XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #89
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.FriedmanFast View Post
Ha! Thanks for the pic and info; and apparently, you have successfully hijacked the thread!
Sorry! From now on, nothing but admiration for your project from me.
Your knowledge and compliments are equally welcome!
2013 F10 M5 Singapore Grey | BPM Stage-II Tune | SSP Spec-R clutch-pack| RPI DPs | RPI GTM | RK Intake | Custom Aquamist WMI system | KW V3 coilovers | Dinan Sway Bars | RW Diffsuer | RW Front Spoiler | IND Trim | HRE s101s | Passport 9500ci | AWRON digital gauge cluster
AND: e92 M3, e70 x5, 997.1 GT3, F15 x5M, e34 M5, 80-series LC
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #90
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Mission Compete - for now

FINALLY, I took receipt of the truck and Stage-1 is officially complete. Given that I am posting via a mobile device, I will render the images in several posts given the app limit of 6 per event...

Aesthetically, my expectations were well-surpassed. The paint and body work is immaculate, the stance is menacing and the wheels are absolutely gorgeous. Being a first-time Velos customer and long time HRE loyalist, I was naturally skeptical as to quality, fitment, finish and the like. Whilst I remain HRE loyal, I agree with those who place Velos amongst the top tier forged manufacturers. I am also a first time Sstoptech customer having only used Btembos in the past; quality and finish are first rate, and the red accent amidst varying tones of grey lends just the right amount of "pop" per se.

Performance wise, the vehicle has been transformed. The butt dyno suggests quite the improvement, especially in the lower rpm regimes, which was a surprise given the centrifugal orientation of the blower. While far from a speedster, it is adequately quick for semi-aggressive motoring and will make a nice grocery getter or road trip offering. The exhaust note is subtle yet present; an understated growl that ascends in register as the engine revs. The handling improvement was expected given KW's excellent reputation (I have the same coilovers on my e92 M3, F10 M5 and X5M); coupled with the wider rubber and greater contact patch, cornering at high speeds is no longer an exercise in nerve, rather pleasure. As you would expect, the car now stops on a dime.

I must acknowledge GMP Motorcars and in particular Lance, who assumed an absurdly ambitious project and delivered with aplomb. There are very few vertically integrated performance operations let alone those who are equally competent throughout the value chain. The SC installation was far more complex than originally envisioned. I posted images of the fabrication work, particularly the custom coolant reservoir; phenomenal engineering and the engine bay retained the pristine OEM look as opposed to a patient exiting the Cook County Emergency room. The exhaust fabrication is bar none the most fastidious I have seen, which is quite the endorsement given the myriad cars I've built over the years and my background in open wheel racing. In short, GMP delivered the project to spec with the greatest attention to detail. I recommend Lance and GMP without hesitation.

I will again acknowledge RJ of RJ's paint and body in Pleasanton, CA as the best at his craft, certainly in California. He is an artist.

At some point in the near future, I'll dyno the car to ascertain whp and tq gains. As for Stage-2, such is already underway. A bit of a teaser until we fully spec it out: stroked, bored and blown!

For the morbidly curious, the total project cost was approximately $65K. Out of respect for the several vendors in play, I won't provide an itemized breakdown, but for those who wish to know about a discreet aspect of the build, feel free to PM me. Many thanks to all who took the time to peruse this journal and stay tuned for Stage-2 at some point this year! Cheers!
Attached Images

2013 F10 M5 Singapore Grey | BPM Stage-II Tune | SSP Spec-R clutch-pack| RPI DPs | RPI GTM | RK Intake | Custom Aquamist WMI system | KW V3 coilovers | Dinan Sway Bars | RW Diffsuer | RW Front Spoiler | IND Trim | HRE s101s | Passport 9500ci | AWRON digital gauge cluster
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #91
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

More pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      06-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #92
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Turned out amazing - quite a transformation! Looks super aggressive and sporty.

Thanks for taking the time to detail the build and provide pics along the way, it's been a great thread to follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #93
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

So very impressive! Take some time now to enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #94
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Turned out amazing - quite a transformation! Looks super aggressive and sporty.

