XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Avinusa Upgrade Screen (Feedback/Questions)

Okay so recently I've been seeing some people in other forums purchase the Avinusa monitor 10.25 screen. Basically it's the more affordable option verse the NBT retrofit for our vehicles. Question I am seeking is, what's the quality behind this unit? That's from connection of OEM functionalities e.g. back-up camera, blue-tooth connectivity, steering wheel functions, GPS and etc.

If you do have this unit, do you enjoy it? Any cons about this particular unit because so far I haven't seen any.

Thanks!

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E70'11 View Post
Okay so recently I've been seeing some people in other forums purchase the Avinusa monitor 10.25 screen. Basically it's the more affordable option verse the NBT retrofit for our vehicles. Question I am seeking is, what's the quality behind this unit? That's from connection of OEM functionalities e.g. back-up camera, blue-tooth connectivity, steering wheel functions, GPS and etc.

If you do have this unit, do you enjoy it? Any cons about this particular unit because so far I haven't seen any.

Thanks!
It sounds strange to me that you couldn't find feed back for this system if you looked around, there are plenty, anyway I'm probably one of the first at least on Xbimmers who bought it and installed it.

my thoughts:

1. I love it
2. Screen is great and very high quality, much better than E70 OEM screen (in my opinion)
as u know this is touch screen and new forward location makes it easy to use it as touch screen!
- u will need to remove the original screen in order to install new screen and no there gonna be no gap behind the screen as it was designed specifically for e70 with special plastic plate behind it!
3. It looks like it belongs!
4. This system isn't NBT as it doesn't provide NBT functionalities! What it is a Android "tablet" built in to great monitor.
- u original system CCC/CIC won't go anywhere it will still be present and will remain as your main system. All of the present functions still be available: backup camera, Bluetooth etc.
- u gonna get ability to switch to Android system where you gonna be welcomed by NBT interface (new or old) actually there are 3 to choose from at the moment. You will be able to use any apps that available on Android today (any navigation apps for example)!
- it has its own interface to play music, videos etc.,
- it comes with its own GPS antenna and USB cables to connect anything u want to connect!
- u can use OEM backup camera or you can add another one
- u can connect front camera as well

there are many more features but I'm sure u can read about it on Avin

There are some issues as well, depends on u car configuration you might need to connect AUX cable to center console outlet in order to get sound out of Android unit, some configuration doesn't require that but u really won't know until u try it!
the Bluetooth integration not that great as it interferes with OEM Bluetooth, for example for phone calls, mostly because Android's microphone is junk, most ppl ended up disconnecting Android's Bluetooth!

There are more "issues" I can think of but this post is getting long!

If you looking for advice I would suggest get uself and upgrade but don't make a mistake that's not a true NBT!

If u have particular question let me know and I'll try to answer!

Appreciate 4
      12-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Any more input on the Bluetooth problems? I'm looking at getting one of these down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Any more input on the Bluetooth problems? I'm looking at getting one of these down the road.
there are no issues with OEM Bluetooth, it works the same!
Appreciate 1
ericliuhc324.00
      12-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

It's an awesome upgrade - The bigger/higher res screen is the tip of the iceberg. Having an android in dash opens up a whole world of possibilities.

For ex, I have a torqbyte controller will be installing for meth and a mosconi dsp for audio processing which both have android apps for configuration / monitoring. Another thing I use the android side for is home automation apps such as lutron/smarthings to control lights/check status @ the house while I'm on the road or want to flip a scene on when I am driving up.

Currently exploring options for torque app / dash command dde parameter viewing

All stock functions remain working properly. Top view / front corner camera's/ back up cam worked as normal after install. Camera / PDC buttons still go directly to original idrive screens

The build quality of the screen was better than I was expecting.Was surprised to find out that the brushed outer trim is actual brushed aluminum and not plastic.

Only thing that bums me out about it is the "DVR" in interface. Almost 2018 and we only get video rca input, really?! An HDMI input would be much appreciated!

Overall, pretty innovative piece of kit!

