XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
JoeMac40
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X6M

New X6M owner! What do I need to know?

Hello all! I just purchased a 2014 X6M just 2 days ago. It is my first M car. I had a E46 3 series years ago and enjoyed it alot. I then moved over to Audi and just now got back to BMW.

I was lucky enough to find a 1 owner corporate lease with full service records. It is in mint condition, low miles (less than 60k) and could pass for brand new.

My question is what do I need to keep an eye on as far as this being an M car with turbos? I have never had a car with turbo so I am a complete Noob. I will do a little spirited driving here and there, but my plan is to keep it as nice as possible and not dog it. I like knowing the power is there when I need it.

I usually do my own work on my cars so I will need to do a study up on this x6m. Are there any good repair manuals like Bentley? From my research it appears this are pretty good cars regarding reliability. I do know you need to replace the oil separator system to keep the pressure down so you don't start blowing through your engine gaskets are start leaking oil from every seal.

Any advice for a new owner would be great!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Google Newtis, Real OEM and BMW ETK if you aren't familiar....that's a start.

Based on your comments above...something like a Foxwell NT520.

I have a 13 about to go through 100,000 KM...If you like doing basic maint and a bit more...you will love this thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #3
JoeMac40
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X6M

Hey thank you! That is some good information. I was wondering what a good scan tool would be. I used a X Tool for the Audi and it was great. I am hopeful that I don't have as nearly as many issues with the x6m as I had with my Q7. I was more or less in the shop or needing some sort of repair about every 2 months. Well over $10,000 over the course of 5 years. I was a mess and I was not able to do much of the engine work myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Carly with NewTIS is a pretty solid tool set for troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0