XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #67
Jax_415
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Hello

I'm new to the forum. I actually just picked up a 2013 x5m from the dealer here in Cali. It has the open recall for the air bag stated in the carfax but they still sold it to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #68
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

I just got off the phone with a dealer and they said the bags are coming in. They have their first one for sale. Said they are VIN specific on recall. The one in question is a northern 2011, so not sure how that works in the priority side of things. (I am vague on details because I might buy and dont want to tip anyone off, sorry

JAX_415, one would assume that it just hasn't trickled thru the system when you checked, be interesting to know if it shows good now on nhtsa website.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #69
Jax_415
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
I just got off the phone with a dealer and they said the bags are coming in. They have their first one for sale. Said they are VIN specific on recall. The one in question is a northern 2011, so not sure how that works in the priority side of things. (I am vague on details because I might buy and dont want to tip anyone off, sorry

JAX_415, one would assume that it just hasn't trickled thru the system when you checked, be interesting to know if it shows good now on nhtsa website.
Matt
I'm not sure. But carfax does say it has one open recall and it's for the air bag
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #70
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax_415 View Post
I'm not sure. But carfax does say it has one open recall and it's for the air bag
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Throw your VIN in that and see what it says.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #71
Jax_415
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Throw your VIN in that and see what it says.
Matt
It has NO open recall anymore lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #72
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Dealers selling them now.
Actually lots of them on the market.

I just purchased a 2013 X5 Premium Package (CPO with 41K miles).
Air bag done.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #73
oregon335iowner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35D

Good luck trying to trade your car in. I tried at 3 dealers. No takers on my 2013 x5m which is immaculate. This is a joke! A couple of dealers submitted bids and then backed out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #74
Beamin09X
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 4.8 Sport Package

Just bringing this back with my recent experience. I bought my '09 4.8 the end of January, just days before the recall was released. I was browsing this weekend, looking to see what kind of M's were out there and found one local. I was so excited and convinced myself I'd find a way to afford it. It was a 2010, 60k, Blue, just my type! Well digging in to it, it came from Canada and was traded in to a dealership up here in WA State just a month ago.

The NHTSA site wouldn't even recognize the VIN since it was from Canada. This recall situation never occurred to me before going to try to trade mine in. Then that was almost one of the first things they looked into with my vehicle. They briefly mentioned it as if it weren't too much of a concern. I couldn't help but reply with, "being only one year newer than mine, you don't think your car for sale outside is affected by the recall too?" As if I had just instilled some newfound wisdom in them, they decided to try to look it up. Again, being that it was from Canada, the VIN was unrecognizable in all of the different resources they used. He said, well if this X5M is affected, we can't legally sell it. Meanwhile I'm just thinking to myself, you took this in on trade w/o doing a single bit of research on it because you were too preoccupied in selling your new Lexus to the guy & probably gave him sh!t for trade-in. Despite all of this nonsense going in, they insultingly offer me $11K for mine due to the fact "they couldn't sell it & would have to send it to auction." I left there pretty heated with the whole situation and they promised to call me about the M and whether or not it needed airbags. Surprise; no call! So I check AutoTrader and their site, the car was removed!
'09 X5 4.8i // Sport // Cold weather // Napa leather // H.U.D // WeissLicht LED halos // WeissLicht LED fogs // WeissLicht LED plate lights // ECS paint matched kidney grilles // paint matched lower grille inserts // paint matched front reflectors // Muffler delete w/ quad tips // StopTech F/R slotted rotors // LCI tail lights
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #75
SakM_5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamin09X View Post
Just bringing this back with my recent experience. I bought my '09 4.8 the end of January, just days before the recall was released. I was browsing this weekend, looking to see what kind of M's were out there and found one local. I was so excited and convinced myself I'd find a way to afford it. It was a 2010, 60k, Blue, just my type! Well digging in to it, it came from Canada and was traded in to a dealership up here in WA State just a month ago.

The NHTSA site wouldn't even recognize the VIN since it was from Canada. This recall situation never occurred to me before going to try to trade mine in. Then that was almost one of the first things they looked into with my vehicle. They briefly mentioned it as if it weren't too much of a concern. I couldn't help but reply with, "being only one year newer than mine, you don't think your car for sale outside is affected by the recall too?" As if I had just instilled some newfound wisdom in them, they decided to try to look it up. Again, being that it was from Canada, the VIN was unrecognizable in all of the different resources they used. He said, well if this X5M is affected, we can't legally sell it. Meanwhile I'm just thinking to myself, you took this in on trade w/o doing a single bit of research on it because you were too preoccupied in selling your new Lexus to the guy & probably gave him sh!t for trade-in. Despite all of this nonsense going in, they insultingly offer me $11K for mine due to the fact "they couldn't sell it & would have to send it to auction." I left there pretty heated with the whole situation and they promised to call me about the M and whether or not it needed airbags. Surprise; no call! So I check AutoTrader and their site, the car was removed!

hate be a bearer of bad news but an 09 4.8 is only worth about 11k on a trade in. this is factoring the truck has about 70k miles on it. if its got anymore then 80k it may even be worth less.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #76
Beamin09X
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe a base model. You didn't factor in condition of the vehicle or all of the options. $15K is the number I got from multiple sites as trade-in. $11 was the auction value; what they could have given w/o the risk of losing money.
'09 X5 4.8i // Sport // Cold weather // Napa leather // H.U.D // WeissLicht LED halos // WeissLicht LED fogs // WeissLicht LED plate lights // ECS paint matched kidney grilles // paint matched lower grille inserts // paint matched front reflectors // Muffler delete w/ quad tips // StopTech F/R slotted rotors // LCI tail lights