Last edited by Deftronix; 12-04-2017 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
GWOCwinston
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 35i - E46 M3 - F30 330E

I think im gonna buy this. Installed looked straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Any issues streaming music through the unit? I have a 2010 so I only have Bluetooth for the phone through the oem system.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Anyone know if it retains satellite radio functionality? or would i have to have it play on an app?

I have a 2013 X5M so that would be CIC system. Does the unit use the Built in Bluetooth for both streaming and phone calls?

Hows the sound quality? I have the Premium sound in my truck.

This unit looks pretty good but I have SOO many questions. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOCwinston View Post
I think im gonna buy this. Installed looked straight forward.
defiantly DIY, install is pretty straight forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
Any issues streaming music through the unit? I have a 2010 so I only have Bluetooth for the phone through the oem system.
Any streaming you do today thru u multimedia won't change, as far as Avin goes technically you will be able to stream thru it too but as I mentioned I would suggest disabling Avin's BT for the time being (while the better update comes out), you can connect flash drive to the Avin's USB so you can have your multimedia contests that way or you can simply use Android app if you using specific app for streaming
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
Anyone know if it retains satellite radio functionality? or would i have to have it play on an app?

I have a 2013 X5M so that would be CIC system. Does the unit use the Built in Bluetooth for both streaming and phone calls?

Hows the sound quality? I have the Premium sound in my truck.

This unit looks pretty good but I have SOO many questions. Thanks in advance!
All your questions were pretty much answered already!

for the sound quality, its the same if not better due to more audio settings available in the Android unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
It sounds strange to me that you couldn't find feed back for this system if you looked around, there are plenty, anyway I'm probably one of the first at least on Xbimmers who bought it and installed it.

my thoughts:

1. I love it
2. Screen is great and very high quality, much better than E70 OEM screen (in my opinion)
as u know this is touch screen and new forward location makes it easy to use it as touch screen!
- u will need to remove the original screen in order to install new screen and no there gonna be no gap behind the screen as it was designed specifically for e70 with special plastic plate behind it!
3. It looks like it belongs!
4. This system isn't NBT as it doesn't provide NBT functionalities! What it is a Android "tablet" built in to great monitor.
- u original system CCC/CIC won't go anywhere it will still be present and will remain as your main system. All of the present functions still be available: backup camera, Bluetooth etc.
- u gonna get ability to switch to Android system where you gonna be welcomed by NBT interface (new or old) actually there are 3 to choose from at the moment. You will be able to use any apps that available on Android today (any navigation apps for example)!
- it has its own interface to play music, videos etc.,
- it comes with its own GPS antenna and USB cables to connect anything u want to connect!
- u can use OEM backup camera or you can add another one
- u can connect front camera as well

there are many more features but I'm sure u can read about it on Avin

There are some issues as well, depends on u car configuration you might need to connect AUX cable to center console outlet in order to get sound out of Android unit, some configuration doesn't require that but u really won't know until u try it!
the Bluetooth integration not that great as it interferes with OEM Bluetooth, for example for phone calls, mostly because Android's microphone is junk, most ppl ended up disconnecting Android's Bluetooth!

There are more "issues" I can think of but this post is getting long!

If you looking for advice I would suggest get uself and upgrade but don't make a mistake that's not a true NBT!

If u have particular question let me know and I'll try to answer!

Yeah I'm not sure why nothing was popping up unless it was purely me not specifying the search as I should normally. Anyway, thanks for the in depth review/feedback regarding this particular unit. I did read up a lot on the Avinusa website as well to get more of an understanding. I believe someone asked this above, XM radio functions would work with this unit as well wouldn't it? Since a lot of the plug n play from the OEM seem to have it's availability slot in this Android tablet

