XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #67
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E70

dual oil catch can here

waiting to have time to install the hoses
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      02-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #68
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I used 16mm (5/8”) hose on everything. It’s a tight fit and takes a wiggle but will go on. Your setup looks great! I’ve had mine on for 500miles now and it seems to be working fine, but I’m barely collecting any oil and only on the driver’s side. The passenger side is dry. I will try moving the baffles to the intake side and if that doesn’t change anything then I’ll check the inside of the outlet for oil and determine if the can isn’t working
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #69
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I used 16mm (5/8”) hose on everything. It’s a tight fit and takes a wiggle but will go on. Your setup looks great! I’ve had mine on for 500miles now and it seems to be working fine, but I’m barely collecting any oil and only on the driver’s side. The passenger side is dry. I will try moving the baffles to the intake side and if that doesn’t change anything then I’ll check the inside of the outlet for oil and determine if the can isn’t working
My passenger side is not dry but has very little oil compared to the driverside. The driverside pulls a lot of vacuum since it connects both intake manifolds.

My setup was capturing oil but apparently not enough. A good place to check if the catch-can is filtering well, is the CCV upper check valve. There shouldn't be any oil building up there. I switched to a catch-can that has a different baffle design and larger diameter hoses. Hopefully this will help.

FYI, I do hard pulls on the highway all the time so the catch-can is getting tested under high vacuum conditions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #70
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I'm still not getting much oil in the can and have switched the baffles over to the intake side. I also checked the outlet hose and found no oil in the outlet. I'm unsure what's going on, I may install my passenger side baffles on the driver's side so it has baffles on the inlet and outlet...in the mean time I made my custom carbon fiber engine cover that still needs a bit of work...

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 2
TTV8M113.50
      02-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #71
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow you really got some skills...nice custom work!

If you're not finding any oil in those places then there might be a leak. check all the connection. Before doing the catchcans did you find any oil intake pre-turbo?

So I put a better catch can that had better baffle and I'm still getting oil by the upper checkvalve. This is after driving for a couple of weeks and doing an autocross.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #72
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Maybe you need to get into boost more ;-)

Seriously though. Maybe the vacuum line needs to be smaller as it's not getting enough vacuum? Maybe too much vacuum line is creating issues and you're losing efficiency of flow? My Arrington can is huge, I don't recall my hose diameter but it's working overall. Think like a Shopvac...I'd imagine it's better to go smaller diameter hose vs larger so it'll suck better.

I've mentioned this before, but there are two systems available for the N54...BMS makes a setup that only works under boost, then RB makes a setup that works out of boost. I'm not smart enough to figure it out, but we need to find a way that'll cover us on both sides because I have to empty the GF's 535xiT every month vs mine that I could probably get away with doing it every three months.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

http://www.rbturbo.com/rb-n54-external-pcv-kit
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #73
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I had previously just been checking the outlet hose and could t find oil in it but the check valve does have oil pooling in it so I guess the vapor is just running straight through? The cans I bought said BMS on the listing on eBay so I bought them and later realized they were knock offs...”BMS Style.” They look exactly like bmw ones and the baffles are the same...not sure why the setup isn’t working.. the interior of the hose is actually smaller than stock so it should work...unless I get some super tiny ones with actual fittings.
The cover was my practice for making my CF intakes...hopefully it works out this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #74
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’m using 3/4 ID hoses and before that 5/8. Both sizes had no problem with vacuum flow. Leaks will reduce vacuum flow a lot. When I found that my passenger catch-can barely had oil, I also found that I had a leak at one of the connecting points.

Also are you in HI...wouldn’t this be summertime there? The winter is when you’ll find a lot of vapor/condensation.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #75
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I had previously just been checking the outlet hose and could t find oil in it but the check valve does have oil pooling in it so I guess the vapor is just running straight through? The cans I bought said BMS on the listing on eBay so I bought them and later realized they were knock offs...”BMS Style.” They look exactly like bmw ones and the baffles are the same...not sure why the setup isn’t working.. the interior of the hose is actually smaller than stock so it should work...unless I get some super tiny ones with actual fittings.
The cover was my practice for making my CF intakes...hopefully it works out this time.
I looked into the eBay knockoff ones as well, but having read multiple posts on N54Tech about them leaking, no efficiency, etc I opted to not get them. You should look into getting a couple real ones to see if that helps. I'm still leaning towards using a pair of the ECS ones since they have dipsticks but then again that's just one more potential vacuum leak, so that's why I haven't decided until I research other users results.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #76
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiemaniac View Post
waiting to have time to install the hoses
We run manifold and turbine blankets on all our diesels and they are major benefits for a lot of reasons, are yours custom made or......?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #77
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bumping this to see how everyones setup is going, equal amounts of oil collection in each can, changes in diameter size since your original design, etc. I've got my truck torn apart doing downpipes, adjusting wastegates and decided I should do a final on my catch can setup...it's becoming frustratin g quickly.

My temp install:

Drivers side valve cover fed oil into the catch can, then the catch can had vacuum pulling from the "tree" which means is getting vacuum from the drivers side intake manifold, drivers side pre-turbo and that corrugated line that runs from the tree over the turbos and ultimately connects to the passenger side valve cover. It looks deceiving since they share a common mounting point, but that corrugated hosing doesn't connect in anyway to the passenger side pre-turbo vacuum system, it just there for support. The passenger side turbo pulls oil from the passenger side head, hence why I'm guessing most are seeing more oil in their drivers side catch cans...drivers side is getting vacuum from 3 points while the passenger side is getting vacuum from 1 point.

