XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #23
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Yes, it's for the US market.
DeeO, please add me to your interested list.

Does anyone know if you can run carplay for video (maps, phone, etc) interface while using traditional FM radio for audio simultaneously using this kit?

Last edited by SimSimmah; 01-22-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #24
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP-BMW View Post

Does anyone know if you can run carplay for video (maps, phone, etc) interface while using traditional FM radio for audio simultaneously using this kit?
PM maddog99 for more info, as I have yet to install mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PM maddog99 for more info, as I have yet to install mine.
Good suggestion. Sending a PM shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
gregolas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

In for one and PayPal ready!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #27
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregolas View Post
In for one and PayPal ready!
Added. We're almost to 10!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmah View Post

Good question:

You CANNOT run your stock radio while using this install.
You are using the aux input & cant switch out of that.
BUT you CAN have the iheart radio app & pull in stations through carplay.
Or listen to music, podcasts, etc, while also doing maps etc.

Also, I find the audio superior to BT streaming from the phone.
BUT you have to turn your manual aux volume level down 2 clicks from the mid point (on your stock system) to ensure a clean/pure signal when amplified.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #29
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Would love to see more. Pics? Video? Are you able to combine features with the existing head unit? For example, use the bimmers XM to play music while CarPlay does the NAV and other features? Or is everything CarPlay once engaged?
Once in the Carplay you get full carplay, but NONE of the stock features. Thats true on all Carplay installs BTW.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #30
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
I an in for one for the group buy. I would be in for a 2nd if I could get more info.

I do worry 2019 i-phones will have USB C. Or 2020 i-phones have no connection at all .
I wouldnt worry about Apple leaving a proprietary standard they own for a common standard used by others...

And if they did a simple adapter would fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #31
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

TIP:
If you live in rainy areas, dont install the secondary microphone (yes you need one, it is provided, and Im told its clearer than my OEM BMW mic by others) next to the windshield.

I did this to hide it (middle consule area at the top) but it picks up windshield wiper noise lol. Simple fix but heads up...

CJM
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
SimSimmah
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog99 View Post
Once in the Carplay you get full carplay, but NONE of the stock features. Thats true on all Carplay installs BTW.
Both GM (2018 CUE) & MOPAR (2018 UConnect) allow for a combination of functions on their OEM CarPlay integrations. AM/FM/XM audio via the head unit + full features of CarPlay simultaneously. Should you choose to use CarPlay for audio as well, it'll switch over. I was just hoping for the same functionality in this unit, but I understand why that cannot happen based on how the system is designed.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #33
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
How does the factory backup camera work when in Carplay? Since the carplay unit also has an input for aftermarket camera, I was thinking about adding a 2nd camera in the hatch. That way the factory camera keeps dynamic parking lines and aftermarket camera works at night (mine is pre lci).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #34
BMWBuffalo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBuffalo View Post
@DeeO Just want to confirm a few things.

1. This group buy is for the "CarPlay Box for BMW CIC/NBT Head Unit X5 X6 E70"?

2. The normal price is $439.00 and we are getting for $299.00?
1. Yes, that's correct.
2. Yes, that's correct.

Unichip is giving me until January 29th to complete this group buy for $299 each. Let me know if you want in and/or need it for a different platform.
DeeO, count me in!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #35
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBuffalo View Post
DeeO, count me in!
Added! We are now at 8 tentative buyers. We can qualify for the $285 discount with a minimum of 10 people. If we fall short, it becomes $299 plus shipping to you.

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 01-22-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #36
brianstrawberry
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Added! We are now at 9 tentative buyers. We can qualify for the $285 discount with a minimum of 10 people. If we fall short, it becomes $299 plus shipping to you.
You can add me to the interested list.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #37
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianstrawberry View Post
You can add me to the interested list.
Added! So unless someone changes their mind, we now qualify for $285 plus shipping. All funds need to be collected by me on or before Jan. 29, 2019. PayPal or Venmo will be used to collect money for this group buy.

I will now PM everyone on the list, please provide your email for request of payment through PayPal or Venmo.

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 01-22-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #38
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Both GM (2018 CUE) & MOPAR (2018 UConnect) allow for a combination of functions on their OEM CarPlay integrations. AM/FM/XM audio via the head unit + full features of CarPlay simultaneously. Should you choose to use CarPlay for audio as well, it'll switch over. I was just hoping for the same functionality in this unit, but I understand why that cannot happen based on how the system is designed.
Interesting & good point. The Pioneer headunit I got my wife for her Toyota (that started this whole mess!) has the same functionality & not able to "mix".

DO Remember: The the $14 Anker MFi certified apple cable! Doesnt have to be Anker, but must be MFi or your system may lag or drop. Thats not a system issue, its a cable issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #39
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Added! So unless someone changes their mind, we now qualify for $285 plus shipping. All funds need to be collected by me on or before Jan. 29, 2019. PayPal or Venmo will be used to collect money for this group buy.

I will now PM everyone on the list, please provide your email for request of payment through PayPal or Venmo.
Yall are doing about $80 better than me so good job! Stick together & make this happen. You wont be disappointed with the product I can assure you of that.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #40
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yall are doing about $80 better than me so good job! Stick together & make this happen. You wont be disappointed with the product I can assure you of that.
Thanks maddog! I appreciate the technical support for others as I am still waiting to install mine. Hopefully we can pull off this group buy. It's not easy to organize, and I'm not making any money off this either!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #41
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
So you can only listen to the music from the iphone, right? and if you need to make a call it would be via the unichip mic, correct?

that is a deal breaker for me.. I love how the X5 sounds and I love how my phone/bt is working for voice calls. I am 100% sure unichip/carplay can't beat that..
Also another issue is you can't enter the address, only say it or have it in your favorites..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #42
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post

So you can only listen to the music from the iphone, right? and if you need to make a call it would be via the unichip mic, correct?

that is a deal breaker for me.. I love how the X5 sounds and I love how my phone/bt is working for voice calls. I am 100% sure unichip/carplay can't beat that..
Also another issue is you can't enter the address, only say it or have it in your favorites..
Your correct Snake.
You are limited to the full functionality of Carplay: ie: all of whats in there, none of what isnt.
Im pretty demanding of music & podcast ease of use, & I LOVE THIS. But it may not be right for you.

