XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Birdoprey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i M Sport

First time BMW owner and huge issues on 2nd day...

Was hoping my 1st post here was gonna be one of excitement, but all excitement about the 2013 BMW X5 Xdrive50i i just bought came to a screeching halt about 4 hrs ago...
Picked it up at about 6pm on the 4th(two days ago) and drove the 220 miles back home. No issues. Love the truck. Have logged right at 300 miles total since i bought it. My son and i hopped in it and was headed down the hwy, tooling along at 70-75mph on West Texas flat highway and all of the sudden it kinda nosed over for a split second, much like just tapping the brakes. My son and i looked at each other wondering what that was? Then Engine malfunction displayed on the NAV screen saying it was in reduced power mode. Said it was possible to drive but needed to go to nearest BMW dealer. At that time i noticed what sounded like a plastic panel flapping up front. Was hard to hear while moving. Pulled over and opened the door when i heard a knocking and loud metallic "chirping" sound. My immediate thought was a pulley bearing out(except for the knocking). We were about 7miles from home so we turned around and putted home at 40mph. Inside the vehicle, it was not very noticeable but everyone in town sure heard us coming as we limped to our house. When home the "chirping" had stopped and now you could just hear the loud knocking. No smoke, no funny smells, no leaking fluids.
After further checking, it sounds like the knocking is coming from the center of the motor, about the middle to rear of the turbos. I did pull the outlet to the compressor sides of the turbos and do not see any debris of any kind between the turbo and the intercoolers. Thats as far as i went and buttoned it back up.
I was thinking possible turbo failure as that could explain the metallic chirping but i've never heard a turbo knock. From my experience with turbos, one typically sees smoke/oil out the tail pipe when there is bearing failure, but see no evidence of this.
The X5 has 59,000 miles on it. It was a certified used vehicle that I bought from AutoNation(big Ford dealer) in Ft. Worth. Vehicle came with a 90 day, 4000 mi warranty(i'd say i'm well in that...lol). They are trying to get it into a BMW dealer, the closest of which is in Midland, Tx(100mi West of me). Forgot to mention it has the M Performance package, which i believe is the 440hp version?

Anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong?

-Mark

Last edited by Birdoprey; 07-11-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Pic of it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Sorry to hear about your experience just days after your purchase. Thankfully you have a 90 day warranty with the dealer and it sounds like they are working with you.

As for the issue at hand, does the knocking increase with rpms?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience just days after your purchase. Thankfully you have a 90 day warranty with the dealer and it sounds like they are working with you.

As for the issue at hand, does the knocking increase with rpms?
I LOVE the thing! The dealer was quick to return my call and the manager called me quick after that. Both assured me they would get it fixed. Became concerned when they want me to haul it to the dealer, complaining of a huge tow bill if they called a wrecker. They did say they would compensate me for my fuel. Probably my fault since i mentioned i did have a trailer...

Yes, the knocking increases with rpms
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Sorry this was your first experience. After getting my first BMW I strayed twice, but came back in under 12 mo each time...love these cars. Hope they take care of you quick and get you back on the road, enjoying your truck. Welcome to the forum and BMW family!

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Hey OP, sorry that this is your first thread but I am happy to be the one to pop your first "appreciate" cherry. Yes, you have the 440hp version of the X5. Your rims are the 330M style which are typical to the ZMP M-Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Thanks guys for the welcome. From what i was told it has the M-Sport package and the M-Performance? Sorry for my being ignorant. The more i search, the more i find i don't know! lol
Looks like i'm taking it to Proctor Automotive in Abilene, Tx. Been in business for 70 yrs and is very familiar with BMW's. Reviews on the net are over 96%. Will be dropping it off to them Monday morning. Hopefully its nothing too bad. Really putting a bad taste in my mouth having this so quick, but if its gonna happen, now while in the warranty is the best time. We shall see...

Anyone with an idea as to whats wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
socale39
Major
Rep

With limited information we'd just be guessing.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
With limited information we'd just be guessing.
I get that. Just figured someone might have had something similar that could share what they found to be a cause. Guess i'm the only one with anything like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Big welcome to you. Sorry about your mishap. Please keep us updated.
      07-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Sound clip...

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Sounds like a rod to me. Maybe something in the valve train too...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
Sounds like a rod to me. Maybe something in the valve train too...
Yea a friend of mine spun a rod bearing and sounded like that... rod knock and it kept getting louder. Engine could be toast!

Their going to have to pull the engine and practically rebuild the bottom end.

That is if it turned out to be that.

If they where concerned with a big tow bill their about to eat the farm ! Probably going to cost them half of what you bought it for !

Look up rod knock on you tube you'll see lots of different examples.

