XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

Wow!!

I must say after 3 years of ownership with the suv you just purchased but in carbon black, if you get a chance to get out do it!

Ive babied mine and honestly its slowing turning into a nightmare, 5k oil changes etc etc but its starting to smoke at 92k and oil pump whines a little and leaks oil!! My driving is varied and I give it some stick every now and again to surprise the odd new mustangs.

It sucks because I love it even now and it will be sad to get rid but it drinks oil like my 96 mazda RX7 but its my daily which is a PITA, eats tires on the front, tracking goes out all the time. Bar the engine, mechanically its great no knocks or squeeze the engine is garbage on the whole imo (Thats coming from a rotary engine guy) and the lack of tracking adjustment on the front makes for 30% wastage on the fronts tires.

Sorry to lower the tone but unless you want to keep it forever or spend alot of time at the dealers I wouldn't go though the headache - the power hike over the 35i or 50d isn't worth it unless you like burning money/time.

I'm about to do the seals on mine and get rid, BMW ownership is not what it was. I had a 3 series on the 96 that did 160,000miles no issues!

I gave the 50i a chance despite what I saw and it is turning about to all be true!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6yd View Post
Wow!!

I must say after 3 years of ownership with the suv you just purchased but in carbon black, if you get a chance to get out do it!

Ive babied mine and honestly its slowing turning into a nightmare, 5k oil changes etc etc but its starting to smoke at 92k and oil pump whines a little and leaks oil!! My driving is varied and I give it some stick every now and again to surprise the odd new mustangs.

It sucks because I love it even now and it will be sad to get rid but it drinks oil like my 96 mazda RX7 but its my daily which is a PITA, eats tires on the front, tracking goes out all the time. Bar the engine, mechanically its great no knocks or squeeze the engine is garbage on the whole imo (Thats coming from a rotary engine guy) and the lack of tracking adjustment on the front makes for 30% wastage on the fronts tires.

Sorry to lower the tone but unless you want to keep it forever or spend alot of time at the dealers I wouldn't go though the headache - the power hike over the 35i or 50d isn't worth it unless you like burning money/time.

I'm about to do the seals on mine and get rid, BMW ownership is not what it was. I had a 3 series on the 96 that did 160,000miles no issues!

I gave the 50i a chance despite what I saw and it is turning about to all be true!
Yea stories like yours is what made me get the 35i and it's got 125k miles now and the only issue it's ever had was the transfer case failing, but that was because the front and rear tires where off percentage wise. Otherwise it's been as reliable as any car I've ever had.

I know theirs tunes out their to get you very close to 50i territory and wondering if I should do it. Just don't want to make it fail sooner.
BMW makes great inline 6 cylinders but they need more work on making a super reliable v8.

Funny though but the X5M's v8 I guess is more reliable than their non M engine. Who would guess!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
My vote is it's something more simple. When you rev the engine the flapping changes. Wonder if maybe the serp belt broke or something. Keep us posted.

I have a 2011 50i I and love it. (even though it currently leaks oil.)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Sorry to hear you're experience with the X5 has been so poor. Owning one of these, especially the V8, out of warranty is not recommended. Luckily this happened within the 90 day warranty period, otherwise you'd be in trouble.

I say see what the BMW dealer says. I think it'll end up being rather expensive, and that the Ford dealership likely won't want to pay for it.

If I were you, I'd be respectful and ask them for you money back. No harm, no foul.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #27
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Just my opinion, but I can't see the dealer giving OP his money back even if the OP were a relative or an employee of the dealership. An as is sale is an as is sale. That is the end of their responsibility I believe. If OP found a brick of gold hidden in the floor boards the gold would be OP's and he would be laughing all the way to the bank. But as OP stated the vehicle is under warranty and the warranty company, whomever it may be is responsible to fix the vehicle. If the warranty company is the dealer then they will fix it. I just can't see any outcome that the dealer would want the vehicle back. Possibly a car salesman can chime in here and let us know what the protocol is. In addition, although I am not a car salesman "I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night".
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #28
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Just my opinion, but I can't see the dealer giving OP his money back even if the OP were a relative or an employee of the dealership. An as is sale is an as is sale. That is the end of their responsibility I believe. If OP found a brick of gold hidden in the floor boards the gold would be OP's and he would be laughing all the way to the bank. But as OP stated the vehicle is under warranty and the warranty company, whomever it may be is responsible to fix the vehicle. If the warranty company is the dealer then they will fix it. I just can't see any outcome that the dealer would want the vehicle back. Possibly a car salesman can chime in here and let us know what the protocol is. In addition, although I am not a car salesman "I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night".
Buy backs do happen but this may not fall into that and is up to the dealer and buyer to negotiate.

It's happened already for someone I know where they bought back the Ford f 150 because they couldn't fix it.