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E70'11 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why nothing was popping up unless it was purely me not specifying the search as I should normally. Anyway, thanks for the in depth review/feedback regarding this particular unit. I did read up a lot on the Avinusa website as well to get more of an understanding. I believe someone asked this above, XM radio functions would work with this unit as well wouldn't it? Since a lot of the plug n play from the OEM seem to have it's availability slot in this Android tablet
As far as XM radio functions: I want to mention ones again, you won't loose anything you currently have, your XM will work the same with you current system after you install Avin. If you looking to run XM radio thru Avin unit you probably will need to look in to some app that will let you do it but really there is no reason to do it.
It's kinda the same with radio, even tho never versions of the firmware for Avin has Radio interface it doesn't really do anything just yet, so you still use your OEM radio (I hope this is clear).
The good thing about this system that new options coming out pretty much monthly, the developers still working on this unit (fixing, adding, modifying) so support generally pretty good!
I have been in touch with Tommy from Avin who have been pretty helpful when I had my set of issues at the beginning...
Appreciate 1
Sabs1815120.50
      12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as XM radio functions: I want to mention ones again, you won't loose anything you currently have, your XM will work the same with you current system after you install Avin. If you looking to run XM radio thru Avin unit you probably will need to look in to some app that will let you do it but really there is no reason to do it.
It's kinda the same with radio, even tho never versions of the firmware for Avin has Radio interface it doesn't really do anything just yet, so you still use your OEM radio (I hope this is clear).
The good thing about this system that new options coming out pretty much monthly, the developers still working on this unit (fixing, adding, modifying) so support generally pretty good!
I have been in touch with Tommy from Avin who have been pretty helpful when I had my set of issues at the beginning...
Good deal and thanks for the clarity

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
All your questions were pretty much answered already!

for the sound quality, its the same if not better due to more audio settings available in the Android unit.
Thanks!

Reason for my sound quality question is I've had some real bad luck with these android head units in my e46 days. Had the Eonon unit (both win CE and droid)... that sucked, had the Dynavin unit... that sucked too. The premium system in the X5M is solid system atleast i like it and I would hate to ruin that with an aftermarket head unit. But I guess this differs seeing as it works in tangent with the CIC unit
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
Thanks!

Reason for my sound quality question is I've had some real bad luck with these android head units in my e46 days. Had the Eonon unit (both win CE and droid)... that sucked, had the Dynavin unit... that sucked too. The premium system in the X5M is solid system atleast i like it and I would hate to ruin that with an aftermarket head unit. But I guess this differs seeing as it works in tangent with the CIC unit
I hear you! I know many ppl experiencing pretty bad sound quality while connecting thru center console AUX, so this might be a concern! Again some ppl do and some don't, as I mentioned earlier some systems will allow you to have audio without AUX connected and some don't.
What I know for sure that whatever sound you have today thru your main unit will be with you still, so there is always another option.
You not really completely replacing your multimedia with all its settings and functions but rather adding Android layer on the top that also comes with beautiful screen!
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      12-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

At the moment I currently connect to the factory Bluetooth for phone calls, then I've got a Bluetooth dongle connected to the aux input for streaming music since my 2010 doesn't have the option for music streaming from the factory. Are you saying that since the Android units microphone and Bluetooth connectivity overall suck, that I'd just continue connecting the same way? I'm fine with that, I just want clarification.

I've got an Erisin 7835A in my Harley F150 which is a Windows CE and Android based stereo with a removable faceplate that is a 7" tablet...CE does things like the radio, Bluetooth, CD/DVD player, etc and then I can go into Android mode and it's a fully operating Android OS. In order for me to use things like Waze, Pandora, etc through the tablet, I need to turn on my tethering...which I usually never do since its just easier to run everything from my phone through Bluetooth and just listen to music and traffic instructions. One thing I've always wished is that there was a way to make the tablet always be able to have it's own internet connection so that I could use the tablet to control music, watch Waze on the dashboard, etc and not have to touch my phone. I've seen but don't know what 3G/4G dongles are. Do they require their own service plan, do they emulate my phone so I don't need to tether to the tablet? I enjoy having an Android based stereo, but it's not a standalone unit without having it's own signal in order to run standalone vs needing to be tethered. How do you operate yours?

