XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #45
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised how much I've caught in the 1.5 weeks I've been running it. It started as only vapor and then water to the point where I thought maybe something was done wrong, but now it's full on brown oil and has easily coated to bottom to be about 1/8th in fluid depth. I'm happy I did it and wish I'd done it sooner, now I just need to decide on a compete system and do both sides. Once I decide on complete parts and layout, I'm going to replace every line to ensure a trouble free system vs the plastic corrugated sections that becomes VERY brittle. As for diameter, the hosing I'm using came with the setup that Travis included and it was a tight fit over the stock connections, so I'm not going to change what I don't know.

I don't know the details of our CCV vs say an N54, but I know BMS' setup is basically made to only work under boost while the RB setup works out of boost. I have to empty the GF's RB/Mishimoto catch can at least once a month. I'm curious if our system is catching under boost or out of boost and what can be done, even if two systems are needed like some N54 guys run, to be able to catch everything.
Yes, our system will continue to catch oil under boost since the main vacuum source is coming from the pre-turbo intake duct. The CCV hoses that have boost pressure has a check valve to prevent boost from entering the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #46
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

So looks like 5/8 ID hose running from stock spots but then you'd have to match up with the catch can? Is there a reason you guys went with the Moshimoto over BMS or ECS?

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #47
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
So looks like 5/8 ID hose running from stock spots but then you'd have to match up with the catch can? Is there a reason you guys went with the Moshimoto over BMS or ECS?
I didn't do a whole lot of research in choosing a catch-can. The catch-can was actually for my other car but when saw how much oil was going into the intake of the S63, I decided to use what I had on hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #48
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

The Arrington can I have now came with a premade setup I bought from Travis. I'd looked at the BMS setup for the GF's N54 but then I read about what the BMS vs RB setups and decided the RB setup was better for her type of driving, which happened to come with the Mishimoto can. I like the Mishimoto can because I can see how well it's working, but I like the one ECS makes due to having a simple dipstick vs checking randomly like I have to now with my Arrington and Mishimoto cans. The Arrington is far easier to unscrew, but it's huge in comparison to the Mishimoto, so I'm likely going to ditch the Arrington for two smaller cans that can easily be accessed/unscrewed and light enough to be secured to the already flimsy firewall barrier that we have.

As much as I like the dipstick or have read about cans that have a sight glass/side tube, the problem is some of these features can present yet another vacuum leak if not checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #49
jandref321
Captain
Rep

So...I’ve been looking at videos of N63 walnut blasting and pics of intake valves caked with oil. Now regretting spending $300 on new bushings when should be buying a couple of catch cans and hoses. The BMS can is small and works with 16mm hose...it looks like we should be running 16mm or 5/8” hoses also. I’m looking at at BMS can and 10’ of heater hose from HPS...$135 for can and $65 for hose. Silicon heater hose is better than vacuum hose right? You guys know if there is a way to walnut blast without dropping the whole engine? Maybe an engine brace and dropping the subframe?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #50
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

Here is what I'm thinking for a dual catch can system using Mishimotos:

Fittings:
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...22%2BBarb&th=1

Heater hose:
http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps...15mm-16mm.html

Two catch cans:
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMB.../dp/B00OBEP51K

I just replaced my CCV lines, so I can use the old ones for the connections to the car, and pull these off if I sell the car down the road.

The big problem is the mounting. There is no good location on the passenger side, due to the + power port. I'm thinking about mounting it to the cross connection by using the bolt that holds the upper part of the cross connection to the car, because it will have to come off when I take out the intake pipe anyway. I'll just make an aluminum mount that I weld to the catch can mount. It might have to be slightly angled, and the hoses will have to point down.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #51
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I finally got the cans, the brackets, and the hose ready to go...just need the time and hopefully verify some dimensions.

Philly42, can you tell me the outer dimensions of the hook up points (on the tree and on the crankcase point)? I want to verify that the hose will fit over those points before I start tearing everything apart. The hose is 16mm ID but will fit snug over the can's 19.7mm OD nozzles...I'm worried anything to much larger and I'll need to order different hose.

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #52
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I love how pristine your engine bay looks. Mine needs a good cleaning.
I'll get those measurements tonight. It may be difficult for me to get the measurement for the crankcase, but I'll measure the ID of a spare hose I had for that port.

Where did you get your hose? It looks flexible which is what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #53
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

I'm really jealous of you X5M guys. There isn't nearly that much space in my 550i to mount the catch cans where you are putting them.

Keep the info coming. I'll find a place at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #54
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I love how pristine your engine bay looks. Mine needs a good cleaning.
I'll get those measurements tonight. It may be difficult for me to get the measurement for the crankcase, but I'll measure the ID of a spare hose I had for that port.