Their was a time you could put load on the engine and hold the brakes and I forgot if the knock is supposed to get quieter or louder to confirm but I'd give it a shot. Lots of info on YouTube for rod knock. I'd suggest looking on how to diagnose if it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #14
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea a friend of mine spun a rod bearing and sounded like that... rod knock and it kept getting louder. Engine could be toast!

If they where concerned with a big tow bill their about to eat the farm ! Probably going to cost them half of what you bought it for !

Their was a time you could put load on the engine and hold the brakes and I forgot if the knock is supposed to get quieter or louder to confirm but I'd give it a shot. Lots of info on YouTube for rod knock. I'd suggest looking on how to diagnose if it is.
Been all over the forums and Youtube for past two days. Pretty sure its rod knock along with something else. May have bent a couple of valves or worse.

Right now i'm wondering what they will wanna do? I paid $28K for it and i'm sure they only have $22-23K at best in it. After searching rebuild costs, i doubt they will wanna go that route(probably 10-15K?). That would leave maybe a used motor? They are not cheap either and from what i'm seeing(finding lots of the 400hp N63's but none of the 440hp(not sure what its called) motors) it will be probably $10-15K installed?. Would the dealer actually go that route and then have to worry about another 70-80 days of coverage? Or will they just say "hey, how about we put you in another vehicle"? Or "how about we give you your trade-in back and shake hands and part friends"? I've never dealt with any type of warranty work on a used vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #15
socale39
Major
Rep

Engine is toast. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

Been all over the forums and Youtube for past two days. Pretty sure its rod knock along with something else. May have bent a couple of valves or worse.

Right now i'm wondering what they will wanna do? I paid $28K for it and i'm sure they only have $22-23K at best in it. After searching rebuild costs, i doubt they will wanna go that route(probably 10-15K?). That would leave maybe a used motor? They are not cheap either and from what i'm seeing(finding lots of the 400hp N63's but none of the 440hp(not sure what its called) motors) it will be probably $10-15K installed?. Would the dealer actually go that route and then have to worry about another 70-80 days of coverage? Or will they just say "hey, how about we put you in another vehicle"? Or "how about we give you your trade-in back and shake hands and part friends"? I've never dealt with any type of warranty work on a used vehicle.
Well they sometimes are covered with their insurance for these types of issues. Also their gonna have to fix it one way or another, point of owning a dealer sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

They may buy it back they may just fork it over and get it fixed. The 440 is just dealer OE tuned engine software no difference in engine. When they redo the engine your ECU will still be their so you should still have your 440hp.

Otherwise on the plus side you'll have some fresh bearings. But to loose a bearing so early leads me to question its past history and if it was well maintained or if it was hooned by youngsters while at the dealer which caused the issue before you got it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #17
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well they sometimes are covered with their insurance for these types of issues. Also their gonna have to fix it one way or another, point of owning a dealer sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

They may buy it back they may just fork it over and get it fixed. The 440 is just dealer OE tuned engine software no difference in engine. When they redo the engine your ECU will still be their so you should still have your 440hp.

Otherwise on the plus side you'll have some fresh bearings. But to loose a bearing so early leads me to question its past history and if it was well maintained or if it was hooned by youngsters while at the dealer which caused the issue before you got it.

Thats my concern. For a bearing to fail this early, there must have been some issue when i got it. Even dogging it should not cause a bearing failure unless there was some type of oiling issue(oil change neglect, oil pump failure or issue, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Engine is toast. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

No kidding....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #19
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Just an update....

I decided it would be best to haul it back to the dealership so they can see it in person. I took off work yesterday and hauled the X5 250mi to the dealer. Manager met me outside and asked me to crank it. Immediately he told me to shut it off and said it needed to go to the BMW dealer. I hauled it another 45ish miles to BMW of Dallas and dropped it off with them. They said they would call when they got a looksee at it and let me know what they find. No word as of yet. Will keep y'all posted...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #20
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Just an update....

I decided it would be best to haul it back to the dealership so they can see it in person. I took off work yesterday and hauled the X5 250mi to the dealer. Manager met me outside and asked me to crank it. Immediately he told me to shut it off and said it needed to go to the BMW dealer. I hauled it another 45ish miles to BMW of Dallas and dropped it off with them. They said they would call when they got a looksee at it and let me know what they find. No word as of yet. Will keep y'all posted...

Hey, misery loves company so we are right here with you Bird. Sounds like a stand up dealer, although it would have been nice to just bring it to your local dealer, but it is what it is as they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #21
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post

Hey, misery loves company so we are right here with you Bird. Sounds like a stand up dealer, although it would have been nice to just bring it to your local dealer, but it is what it is as they say.
Lol. Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
Birdoprey
Private
Rep

BMW of Dallas just called and said that they are having to get their "heavy line mechanic" look at my vehicle. Said they would have it over night and they would for sure give me a call tomorrow when they had more details. Very professional and very concerned with keeping ME informed. I appreciate that. Still hurry up and wait though...
Appreciate 0