality and etc. are pretty good. I just want a more upgraded look interior wise and what not

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #76
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post

The good
  • Improves car looks

The Bad
Firstly the provided wiring harness broke and the optical cables are now freely moving in and out. I emailed Avin for a new harness and awaiting reply. I was careful and the plastic seems brittle.

The sound on the E70 does not work with only the optical cables. I'm talking about the sound from the screen. The plug only fits in one way so no error i assume, but i basically could hear sound for 3 seconds after using the aux cable to the armrest after which the sound source automatically moved back to bluetooth for some reason. Also running a aux cable to the center console is pain in the ass.

The only way to get the usb cables into the glove box is through the existing usb connection, punching that out and using the hole to feed the wires. Unless someone else has managed to find another way ?

The units does not detect my phones hotspot (iPhone 6s)- so i guess i'll be buying a usb modem to have google maps working.

Forget about swapping the sd card once the screen is installed, i'm talking about the one on the side. you'd probably use the usb cables provided.

All in all if the sound can work without an aux the unit is pretty good but considering i like my music, i'll be bummed if the sounds does not get fixed.
Sucks about the wiring harness breaking, sounds pretty fragile if I do say so myself. I'll know by the end of the week on when my unit arrives but thanks for the feedback for all of us to be on the look out for things as such as this

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #77
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
will the center speaker play the 'original car' music - even if it is connected via the AVIN unit? I saw some postings where there is center_in and center_out connections.. kind of fancy
I don't believe so, center speaker is used mostly for voice and notifications. I've seen some posts where ppl were able to route something to center speaker so it plays music etc., but the quality of that sound (I wouldn't do it!)

You will get separate cables specifically to connect to center speaker (marked, u won't miss it) and its pretty simple plug and play connection!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #78
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post

The good
  • Improves car looks

The Bad

congrats on the install! looks like you enjoying at least the screen

I also have iPhone 6s and didn't have such issues with Personal Hot Spot, I did switch to USB WiFi modem after about a week of owning the unit and I like it much better this way!

Sorry about your wiring harness (again didn't run in to this issue) actually I found the harness pretty well made!

I ran my USB cables temporarily under the glove box (I didn't want to make any extra holes in glove box or taking original USB out of its place).
I bought USB and AUX extension cables and will be running and installing them in to center console when the weather permits!

I'm not sure I exactly understand issues you having after connecting the AUX cable?

All in all its an learning experience...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #79
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe so, center speaker is used mostly for voice and notifications. I've seen some posts where ppl were able to route something to center speaker so it plays music etc., but the quality of that sound (I wouldn't do it!)

You will get separate cables specifically to connect to center speaker (marked, u won't miss it) and its pretty simple plug and play connection!
ok, then it is even better.. i guess I will see the details when I get the unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #80
jph98
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5m

I'm about to place an order for one of these (and thanks to everyone offering good advice in this thread) but it looks like the GPS splitter is out of stock and will be back-ordered.

I don't want to delay shipment of the screen as i'm in the UK and am hoping to install over the Christmas holiday - Does anyone has the details of the GPS splitter that Avin sell? Could I just use an alternative GPS splitter as i'm guessing these things are fairly generic?

Thanks in advance
      12-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #81
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm about to place an order for one of these (and thanks to everyone offering good advice in this thread) but it looks like the GPS splitter is out of stock and will be back-ordered.

I don't want to delay shipment of the screen as i'm in the UK and am hoping to install over the Christmas holiday - Does anyone has the details of the GPS splitter that Avin sell? Could I just use an alternative GPS splitter as i'm guessing these things are fairly generic?

Thanks in advance
when I placed my order they didn't offer splitters as well as many other things, they didn't even know about them

anyway I ordered my on eBay name of the seller: Im4871n for $10 flat with free shipping.

It's coming from China and I can't guaranty that it will arrive in time for Christmas/New Years but in any case it's a cheaper price then what Avin sells it for.
Appreciate 1
jph980.00
      12-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #82
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70'11 View Post
+1

I won't be utilizing the Avin unit as much as most probably are, I feel the factory sound quality and etc. are pretty good. I just want a more upgraded look interior wise and what not
Assuming I have unlimited tethering and can find an app that'll turn tethering on and off via the phone seeing it's plugged into power, I'll be using the screen just like my phone. If not, then I'll just mirror my screen and being an Android phone, I can control my phone via the new deck, so it's going to work out either way. I agree though, I've posted my new mod on local Facebook forums and people have chimed in having spent no less than $800 just add mirroring and backup camera to their CCC units to spending, $1200 to upgrade to CIC and upwards of $3k for a full NBT swap...at the end of the day, $480 is a steal even if it means I'm pushing a few extra buttons vs "factory integration" but I'm also getting sooo much more for 1/6th the price.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      12-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #83
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance
My units come tomorrow and I'll take pics of the stereos, GPS splitters, etc and you'll be able to see what the GPS splitter looks like. I'm sure it's something simple like Boneca mentioned where it's some generic $10 part. AVIN may be a seller for these things but I'm fairly certain there's absolutely nothing proprietary about these units and accessories from them that couldn't be bought elsewhere...for possibly even less. I've given credit where credit is due though, they're got the best prices I've found online, minus Alibaba which I've never used and don't know if I can trust yet.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #84
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

what about AVIN front DVR dashcam? I like the oem look. maybe it is a good time to install it along with the AVIN module.. or I can just buy it elsewhere and simply connect to AVIN module? anyone tried it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 09:49 PM   #85
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I asked the same on post #47. AVIN's DVR is nothing more than a USB camera. I was going to get this one -https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/152712898105? or this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/FHD-1080P-H...kAAOSwry1aAOhi but I'd already put in my order, so that's where post #71 came into play, meaning now I'm stuck using AVIN's. I'll likely buy the eBay one anyways because I don't like that AVIN's is a front facing only vs being a dual camera like I'd prefer.

