XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea your practically getting a new lease on life for the truck !

New warranty as well.

I wish I could be so lucky! Just as long nobody got hurt, perhaps it would happen up in the hills far away from anybody . Mmmmmm could only dream!

Better that then them sticking it to you after warranty!

Make sure you go through it with a fine tooth comb! Their bound to miss something! Vacuum lines or God knows what! Happened to me then they try and tell me it was my vanos failing when all it turned out to be was a vacuum line they forgot to install after fixing the valve cover gasket!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealership and they so far are replacing the engine, transmission, drive shaft (obviously), exhaust, oil pan, and who knows what other small parts in the bottom of that car.

I gotta believe this is going to be a $15-$20k repair at this point. They said they ordered the parts including engine with overnight delivery and estimated mid next week for completing the repair. 9 or 10 days on this repair seems really optimistic.

I plan on taking a look at the damage with my own eyes tomorrow and taking some picture to at least understand what is going on. Who knows what other type of damage there might be. I just have a feeling this will be more than a 1 visit repair before things are somewhat back to normal.
Sorry for your trouble Dawgman (go Dawgs!), but this is just laughable from afar in terms of BMW's screw-up...they had your X5 in the shop for inspection and basically said 'it's good to go' only to have it fail just a year later. And now they need to replace your engine, transmission, etc. When the hell are these fools gonna figure it out? They should have just eaten the cost to replace your drive-shaft...instead they're out considerably more $.

I guess we'll all pay for this next time we buy a vehicle from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #25
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Because the shitty thing is they'd rather replace a handful of parts with the rare exception of an engine being worst case scenario, etc vs having to admit a recall for thousands and thousands of these trucks, giving service loaners, etc and generally having to admit a fault. Instead they pass the expenses and risk onto us...truckbreaks down and you'll have to pay for towing, someone gets injured when 50#'s of metal goes flying and your insurance will cover it if someone gets hurt. People < Profits.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #26
Dawgman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Blessing and a curse at this point. Are you having it done at BMW of Bellevue or Seattle?
Well put. I think if it was a new car, it would be more of a curse. Having over 70k miles on it probably helps the resell value down the road. Probably still going to sell it once my extended warranty is up in another year. That has definitely paid for itself. Not sure I want to drive this thing without being covered as I will be up to over $30k in repairs in the last 2 years. Luckily it has all been covered, but sad to think about.

Having at done at Bellevue mainly because I have the paper trail with them telling me everything would be covered when they originally declined replacing this. First SA I spoke with sounded shocked when I called in from the side of the freeway and said she had never heard of anything like this. SA who called me back said I was the third failed DS this week and they have had several in the past 2 months. Routine deal for him and he has been great to deal with.

My personal SA saw me there today and turned around and walked the other way. Great service. Have had run ins (big disagreement) with the shop foreman in the past, so not a huge fan. Would have preferred to go to Seattle but needed to go to Bellevue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've gone to both in the past, but them and a few indies left a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I've just started doing my own work. I recently made buddies with a guy who works at BMW of Seattle, so I've taken it there a few times for BMW's half hearted "recall" things, otherwise I still do it myself. Your situation is above what I'd do at home though, so I can understand going to a place that already has the most history with the vehicle. The only concern I'd have is that they're only going to be replacing the short block, which means they'll likely be swapping 70k accessories, tubes, etc back onto there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:27 AM   #28
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Blimey! I just had my CV boot replaced yesterday. Had mechanic check the joint and everything was fine.

Hope this don't effect X5 35D.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #29
Qarban
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 and E70 X5M

Just curious if any X5M had this kind of driveshaft failure yet? Anyone?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #30
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

I had my driveshaft replaced as well and had posted a thread months back when I was having issues with my 2010 X5 M shifting weird and the dealerships mechanic couldn't figure out what it was until they escalated it to one of the Apprentice techs and did find that the drive shaft was at fault then took care of it finally after 2 weeks. The funny thing was that's what I told the dealership it was after sharing my issue on this forum and a member contacted me and said that's what his ended up being so I think they felt stupid about that. Glad to hear you or anyone else didn't get hurt and think it's really shitty that they haven't done a full blown recall on this already instead of just waiting for them to fail and hoping nobody gets killed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Mine broke in March. It was the final straw and I traded it for a truck.

BMW has their heads so far up their asses on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #32
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Sorry to hear about that Rennis. I saw your X5 around town a few times and at the Sammamish boat launch. Sweet ride. What kind of truck did you get?

BMW has no idea the ill will it is creating with its customers over this. There is a huge negative instinsic value they are not adding to this formula with driving long term customers away and letting thousands of people tell their horror stories, further steering future potential customers to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #33
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

BMW is just doing the math, cheaper to replace a few broken shafts and ancillary pieces that to recall them all.

You aren't BMW's customer, the dealership is. Thats my cynical opinion
      05-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #34
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon
BMW is just doing the math, cheaper to replace a few broken shafts and ancillary pieces that to recall them all.

You aren't BMW's customer, the dealership is. Thats my cynical opinion

Yea well the down side with them posting record sales month over month making the customer happy becomes less and less important as their chasing numbers.

