XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Rear Miain Seal Leak

I was under my car last weekend and noticed I had a small oil leak, it looked like it was coming from in between the transmission and engine so my guess is it's the rear main seal it hasn't dripped yet on my drive way but I noticed alot of people putting Liqui Molly Oil Saver to help slow down the leak and almost stop it, now I am very very picky on what fluids go into my vehicle and wanted to get everyone's opinion and if anyone has any experience with it? I have a X5 35d M57 if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Curious...was it wet or just stained? I have an oil pan gasket leak, but also noticed some dry staining around the rear main seal when I was underneath these vehicle a few months ago. Just had an inspection at the dealership and they didn't mention it, so I'm not too worried...

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
Curious...was it wet or just stained? I have an oil pan gasket leak, but also noticed some dry staining around the rear main seal when I was underneath these vehicle a few months ago. Just had an inspection at the dealership and they didn't mention it, so I'm not too worried...
its wet and I looked everywhere and it doesnt seem to be coming from the oil pan gasket, just want to temporarily prolong it lit from getting worse after some research it looks like itll cost $1500+ to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

If you have the n63 or s63 engine it could also be your turbo oil return lines housing, there is a gasket under this housing that gets baked from all the high temps, oil seeps out, into th valley of the block, and right out the rear weep hole which then leaks over the rear main. Search on YouTube and you find a guy who replaced his main seal twice before discovering what the real cause was.... I would pick up a borescope (super cheap these days, 50 for a decent wifi version or 200 for an articulated version) and slip it under your alternator down into the engine valley and see if it's soaked with oil.again this only applies if your have the n or s63
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
If you have the n63 or s63 engine it could also be your turbo oil return lines housing, there is a gasket under this housing that gets baked from all the high temps, oil seeps out, into th valley of the block, and right out the rear weep hole which then leaks over the rear main. Search on YouTube and you find a guy who replaced his main seal twice before discovering what the real cause was.... I would pick up a borescope (super cheap these days, 50 for a decent wifi version or 200 for an articulated version) and slip it under your alternator down into the engine valley and see if it's soaked with oil.again this only applies if your have the n or s63
I really appreciate your comment but I have the M57! thank you tho!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

it could be leaking from anywhere and end up right in this place. i had a similar leak and this is what I thought it is but it was leaking from oil filter cap.. go figure
very unlikely this is rear seal.. and I had a lot of oil there and some on the ground..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
it could be leaking from anywhere and end up right in this place. i had a similar leak and this is what I thought it is but it was leaking from oil filter cap.. go figure
very unlikely this is rear seal.. and I had a lot of oil there and some on the ground..
okay thank you I'll probably by a borescope and start looking un everything first, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanchii View Post
okay thank you I'll probably by a borescope and start looking un everything first, thank you!
I would check the oil lines going to the turbos. I had an oil leak at the crimp seams from pipe 2 - oil had worked its way down to the subframe. Hope this helps, good luck tracking it down!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4264
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanchii View Post
I would check the oil lines going to the turbos. I had an oil leak at the crimp seams from pipe 2 - oil had worked its way down to the subframe. Hope this helps, good luck tracking it down!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4264
Thank you! I will definitely check that as well! I got my Foxwell Wifi Borescope today so I'll be looking around!
Appreciate 0