Looking closely at the AVIN DVR https://avinusa.com/bmw-oem-style-dv...9-e53-e38.html, it looks similar to eBay type cameras...generic with two button operation and an SD card slot - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Y61-WIFI-Ca...0AAOSwB4BaIG8F. About the only difference I can tell that makes the AVIN unit unique is that it appears like it may replace the plastic assembly around the rearview mirrow where it mounts to the window, but seeing as the GF's E61 has rain sensing wiper, I get the feeling the AVIN unit will be useless to me :/ I've just sent an email asking for confirmation. I've already had to point out that some of the years of vehicle applicability they had listed was wrong going from CCC to CIC, he admitted that their E39/E53 unit showed outdated information and now I think they'll be adding an asterisk onto their website that their fancier DVR won't work on rain-sensing wiper equipped cars.

Last edited by m5james; 12-12-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #86
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I asked the same on post #47. AVIN's DVR is nothing more than a USB camera. I was going to get this one -https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/152712898105? or this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/FHD-1080P-H...kAAOSwry1aAOhi but I'd already put in my order, so that's where post #71 came into play, meaning now I'm stuck using AVIN's. I'll likely buy the eBay one anyways because I don't like that AVIN's is a front facing only vs being a dual camera like I'd prefer.

Looking closely at the AVIN DVR https://avinusa.com/bmw-oem-style-dv...9-e53-e38.html, it looks similar to eBay type cameras...generic with two button operation and an SD card slot - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Y61-WIFI-Ca...0AAOSwB4BaIG8F. About the only difference I can tell that makes the AVIN unit unique is that it appears like it may replace the plastic assembly around the rearview mirrow where it mounts to the window, but seeing as the GF's E61 has rain sensing wiper, I get the feeling the AVIN unit will be useless to me :/ I've just sent an email asking for confirmation. I've already had to point out that some of the years of vehicle applicability they had listed was wrong going from CCC to CIC, he admitted that their E39/E53 unit showed outdated information and now I think they'll be adding an asterisk onto their website that their fancier DVR won't work on rain-sensing wiper equipped cars.
that is interesting... I do like the OEM look of their camera and I don't want dual one. I was also hoping their cam would not require any wiring, just plug and play vs one from ebay. But probably the connectors are the same on every DVI dash cam.. The rain sensor is a big deal but could there be a chance it will still work without affecting the functionality of the rain sensor? I guess I can start with ebay version (i liked the second one you posted) and if any problems the loss is minimal. too bad there is no information about their dash cam - only few low res pictures

just found searching other forums:
"..It is not possible to block the rain sensor from INSIDE the car..."

Last edited by gsnake; 12-12-2017 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #87
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'll know more tomorrow when mine comes and I start looking closer at things. AVIN's DVR doesn't look plug and play in that there's a wire harness that has red, black, yellow and a USB connection vs the eBay one only appears to have USB and a power wire. If the AVIN unit is intended to replace a factory rearview mirror surround, with the assumption that the vehicle doesn't have rain sensing wipers, then that's a huge asterisk they need to add onto their options list for those with the sensor as deleting it (I can't see why anyone would want to) requires coding out the sensor, otherwise simple things like intermittent wipers stop functioning all together when the sensor isn't there. I'm sure they keep their information minimal for comparison reasons...people won't pay $150 if they think it's exclusive to them vs giving lots of info so people can look elsewhere for cheaper options. I figured out the DVR was just a USB device after looking at the same stereos on eBay and seeing their connections layouts. I still chose AVIN only because they had better prices for the same stereo.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #88
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'll know more tomorrow when mine comes and I start looking closer at things. AVIN's DVR doesn't look plug and play in that there's a wire harness that has red, black, yellow and a USB connection vs the eBay one only appears to have USB and a power wire. If the AVIN unit is intended to replace a factory rearview mirror surround, with the assumption that the vehicle doesn't have rain sensing wipers, then that's a huge asterisk they need to add onto their options list for those with the sensor as deleting it (I can't see why anyone would want to) requires coding out the sensor, otherwise simple things like intermittent wipers stop functioning all together when the sensor isn't there. I'm sure they keep their information minimal for comparison reasons...people won't pay $150 if they think it's exclusive to them vs giving lots of info so people can look elsewhere for cheaper options. I figured out the DVR was just a USB device after looking at the same stereos on eBay and seeing their connections layouts. I still chose AVIN only because they had better prices for the same stereo.
could you post some pictures when you get it? and hopefully there is a manual that comes with it. I believe they knew about the rain sensor and made the case correctly.. but let's see.
Appreciate 0