XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #89
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M Enthusiast View Post

I use it for a daily driver 70 miles/day. A great vehicle that I intend to keep until it stops. I believe she will go for 300K as long as I treat her well.
well said!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #90
X5ervson
Registered
Rep
Drives: in the process of buying

hey guys digging thru this threat imo it sounds like the x5 is pretty solid ... with any man made product experience will vary ... but i like what i am seeing ... i once owned an 2006 clk 500 that i purchased without researching it first ... and there was no varation with the feedback on that vehicle most owners experience the same issues and were replacing the same parts consistently to the point alot of people just recommeded that you dont by the vehicle because it was a serious mechincal issues ... i had mines in the shop every 3 months ... which imo is unacceptable thats a lemon in my opinion and should be a disgrace to any brand ... but i am not saying the mercedes brand is trash ... its just certain release like my 2006 clk 500 amg ... that specific model year etc was trash ... i had people with older or new with different models who didnt experience the same issues ... even with researching the x5 im starting to learn majority of the models with additional "mechanical headaches" are due to the sup'd up versions like the 550s amgs m series etc... those usually come with the addition unforseen mtce ... and imo it makes sense those models are built for speed and perforance ... any speed and performance vehicles needs a little more attention to mtce due to the setup and heating issues ... think about it real race cars needs inspection and repairs every run ... the M classes and AMGs arent quite race track cars but they are built like it and imo dont require daily mtce but def quartly mtce especially if you push it hard ... so all in all there was talk about knowing what you brought ... i think we all know what we purchased but imo your cant claim luxury if it doesnt last ! with that being said it sounds like the x5 as long as you go base and take care of it holds true to this ... the only thing we should expect is to pay a little more for our pricey parts ... but we shouldnt be visiting the dealer for repairs every other month or more frequently than that ... thats not acceptable for any brand imo no matter the cost you paid for the vehicle ...

but back to the x5 specifically ... digging thru the thread i notice some common repairs ... but no one was documenting the cost ... can anyone inform me of the cost to repair these items ... cause based on the response i should expect to def replace these parts ... which i am not mad @ because most cars go thru the same mtce around this time ...

looking for prices !!

most mentioned replacements

water pump
oil pan gasket
Transfer case fluid
plugs / coil

honorable mentions lol

Fuel pump
Air suspension
Glow Plug Controller
belts (someone mentioned $300 sounds kind of low for a bmw wanted more responses on this )
(Replaced Serpentine and AC belt and pulleys-300$ parts and labor)
drive shaft and front and rear axel shafts
front suspension

and i need prices cause im debating on wether or not to get the extended warranty only cause of the cost
they want $3k+ for 2yrs and $5k for 3yrs ... the vehicle im looking @ is an 2013 35i with 86k ... looking @ the
responses im thinking it maybe better to opt out cause i look to either see minimum mtce with in the next couple of years
or maybe break even with the warranty @ average ... and @ worst the warranty may save me $1,000 or more ... if i end up being
one of the unlucky x5 owners to get a dud lol ...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #91
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I hit 220k miles today.
Appreciate 1
perry8912101.00
      05-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #92
X5ervson
Registered
Rep
Drives: in the process of buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
I hit 220k miles today.
original owner ??
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #93
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

No. I bought it at 93k

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5ervson View Post
original owner ??
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #94
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5ervson View Post
hey guys digging thru this threat imo it sounds like the x5 is pretty solid ... with any man made product experience will vary ... but i like what i am seeing ... i once owned an 2006 clk 500 that i purchased without researching it first ... and there was no varation with the feedback on that vehicle most owners experience the same issues and were replacing the same parts consistently to the point alot of people just recommeded that you dont by the vehicle because it was a serious mechincal issues ... i had mines in the shop every 3 months ... which imo is unacceptable thats a lemon in my opinion and should be a disgrace to any brand ... but i am not saying the mercedes brand is trash ... its just certain release like my 2006 clk 500 amg ... that specific model year etc was trash ... i had people with older or new with different models who didnt experience the same issues ... even with researching the x5 im starting to learn majority of the models with additional "mechanical headaches" are due to the sup'd up versions like the 550s amgs m series etc... those usually come with the addition unforseen mtce ... and imo it makes sense those models are built for speed and perforance ... any speed and performance vehicles needs a little more attention to mtce due to the setup and heating issues ... think about it real race cars needs inspection and repairs every run ... the M classes and AMGs arent quite race track cars but they are built like it and imo dont require daily mtce but def quartly mtce especially if you push it hard ... so all in all there was talk about knowing what you brought ... i think we all know what we purchased but imo your cant claim luxury if it doesnt last ! with that being said it sounds like the x5 as long as you go base and take care of it holds true to this ... the only thing we should expect is to pay a little more for our pricey parts ... but we shouldnt be visiting the dealer for repairs every other month or more frequently than that ... thats not acceptable for any brand imo no matter the cost you paid for the vehicle ...