I'm trying to reroute this to make vacuum equal on each side but I don't see a way around it since we can't delete the tree and it's internal check valves without screwing up other things. Heading back into the garage but looking forward to updates while I pull out more hair.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      04-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #78
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If you want to go full custom...you can easily find a check valve that can handle our boost level.

I can only imagine the amount of people who feel their oil catch-can is working well; just by looking at the canister and seeing oil in it. We recently did walnut blasting on my brother's 30kmiles N54 Z4 with an oil catch can. Yes there was oil in the canister so he assumed it was working well. Pulling apart his intake system told a different story.

We can easily check if our catch cans are working well by pulling the upper hose going to the driverside. If you see oil pooling at the upper check valve, the catchcan is not filtering/separating well.

BTW, I've tried 2 different types of catch cans with bad results by the check valve. Hopefully the next type I try will show better results.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #79
pito2121
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmers!!

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Which would be more beneficial if at all. One 3 port can for both sides or two separate cans, one for each bank?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #80
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

For the sake of tubing, I tried finding a cam with two outlets and one inlet but they're usually the other way around. Mishimoto makes a three port can but it's ports are opposite of what we need so I've shelved it for now.

Last edited by m5james; 05-02-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #81
pito2121
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
For the sake of tubing, I tried finding a cab with two inlets and one outlet but they're usually the other way around. Mishimoto makes a three port can but it's ports are opposite of what we need so I've shelved it for now.
What difference does it make having two outlets as opposed to two inlets. Wouldn't the vacuum and collection be the same regardless if your just installed a T on the inlet with separate oulets. Otherwise you would have separate inlets and still run a T for both outlets. No? Also, the Mishimoto 3port CC has two inlets on the either side of the outlet. Is the design your looking for?

Last edited by pito2121; 05-02-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #82
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

- The passenger turbo pulls vacuum from the passenger VC.
- The drivers side has a 3 way tree that pulls vacuum from the passenger side intake manifold (hence the crossover pipe), drivers turbo and drivers side VC.

I don't wanna reengineer the system and delete that 3 way which has one way check valves. People running two cans have noted that the passenger side has less oil in it than the drivers side, so in an effort to keep vacuum strengths the same, I'd rather find a can that has two outlets and one inlet. This way also means the engine dressing cover will still easily fit. I'm going to keep 90% of the stock routing, just replace the hoses with higher quality and then find said can. Google searches took me to a website that sells cans for Mustangs but I'm still looking around since it's 3-4x as much as a Mishimoto.

I'm open for ideas though, I might be over thinking this and can use the Mishimoto 3 port after all or maybe running two cans is still the best way.

Last edited by m5james; 05-02-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #83
pito2121
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
- The passenger turbo pulls vacuum from the passenger VC.
- The drivers side has a 3 way tree that pulls vacuum from the passenger side intake manifold (hence the crossover pipe), drivers turbo and drivers side VC.

I don't wanna reengineer the system and delete that 3 way which has one way check valves. People running two cans have noted that the passenger side has less oil in it than the drivers side, so in an effort to keep vacuum strengths the same, I'd rather find a can that has two outlets and one inlet. This way also means the engine dressing cover will still easily fit. I'm going to keep 90% of the stock routing, just replace the hoses with higher quality and then find said can. Google searches took me to a website that sells cans for Mustangs but I'm still looking around since it's 3-4x as much as a Mishimoto.

I'm open for ideas though, I might be over thinking this and can use the Mishimoto 3 port after all or maybe running two cans is still the best way.
I see and I got ya fully. I'm going to do a little digging myself. I'll post back if I find anything.

Actually, what if you ran two catch cans, one two port and one three port. Two port on the passenger side and three port on the drivers side. Run the INS and OUTS on both as if they were two port but the third port on the drivers side run another cross over tube from a T to the IN line on the passenger catch can. That would have twice the IN line on the dirtier side of the engine and only a single on the drivers side. You guys think that would affect vacuum too much or maybe a check valve is needed for the second cross over tube in the system.

Last edited by pito2121; 05-02-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #84
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

I was looking at this a while back, but as I've gone WMI, running catch cans is pretty fruitless. The existing separators are quite efficient at dropping oil vapour out of your crankcase breathers, which in turn keeps it out of your intake.

I'd only bother with external catchment if you're seeing traces in intercoolers.
      05-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #85
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Don't waste your money on the mishimoto or any similar design catch can. The level of vacuum being pulled is greater than it can handle. Plenty of oil still passes. Tried this on two different types of catch cans with 1/2 and 3/4 od hoses.

Don't get me wrong...it provides better filtration than stock. But not to my standards...especially since my car is stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #86
pito2121
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Don't waste your money on the mishimoto or any similar design catch can. The level of vacuum being pulled is greater than it can handle. Plenty of oil still passes. Tried this on two different types of catch cans with 1/2 and 3/4 od hoses.

Don't get me wrong...it provides better filtration than stock. But not to my standards...especially since my car is stock.
Which cans would u recommend? Have u seen the APR's? They are pricey but might work
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #87
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pito2121 View Post
Which cans would u recommend? Have u seen the APR's? They are pricey but might work
I just checked out APR's catch can and that design is exactly what I was planning to build. Having multiple filtration levels and forcing the gasses to go down then back up.
I'm going to try an air compressor water/oil separator. I found one for cheap and just got fitting for it. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #88
pito2121
Private
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I just checked out APR's catch can and that design is exactly what I was planning to build. Having multiple filtration levels and forcing the gasses to go down then back up.
I'm going to try an air compressor water/oil separator. I found one for cheap and just got fitting for it. I'll report back.
With the check valves on the drivers side and people reporting hardly any oil in the passenger side, is it worth having a passenger side catch can. I'm thinking of going with the APR set up but @ $250 each its a bit steep.
Appreciate 0