Where did you get your hose? It looks flexible which is what I'm looking for.
Thanks...measuring from the exterior of the OE hose it looks to be 20-21mm which may work out. I tried running the hose around in the bay and, while it is flexible, some of the turns require big loops to pull off...which is the problem with mounting so high. I put them in the only spot that allows me to unscrew the bottoms freely and pull them out. Might have to rotate the canister and point the nozzles inward to account for the hoses.

I got the hoses on eBay I think. Amazon sells them also HPS silicon heater hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
I'm really jealous of you X5M guys. There isn't nearly that much space in my 550i to mount the catch cans where you are putting them.

I wonder if it is possible to retrofit the ///M Intake or use the RK one. It looks like the biggest problem is the location of the oil cap on the 50i, but otherwise the engine setup is the same and the location of the turbo inlet should be similar.

EDIT: just noticed you said 550i not X5 50i...yeah you guys don’t have much space

Last edited by jandref321; 01-04-2018 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Add edit notes
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #55
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When I had all the pieces apart, I didn't measure the OD
With an .6 inch or 15mm ID, the OD might be around 19mm.

(sorry the pics are not attaching)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #56
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Space is tight coming from the crankcase so I needed an elbow shaped hose. This is the hose I picked up at autozone. Length A Code 70646
I believe the IDs are different sizes on both ends but one fits in the crankcase vent port.
(again, I'm not sure why my pics are not attaching. They are small...only 15kb)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:24 AM   #57
jandref321
Captain
Rep

So I got some time after work today to measure and cut the hoses with a quick test install without actually tearing everything apart. It appears that my original direction for the nozzles wont work. The nozzles will need to face perpendicular to the travel of the vehicle or maybe even slightly to the rear. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll attempt the actual install and hopefully it all goes together well. Once I confirm the direction and get it setup I'll have to make new brackets. Also hoping that I don't compromise the ability to unscrew the base.

Also...I've looked at different catchcan designs online and some have baffles on outlet while others have it on inlet. Anyone know which is best?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:29 AM   #58
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw E70

hi

Keep me posted!!
I want to do the same set up on my X5 50I
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #59
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I got some time after work today to measure and cut the hoses with a quick test install without actually tearing everything apart. It appears that my original direction for the nozzles wont work. The nozzles will need to face perpendicular to the travel of the vehicle or maybe even slightly to the rear. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll attempt the actual install and hopefully it all goes together well. Once I confirm the direction and get it setup I'll have to make new brackets. Also hoping that I don't compromise the ability to unscrew the base.

Also...I've looked at different catchcan designs online and some have baffles on outlet while others have it on inlet. Anyone know which is best?
I found that the elbow hose helped with that tight areas. Any chance using a heat gun on your current hose could help form it custom shape for that area?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #60
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep

hi

you need to delete your stock air box then you will have space for the oil catch cans. check my custom Air intake on my X5 50i.
Soon I will start with the dual oil catch can project!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #61
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post

m

check the pics I upload here for airbox delete and then will have space for dual oil catch can
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #62
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep

hi

any ideas where to ge those fittings used on the M5 pictures??
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #63
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I finally got around to installing one of the catch cans tonight. It didn't go together the way I planned, but luckily the 16mm ID hoses fit well and the original bracket also turned out to fit with the hose routing. I'm not going to drive the car until I get this all put together. I'll install the other can tomorrow if I have time.

Intake attaching point:

Crankcase attaching point:

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #64
jandref321
Captain
Rep

I finally finished and threw it back together. The passenger side was a huge huge pain in the bum. The tolerances are so close with the hoses on the passenger side and you have to get the order correct when putting it all back together. The hood does close no problems despite the ridiculous look of the hoses strewn about. I know I can do elbows but I hate the look of hose clamps all over the place. I'm considering actually cutting longer hoses for the driver side so nothing is sitting on the heat shield. I'll decide after running it for some time.

I have the car up on stands right now to fix my brake paint job and also need to update the Powerflex bushing DIY with more pictures so I won't get to test the catch cans until probably Thursday. I'll update here.

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      01-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #65
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks great! The whole system won’t be noticeable if you can get the cover over it. Sorry I couldn’t get you the OD size on that port. Some big issues popped up with my other car.

I changed some of the hoses to clear ones to see how efficient it’s removing oil. After running the setup for a while, the hoses are now dark with oil. The catch cans are capturing oil though I expected more considering how dark the hoses became. I’m going to pull out the baffled oil catch can on my Z3M and swap it in the X5M. The baffled design might separate the oil better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #66
zombiemaniac
Private
Rep

hose

Quote:
I finally got around to installing one of the catch cans tonight. It didn't go together the way I planned, but luckily the 16mm ID hoses fit well and the original bracket also turned out to fit with the hose routing. I'm not going to drive the car until I get this all put together. I'll install the other can tomorrow if I have time.

Intake attaching point:

Crankcase attaching point:
you use the same size hose on everything?
what size hose it is in inches?
building my dual oil cans as well
Appreciate 0