Last edited by Beamin09X; 10-19-2016 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #77
SakM_5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamin09X View Post
Maybe a base model. You didn't factor in condition of the vehicle or all of the options. $15K is the number I got from multiple sites as trade-in. $11 was the auction value; what they could have given w/o the risk of losing money.

you cant use kelly bb, nada etc for trade in values. Dealers use auction and sometimes galves wholesale. when you plug in the car on them there is basically no adds on this car for options. So base or fully loaded your getting the same amount on trade in and 11k is about what it's worth to a dealer. they need to make a few $1000 profit selling it and might not even list it at NADA retail.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #78
Beamin09X
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95559 View Post
you cant use kelly bb, nada etc for trade in values. Dealers use auction and sometimes galves wholesale. when you plug in the car on them there is basically no adds on this car for options. So base or fully loaded your getting the same amount on trade in and 11k is about what it's worth to a dealer. they need to make a few $1000 profit selling it and might not even list it at NADA retail.
That's the car business for you. They'd rather make a "few grand" off of someone if it means sitting on a car until the right sucker comes along who takes sh!t for their trade in rather than try to gain a loyal customer, repeat shopper who really wants the car, who has excellent credit, who brings in a car in outstanding condition, etc.

And actually you can use KBB and NADA. They'll pull up KBB right in front of you if you ask, because that's where they get their numbers. They check all the boxes with the equipment on your car and they'll show you "National Base Price" or basically top auction value. My car is not just worth auction value if you actually take in to consideration all that the car is equipped with and its condition. They will always offer as low as they can which I understand, and should be willing to deal starting with that number. This situation is unique however in that there really wasn't any dealing anyway due to the fact that they couldn't have even had my car on their lot legally.

Anyway, the General Sales Manager called after I had a conversation with a sales associate on the phone who knew it was me calling to see if they still had the X5M for sale. Well of course I knew it wasn't, I just wanted to see if they'd be honest with me. Surprise, that sales associate gave me some snide remarks and ultimately lied about the M being sold. I guess he felt the need to tell his boss about this, which is what prompted the GSM to call me back to get to the root of the problem. And the root of the problem was that they immediately showed my car with a recall, which is correct, but took in this X5M which also needed the recall w/o doing any research on it before they listed it online and put it on the lot. So in the grand scheme of things, they were trying to sell a car they didn't know had an open recall and didn't have the slightest clue until I walk in and bring it to their attention. Knowing I had been lied to by the idiots, I went so far as to call BMW with the VIN to get it straight from the horses mouth... yes the X5M was affected by the recall. Therefore, the dealership ditched the car from the web the day after I was there and now is sitting on it. Turns out it can't even have the recall fixed in the US. It has to go back to Canada to have the airbags replaced. So f*ck those dudes.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #79
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Does anyone know if this is still going on?

I still couldn't get my passenger side and I need to trade-in my car soon. Any tips on this matter for me would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #80
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
Does anyone know if this is still going on?

I still couldn't get my passenger side and I need to trade-in my car soon. Any tips on this matter for me would be great.
I was told up to 2 years for mine!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #81
singh284
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 X50I M SPORT

Currently have a 13 X50, shows that there is no open recall on these cars
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #82
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up a 2010 from a dealer here in Colorado, and it had the airbags recall done, so the parts are out there and available now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #83
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

I just picked up a 2012 X5M, neither airbag has been done. 50k miles.
It's not illegal to sell USED cars with open recalls only new ones, so I don't know where people are getting thier info, they should dig a little more.
That being said, lots of NEW car dealers will auction of used cars instead of putting them into inventory as a rule of thumb if it has a recall with no current remedy.
I know for 100% fact that mine was traded into a local Toyota dealer here, put up for sale because the recall showed it was available for repair and they realized after the fact that only the driver side was and the passenger wasn't available yet.
That being said they pulled it from thier inventory and sent it to auction.
I also know how much the used car dealer paid for it and when they bought it, they got a good deal on a car that should have been sold from the dealer who took it on trade and made some coin.
In the process of looking for an X5M close to me in portland I did find one up near Tacoma that had a similar situation, they had listed it in inventory with no pics and then pulled it for auction found this out after talking to them.

While I don't think the recalls are effecting value as much on something like an X5M, they are deminishing it's value when they get sent to auction for a few reasons. One is what they are being bought for at auction on average and Two is a used car dealer selling them without option for warranty or with out the prowess of being a large dealership. This knocks the overall average down on an otherwise good car, good news for you if you're in the market.. bad news if you're looking to sell.

Private party would be the way to go if you're looking to sell with some of these cars. Trade isn't ever going to give you a private party price, not to mention that if many new car dealers are dumping these at auction then the price reduces even more when the overall average decreased.
You won't get those numbers from KBB or NADA, those numbers aren't really good either, more like a random strangers advice.
They don't reflect local market, average rate of resale and rare or highly optioned cars. They pretend to, I've seen cars go for well under and way over routinely.
Heck, my car says it's worth $43k with options and miles.
I bought it more then $10k less then that and I know the dealer after buying and fees made about $4k

On the plus side I've heard that passenger bags should all be rolling out soon!

Just figure anything you're gonna buy from a dealer they are going to pick apart to get the most lucrative deal for them, the same way you would.

The nonrepaired recall cars can be sold on any dealers lot LEGALLY as long as it's being sold as a USED car.
Appreciate 0