My current routine once I get into the X5M is:

Connect my phones Bluetooth to the phone and the Bluetooth dongle (if they both didn't pair on their own), start playing music, start Waze and enter my destination, set my phone in front of the stock navigation screen on landscape and then start driving. I'd love a stereo where I can skip ALL of this connection/pairing stuff and I could operate the Android portion of the stereo just like it's factory...I don't touch my phone at all, I just start the truck, start playing music, start Waze and start driving...all through the dashboard. In short, how can I have the Android unit connected to the internet at all times or do you go through a similar Bluetooth pairing and/or tethering routine every time?

I tried searching for Avin and somehow got onto an eBay page for a similar looking unit that was $500...are these two the same thing, just different names? Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182926917892
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 12-05-2017 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
At the moment I currently connect to the factory Bluetooth for phone calls, then I've got a Bluetooth dongle connected to the aux input for streaming music since my 2010 doesn't have the option for music streaming from the factory. Are you saying that since the Android units microphone and Bluetooth connectivity overall suck, that I'd just continue connecting the same way? I'm fine with that, I just wasn't clarification.

I've got an Erisin 7835A in my Harley F150 which is a Windows CE and Android based stereo with a removable faceplate that is a 7" tablet...CE does things like the radio, Bluetooth, CD/DVD player, etc and then I can go into Android mode and it's a fully operating Android OS. In order for me to use things like Waze, Pandora, etc through the tablet, I need to turn on my tethering...which I usually never do since its just easier to run everything from my phone through Bluetooth and just listen to music and traffic instructions. One thing I've always wished is that there was a way to make the tablet always be able to have it's own internet connection so that I could use the tablet to control music, watch Waze on the dashboard, etc and not have to touch my phone. I've seen but don't know what 3G/4G dongles are. Do they require their own service plan, do they emulate my phone so I don't need to tether to the tablet? I enjoy having an Android based stereo, but it's not a standalone unit without having it's own signal in order to run standalone vs needing to be tethered. How do you operate yours?

My current routine once I get into the car is:

Connect my phones Bluetooth to the X5M's phone and the Bluetooth dongle I added in myself (if they both didn't pair on their own), start playing music, start Waze and enter my destination, set my phone in front of the stock navigation screen on landscape and then start driving. I'd love a stereo where I can skip ALL of this connection/pairing stuff and I could operate the Android portion of the stereo just like it's factory...I don't touch my phone at all, I just start the truck, start playing music, start Waze and start driving...all through the dashboard. In short, how can I have the Android unit connected to the internet at all times or do you go through a similar Bluetooth pairing and/or tethering routine every time?

I tried searching for Avin and somehow got onto an eBay page for a similar looking unit that was $500...are these two the same thing, just different names? Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182926917892
Your phone will connect to your car's Bluetooth the same way. If I understand correctly u streaming music from u phone to the car's multimedia thru Bluetooth usb stick. You can still do that the same way or you can put your music on the regular usb stick and connect it directly to the Avin.

As far as connecting to internet, originally I used my phone's personal hot spot to connect to the internet, the little issue with that you have to re enable this option on the phone all the time, every time u'll get to the car.

I ended up buying WiFi usb modem from Amazon for $40 put it on my AT&T plan for $20 extra a month but now every time I turn on my car I'm pretty much on the internet right away.
So no more reaching for my phone etc.,
I know there are other options such as FreedomPop where you can get independent sim etc., in my case I found it easer just to add it to my existing account.

I hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, I currently have a Bluetooth dongle inside the armrest (added pics to above post) that then connects via a standard 3.5mm cord to the aux input jack...was only like $3 on eBay and works perfectly. I have no desire to put music onto a USB stick to play MP3's when I've got MP3's downloaded on my phone for no service type situations while on a roadtrip.

Yeah, I've got to do the same thing in my Harley then...turn on the phones hotspot, then usually the tablet will see the WiFi and automatically connect. At a certain point though, it's still just easier and quicker to let everything run through my phone and just Bluetooth the sound to the stereo. The X5M's screen being a far more integral part of the vehicle, it'd likely end up wanting to control everything through the screen since this stereo will prevent me from being able to prop my phone onto the dash like I currently do.

