XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #67
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

p.s. We lost focus of the original idea for this thread.

Where are the dyno numbers off OP's custom intake?
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #68
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I had the Rk and sold them. Stalled the car on two occasions (like someone mentioned..right after getting the car washed). Pulled the two filters and they were drenched w water. I added the water repellant socks down the road and it never happened again. Sound was amazing though.
RK without socks, to me, is begging to be hydrolocked... Plenty of places to drive an M where it never rains though.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #69
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
p.s. We lost focus of the original idea for this thread.

Where are the dyno numbers off OP's custom intake?
If there's 5hp gain I would be impressed... The bigger draw and gain I see is the noise factor as the factory box is built to keep it quiet where round tubing will act as megaphones for the turbo suck whistle.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #70
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
1. You think this setup is more likely to get the filters wet at a car wash than stock? If it's that big of a concern drill a hole in the bottom of the hose at the filter and at the bend up front. My bet is the factory filtration system is more susceptible.

2. Our radiators are huge and the attached fans work well. Observe how a slipstream works... The lead object doesn't stop air from EVER going behind it, the only area absent of air will be immediately behind it, where a vacuum of sorts will exist. After this vacuum will be an area of turbulence, followed by a return to normal air flow. If you think those inlet nozzles are big enough to cause cooling issues in this platform, you may have issues with paranoia.
i told my opinion time ll show anyway .. ever thought why radiators re huge? its not 1mm bigger than it needed.. wishing you the best..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #71
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
Is this still any option?
If people want it, I'll happily do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #72
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
with this way installation have some serious disadvantages even if i dont want to spoil your mood..

1. its so easy to make those filters wet.. in a rainy day.. or car wash %100 make those filters wet.. i guess no need to tell the possible consequences..
2. cooling.. winter time it may affect less but in summer time while pushing a bit it ll be so easy to exceed optimal temperatures for the engine with such high pressured V8.. for able to squeeze 550hp im sure that turbos kick at least 1.0bar of pressure.. it means things can go bad easy if not everything is set right.. like Dinans etc.. not blocking the radiator and its not exposed completely.. in any CAI systems that why they make corners etc to keep water away.. except track cars..
I live in Seattle where it rains 9+ months outta the year, so seeing I've had ZERO issues water ingestion, your point is moot. I've still got an E38 as well and $$Dinan$$ puts the filter right behind the passenger foglight on the M60/M62/S62 engines and I'm guessing many others as well...their solution is a water sock. I run water socks on filters, but my SUV kidneys are nowhere near as low to the ground as a foglight on most cars.

Unless the filter is completely submerged, this notion that engines are sucking enough water outta the air to hydrolock needs to die.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #73
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I had the Rk and sold them. Stalled the car on two occasions (like someone mentioned..right after getting the car washed). Pulled the two filters and they were drenched w water. I added the water repellant socks down the road and it never happened again. Sound was amazing though.
My water socks are a nice bright red and can't be missed. While they're not covered in oil like the filters themselves are, they do get dirty...nothing a mist of Purple Power through the kidneys won't fix as I'm hosing down the truck and I've never had an idling/dying issue. Straight shots of water might be an issue without socks, but it's not an issue at all once the socks are in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TTV8M113.50
      01-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #74
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
i told my opinion time ll show anyway .. ever thought why radiators re huge? its not 1mm bigger than it needed.. wishing you the best..
Are you speaking from experience or theory? I've taken mine from Seattle (30°-80° F averages throughout the year) to Hollywood (90° average in summer) to Las Vegas (100+ ° F average in summer) for the past 3 years...stop armchair engineering, bro lol
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #75
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

I also agree that you shouldn't worry about water issues if a sock is used. My supercharged Z3M has the air filter in the brake duct facing the elements, and I haven't had issues using the sock. It's been through car washes and heavy rain downfall on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #76
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

In regards of power, changing the intakes shouldn't make much of a difference… if any. The way an engine makes more power with turbo is different than NA. Raising the boost pressure will allow more air into the cylinder to produce more power. A free flow intake system helps more on NA.
When you are pushing the turbos to its limit is when you’ll see a power increase from changing the intake. Some people are at the point, but not many.

The main purpose I would change the intake, other than a cooler sound, would be to increase the size of the intercoolers. The power potential of adding 2 more inches of intercooling is far greater than changing the intake.

There’s a reason why you’ll find many companies spending R&D for downpipes for our cars instead of intakes. Performance gains are easily proven with downpipes oppose to intakes on a turbo application.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #77
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I live in Seattle where it rains 9+ months outta the year, so seeing I've had ZERO issues water ingestion, your point is moot. I've still got an E38 as well and $$Dinan$$ puts the filter right behind the passenger foglight on the M60/M62/S62 engines and I'm guessing many others as well...their solution is a water sock. I run water socks on filters, but my SUV kidneys are nowhere near as low to the ground as a foglight on most cars.

Unless the filter is completely submerged, this notion that engines are sucking enough water outta the air to hydrolock needs to die.
This.

Socks were a must for me. We rarely get rain here but I didn't want to have to worry when we do. Never had an issue. Sometimes I just wipe them down with a paper towel if they get dirty. It's incredible how clean they keep the filter.

Last edited by mirob; 01-23-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #78
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
In regards of power, changing the intakes shouldn't make much of a difference… if any. The way an engine makes more power with turbo is different than NA. Raising the boost pressure will allow more air into the cylinder to produce more power. A free flow intake system helps more on NA.
When you are pushing the turbos to its limit is when you’ll see a power increase from changing the intake. Some people are at the point, but not many.

The main purpose I would change the intake, other than a cooler sound, would be to increase the size of the intercoolers. The power potential of adding 2 more inches of intercooling is far greater than changing the intake.

There’s a reason why you’ll find many companies spending R&D for downpipes for our cars instead of intakes. Performance gains are easily proven with downpipes oppose to intakes on a turbo application.
Whether they make power or not is debatable and whether or not the power they make is worth the price of admission. Supposedly, they make nice gains on the F10 (S63tu) platform, about 25whp or so. I don't see why it should be any different here. I, however, have not noticed a difference from the seat of my pants.

That sound though...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #79
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Are you speaking from experience or theory? I've taken mine from Seattle (30°-80° F averages throughout the year) to Hollywood (90° average in summer) to Las Vegas (100+ ° F average in summer) for the past 3 years...stop armchair engineering, bro lol
im telling my opinion only and thats the reason forums for.. telling opinion is not armchair engineering.. whatever setup people like to use is not my business i wouldnt use such a setup on my car thats all..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #80
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post

You have to remember CFM increase and reduction of restriction is also a reason to remove as much in the way of the inlet as possible!

@M5James,

Send me closer multiple angles of the pieces, aswell as sensor bung requirements.

I'm going to discuss with my fab guy..... Here's an example of his work on piping... everything built from scratch! This was prior to smoothing, heat treated, and chromed.

Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50