XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Jarhed1964
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 XDrive30 Sport

Parking Brake Failure - Final Event

Well,

This is the 2nd time this happened, first was back in October 2018. Locked up after I got gas, sat at the pump for four hours waiting for USAA Road Service to send the right truck. A flatbed came first, I sent him away. Told him he was dragging my car with locked wheels up on that flatbed over my dead body. The second guy brought a "snatcher" with a rear wheel dolly. Got it home. Of course, this was Friday night, so couldn't take it to any indie.

The dealer quoted me $1880 the last time if it needed the actuator replaced. They replaced the switch then. I thought I was good, but surprise surprise.

My emergency release does not work, didn't work last time either. I have a feeling it is disconnected. It comes out the full 4" and doesn't catch on anything.

Tried pulling fuses 94 and 129 to reset and didn't work. Can't reach fuse 10 under the glove compartment. Thats a very tight fit and a really dumb place to put a fuse panel.

I'm going to rent a car to work tomorrow, then call the Indies (Brothers Automotive and Touring Car in Indian Trail NC) to see if they can do it cheaper than the dealer. The only saving grace from the dealer is that they have loaner cars, otherwise I'll be paying for a rental until an indie gets it done. So, the tossup is getting it done at an indie quicker, but paying for a rental, or getting it done sometime in the next few weeks at the dealer, but not having to pay for a rental.

If I can get a decent price (around $1000 or so) at the indie and can get it done in a few days (), I'll go with them and just rent a car for about $250 for the week to get to work in uptown Charlotte. If not, it's to the dealer to pay $1880 plus tax (about $2k) and ride around in their loaner for about three weeks.

I'd attempt it myself, but:
a. I'm a graduate student trying to get through Finals and a 40+ hour work week
b. I do not have the software, nor the time to learn it.

Wish me luck, and send ill thoughts to the BMW Engineers who thought it would be a good idea to make something as simple as a parking brake electronic.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Not a fan of electronic parking brakes, always have a fear of it malfunctioning. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Feeling your pain, best of luck
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhed1964 View Post
Well,

This is the 2nd time this happened, first was back in October 2018. Locked up after I got gas, sat at the pump for four hours waiting for USAA Road Service to send the right truck.
Are you pulling your e-brake when getting gas? Why? Does it tighten and lock up by itself (can't imagine this is the case)? I use my e-brake twice a year when I'm under the vehicle changing the oil...

There is no need to pull the e-brake ever time you stop. Don't worry - it won't damage your torque converter or your parking pawl...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Hey. Just had my parking brake die again. I had it done at the dealer a few months ago, and died 2 days ago! Same exact symptoms b4 it died, which were
When you unlock the truck with the remote, it makes an insanely loud banging noise, and I thought oh nooo not again. Did that about 5 times over the course of a few weeks. Then, one morning, I needed to go somewhere, and the parking brake was locked on. Last time, I unlocked it with the special orange L-shaped tool in the back compartment. I just hooked it into the parking brake release cable and yanked on it very hard, and it unstuck. This time I noticed that they replaced the entire cable with something that does NOT work with the L shaped tool!! LOL. so, I grabbed some pliers and yanked it up, praying it wouldn't break the cable. They replace the end of the cable with just a loop that only pliers or a long hook would fit into. anyways, got it unstuck with a lot of force, and made an appt with the stealership again. It was $2500 to fix it last time, under warranty though, phewww.. This time should be free, and hopefully will last more than 4 months.... Wonder if they might have tried a scam and replaced it with a refurbished one off of eBay!! LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Hey. Just had my parking brake die again. I had it done at the dealer a few months ago, and died 2 days ago! Same exact symptoms b4 it died, which were
When you unlock the truck with the remote, it makes an insanely loud banging noise, and I thought oh nooo not again. Did that about 5 times over the course of a few weeks. Then, one morning, I needed to go somewhere, and the parking brake was locked on. Last time, I unlocked it with the special orange L-shaped tool in the back compartment. I just hooked it into the parking brake release cable and yanked on it very hard, and it unstuck. This time I noticed that they replaced the entire cable with something that does NOT work with the L shaped tool!! LOL. so, I grabbed some pliers and yanked it up, praying it wouldn't break the cable. They replace the end of the cable with just a loop that only pliers or a long hook would fit into. anyways, got it unstuck with a lot of force, and made an appt with the stealership again. It was $2500 to fix it last time, under warranty though, phewww.. This time should be free, and hopefully will last more than 4 months.... Wonder if they might have tried a scam and replaced it with a refurbished one off of eBay!! LOL.
Not ebay most likely, but they were available reman'd from the OE supplier. They were crap and came back defective, so the dealer may have went that route.
      05-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Are you pulling your e-brake when getting gas? Why? Does it tighten and lock up by itself (can't imagine this is the case)? I use my e-brake twice a year when I'm under the vehicle changing the oil...

There is no need to pull the e-brake ever time you stop. Don't worry - it won't damage your torque converter or your parking pawl...
I never ever use a parking brake. Unless I am parked on a slope. And that is once a year or not even that
Appreciate 1
mirob3031.50
      05-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Not ebay most likely, but they were available reman'd from the OE supplier. They were crap and came back defective, so the dealer may have went that route.
Lol, yeah most likely. The part new is like $1600 USD, so t hey probably charged the warranty company that price, and their cost for a reman was like $250. complete scam. Even under warranty, not that great of a deal, as the 'programming' charge was $400. WHAT? LOL. Programming an ebrake for 4 hours? Plus, the part failed within 4 months. I'm guess it's the actuator yet again, as it just seized on and doesn't work at all now. Unless it's something rusted or crimped inside putting excessive force on the actuator causing it to fail repeatedly. We'll see what happens this time. I guess the dealer shouldn't even attempt to charge any extra 'fees' like programming again, as they screwed up the whole thing from beginning to end. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
I never ever use a parking brake. Unless I am parked on a slope. And that is once a year or not even that
I use it al the time. According to the mechanic, damage to your car that happens while parked won't be covered by insurance, etc., unless the parking brake was set on. So, it's just kind of a habit now.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
I use it al the time. According to the mechanic, damage to your car that happens while parked won't be covered by insurance, etc., unless the parking brake was set on. So, it's just kind of a habit now.
WTF? Do you mind elaborating on this a little bit?
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      05-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
WTF? Do you mind elaborating on this a little bit?
LOL. At least that's the Canuck mechanic told me, haha. But, it's mainly just habit, whether it's on a hill, or not. Vancouver's got a lot of hills, so I do it all the time. I guess if your car rolls down the hill without the parking brake on, and it causes enough damage, the cops may fine you or something along those lines. However, my x5m rolled down the hill in December as it was just too icy for those summer tires to hold, I had my parking brake on, and insurance did cover it all.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I’ve replaced my ebrake before. You can buy a module off of eBay with cables for $250. However depending on the year the ebrake module is vin coded and will not work without programming.

I’ll say I was lucky and the one I purchased off of eBay just worked. Though it was a 6 hour job for me to replace. You have to remove the rear wheels, interior, under body panels and it’s a pain to fish the lines. So it can be done, diy, it’s not hard, but it is not a 1 hr job.
Appreciate 0