XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #45
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I wonder what the wait time for an engine is if I were to buy it outright. Two replacement engines a month to every region is absurd. So are you guys getting a loaner in the mean time?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #46
2012X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

No.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #47
shawn938
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
I wonder what the wait time for an engine is if I were to buy it outright. Two replacement engines a month to every region is absurd. So are you guys getting a loaner in the mean time?
No I didn't get a loaner. Also the wait time would be the same regardless if you buy it outright as my claim was paid out thru my third party warranty and yet it still took about 8 months to get. Only after waiting about 7 months did customer relations put me on a priority list to get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #48
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Welcome!

I just joined this forum a week ago. I had a similar experience buying a 2011 X5 V8 about 2 months ago. It worked ok when I test drove the small loop which the dealer allows. When I was taking it home about 100 miles away, the check engine light comes and a since I did not want to drive all the way back, I showed it to my local BMW dealer. fuel pump faulty and a faulty MAF sensor. Dealer said it was due to non-premuim bad gas filled by the previous owner obviously trying to save money before trading in his X5. I had to replace the pump and the sensor. While at it might as well replace the spark plugs fouled by the cheap bad gas, also changed brake fluid, coolant fluid and engine oil as previous owner must have skimped on servicing . Also replaced crumbling engine bay partitions . In all I spent 4k more $$ to make the X5 roadworthy. Now it works like a charm.

Buying a used BMW is like rolling the dice
Non-premium gas? Will it damage anything internally if I use 87 octane, or 89? It says 91 minimum, but a few times I used 87 with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #49
fastfreddie63
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi, AMG C63

My new N63 engine is being installed

2012 550i 94k. My portion for the engine $5800 based on the mileage. Hoses, lines, aux. water pump, turbos, coils, starter, battery...another $6k. This sucks. This car better last another $94k. Bought car at 60k and it had been well cared/serviced. Nothing but issues from day 1 for me.

Freddie

PS. I was on the engine wait list when out of the blue BMW Corp. called and said they had an engine for me. I haven't a clue as to why?

What a crap design and poor fix by BMW. Never again. I've had a few AMG's and loved them. I must have been brain dead to try BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #50
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie63 View Post
2012 550i 94k. My portion for the engine $5800 based on the mileage. Hoses, lines, aux. water pump, turbos, coils, starter, battery...another $6k. This sucks. This car better last another $94k. Bought car at 60k and it had been well cared/serviced. Nothing but issues from day 1 for me.

Freddie

PS. I was on the engine wait list when out of the blue BMW Corp. called and said they had an engine for me. I haven't a clue as to why?

What a crap design and poor fix by BMW. Never again. I've had a few AMG's and loved them. I must have been brain dead to try BMW.
I agree about the crap design but not on the engine, any reverse flow engine would have the same issues in the X5s insane engine compartment, nearly EVERYTHING that plauges the N63 is due to heat saturation due to the absolute SHIT design of the engine compartment for a reverse flow engine...take off your engine cover and remove your rear parition, such simple fixes will greatly extend the life of your engine. The engine compartment is a tomb and the excessive temps destroy everything under the hood. Ask any BMW Service Adviser what the think about the N63s heat related issues...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #51
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I agree about the crap design but not on the engine, any reverse flow engine would have the same issues in the X5s insane engine compartment, nearly EVERYTHING that plauges the N63 is due to heat saturation due to the absolute SHIT design of the engine compartment for a reverse flow engine...take off your engine cover and remove your rear parition, such simple fixes will greatly extend the life of your engine. The engine compartment is a tomb and the excessive temps destroy everything under the hood. Ask any BMW Service Adviser what the think about the N63s heat related issues...

Can you clarify if removing the engine cover will cause the heat to spread to more heat sensitive plastic parts like the hoses and wiring ?

Also removing the rear engine partition will cause the heat to enter the passenger compartment ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #52
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Rear engine partition is there to prevent water getting into the engine compartment
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #53
apaolo1993
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Exclamation Just Found out about all of this

Hi All,

Great to e-meet everyone! Wish we met under different circumstances, but here we are. Purchased my 2011 X5 50i in May of 2018 with 66k mi on it. About a month after purchasing it, the oil light came on saying i was below min level. I added oil and looked online to hear that Bimmers burn oil more than most so i checked with Jiffy lube and they said the turbo lines were leaking and it was going to cost a few grand to fix, so i just figured i would keep putting oil in it and once i finally get some money to fix it i would. It continued to get worse and worse until i got to the point where (currently) i'm putting a new quart in every two weeks or so. On top of that, in January when i was driving back from Big Bear i put my car in neutral on the way down the mountain and when it leveled out, i put it in drive and accelerated, to then see a big plume of smoke coming from the tail pipes. This started to happen a little more consistently. I finally decided to bite the bullet and take it to get looked at thinking i just have to pay now or pay even more later. I did a quick check on the engine online and found out the CCP finally. Brought it in Monday, they ran the tests saying yes it seems to be losing oil quick. They gave me the car back on Wednesday (yesterday) and said come back next time the oil light comes on or at 1k miles and we can check again and make the decision as to whether to replace the engine, or the valve seals. I drove home in traffic with no problems.

Fast forward to this morning i'm driving down the highway and go to accel and the engine malfunction light comes up and the engine starts to stutter a bunch. I pulled over, turned it off, turned it back on and it was fine. Fast forward a few hours later to lunch time i am on the side streets, give it a little gas, and it starts to buck a bit like it's skipping, but no error message. It looks like i am going to need a whole new engine. So i called my SA and he said to call him tonight if it's doing it on the way home and he will have me bring it in and set me up with a loaner.

