XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #45
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

so I guess a cam chain or tensioner or something along those lines let loose? Not a rod. So this is good news.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #46
Birdoprey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
so I guess a cam chain or tensioner or something along those lines let loose? Not a rod. So this is good news.
That is what i gather from his message he left me. Hope that is it.
Do timing chains and/or tensioners typically not last long on these motors?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #47
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
Quote:
That is what i gather from his message he left me. Hope that is it.
Do timing chains and/or tensioners typically not last long on these motors?
Well I've heard of timing chain issues on the v8 but it sounded way different than any timing chain failure I've heard before, they usually sound really fast vs your engine sound but hey you learn stuff every day.

Hope that was it. I'd ask them to give you a VERY detailed breakdown of everything that was done and ask them to take pics of the engine while they tear it apart. Take note of how clean things are. Usually a motor that wasn't regularly maintained will have darker color vs one that was. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #48
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Update:

Spoke with BMW today. It seems that they are not sure what the issue is and they have come up with an estimate to remove the valve covers and oil pan so they can physically seek/find the issue. They have just submitted the $3200 estimate to the ins company. So, as of right now, we really don't know anything other than the motor is making a noise. They "think" the issue is in the timing chain area but are not sure.
Hurry up and wait....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #49
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Update:

Spoke with BMW today. It seems that they are not sure what the issue is and they have come up with an estimate to remove the valve covers and oil pan so they can physically seek/find the issue. They have just submitted the $3200 estimate to the ins company. So, as of right now, we really don't know anything other than the motor is making a noise. They "think" the issue is in the timing chain area but are not sure.
Hurry up and wait....
They give you a loaner? What is your deductible? They should definitely fix this under warranty. Hope you hear more soon.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #50
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
They give you a loaner? What is your deductible? They should definitely fix this under warranty. Hope you hear more soon.
Warranty is through Autonation Ford(the dealer i bought it from), not through BMW. No deductible. They should fix it, but i'm wondering if the cost is too much they may want to do something else? I dunno.
No loaner. I live 350miles from them. They did say i could go to my nearest Enterprise car rental(50 miles away), and rent a car myself and save the receipt and they would reimburse me....

Last edited by Birdoprey; 07-18-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #51
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Warranty is through Automation Ford(the dealer i bought it from), not through BMW. No deductible. They should fix it, but i'm wondering if the cost is too much they may want to do something else? I dunno.
No loaner. I live 350miles from them. They did say i could go to my nearest Enterprise car rental(50 miles away), and rent a car myself and save the receipt and they would reimburse me....
Gotcha, so it all might be for nothing if they decide to just buy it back. I think I'd get the rental car since you'll be out of transportation for at least another couple of weeks.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #52
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Warranty is through Automation Ford(the dealer i bought it from), not through BMW. No deductible. They should fix it, but i'm wondering if the cost is too much they may want to do something else? I dunno.
Shouldn't matter where you bought it !

If BMW is doing the work they should give you a loaner! At least that's what every BMW dealer I've ever come across has done.

Anyhow, I'd still think it's possible it could be a rod knock but interested to hear what they come up with. Another thing is they probably know what it is but use this as a tactic to bleed all the money possible out of the fix! Sorry I'm just a sceptic and been kind of ruined because My dealer I used to work for did this tactic for a while till shit rained down on them and they quickly removed a select amount of individuals for making that a common practice. Thought it was funny they never knew anything ! Mechanics are trained professionals that should know their way around any car. But alas I'm just being negative.... sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #53
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

If BMW is doing the work they should give you a loaner! At least that's what every BMW dealer I've ever come across has done.

Anyhow, I'd still think it's possible it could be a rod knock but interested to hear what they come up with. Another thing is they probably know what it is but use this as a tactic to bleed all the money possible out of the fix! Sorry I'm just a sceptic and been kind of ruined because My dealer I used to work for did this tactic for a while till shit rained down on them and they quickly removed a select amount of individuals for making that a common practice. Thought it was funny they never knew anything ! Mechanics are trained professionals that should know their way around any car. But alas I'm just being negative.... sorry.
I'm very leery of the same thing, having work as a mechanic many years ago. Though i've been surprised in the past, i would have to see proof that there is not a rod issue. I'm thinking rod AND something else.
I never thought to ask BMW about a loaner. Probably a little late now. I'd have to drive 350 miles to pick it up...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #54
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:

So they would charge to look then charge full labor to fix after the fact? I've always had the dealer drop the "exploratory labor" and just charge the base price to fix once they figure it out. The exploratory labor was only ever charged if you said "never mind, I'll get it fixed else where."

I've only ever gotten a loaner if the car was CPO from the dealer I bought it at. All the other cars I've taken in, even under CPO warranty, they say they can't offer me a loaner. Maybe a crappy SA thing, or a customer loyalty thing.

