XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330e, C8 Vette

Engine Malfunction time to time.

I was driving on the freeway light throttle about 30-40 mph and got Engine Malfunction, Power reduced. Came home turned the car off, message disappeared, went to my indy shop, the car was showing no codes. Been coming on an off for a few days now both in street driving and freeway but always when im at city speed.

Carista is showing code 2c57

Car doesn't drive any different and I can't feel anything. Boost builds as normal and it drives perfectly fine. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Did some research and checked older threads but couldn't find concrete solution.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lviv777 View Post
I was driving on the freeway light throttle about 30-40 mph and got Engine Malfunction, Power reduced. Came home turned the car off, message disappeared, went to my indy shop, the car was showing no codes. Been coming on an off for a few days now both in street driving and freeway but always when im at city speed.

Carista is showing code 2c57

Car doesn't drive any different and I can't feel anything. Boost builds as normal and it drives perfectly fine. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Did some research and checked older threads but couldn't find concrete solution.

Thanks!
I believe that code is for charge pressure. Could be charge pipe, wastegate sensor, boost sensor, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
I believe that code is for charge pressure. Could be charge pipe, wastegate sensor, boost sensor, etc.
Most likely a sensor as I feel nothing wrong with the boost coming in. Any way I can diagnose the issue dealer without having a diagnostic job done by indy?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone experienced this before by any chance? I see from other threads its somewhat a common issue, and happens at lower mileage, Im well past 110k now
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #5
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
This is based out my experience with a 2013 650i wherein I experienced 3 engine malfunctions in the year and a half I owned it. Car was a BMW CPO with 43K miles. Each time, the car would vibrate and misfire but the malfunction code would go away and car seemed to run ok. Each time I brought it to the dealership for warranty repairs, they ended up replacing a combination of ignition coils, spark plugs, HPFP, and various vacuum lines.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #6
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
This is based out my experience with a 2013 650i wherein I experienced 3 engine malfunctions in the year and a half I owned it. Car was a BMW CPO with 43K miles. Each time, the car would vibrate and misfire but the malfunction code would go away and car seemed to run ok. Each time I brought it to the dealership for warranty repairs, they ended up replacing a combination of ignition coils, spark plugs, HPFP, and various vacuum lines.
Going to check those things out. I am hoping its just a false code possibly caused by the terrible roads down here, as I am having no symptoms of anything. Thanks for the information!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^^
No problem. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Anyone experienced this before by any chance? I see from other threads its somewhat a common issue, and happens at lower mileage, Im well past 110k now
For me it was the vacuum lines on top of the motor. Just disintegrated over time, they crack, and you can't see the crack. I replaced one, but still getting the engine malfunction, then run rough, then next startup it's fine. Just replace those plastic lines on top of the engine. It says misfire cylinder 6 for me, but there's nothing wrong with cylinder 6 as I replaced coils, but even the dealer couldn't figure that one out, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
For me it was the vacuum lines on top of the motor. Just disintegrated over time, they crack, and you can't see the crack. I replaced one, but still getting the engine malfunction, then run rough, then next startup it's fine. Just replace those plastic lines on top of the engine. It says misfire cylinder 6 for me, but there's nothing wrong with cylinder 6 as I replaced coils, but even the dealer couldn't figure that one out, lol.
Ill check it out asap, Thank you!
Is it this? http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/2011-x5-boost-pressure/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You guys think I can pull off a 400 mile road trip before I get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
You guys think I can pull off a 400 mile road trip before I get it fixed?
Tough to say really. If you said it feels like it's running normally and building boost as it should then you'll likely be OK but have that AAA card or other tow coverage handy just in case.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
Tough to say really. If you said it feels like it's running normally and building boost as it should then you'll likely be OK but have that AAA card or other tow coverage handy just in case.
Drove it 100 miles today, and it was all fine, so going to hope my luck stays with me and it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #13
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I've been chasing reduced power warnings on and off for like 3yrs, replaced all the CCV lines and like 3/4 of the vacuum lines and it still comes on. It's annoying as shit while trying to race someone or it just happening randomly (I've even learned to shift into Neutral, cycle the engine off and back on, then back into Drive while still moving) but it hasn't stopped me from making three Bimmerfest trips from Seattle to Hollywood to Vegas and back so I'd say you're fine...but keep chasing it because it's only going to get worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 04-18-2019 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I've been chasing reduced power warnings on and off for like 3yrs, replaced all the CCV lines and like 3/4 of the vacuum lines and it still comes on. It's annoying as shit while trying to race someone or it just happening randomly (I've even learned to shift into Neutral, cycle the engine off and back on, then back into Drive while still moving) but it hasn't stopped me from making three Bimmerfest trips from Seattle to Hollywood to Vegas and back so I'd say you're fine...but keep chasing it because it's only going to get worse.
Don't scare me like that man.
Ill keep on chasing it!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Little update, after about 150 miles of not getting it, it pop up on the freeway on ramp.
This time I felt no boost coming in from the small scroll in the turbo. So from cruising RPM up to about 3-4k it felt dead, after that boost picked up. Took it to my indy, but by the time I got there the light disappeared and no codes were stored. Told me it could be attributed to the car getting hot lately??? Ill keep an eye out on it tomorrow during my road trip. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else having the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:16 AM   #16
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You guys won't believe it. Its been 200 miles from the time the code last showed up. As my mechanic suggested it could have been bad gas and it makes sense. I usually fill up at shell or costco, but before that filled up at sinclair, and after that the code started showing up. If anything changes I will update the thread, otherwise don't fill up at untrusted locations.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #17
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You guys won't believe it. Its been 200 miles from the time the code last showed up. As my mechanic suggested it could have been bad gas and it makes sense. I usually fill up at shell or costco, but before that filled up at sinclair, and after that the code started showing up. If anything changes I will update the thread, otherwise don't fill up at untrusted locations.
I would be glad to be wrong but I would not think a particular gas will cause a code to pop up. The only major variable in gas is octane, and if you filled up with low octane gas, all it will do is lower your timing, assuming everything else is good. Never causes a code. if you had water in the gas, you would be constantly misfiring. I would get a second opinion from another mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
I would be glad to be wrong but I would not think a particular gas will cause a code to pop up. The only major variable in gas is octane, and if you filled up with low octane gas, all it will do is lower your timing, assuming everything else is good. Never causes a code. if you had water in the gas, you would be constantly misfiring. I would get a second opinion from another mechanic.
Couldn't be octane as I always fill up 91, unless they mixed it before I put it in. Could have been bad quality gas or possibly diluted. I had arco gas throw some codes on my truck a while back. If the code happens again I'll consider it taking to some other mechanic possibly, but my usual one has been a family friend for a long time and I trust him. Hoping I will never have to deal with the code again.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
MsHill
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2008