Is that extra $20 per month give you 4G speeds? I'll have to look into FreedomPop, I've never heard of it but I'm guessing it's something we'd still have to pay for or is that kinda of like what I mentioned before where we trick the stereo into thinking it's a phone, via a SIM in this case? I'm cheap as hell sometimes, so I may be more tolerant of having to turn on tethering (manually or via triggering apps that will turn it on automatically once connected to a power source) vs paying an extra $240 a year to have internet directly in the car. More often than not I'm already streaming music within the house, then I head to the garage and just pair up to the car instead. I've got unlimited data on my phone, but I'm not sure if I've got unlimited tethering, so I'd have to weight the pricing options of unlimited tethering vs going your route and adding a line kind of thing.

Internet aside, people have paid upwards of $3k for a larger screen like the NBT upgrade, so this is still a steal at $500...I may do it for that reason alone because it'll be a nice upgrade overall. I've coded the car to play DVD in Motion and the angle of the stock screen sucks for when the kids wanna watch movies, so this'll benefit them as well.

Last edited by m5james; 12-05-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, I currently have a Bluetooth dongle inside the armrest that then connects via a standard 3.5mm cord to the aux input jack...was only like $3 on eBay and works perfectly. I have no desire to put music onto a USB stick to play MP3's when I've got MP3's downloaded on my phone for no service type situations while on a roadtrip.

Yeah, I've got to do the same thing in my Harley then...turn on the phones hotspot, then usually the tablet will see the WiFi and automatically connect. At a certain point though, it's still just easier and quicker to let everything run through my phone and just Bluetooth the sound to the stereo. The X5M's screen being a far more integral part of the vehicle, it'd likely end up wanting to control everything through the screen since this stereo will prevent me from being able to prop my phone onto the dash like I currently do.

Is that extra $20 per month give you 4G speeds? I'll have to look into FreedomPop, I've never heard of it but I'm guessing it's something we'd still have to pay for or is that kinda of like what I mentioned before where we trick the stereo into thinking it's out phone, via a SIM in this case? I'm cheap as hell sometimes, so I may be more tolerant of having to turn on tethering vs paying an extra $240 a year to have internet directly in the car. More often than not I'm already streaming music within the house, then I head to the garage and just pair up to the car instead.

Internet aside, people have paid upwards of $3k for a larger screen like the NBT upgrade, so this is still a steal at $500...I may do it for that reason alone because it'll be a nice upgrade overall. I've coded the car to play DVD in Motion and the angle of the stock screen sucks for when the kids wanna watch movies, so this'll benefit them as well.
sounds like u have it pretty much figured out!

as far as internet speed I haven't really checked it but I can tell u it's not any slower then when I used my phone's connection. so it's gotta be at least 4G where my phone on LTE but whatever speed it is it's enough for anything I want to do with Android (navigation, apps, browsing etc.) no lugs seen.

FreedomPop is independent cell company out of San Francisco, I found out about them when I was searching same topic. You can get a sim from them for less and have a dedicated data as well, so u not sharing u main's account bandwidth!

I agree on all u thoughts about the screen, kids will def love it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just found a handful of videos while trying to find the same stereo for the GF's E61

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=e70+android

Between all these YouTube videos, it's looking like these are all generic units coming from China and that AVIN, YOKOTRON, eBay stores are just resellers...now I'm on the hunt for the lowest price :-)

Last edited by m5james; 12-05-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #21
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Just found a handful of videos while trying to find the same stereo for the GF's E61

Between all these YouTube videos, it's looking like these are all generic units coming from China and that AVIN, YOKOTRON, eBay stores are just resellers...now I'm on the hunt for the lowest price :-)
yes good find, I've seen most of them, it's pretty good source to have a better idea how it will look like!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #22
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

just saw u edit about cheapest price!

I have no connections with Avin but I would suggest to order locally in case u have issues that u need to resolve and get in touch with somebody (it's also applies for regular updates (firmware)). I have experience!

Not to mention you will wait for unit from China between 2-4 weeks.
If u do decide to go with unit from China, I would look in to carparts or yokotron stores.

The units looks the same but not all of them have the same software!
Appreciate 0