I thought they weren't all trained mechanics? Isn't it usually just one or two legit mechanics supervising and then a bunch of trainees flipping through the repair manual? I've seen that at a few locations and thought it was normal...like a doctor's office filled with nurses and the doctor comes around to see you for 5 minutes then moves on to the next patient.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #55
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So they would charge to look then charge full labor to fix after the fact? I've always had the dealer drop the "exploratory labor" and just charge the base price to fix once they figure it out. The exploratory labor was only ever charged if you said "never mind, I'll get it fixed else where."

I've only ever gotten a loaner if the car was CPO from the dealer I bought it at. All the other cars I've taken in, even under CPO warranty, they say they can't offer me a loaner. Maybe a crappy SA thing, or a customer loyalty thing.

I thought they weren't all trained mechanics? Isn't it usually just one or two legit mechanics supervising and then a bunch of trainees flipping through the repair manual? I've seen that at a few locations and thought it was normal...like a doctor's office filled with nurses and the doctor comes around to see you for 5 minutes then moves on to the next patient.
Lol seems that way nowadays just a bunch of part swapers!

They are supposed to go to school and a good one at that to work at BMW. I know all our mechanics where trained on BMW specifics.

But that was over 15 years ago!

As far as I've ever known for being in the BMW family since 2002, I've always gotten a loaner even if it was a mundain issue that would be fixed in a hour and I wanted lunch they would throw me the keys to a car, the last issue where I was out of a car for a week they gave me the new 5 series to play around in. I guess it matters where you are and smaller towns may not participate in a loaner program but BMW reimburses them for their loaners. So they don't mind giving them out. Plus since I also own an i3 they would give me a new X5 for the weekend to take to Michigan and back for small vacations. But new, old, cpo it didn't matter you get your car serviced from them they gave you a loaner. Perk of paying their sky high dealer price is the way I look at it.

It's extremely nice and one reason I guess I stay with the brand. As my friend who owns a 70k dollar king ranch f150 they make him get his own loaner and he has to pay for it! So yea it's definitely a perk !
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #56
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Any update? Captivated minds want to know...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #57
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Any update? Captivated minds want to know...
Last i heard was from BMW of Dallas on Tuesday where they said they were waiting on approval from the warranty company. I asked BMW about a loaner and they said they would see what they could do. Nothing since.
I talked yesterday with the Sales Manager with Autonation Ford(the only one there i've spoken with since i drove it to them(will be two weeks ago this Monday)). I told him my patiences was wearing thin and the last i heard BMW was awaiting approval to tear it down to see whats wrong. He said he thought BMW had been working with the warranty company but admitted he was not really in the loop. I told him i bought the vehicle from them and it was very bad business to not communicate in any way with me since me bringing the vehicle back. He told me he and the sales rep that sold me the vehicle had been communicating and he thought the rep had been talking with me. I told him "nope", i've not heard from the rep since i first had the issue two days after purchasing it. He assured me he would get that rectified....we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #58
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

You forgot the "hurry up and wait" OP. I can tell you most of us are following along and feeling your pain.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #59
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
You forgot the "hurry up and wait" OP. I can tell you most of us are following along and feeling your pain.
Lol! I sure did. Best part is i'm almost 3 weeks into my 90 day warranty and i've only driven it for two days. I'm sure a month or more will be gone by the time i see it again. Really curious as to what they find, but for now its....hurry up and wait...
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #60
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I am not saying its impossible, but I personally have never had a rod knock that bad without any sort of oil usage or output of the tailpipe. With the extra play the cylinder just doesn't seal. I think that noise is in the cam/timing valve-train. It may be possible to have a rod knock with no oil smoke or usage, but I feel like its highly unlikely.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #61
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

that is entertainingly offensive to nurses. Substitute students in med school for nurses and your statement is correct.

Most shops will have a mix. Nothing as drastic as 2 legit mechanics and a bunch of new guys thumbing through workshop manuals(I hope). 9 times out of 10, unless I have done the job a few times, I will reference a manual. I am a current ASE Truck master, I was a Navistar truck master in 2014, I was a Ford Sr Diesel Master in 2007, so I can usually handle most things.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:44 AM   #62
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Last i heard was from BMW of Dallas on Tuesday where they said they were waiting on approval from the warranty company. I asked BMW about a loaner and they said they would see what they could do. Nothing since.
I talked yesterday with the Sales Manager with Autonation Ford(the only one there i've spoken with since i drove it to them(will be two weeks ago this Monday)). I told him my patiences was wearing thin and the last i heard BMW was awaiting approval to tear it down to see whats wrong. He said he thought BMW had been working with the warranty company but admitted he was not really in the loop. I told him i bought the vehicle from them and it was very bad business to not communicate in any way with me since me bringing the vehicle back. He told me he and the sales rep that sold me the vehicle had been communicating and he thought the rep had been talking with me. I told him "nope", i've not heard from the rep since i first had the issue two days after purchasing it. He assured me he would get that rectified....we shall see.
There is a majority of people in the world these days that take to this kind of behavior, in any situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #63
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Well explained
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #64
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
that is entertainingly offensive to nurses. Substitute students in med school for nurses and your statement is correct.