but back to the x5 specifically ... digging thru the thread i notice some common repairs ... but no one was documenting the cost ... can anyone inform me of the cost to repair these items ... cause based on the response i should expect to def replace these parts ... which i am not mad @ because most cars go thru the same mtce around this time ...

looking for prices !!

most mentioned replacements

water pump
oil pan gasket
Transfer case fluid
plugs / coil

honorable mentions lol

Fuel pump
Air suspension
Glow Plug Controller
belts (someone mentioned $300 sounds kind of low for a bmw wanted more responses on this )
(Replaced Serpentine and AC belt and pulleys-300$ parts and labor)
drive shaft and front and rear axel shafts
front suspension

and i need prices cause im debating on wether or not to get the extended warranty only cause of the cost
they want $3k+ for 2yrs and $5k for 3yrs ... the vehicle im looking @ is an 2013 35i with 86k ... looking @ the
responses im thinking it maybe better to opt out cause i look to either see minimum mtce with in the next couple of years
or maybe break even with the warranty @ average ... and @ worst the warranty may save me $1,000 or more ... if i end up being
one of the unlucky x5 owners to get a dud lol ...
It won't have everything you want, but I used repairpal.com to estimate some common stuff a couple years ago when I first started getting serious about owning the X5M- having already owned a number of E53 & E70 X5s.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #95
Finder01
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I just had mine die (broken timing chain) at 189K (not worth fixing). It was a 2001 that I bought in 2006 with 44K on it then. Best car I have ever had. Shopping now for another one.

Only really expensive item I had for maintenance was the Alternator (freaking water cooled) was about $2K.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #96
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder01 View Post
I just had mine die (broken timing chain) at 189K (not worth fixing). It was a 2001 that I bought in 2006 with 44K on it then. Best car I have ever had. Shopping now for another one.

Only really expensive item I had for maintenance was the Alternator (freaking water cooled) was about $2K.
Was this an N63? any warning that something was wrong before the timing chain broke?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #97
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

113K miles 2012 X5 50i. seals done long ago. Now stuff goes wrong here and there. Mostly quiet though. Wanting to get X5M but wonder if I should stay with e70 or f15. F15 prices still high
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #98
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Was this an N63? any warning that something was wrong before the timing chain broke?
2001 is M62TU and that alternator could have been a $200 DIY job. Usually timing chains will rattle at startup before going since they stretch...eventually the tensioner stops being able to hold tension and it'll rattle at startup. The M62 is also notorious for timing chain guides at around 100k, happened to my E38 740iL...Long story but I was able to get a built/performance option engine from www.bavengine.com which the warranty paid like $14k after it was all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #99
Finder01
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Unfortunately no, just suddenly heard a loud clicking. BMW mechanic knew the sound was the timing chain.

But honestly, I drove the car (truck LOL) for 150K miles with very little maintenance. I only paid 14K for it 12 years ago. I MUST find an X5 replacement.

I have been warned, try to find one without a Turbocharger if I want one that lasts over 100k without major expenses.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #100
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Up
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #101
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Just hit 150k miles on the family vacation and she's driving like a dream!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #102
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

116K Miles

I Picked up a fully loaded 2012 50i about 4 months ago. I was in the market for a Kia but saw this and after falling in love with the power, I just had to. Dealer let it go for 14K (cheaper then the 2012 kia I was looking at lol!). I did my homework, this is NOT the car to buy if your on a budget but I just couldn't help it plus the parts are really not that bad...its the LABOR that kills ya and I do all the work myself.

Was in Mint condition and engine looked to be taken care of meticulously but.....it wasnt. Within a few weeks I started blowing engine codes. Now I do drive the living piss out of it, I average 1000 miles a week here n my job here in AZ where the temps pass 110 easy daily in the summer.

