XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #441
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
I wrote AVINUSA customer support again today with everything new that I have tried to see if they come back with a solution. More to follow.
      03-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #442
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
AVINUSA advised to turn off BT. I do not have BT enabled. Whenever I select it in the main menu, it takes me to the OEM Phone Screen. On the AVINUSA unit itself, I cannot select the "ON" switch for BT. See video. Also, I showed that the AVINUSA unit can see the MicroSD storage but it does not allow you to use it as RAM. The AVINUSA member stated that SWAP file is not supported yet.

This may or may not help someone.

03-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #443
applecran
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

I just installed this on yesterday and have been playing with it quite a bit. Just a few things I've tried and what is working for me.

2011 X5 with CIC, factory Nav, rear and side cameras. Android 8.1 unit

I'm pretty happy with this unit. Install was a bit confusing as there were some cables I can't seem to figure out the use for, and no install instructions or info, but everything seems to work. I had to run the aux cable to get media audio from the Android system, but the Nav prompts from google maps worked without it - they have done some interesting programming here for sure, not sure why they can't send all audio through the main harness but there is likely a good reason.

One thing I found that I'm not sure is obvious is that the iDrive buttons do different things in the Android Menus and the CIC menus, and they also respond differently to short and long presses.

For example, if you are in the android system, and you press the iDrive menu button it takes you to the Android main menu, if you long press it, it takes you to the factory CIC main menu. If you are in the CIC menu a long press takes you back to the Android main menu. Same for Nav, short press takes you to your android nav app if you are in the android menu, and a long press takes you to the OEM nav and vice versa.

I have an Android phone and use my phone in my car for Calls, Spotify, Texting, and Navigation. My old car had Android Auto in the OEM head unit, and that was really great. This system is a bit more complex to get what I want, but even more flexible.

I tested audio through OEM BT, Avin BT from my phone and by playing it from the spotify app on the Avin unit. I configured the Aux volume levels on the CIC menu to be one notch under centre (saw that tip here) and the media volume on the Avin menu to about 25. That was the best quality I could get using BT direct to the Avin unit or by playing from Spotify directly. There was still a bit of a hiss when quite loud. The audio quality was pretty good once I dialled in the treble/bass settings, but I couldn't get past the hissing and I've decided to play music via BT to the OEM BT as it was the best sound quality.

I'm also using the OEM BT for phone calls as I didn't like how the Aux switching worked. I actually turned the Aux switching to manual in the Avin Factory settings.

Here is my setup.

1. Wifi hotspot on my phone, configured to turn on automatically when my phone connects to the cars BT. Used Tasker for this on my phone.

2. I have spotify installed on the Avin unit. Since the avin unit is connect to my phone via wifi, it can actually see my phone in spotify as a device available to play music to and so the spotify on the Avin acts like a remote for the spotify on my phone. I love this as I get easy access to all the playlists, search etc but still the good sound quality of the OEM BT.

3. I have Android Auto setup to automatically launch on my phone when it connects to my car - this is a setting in the Android auto app on my phone. This is great as it notifies me of text messages and I can have them read out to me, reply to them, or just "OK Google" to send messages.

4. I have the screen mirroring setup and my phone connected via USB to the Avin unit. I leave my phone sitting so it is in landscape mode, and this allows me to see anything on my phone if I need to, I can also see the android auto from my phone here if I really need to. I don't see myself using this much but it's a nice option to have and easy to setup. My phone charges at the same time through the USB and it seems to be able to keep up ok with the power drain of having wifi on etc.

5. I changed the app that the Avin uses for Nav to Google maps in the settings menu. This is also great as I've logged into my google account and so can see all the addresses etc. I've got on my phone, it knows my saved addresses etc, and when I click the Nav button it opens google maps. Google maps will also stay on the screen in a smaller window when you navigate around the Avin menus, got to spotify etc, which is handy.

With this setup, when I get in the car, the factory radio starts playing, and once BT connects, it automatically starts playing my music.

I wish I could tell the system to launch spotify when I select music from the main Avin screen, maybe a future release. I also wish I could install the Android Auto app on the Avin unit, but in google play store it says that the app is not compatible with my device, maybe there is a way I don't know about though?

I also got the Torque wifi adapter, it's great, but given my above setup, I have to manually connect to it and disconnect from my wifi hotspot to use it. That's fine as I don't see myself having it open all the time.

Oh, and I wish I got the anti glare screen protectors as the screen picks up a lot of glare.
Appreciate 1
b4hand661.00
      03-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #444
RichW3533
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

I know this has probably been answered somewhere, but I can not find it. Can someone please tell me how to change my dashboard to MPH, it's stuck on metric vs. imperial.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #445
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW3533 View Post
I know this has probably been answered somewhere, but I can not find it. Can someone please tell me how to change my dashboard to MPH, it's stuck on metric vs. imperial.
you can't
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #446
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Received and installed the new 8.1 version. So far I have not noticed any difference between my 7.1 and 8.1. No additional features, functionality, speed, sound, etc. I am sure the underlying OS has a few differences, but none are apparent in use.