- The audio quality is better than BT. (as noted, I turned off my BT connection to the car in my iphone now as having it wired & BT connected will cause drop outs, it gets confuzzled). I cant emphasize how important that is to me as I have the upgraded sound package as well. AND other solutions, like AVIN, have CRAP sound running through the Aux. thats both because of poor processing script on board & BAD hardware. This has none of those issues.

- I actually changed my music streaming subscription from Amazon to Apple. This allows me to give Siri commands: Play Prince! Play 80's HipHop! Play bossanova! etc & it just does it whether its a playlist or not. I love that.

- Calls are from the unichip mic, & Ive been told by others its better sound quality now then when doing on my OEM system previously. I have mine mounted/hidden real nicely in the upper middle area.

- I love how I can tell Siri to call anyone in 1 step & she does it! BMW system is 2-3 steps & you have to be exact. this is so much better IMO.

- I activate siri from the stearing wheel. total integration.

In Short: I feel like my perfectly awesome 2013, Dinan tuned, X5 is now 2019. There was nothing mechanically wrong w/ my car & the only shortcoming it had: crap telematics/infotainment is now fixed! Google maps w/ real time google traffic! Push a button & tell SIRI where to take me, and able to use slang without exact addresses? Thats huge to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #43
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Your correct Snake.
You are limited to the full functionality of Carplay: ie: all of whats in there, none of what isnt.
Im pretty demanding of music & podcast ease of use, & I LOVE THIS. But it may not be right for you.

- The audio quality is better than BT. (as noted, I turned off my BT connection to the car in my iphone now as having it wired & BT connected will cause drop outs, it gets confuzzled). I cant emphasize how important that is to me as I have the upgraded sound package as well. AND other solutions, like AVIN, have CRAP sound running through the Aux. thats both because of poor processing script on board & BAD hardware. This has none of those issues.

- I actually changed my music streaming subscription from Amazon to Apple. This allows me to give Siri commands: Play Prince! Play 80's HipHop! Play bossanova! etc & it just does it whether its a playlist or not. I love that.

- Calls are from the unichip mic, & Ive been told by others its better sound quality now then when doing on my OEM system previously. I have mine mounted/hidden real nicely in the upper middle area.

- I love how I can tell Siri to call anyone in 1 step & she does it! BMW system is 2-3 steps & you have to be exact. this is so much better IMO.

- I activate siri from the stearing wheel. total integration.

In Short: I feel like my perfectly awesome 2013, Dinan tuned, X5 is now 2019. There was nothing mechanically wrong w/ my car & the only shortcoming it had: crap telematics/infotainment is now fixed! Google maps w/ real time google traffic! Push a button & tell SIRI where to take me, and able to use slang without exact addresses? Thats huge to me.
I never listen to the music via BT.. I have USB drive with my music that I play via the head unit.. and I am sure it sounds better than BT or carplay.
Unless you tell me that the music quality is better from the phone connected via the cable.. I doubt that.. but maybe it is? anyone knows?
I had AVIN and it is piece of junk. Maybe I just got a bad unit, it was freezing and crashing ALL the time, leaving me with a blank screen.
I did not intend to play music from it because you can still use your head unit for that while running AVIN. So, is it really that good - this carplay music quality vs usb drive connected to the head unit?

Voice quality is good, that is good to know, thanks for sharing!

Waze works too, right? I use Waze all the time in the car. It is just saying the instructions via the speakerphone while I listen to the head unit music and if I need to look at the map - I have my OE navigation on the screen all the time.
So what is the sequence of things you need to do when you start a trip:
- hook up the phone,
- start the carplay
- start the music?
- start google maps
- tell Siri where you want to go?

something like that?
what happens if you are navigating and you get a call? after the call - do you get back to the nav screen?
what about parking camera? I heard it is switching it off very quickly when you shift to D so if you are trying to park you have to manually push the camera button to keep it on?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #44
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
So what is the sequence of things you need to do when you start a trip:
- hook up the phone,
- start the carplay
- start the music?
- start google maps
- tell Siri where you want to go?

something like that?
what happens if you are navigating and you get a call? after the call - do you get back to the nav screen?
what about parking camera? I heard it is switching it off very quickly when you shift to D so if you are trying to park you have to manually push the camera button to keep it on?
As I said it may not be right for you, but I can attest that for my use cases above it really works well. Agreed that AVIN is CRAP!
I like having streaming services ready so there is variety on tap, but that might not be your style.

To compare your USB to this solution Id suggest get an adapter cable & plug your iphone into the aux in 3.5mm jack & see how that compares. That is what this is ultimately.

Sequence is:
Turn on Car
Long press Menu button to "switch" to teh box / carplay.
Carplay auto launches on phone & in car once cable connected.

Then Ill hit my mic button & tell siri where im going. And do that again & tell her what podcast I want to listen to. Then I have the map up on the display w/ traffic info while listenting to music or podcast. Any calls or texts show up & I can answer via the jog dial (or pass on them).
Appreciate 0