Also when I was working at a BMW dealer the shop had a 7 series in the service bay, this was the first new bangeled design so this was close to 20 years ago but the technician fried all the computers on the car and amazingly it was cheaper to buy the car back and give him a new one rather than fix it. Still left me
In awe as I can imagine how much the computers cost at the time but from what I understood the car had many of them.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
BMW of Dallas just called and said that they are having to get their "heavy line mechanic" look at my vehicle. Said they would have it over night and they would for sure give me a call tomorrow when they had more details. Very professional and very concerned with keeping ME informed. I appreciate that. Still hurry up and wait though...
You seem more than reasonable. They should be very happy that you are not making demands. Hope this works out for you...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #30
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

hah rod bearings r toast. buy a.warranty, wait a few.months then have someone fix it
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #31
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

The N63 has soooooo many issues. I had mine for 106k miles. Oil changes every 3k. Both wastegate bushings went on the turbos and dealer wanted $7500 for 2 new turbos. I took a trade in for $10k and bought a demo 2017 F15 in space gray with m package. Only 4500 miles on it. Very happy.

While I loved my 5.0 I was always afraid it would just die on the road some day. Get out of you can.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
beachcomberx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X-5

Plus I bought a warranty up to 100k miles and I will get rid of it at 99999 mikes.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #33
Birdoprey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i M Sport

Well, no word at all from BMW of Dallas today. So much for "I WILL call you myself tomorrow to let you what we have found.".....
Honestly, i didn't think they would get too many specifics today. Back to "hurry up and wait..."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #34
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, no word at all from BMW of Dallas today. So much for "I WILL call you myself tomorrow to let you what we have found.".....
Honestly, i didn't think they would get too many specifics today. Back to "hurry up and wait..."
Well they should have called you but I wouldn't be surprised that it takes another day or so to know specifics.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #35
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Quote:
I LOVE the thing! The dealer was quick to return my call and the manager called me quick after that. Both assured me they would get it fixed. Became concerned when they want me to haul it to the dealer, complaining of a huge tow bill if they called a wrecker. They did say they would compensate me for my fuel. Probably my fault since i mentioned i did have a trailer...

Yes, the knocking increases with rpms
This is poor customer support. Were I in there shoes, I would adamantly refuse for you to use your already wasted time on this failure.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #36
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6yd View Post
Wow!!

You aren't completely rebuilding your motor at 97k, so shouldn't you be happy?

I have heard the wasting of the front tires is due to a failed ball joint on these trucks, and that to see how they have failed, you have to complete a specific kind of test to feel the actual play, but they drive fine, they just tend to eat the inside of 2 tires. The BMW guy at a shop that did a tailpipe on my truck specifically mentioned that to me so I would monitor it on my truck
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #37
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

They have not determined what is broken, no smoke and no oil issues, I hesitate to think rod knock. Plus it keeps starting, it started right up. Every thrown rod I have come across has had a starting issue, because the cylinder with the thrown rod is meeting increased resistance because of the added wear on the cylinder bore, caused by the rod being bent or the bearing for the rod being out.

I am cautiously optimistic this may turn out to be a less sever repair then the ENTIRE motor being rebuilt or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #38
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
They have not determined what is broken, no smoke and no oil issues, I hesitate to think rod knock. Plus it keeps starting, it started right up. Every thrown rod I have come across has had a starting issue, because the cylinder with the thrown rod is meeting increased resistance because of the added wear on the cylinder bore, caused by the rod being bent or the bearing for the rod being out.

I am cautiously optimistic this may turn out to be a less sever repair then the ENTIRE motor being rebuilt or replaced.
thinking out loud but I would try and buy and extended warranty if you plan to keep it. I have the N63, was a low milage CPO, and under warranty for another 50K miles. Would not own it without warranty peace of mind. I went with the N63 because it was fun to drive...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #39
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
thinking out loud but I would try and buy and extended warranty if you plan to keep it. I have the N63, was a low milage CPO, and under warranty for another 50K miles. Would not own it without warranty peace of mind. I went with the N63 because it was fun to drive...
I'm thinking the same thing. Do you get the extended warranty through the dealer or do I just do that on my own? Sorry to be so ignorant. Just have not had any issues with any other vehicles I've every owned.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #40
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. Do you get the extended warranty through the dealer or do I just do that on my own? Sorry to be so ignorant. Just have not had any issues with any other vehicles I've every owned.
Got it from dealer when I bought car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #41
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

He did not buy his 50 from a BMW dealer, I don't believe any extended warranty may be a good idea through anyone other then BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #42
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

BMW called yesterday while i was in Dr office. He left message saying that they were working on an estimate(which was "fairly substantial"). Said it included replacing the valve cover, oil pan, timing chain and possibly the oil pump. Said they would have the estimate finished Monday and they would call back. I tried calling them back within 5 min of their call and no answer. Called 4 more times with no answer. Left message. Back to hurry up and wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #43
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW called yesterday while i was in Dr office. He left message saying that they were working on an estimate(which was "fairly substantial"). Said it included replacing the valve cover, oil pan, timing chain and possibly the oil pump. Said they would have the estimate finished Monday and they would call back. I tried calling them back within 5 min of their call and no answer. Called 4 more times with no answer. Left message. Back to hurry up and wait.
Hopefully they know what it is, if they fix all that and it doesn't help that's a whole lot of money wasted. My worry is the driving you did if the oil pump failed or something would have caused damage elsewhere that may cause pre mature failure on parts later on.

Hopefully it was that simple. But I know my dealer wanted 3500 just to fix the oil leak from my oil pan!

So I can imagine what sky high bill your looking at!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #44
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
My worry is the driving you did if the oil pump failed or something would have caused damage elsewhere that may cause pre mature failure on parts later on.
My thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 0