That stated, rather not pull it and put in the 7.1, so I am going to post it up for sale in the classifieds.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:35 AM   #447
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
you can't
Isn't it in the setting under units and language?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:40 AM   #448
N5ifty4our
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335xi

I hate Avin right now. I've emailed them 5 times about the display I bought and they won't respond. Terrible customer support. I can't get the original CIC to work. It says no signal

I cannot get the original idrive screen to show. I have everything connected correct. I have CIC and green CAN A is connected to purple CAN C. And purple CAN B is connected to purple CAN 1. Exactly how the instructions have it.. The green fiber optic cable is also connected back into the back correctly. So what's up? How do I fix this?
I've tried everything:
- made sure the green and purple cables are connected correctly.
- changed the CCC type from A to B multiple times
- changed the car type to match mine
What else is there? I need the functionality of the original idrive menu to access my car info
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #449
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5ifty4our View Post
I hate Avin right now. I've emailed them 5 times about the display I bought and they won't respond. Terrible customer support. I can't get the original CIC to work. It says no signal

I cannot get the original idrive screen to show. I have everything connected correct. I have CIC and green CAN A is connected to purple CAN C. And purple CAN B is connected to purple CAN 1. Exactly how the instructions have it.. The green fiber optic cable is also connected back into the back correctly. So what's up? How do I fix this?
I've tried everything:
What else is there? I need the functionality of the original idrive menu to access my car info
That response of service from them is not surprising, which is why I bought my new 8.1 from Aliexpress instead of Avin. Same unit.

Not sure if you know about this video
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #450
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
That response of service from them is not surprising, which is why I bought my new 8.1 from Aliexpress instead of Avin. Same unit.

Not sure if you know about this video
Thanks for the video link, I hadn't seen that one. They make it look pretty easy.

I really want this unit, but lack of customer service is an issue. Plus install looks simple, but I always feel I might screw something up. Wish the shop in the vid was local lol
      03-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #451
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:

I've tried everything:
Can you charge back on your credit card/paypal? The shitty customer service is the sole reason I avoided avinusa.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #452
N5ifty4our
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoandso View Post
Quote:

I've tried everything:
Can you charge back on your credit card/paypal? The shitty customer service is the sole reason I avoided avinusa.
I'm going to give that a try, not sure why I never thought of that thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #453
pito2121
Private
Rep
Drives: Bimmers!!

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Question

Hey guys! I'm installing one of these in my x5m and have a bit of a delimma. I saw the install video from 4X4shop and the part where u connect the middle speaker has me stumped. My set up came with the middle channel in and out connected to fl and fr speaker then the T harness connectors don't mate up. Does anyone have the install instructions for the 7.1 system?
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #454
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Has anyone purchased the unit with the built in dash cam? How's the quality and placement of the camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #455
charliemike100
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3, 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecran View Post
I also wish I could install the Android Auto app on the Avin unit, but in google play store it says that the app is not compatible with my device, maybe there is a way I don't know about though?
This is actually a question I've wondered about - Why hasn't anyone tried this? If you google "sideload android auto" there are lots of different tutorials out there that walk you through side loading AA (I believe the issue here is that the head unit is recognized as a tablet and android auto is only set to run on phones).

I don't have one of these head units yet, but seriously considering for the wife's car - let us know if you give the sideload a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:17 AM   #456
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike100 View Post
This is actually a question I've wondered about - Why hasn't anyone tried this? If you google "sideload android auto" there are lots of different tutorials out there that walk you through side loading AA (I believe the issue here is that the head unit is recognized as a tablet and android auto is only set to run on phones).

I don't have one of these head units yet, but seriously considering for the wife's car - let us know if you give the sideload a try.
Similar to this?

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #457
PhilDaBeats
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Just got the 7.1 from Avin.....
I have a 2008 CCC with OEM nav, back up cam & PDC. I purchased the unit for the screen upgrade and to be able to play music / movies through USB.
Overall it's a cool update from OEM and it makes everything look crispier. I didn't have to use the Aux INPUT & the audio coming from the unit is OEM quality.

There are a few set backs:
  • long boot up time with no OEM BMW logo
  • settings will randomly change when switching back to OEM screen from the Droid side, using the iDrive button. It will switch audio inputs, change radio stations, etc.
  • I was able to set bluetooth, WIFI and make calls, but the person on ther other end can barley hear me.

There are a few Droid features I can see myself using in the future. I plan to get the front dash cam and wireless back up cam. Also wanted to see how it'll run with hot spotting through my phone.
I'll be messing around with it a lot more to see if I can tolerate & get by the quirks.

This thread helped me a lot.
Thanks all

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:48 AM   #458
Heavenzjh
Rep
Drives: E90

hello, what payment method do you use to pay AVIN?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #459
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Installing the 4x4 shop 8.1 android unit
Attached Images

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #460
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Fun times right there! Gonna look awesome...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:27 AM   #461
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Installing the 4x4 shop 8.1 android unit
Awesome! Best of luck and looking forward to your review. Did you get the new anti reflective screen one?
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #462
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecran View Post
5. I changed the app that the Avin uses for Nav to Google maps in the settings menu. This is also great as I've logged into my google account and so can see all the addresses etc. I've got on my phone, it knows my saved addresses etc, and when I click the Nav button it opens google maps. Google maps will also stay on the screen in a smaller window when you navigate around the Avin menus, got to spotify etc, which is handy.
are you having this issue with google maps in "drive mode"? see 0:14 mark

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213

Last edited by sunny_j; 04-15-2019 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0