XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #23
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Here's a link to my Dropbox with pics of his instructions and the parts that I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/leku8cif4...lbtq2dJha?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Here's a link to my Dropbox with pics of his instructions and the parts that I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/leku8cif4...lbtq2dJha?dl=0
Thanks James

I'm not completely shore but this line appears to be connected to the intake manifold. If so I would assume it has a check-valve. Do you know if there's a check-valve at any of these points?

Sorry for the huge pic
Attached Images

Last edited by philly42; 09-25-2017 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

GF's been driving the X5M while waiting for a replacement engine for her 535xiT, sorry I haven't checked. Give me another week or so and then I'll delete this reply with an appropriate one
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #26
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So hose #2 appears to assist in evacuating crankcase gasses. Though it should only help when there is no boost. Upon boost, there should be a check-valve to prevent a positive pressure in the crankcase system.

Could this hose be plugged so it's eliminated from the crankcase system? Thus vacuum will only be done through the hose connecting to the intake pre-charged pipe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

BMS has their N54 catch can that works under boost only, while the RB/Mishimoto setup works the rest of the time. I only did the RB setup on my GF's 535xiT and it works awesome while needing to be emptied about once a month, so I know it's working.

I don't know which is the best route to go with the S63, nor do I know if it cab be plugged somehow. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can give their input on what's the best way to go about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #28
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMS has their N54 catch can that works under boost only, while the RB/Mishimoto setup works the rest of the time. I only did the RB setup on my GF's 535xiT and it works awesome while needing to be emptied about once a month, so I know it's working.

I don't know which is the best route to go with the S63, nor do I know if it cab be plugged somehow. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can give their input on what's the best way to go about it.
I've been busy dealing with other issues/maintenance items with the car that I haven't got to the oil catch-can setup yet. There's also not much free time since I have two little kids.
I pulled hose #2 from where it connects to the crankcase system. (see the attached pic) this might be a check-valve/one-way-valve. There wasn't enough room for me to test it. However, if you still have that piece laying around it'll be easy to test. you should be able to suck air from it but not blow into it.

So if this connector has a check valve and you removed it from your setup, you shouldn't have any problems under normal driving. Though when in boost, positive pressure will be entering the crankcase system through pipes #1 and #2. you will also loose boost pressure.

This issue happens a lot when people convert an NA car to FI. It's easy to overlook some of the vacuum hoses that need to be modified to handle vacuum and boost.

Anyway, I hoping to install an oil catch can soon and will run some tests.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #29
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had some time to work on the car and pulled the crankcase lines out. So the driver-side "tree" looking piece has two check valves in it....one for each intake manifold. So boost pressure will be lost if this is removed.

With 3 kids birthday parties and an event to attend, I didn't have a lot of time for the oil catch. I was able to get it all connected but need to get a screw plug for one of the ports and find a place to permanently mount it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      10-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Other than having only two ports, that's the same Mishimoto I have on the GF's 535xiT; works great.

Last edited by m5james; 12-06-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #31
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's the same Mishimoto I have on the GF's 535xiT, works great.
Yeah, I like the design and how it's compact.

This is after driving 75 miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by philly42; 11-06-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #32
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xdrive

Has this been tried on a 550i N63? I have oil in my left crankcase vent, and that bank of exhaust port is really gummed up as a result.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #33
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
Has this been tried on a 550i N63? I have oil in my left crankcase vent, and that bank of exhaust port is really gummed up as a result.
The S63 and N63 seem to have similar crankcase ventilation systems. You should be able to do something similar.
I'll post measurements of the connector pieces so you don't have to guess what hose size is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #34
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To help incorporate an the oil catch can system, below are some measurements of the connector pieces.

I already had on a 3 port catch can but a 2 port should be fine.

Note that if your checkvalves are not operating correctly, it may trigger a throttle angle code, 002D2E. As a temporary fix, you can install an aftermarket check valve in the necessary line to replace the faulty original check valve.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #35
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for these measurements. I ordered a new set of crankcase ventilation hoses because BMW will cover them under extended warranty.