Most shops will have a mix. Nothing as drastic as 2 legit mechanics and a bunch of new guys thumbing through workshop manuals(I hope). 9 times out of 10, unless I have done the job a few times, I will reference a manual. I am a current ASE Truck master, I was a Navistar truck master in 2014, I was a Ford Sr Diesel Master in 2007, so I can usually handle most things.
I didn't mean to offend anyone; perhaps it's my lack of life experience and some confirmation bias in both cases.

Nurse always brings me in, gets my vitals, tells me to wait for the doc. When the doc leaves the nurse comes back in, types stuff up, gets me the prescription, sends me on my way. Same experience in the ER, but that could be me mistaking med students for nurses.

I went to get an alignment after lowering my car in GA and the SA said they couldn't get the car in spec. The "mechanic" came out to speak with me and give me the alignment sheet. Only one adjustment had been made on the whole car. I asked why and to show me why. He said I'd have to speak with the actual shop mechanic. They took me in the back and the "shop mechanic" showed me how corroded everything was (northern car) and said he will get the SA to find out how much to replace all the control arms. I said no, I'll get it done elsewhere. I went to leave and another "mechanic" came out to BS with me about my M3 and everything I'd done to it. He was young and I asked how long he'd been a mechanic. He said that he used to be a car porter there and just recently began training to be a mechanic. He said his uncle was the only certified BMW mechanic at the dealership and everyone else was either a general certified mechanic or just a normal guy trying to learn. I took the car to a Porsche Indy 5 min down the road and had the car aligned properly within an hour. Live and learn.

The second time was in FLA when my fuel pump went out. The SA took me into the back to speak with the "mechanic" and that guy told me he had just started disassembling it (The car was up on a lift, IDK why, the fuel pump was under the rear seat) and he would get the "head mechanic" to test the pump when he comes around. I made the assumption that the "mechanic" I was speaking to wasn't a mechanic at all.

Perhaps in both cases the people I was speaking with didn't have complete knowledge and they were only referring to normal BMW mechanics vs "Master BMW Mechanics." It definitely is stupid to think that BMW Mechanics don't need to use a manual. You can't know every car and the torque of every bolt. I did, however, lose some confidence in dealers.

Appreciate 1
      07-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #65
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Ok, so he changes the comment to med school students. So what? then someone would have said that his comment was entertainingly offensive to students in med school? Smh
I wasn't upset by it, I am just married to a nurse, and she has told me and continue to tell me that doctors are not the same as nurses, and vice versa. Its a whole different chain of expertise. That's all. It was entertaining, I meant that in seriousness, I chuckled that it would have offended her.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #66
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend anyone; perhaps it's my lack of life experience and some confirmation bias in both cases.

Nurse always brings me in, gets my vitals, tells me to wait for the doc. When the doc leaves the nurse comes back in, types stuff up, gets me the prescription, sends me on my way. Same experience in the ER, but that could be me mistaking med students for nurses.

I went to get an alignment after lowering my car in GA and the SA said they couldn't get the car in spec. The "mechanic" came out to speak with me and give me the alignment sheet. Only one adjustment had been made on the whole car. I asked why and to show me why. He said I'd have to speak with the actual shop mechanic. They took me in the back and the "shop mechanic" showed me how corroded everything was (northern car) and said he will get the SA to find out how much to replace all the control arms. I said no, I'll get it done elsewhere. I went to leave and another "mechanic" came out to BS with me about my M3 and everything I'd done to it. He was young and I asked how long he'd been a mechanic. He said that he used to be a car porter there and just recently began training to be a mechanic. He said his uncle was the only certified BMW mechanic at the dealership and everyone else was either a general certified mechanic or just a normal guy trying to learn. I took the car to a Porsche Indy 5 min down the road and had the car aligned properly within an hour. Live and learn.

The second time was in FLA when my fuel pump went out. The SA took me into the back to speak with the "mechanic" and that guy told me he had just started disassembling it (The car was up on a lift, IDK why, the fuel pump was under the rear seat) and he would get the "head mechanic" to test the pump when he comes around. I made the assumption that the "mechanic" I was speaking to wasn't a mechanic at all.

Perhaps in both cases the people I was speaking with didn't have complete knowledge and they were only referring to normal BMW mechanics vs "Master BMW Mechanics." It definitely is stupid to think that BMW Mechanics don't need to use a manual. You can't know every car and the torque of every bolt. I did, however, lose some confidence in dealers.
the current world of vehicle and vehicle repair is in need of improvement to say the least. If you find a good shop, find a way to marry said good shop. I found a local shop that is super high quality that ran a tailpipe on my X.
Appreciate 0