XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Obtained a bms stage 1 unit

So, I purchased a BMS stage 1 unit from a member on here for a very decent price.

Not much for reviews on here for this unit so I'll post my observation in the next few days. I plan to install it today.

I'm told by Burger Motorsports that I can modify the boost (over stock) from 0-6. Default is 3.

I plan to use just 3, maybe 4. For 5-6 I would use one step colder plugs.

Completely bone stock otherwise, besides a muffler delete.

I run 93 octane religiously in all my cars.

I plan to use this stage 1 unit for at least two years until my warranty is up, then I'll move over to a Velos tune (hopefully they still offer it at the time).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Very interested in what you think of it. I have a jb4 along with the boost controller but yet to install it. Want to get second car just in case I blow the engine, which is a real possibility as I, being a redneck with a BMW, plan on taking it to 18psi with just octane booster on 91 pumps gas. (Boostane professional mixed to 98). Engine has 140k on it (n63) so plan on new engine anyway. When I do it, will start Deadpool on how many miles I get before she blows 🤣. I have downpipes and 2 step cooler NGK plugs and all new coils already installed. Also freshened up the tranny with all new fluid and Sonnax zip kit. Changing fluids in diffs and transfer case next. Rebuilt wastegates in turbos already too. Oh and installed catch-cans with adjustable crankcase vacuum that im still plan on doing a full write up on cause damn does having correct cc pressure make a difference, not only with not burning so much oil but adds horsepower through ring sealing. Butt Dyno tells me at least 30+hp and my butt Dyno is never wrong😉

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 03-09-2019 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Very interested in what you think of it. I have a jb4 along with the boost controller but yet to install it. Want to get second car just in case I blow the engine, which is a real possibility as I, being a redneck with a BMW, plan on taking it to 18psi with just octane booster on 91 pumps gas. (Boostane professional mixed to 98). Engine has 140k on it (n63) so plan on new engine anyway. When I do it, will start Deadpool on how many miles I get before she blows 🤣. I have downpipes and 2 step cooler NGK plugs and all new coils already installed. Also freshened up the tranny with all new fluid and Sonnax zip kit. Changing fluids in diffs and transfer case next. Rebuilt wastegates in turbos already too. Oh and installed catch-cans with adjustable crankcase vacuum that im still plan on doing a full write up on cause damn does having correct cc pressure make a difference, not only with not burning so much oil but adds horsepower through ring sealing. Butt Dyno tells me at least 30+hp and my butt Dyno is never wrong😉

Lol, so you have the n63?

They don't sell the JB4 for the S63 any more otherwise I would have gotten that.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Just installed it today, I'm still waiting on the data cable so I can confirm it's set to default 3psi but a few things to note post-install...

• after connecting the battery again and starting the car back up I got a bunch of steering wheel, DSC, AWD/Xdrive faults. I cleared them with my Protool but that wasn't something I expected. I searched forms and found that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery on the E70 usually causes this, additionally the FRM module likes to kill itself during such processes. Luckily after reversing out of the driveway and going down the block all was well. Still annoyed that this can happen.

• drivability is great now, car should have been like this from stock. Cruising around streets at 25-35 has a very normal feel to it. Can't even tell anything is changed.

• when using partial throttle or wide open the car launches with certainty. You can really feel engine pull now. My partial throttle pulls feel like my previous full throttle pulls.
° To be honest I did not go WOT yet as I want the ecu/dme to adapt to the changes first.

• for now, I'd say well worth the cost (used or new).

I will post more observations in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Lol, so you have the n63?

They don't sell the JB4 for the S63 any more otherwise I would have gotten that.
Yep have a 50i, it has every friggen option on it from the leather dash and HUD to the adaptive steering/suspension. Picked it up cheap cause it was smoking like a dog but easily resolved with catch-cans & adjustable valve to apply the correct CC vacuum. Slapped 40,000 miles on it since I picked it up last year. I drive the piss out of it as it should be

Sucks they don't make it for the S63 anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Just installed it today, I'm still waiting on the data cable so I can confirm it's set to default 3psi but a few things to note post-install...

• after connecting the battery again and starting the car back up I got a bunch of steering wheel, DSC, AWD/Xdrive faults. I cleared them with my Protool but that wasn't something I expected. I searched forms and found that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery on the E70 usually causes this, additionally the FRM module likes to kill itself during such processes. Luckily after reversing out of the driveway and going down the block all was well. Still annoyed that this can happen.

• drivability is great now, car should have been like this from stock. Cruising around streets at 25-35 has a very normal feel to it. Can't even tell anything is changed.

• when using partial throttle or wide open the car launches with certainty. You can really feel engine pull now. My partial throttle pulls feel like my previous full throttle pulls.
° To be honest I did not go WOT yet as I want the ecu/dme to adapt to the changes first.

• for now, I'd say well worth the cost (used or new).

I will post more observations in a few days.
NICE!!! That's good to hear. All the errors you got are normal when you disconnect the battery and will autoclear usually within the first few min of driving. You'll notice your steering will be heavy as hell until you go from stop to stop and it recalibrates itself

Ya anytime you reconnect you can blow the old versions of the FRM, especially if trying to jump start. Good news is warranty from BMW extended to 125k. I blew mine at 120k miles and free replacement, got a free loaner too (good service from Chapman BMW in Chandler on that) I normally do all my own work but gotta admit that was kinda nice not having to left a finger and have it all done for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
NICE!!! That's good to hear. All the errors you got are normal when you disconnect the battery and will autoclear usually within the first few min of driving. You'll notice your steering will be heavy as hell until you go from stop to stop and it recalibrates itself

Ya anytime you reconnect you can blow the old versions of the FRM, especially if trying to jump start. Good news is warranty from BMW extended to 125k. I blew mine at 120k miles and free replacement, got a free loaner too (good service from Chapman BMW in Chandler on that) I normally do all my own work but gotta admit that was kinda nice not having to left a finger and have it all done for free.
Older versions only? Mines a '13.... When did they resolve that?

What else is covered under this extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This particular warranty is just for the FRM and I was wrong, it's actually 10 year 156k miles. If you google "e70 FRM module recall" it will bring up links to the actual service bulletin. I just checked on your 13 S63 is covered. If you have never had it replaced then you have an old one. The latest FRMs that are supposed hardended against voltage spikes weren't out until just a few years ago. Other extended items are the turbo auxillary water pump (think it's the same between the n63 and s63 but double check) and front drive shaft, airbag. That's it off top of head but might be more. Don't know if the CCP recall affected the S63, think it was just mainly the n63
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
This particular warranty is just for the FRM and I was wrong, it's actually 10 year 156k miles. If you google "e70 FRM module recall" it will bring up links to the actual service bulletin. I just checked on your 13 S63 is covered. If you have never had it replaced then you have an old one. The latest FRMs that are supposed hardended against voltage spikes weren't out until just a few years ago. Other extended items are the turbo auxillary water pump (think it's the same between the n63 and s63 but double check) and front drive shaft, airbag. That's it off top of head but might be more. Don't know if the CCP recall affected the S63, think it was just mainly the n63
Ah cool, always good to know!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #10
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Interesting observation, I logged a pull in third from 3-6k rpm, shifting to 4th and then letting off around 5k rpm.

Per the log, it shows I hit a Max of 12.5 psi.

Seems low, especially for a over boost as I'm reading that the stock psi is 16 on the S63.

I should be seeing 19psi....not 12.5.

Anyone else have this happen?
Appreciate 0