In your setup, did you have just one catch can? The N63 (not TU) that I have has independent CCV lines, each coming out of the crankcases and going into the intakes for the turbos. I'm not sure if I would need 2 catch cans or if I can join them somehow and then send them back to the individual intakes (or maybe just send to one intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #36
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Guys i am possible having PCV issues.
Truck smokes after heavy acceleration.
Burning oil smell, never had an issue until i gutted cats this weekend.
There was oil around all the pcv valves.
Any advice?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:07 AM   #37
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
Thanks for these measurements. I ordered a new set of crankcase ventilation hoses because BMW will cover them under extended warranty.

In your setup, did you have just one catch can? The N63 (not TU) that I have has independent CCV lines, each coming out of the crankcases and going into the intakes for the turbos. I'm not sure if I would need 2 catch cans or if I can join them somehow and then send them back to the individual intakes (or maybe just send to one intake.
I'm using two catch cans....one on each side. Though you can probably use one oil catch can that has two inlet ports. On the S63, the driverside will probably vent the most gasses. The vent hoses on both intake manifold banks pull gasses from the driverside crankcase.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #38
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
Guys i am possible having PCV issues.
Truck smokes after heavy acceleration.
Burning oil smell, never had an issue until i gutted cats this weekend.
There was oil around all the pcv valves.
Any advice?

Thanks
Your smoke issue might be with the valve seals.

FYI while testing things out with the crankcase ventilation system, the oil level dropped when vacuum was removed from the system. This test was done at idle and it dropped immediately. My point is that if your vacuum/pressure is off in your crankcase it could show an incorrect oil level. This could lead to overfilling with oil which could cause other issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #39
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Where are you guys putting your catch cans? I can't find a good place in my other-wise stock 550ix. I was using the smallest mishimoto cans.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #40
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not my picture but I've halfway installed my setup and mounted mine in this same location. I've read it's good to keep them close to engine heat and this location also gives plenty of room. My entire catch can is about the size of a Gatorade bottle with the bottom half that unscrews and I've still got plenty of room to unscrew and drain it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #41
BloomingtonFPV
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Does this mean taking off the stock air filters and running your own custom intakes?
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      12-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #42
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nope, you're just cutting the plastic tubing off a few pieces of stock piping. There's a connection on the driver's side head that connects to a 3-way T, bottom left corner in the picture above. You're gonna cut that corrugated section of tubing out between the head connection and the T. I found that using a heatgun helped soften the corrugated section before taking a razor blade and screw driver to remove it.

The head side will connect to the inlet of the catch can, the T side will connect to the outlet of the catch can. Catch cans vary, so they should be labeled. Other than my connections to the catch can being different, the layout looks exactly the same.

My current catch can is overkill in size, so I'm thinking about ordering two Mishimoto catch cans or the ECS ones since I like the dipstick vs having to unscrew it every week when it might not be needed that much.

Admittedly, I was intimidated by my own kit since there were no write-ups (I'm spoiled by Boeing giving step-by-step instructions to build everything), but once I got in there and started doing it, it all made sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 12-04-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #43
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's great to see more examples of this!

My thought as to why BMW chose to use that type of hose for the ventilation system is to catch oil. The numerous ripples in the stock hose creates turbulence and more surface to capture oil. It could be a "win-win" if you can find a similar type of hose to connect to the oil catch can. Personally I think that would be over-kill but if someone is looking to over-engineer, it could help.
Also keep in mind the size of hose being. Gasses would travel faster with hose with a smaller ID and slower with a larger ID. These are adjustments you can make if you feel the oil catch-can is loosing efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #44
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm surprised how much I've caught in the 1.5 weeks I've been running it. It started as only vapor and then water to the point where I thought maybe something was done wrong, but now it's full on brown oil and has easily coated to bottom to be about 1/8th in fluid depth. I'm happy I did it and wish I'd done it sooner, now I just need to decide on a compete system and do both sides. Once I decide on complete parts and layout, I'm going to replace every line to ensure a trouble free system vs the plastic corrugated sections that becomes VERY brittle. As for diameter, the hosing I'm using came with the setup that Travis included and it was a tight fit over the stock connections, so I'm not going to change what I don't know.

I don't know the details of our CCV vs say an N54, but I know BMS' setup is basically made to only work under boost while the RB setup works out of boost. I have to empty the GF's RB/Mishimoto catch can at least once a month. I'm curious if our system is catching under boost or out of boost and what can be done, even if two systems are needed like some N54 guys run, to be able to catch everything.
Appreciate 0