2008 bmw x5

I was driving on the freeway a few days ago and all of a sudden there was a message that came on saying "Transmission Malfunction" Drive with caution or to the side of roads or something to that nature. But the car it was like slipped into neutral in the middle of the freeway. So I braked and stopped the car, threw on my hazards, shut the car down and then restarted the car and it was like nothing happened. I went on my marry way. I got to my destination turned off the car for an hour or so, got back into leave, started the car put into drive and it wouldn't move forward. It was like the front door was a door ajar and it wouldn't let you move. But it left go in reverse. No message this time. So again, I shut car off, turned it back on and drove on. No issues. Three passes, I turn on the car and try to reverse this time, its like it got stuck, then turned off the car and turned it back on and no issues... What could this be?

I should also say that the day before all this started I was driving on the freeway and AWD/4x4 malfunction came on as well. Shut the car off, turned it back on and I haven't seen it again since then. The car was served at Seattle BMW about three weeks ago. They said the car great. Had an oil change. No issues... Baffled.

Last edited by MsHill; 05-23-2019 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHill View Post
I was driving on the freeway a few days ago and all of a sudden there was a message that came on saying "Transmission Malfunction" Drive with caution or to the side of roads or something to that nature. But the car it was like slipped into neutral in the middle of the freeway. So I braked and stopped the car, threw on my hazards, shut the car down and then restarted the car and it was like nothing happened. I went on my marry way. I got to my destination turned off the car for an hour or so, got back into leave, started the car put into drive and it wouldn't move forward. It was like the front door was a door ajar and it wouldn't let you move. But it left go in reverse. No message this time. So again, I shut car off, turned it back on and drove on. No issues. Three passes, I turn on the car and try to reverse this time, its like it got stuck, then turned off the car and turned it back on and no issues... What could this be?

I should also say that the day before all this started I was driving on the freeway and AWD/4x4 malfunction came on as well. Shut the car off, turned it back on and I haven't seen it again since then. The car was served at Seattle BMW about three weeks ago. They said the car great. Had an oil change. No issues... Baffled.
Do you have the code that pops up?
Also Id suggest you make your own thread. This is for engine malfunction which is different from Transmission. That way you will get more helpful answers
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #21
Lviv777
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Big update, so at the end it turned out not to be a fuel problem or anything else. It was a boost solenoid problem. Around $550 to fix. Hopefully if anyone has this problem this helps!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 11:52 PM   #22
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

How'd you/your mechanic come to that conclusion?
Appreciate 0