XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-20-2019, 01:51 AM   #23
Makaveli69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

yes thats the bolts and i just loosened them, you can only do one at a time so make sure there is a few turns of thread in each one and the box wont fall, then just hold it back a bit with a big screw driver or lever.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #24
Alex Ander
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive3.5i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli69 View Post
yes thats the bolts and i just loosened them, you can only do one at a time so make sure there is a few turns of thread in each one and the box wont fall, then just hold it back a bit with a big screw driver or lever.
Thank you!
I am going to do it at a DIY garage where they have a lift, I have to find out if they eventually also have a transmission support.
What a pain, our model of car must be the only one that has this issue, all the other that I have seen, they have enough clearance for those bolts.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #25
Alex Ander
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive3.5i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
I didn’t even mess with the transmission brace. I simply ground down my T40 to make it very low profile, then taped it to a tiny crescent wrench to work those three bolts. As it turned out, there’s really no need to check the torque values anyway. 7.5Nm is not much at all.
Thank you!
So you did not unscrewed the brace's bolts to loosen it a bit, you kept it as is and you had enough clearance to extract the 3 pan's bolts? It should be 10nm of torque if the are the steel bolts though.
I am going to get these little wrenches:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HPD2Q14...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #26
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
I didn’t even mess with the transmission brace. I simply ground down my T40 to make it very low profile, then taped it to a tiny crescent wrench to work those three bolts. As it turned out, there’s really no need to check the torque values anyway. 7.5Nm is not much at all.
Exactly what I did as well! Worked like a charm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ander View Post
Quote:
Thank you!
So you did not unscrewed the brace's bolts to loosen it a bit, you kept it as is and you had enough clearance to extract the 3 pan's bolts? It should be 10nm of torque if the are the steel bolts though.
I wish I had seen those before I did mine, I would have bought them lol
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ander View Post
Thank you!
No. I didn’t touch them. If you make your T40 bit much shorter and tape it to a corresponding crescent wrench, just take your time loosening, then tightening the three perimeter bolts. They will come out. It’s a miserable experience, but at least for me, I’ll only ever do it once.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 04-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0