My question is, what are my options here. I hear i am going to need to pay for a portion of it (currently at 77k miles), so what will that cost me (on top of the fact that they said i have a coolant leak and need to replace some other piping or whatever, though i don't have the paper in front of me at the moment)? I asked for the full rundown of the CCP but they told me to check online because it's for internal use only. No BMW site has the exact specs, but some forums run down some and some have other that differ from those. Currently i have the below:

-Engine replacement (Some say BMW charges me a portion dependent on mileage, others say it was free, Beverly Hills BMW is saying i'll have to pay)
What will this cost me at 77k? How long will it take to get?
-BMW provides a loaner of equal or higher class
-BMW offers $1500 towards a new bimmer for X5 models affected
Is this for new bimmers only or towards used ones too?
-BMW offers $50 gas card as a thank you for dealing with this
This seems dumb but i'll take it

Is there anything else i should know about? Can anyone give me advice on this? I am 25, would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about cars in general, but have only owned mercedes cars before never had any issues with them so this is all brand new territory. I just want to make sure i don't get taken advantage of and have to pay more than i should, because i wanted this car so bad that i am overextending myself a bit as is and definitely can't afford this to begin with. The good thing is the SA said i don't have to pay until the work's completed so i can at least start to save up now and judging by how long some of the ppl have had their cars sitting waiting for an engine, i should have enough saved up by then.

Any and all help would be huge, and thank you all in advance for your input.

Alex

Last edited by apaolo1993; 05-01-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:35 AM   #54
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaolo1993 View Post
"i put my car in neutral on the way down the mountain"

"would consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about cars in general"
I don't have a 50i so I can't comment as to the process you'll have to go through to get your engine replaced but wish you luck.

What I can say is don't put your vehicle in neutral going down hills. You have less control of vehicle can't use the engine/transmisson to control speed leading to more brake wear. Neutral isn't necessarily made for coasting and doesn't save fuel vs. leaving it in gear - whether automatic or manual.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:37 AM   #55
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Can you clarify if removing the engine cover will cause the heat to spread to more heat sensitive plastic parts like the hoses and wiring ?

Also removing the rear engine partition will cause the heat to enter the passenger compartment ?
Look under your engine cover....some of those most heat sensitive bits are under it already...and BMW did not design it to trap heat (that's a byproduct of it) its actually an acoustic cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:40 AM   #56
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudezi View Post
Rear engine partition is there to prevent water getting into the engine compartment
No, the rain gutters server that purpose, the rear parition is to make sure 100 percent heat soak is obtained so thermal accelerated decay of all your plastic and rubber bits puts you back at the dealer$$$$$.... seriously though, it's mainly for wind and sound deadinng and also to prevent engine fumes from entering the vents when you have outside air on. It has a very minimal effect on water if your gutters are in good shape
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #57
apaolo1993
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
I don't have a 50i so I can't comment as to the process you'll have to go through to get your engine replaced but wish you luck.

What I can say is don't put your vehicle in neutral going down hills. You have less control of vehicle can't use the engine/transmisson to control speed leading to more brake wear. Neutral isn't necessarily made for coasting and doesn't save fuel vs. leaving it in gear - whether automatic or manual.

Thanks for the heads up. It was more just because i didn't want to keep hitting the gas and brake 9 million times (traffic sucked).

Also, can anyone who has had their car in the shop for months waiting for an engine, give me some insight on their loaner/rental experience with them. I spoke to my SA this morning about bringing it in and i told him, it's fine if it takes a while for the engine to come in because that will give me time to get the money together for my part of the repair, but if i'm paying $400/mo for my car, and the CCP states an equal or better class car, then i expect to have a car that is the same quality as my Bimmer.
He told me he is going to talk to his manager, but that BMW has their own rules and will give a rental rather than a loaner if it's going to be that long, and may just end up being something as big as the X5. This to me is unacceptable, as i am less worried about the size, and more worried about now being stuck in a crappier car, while still paying for my Bimmer and not being able to enjoy it, all while this issue is their fault to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #58
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post

For a light sedan coasting downhill in neutral is fine. Not so for a 5000 lbs monster. It will eat away your brakes and rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #59
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Also, can anyone who has had their car in the shop for months waiting for an engine, give me some insight on their loaner/rental experience with them. I spoke to my SA this morning about bringing it in and i told him, it's fine if it takes a while for the engine to come in because that will give me time to get the money together for my part of the repair, but if i'm paying $400/mo for my car, and the CCP states an equal or better class car, then i expect to have a car that is the same quality as my Bimmer.
He told me he is going to talk to his manager, but that BMW has their own rules and will give a rental rather than a loaner if it's going to be that long, and may just end up being something as big as the X5. This to me is unacceptable, as i am less worried about the size, and more worried about now being stuck in a crappier car, while still paying for my Bimmer and not being able to enjoy it, all while this issue is their fault to begin with.
[/QUOTE]

I'm driving my X5 while waiting for the replacement engine to arrive. I waited 3 weeks for the SA to get me a rental car (not a BMW loaner), never happened; and there is no ETA on the replacement engine. I live in Brooklyn, as the only dealer in the town of 2.6 million ppl, Brooklyn BMW doesn't give a f#(@ but customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #60
chadism
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudezi View Post
I asked for a loaner and was given a rental from Hertz. They tried to give me a Kia micro suv but I said no, no, no. Ended up with a new Nissan Titan quad cab 4X4 which works fine for me. My X5 has been waiting in dealer service for almost two months now. No estimated arrival on engine, no completion date. No returned calls from BMW NA.

I am wondering how many others are in the same position as me given the thousands of N63 owners that are owed a new engine (or repair). It would be nice to have some insight into the N63 supply chain, possibly someone inside BMW NA.

I don't buy the posts about only a couple of engines being given to regions every few weeks. That's absurd given the number of affected vehicles.

Last edited by chadism; 05-08-2019 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0