Thanks for taking the time to detail the build and provide pics along the way, it's been a great thread to follow.
Many thanks for following the journal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
So very impressive! Take some time now to enjoy it!
Thanks! I am quite happy with the end result. We are still refining the tune as there are a few throttle response issues, but holistically, I am massively pleased with the project outcome. Stage-2 is very much underway, more to come...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #95
flacofeo07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw x5 3.0si

Wow such an amazing transformation and finally someone has done it I've been looking for two years now actually 3 years for someone to be able to do this on this BMW X5 3.0 2008 and I am dying to do some modifications like these I am very interested in doing some of the things you did on your vehicle if you don't mind please email me if can.and again your car looks so amazing and I'm sure it has great performance enjoy it enjoy every minute of it and I am looking forward to your future stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #96
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Very clean and much more aggressive looking! Now do her a favor and swap to LCI tails!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #97
BiGJZ74
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si Jet Black

Hows the tuning coming? Get it dynoed yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #98
M.FriedmanFast
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE

All,

Apologies for the lapse in communication and therefore updates; there is a very good explanation for such - brace yourselves. Approximately 1 week following the conclusion of the build, several operating concerns arose, beginning with an entirely erratic throttle response and a lack of boost and power. Naturally, I began with mechanical diagnostics and found several boost leaks, specifically from the blower exhaust to the engine block. We rectified this as well as a few other leaks and retested. Unfortunately, the power issue persisted; the car was (and remains) under-powered to stock form. Given that we employed the ESS N52 kit for the Z4, the package did not present a mechanical blow off valve, rather (and somewhat cleverly) utilizes cam phasing to build and relieve boost. Diagnostics did show that the exhaust cam was not phasing and was in essence stuck, which would not allow the car to build boost nor access ECU maps that would allow for normal power generation. So, we replaced every freaking VANOS component, and yet, the issue remains.

Keep in mind, two separate shops have attempted to fix the issue, GMP and more recently, Performance Technic, both of which are quality operations. Now, for the predicate of my tirade: after having examined all possible mechanical failure modes, what remains must be ECU and / or tune related. And now, onto ESS - who prior to this adventure, I had a fair amount of respect for. To be fair, they were clear from the beginning in not warrantying the custom application, nor guaranteeing that it would work. However, one would think that they would be intrinsically motivated to support the initiative given that I in essence performed R&D that would potentially and considerably expand their addressable market for the N52 kit.

Let's begin with the tune circus. The first tune dispatched bricked the car (I only recently found out about this amidst a discussion as to whether or not the ECU is permanently corrupted). The second tune worked, however only for a week or so prior to the aforementioned operating concerns arising. Throughout this process, I have challenged ESS to determine whether or not the issue could be tune related, moreover whether or not the supplied files were in fact appropriate to the X5 platform; furthermore, if not, to develop one that is. That I would gladly compensate them for writing a custom tune goes without saying - clearly, I am not cost sensitive. Rather than a definitive answer, I have received vacillating responses and half-ass attempts that smack of either incompetence or risk mitigation (which is absurd as I clearly understand and appreciate the bespoke nature of the project - hence, all risk lies with me, not them). In the final analysis, I have employed my good friend and BMW soothsayer Raza of RK Autowerks to consult and rectify the situation.

I am convinced that the initial ESS tune (that which bricked the car) resulted in irrevocable ECU damage, and is the root cause for the several operating concerns that masqueraded as mechanical failures. I am unsure as to the impact of the second tune, but through keen powers of deduction, can conclude that it did not help the fare. We will now replace the ECU, write a bespoke tune and evaluate performance thereafter.

Caveat Emptor comes to mind, as does Lemon's law. My optimism for the project remains, however I want to make it perfectly clear to any other remotely considering a similar SC installation: the ESS kit, but for the blower itself, IS ENTIRELY INCOMPATIBLE with the e70. Furthermore, ESS will not, implicitly or explicitly, support bespoke efforts to rectify what should be a relatively mundane matter of writing custom code. I won't disclose what the diagnostic process has cost, yet this warning should serve as sufficient notice. I will provide an update after the ECU and tune work has been completed. If that doesn't work, I am going straight to Stage-II, which will be a fully bored and stroked motor, still deciding on the platform.

Not for the faint of heart indeed, but fun nonetheless
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #99
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Eek, sorry to hear. I hope the RK guys are able to take care of you and the ECU is a painless fix. Nothing great is ever easy.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0