So far I replaced all the plugs (looked to be orginal...WTF) and some of the coils. It recently started blowing so much smoke out the back I was sure not only the valve seals were toast but I must have blown a turbo seal too...was using a quart of oil every 100 miles...yes one hundred!

Turned out to be BMWs lame-ass excuse for a CCV system. I didn't have time to wait for parts and hooked up a catch-can system on the cheap. Still shocked of how they engineered a cheap valve that when it goes will allow FULL BOOST to hit your crankcase...

Anyway after hooking those up she is running better then ever. I plan to do the rest of the coils and pop the intakes (call BS on having to remove the engine on that, I'll find away even if it means I have to plasma cut some holes in her to get to the bolts) so I can clean all the carbon out. Then Its time for downpipes and a burgerracing JB4, intercooler upgrade, etc. Want to have a solid 550+ hp poor-mans X5M.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-15-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #103
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I Picked up a fully loaded 2012 50i about 4 months ago. I was in the market for a Kia but saw this and after falling in love with the power, I just had to. Dealer let it go for 14K (cheaper then the 2012 kia I was looking at lol!). I did my homework, this is NOT the car to buy if your on a budget but I just couldn't help it plus the parts are really not that bad...its the LABOR that kills ya and I do all the work myself.

Was in Mint condition and engine looked to be taken care of meticulously but.....it wasnt. Within a few weeks I started blowing engine codes. Now I do drive the living piss out of it, I average 1000 miles a week here n my job here in AZ where the temps pass 110 easy daily in the summer.

So far I replaced all the plugs (looked to be orginal...WTF) and some of the coils. It recently started blowing so much smoke out the back I was sure not only the valve seals were toast but I must have blown a turbo seal too...was using a quart of oil every 100 miles...yes one hundred!

Turned out to be BMWs lame-ass excuse for a CCV system. I didn't have time to wait for parts and hooked up a catch-can system on the cheap. Still shocked of how they engineered a cheap valve that when it goes will allow FULL BOOST to hit your crankcase...

Anyway after hooking those up she is running better then ever. I plan to do the rest of the coils and pop the intakes (call BS on having to remove the engine on that, I'll find away even if it means I have to plasma cut some holes in her to get to the bolts) so I can clean all the carbon out. Then Its time for downpipes and a burgerracing JB4, intercooler upgrade, etc. Want to have a solid 550+ hp poor-mans X5M.
Hehehee. ........ Kia........... Killed In Action!!!

Rather drive a PITA BMW than one of those anyway.

Got to have a car that you hate just enough to keep it entertaining. .
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #104
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Hehehee. ........ Kia........... Killed In Action!!!

Rather drive a PITA BMW than one of those anyway.

Got to have a car that you hate just enough to keep it entertaining. .
Hahaha too true. I liken the x5 50i & M's to an amazing abusive lover...you know th type...we have all had one in our lives at one point...it shows you such amazing highs, like nothing you have felt before.....right before it beats/cheats on you...yet you just can't help coming back for more as nothing else can compare....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #105
Bmf007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw x6 35i

2013 x6 35i with 117000 mhd stage 2+ still running strong
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #106
V8LIFE
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

Quote:
Wow, n55 must be one of the most reliable engine in bmw history.....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #107
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8LIFE View Post
Quote:
Wow, n55 must be one of the most reliable engine in bmw history.....
Not saying that, as my old N52 in my z4 was bullet proof, .

But for a turbo car it's been rock solid. The only issues I've ever had with the car engine wise has been the oil leaks from the oil pan and oil filter housing witch has all been fixed with the newer designed gaskets so hopefully it won't happen again.
Otherwise I've been more than happy with it!

And keeping up with the maintenance. All fluids changed and new belt and spark plugs, the biggest issue was a transfer case that failed but that's driver error for letting the tires get out of spec and wearing down the internal clutches.

Still rolling on original suspension. Though these miles are mostly highway so that counts for something. Just had a full checkup and everything is nice and tight.

I drive between Chicago and Michigan a lot so the miles are stacking up.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #108
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

237k Miles here
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #109
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
as of today I'm part of this club!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #110
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

107k on my 2011 X6M and it hasn't given me too much trouble. The CCV pipes all fell apart on me when I was swapping plugs but those are a common issue. The catless DPs will be going in soon and hopefully reduce some under hood temps. Ive been surprised at how crappy some of the plastics are under there.
Appreciate 0