Recalls cost million and millions of dollars and the airbag recall is a big one, if the magic number is not met for failures you'll see an extended warranty like on the turbos.

Funny thing is when that bell curve happens when customers are tired of the quality issues and the sales start dwindling and it will they will be kicking themselves !
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #35
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that Rennis. I saw your X5 around town a few times and at the Sammamish boat launch. Sweet ride. What kind of truck did you get?
Thanks. I got a new F-150. It's pretty awesome for a truck. I miss the X5 when it comes to driving around town but the truck is better for a lot of things I need from my daily.

Agreed with others. BMW is playing a numbers game. What they are missing out on is the customer loyalty factor and my honest belief that they're playing roulette with this issue as it relates to passenger safety. They could easily issue another TSB and recall them without calling it a recall.

As for customer loyalty, this will hurt them. I don't know how bad but it will. For a long time I saw myself in a M4 as my next daily. I love those cars. That won't happen now. I don't trust the brand and my dealer service experience was also bad, on the whole. (Like OP, BMW Bellevue.) I'll probably never buy a BMW again and between myself and my wife we've had a lot of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #36
rennis
Captain
Rep

As an aside - if anyone is looking for a well cared for X5 that's under CPO warranty through August with brand new turbos, injectors, transmission, oil pan, and a whole bunch of other stuff, I know where you can get one for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #37
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Funny, I have been looking at the M4's as well. This is my 4th BMW and definitely the most problematic by a long shot. The goal was this car or a new M X5, an M4, and a truck in the next year or two. Might have to realign those goals now.

My buddy has a new F150 and they are nice. Drives nice on the freeway. Never been a Ford guy, but I am pretty impressed.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #38
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Wow, I am actually considering the F150 as a replacement. I need to haul stuff up to our cottage and you can't beat the versatility of a pickup.
      05-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #39
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My garage consists of the X5M, a 328ci, 740iL, TL1000R motorcycle...and a Harley F150. Seems to be the way to go
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #40
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

After reading this thread and have asked back in March, while completing the injectors' recall, for a drive shaft check with the traditional response 'no recall and everything is good'; I finally called in the shop and the truck is in this Friday.
There's a subtle rumbling I wrongly blamed on the tires but, didn't want to risk it anymore.

Is BMW really waiting for owners' call when the recall is out? Agree with gambling approach.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #41
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Wow, I am actually considering the F150 as a replacement. I need to haul stuff up to our cottage and you can't beat the versatility of a pickup.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It lacks a couple of creature comforts of the X5 and despite huge improvements in fit and finish it's still a Ford. But overall it's a great vehicle, and the technology is miles ahead of any E70, and soon to be even more for Sync 3 when Ford releases the Apple Carplay update later this year. For power the 3.5L is no slouch. In a stop light drag race it would hang with a 50i I'm pretty sure.

The thing I miss most about the BMW is the tranny. That ZF is amazing and the 6 speed in the F-150 isn't bad for a truck, but nothing compares to that 8 speed.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #42
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea well the down side with them posting record sales month over month making the customer happy becomes less and less important as their chasing numbers.

Recalls cost million and millions of dollars and the airbag recall is a big one, if the magic number is not met for failures you'll see an extended warranty like on the turbos.

Funny thing is when that bell curve happens when customers are tired of the quality issues and the sales start dwindling and it will they will be kicking themselves !
What is this extended warranty on the turbos you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #43
Dawgman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I've gone to both in the past, but them and a few indies left a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I've just started doing my own work. I recently made buddies with a guy who works at BMW of Seattle, so I've taken it there a few times for BMW's half hearted "recall" things, otherwise I still do it myself. Your situation is above what I'd do at home though, so I can understand going to a place that already has the most history with the vehicle. The only concern I'd have is that they're only going to be replacing the short block, which means they'll likely be swapping 70k accessories, tubes, etc back onto there.
Engine is already pulled and all parts have arrived. It is a full long block replacement, but putting my turbos, lines, etc. on it. Called it a new transmission but when I pressed, said it is a remanufactured transmission which I already knew. Played word games between refurbished and remanufactured. When I asked if they were replacing the tranny with a refurbished, he said no, it is new. Evidentally, new=remanufactured to them. I guess better than a tranny with 70k miles on it.

New exhaust too, must have ripped that apart pretty good. They feel they are on track for being done mid next week, which would be 10 days start to finish. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #44
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Engine is already pulled and all parts have arrived. It is a full long block replacement, but putting my turbos, lines, etc. on it. Called it a new transmission but when I pressed, said it is a remanufactured transmission which I already knew. Played word games between refurbished and remanufactured. When I asked if they were replacing the tranny with a refurbished, he said no, it is new. Evidentally, new=remanufactured to them. I guess better than a tranny with 70k miles on it.

New exhaust too, must have ripped that apart pretty good. They feel they are on track for being done mid next week, which would be 10 days start to finish. We shall see.
wow, makes me a little concerned about pushing mine. what is the cost estimate of the job?
Appreciate 0