XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Shenker
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Sapphire Black

X5M HiFi audio subwoofer quit working

Hey guys,

Have kind of an odd issue, the other day I was driving for about an hour and a half, all highway nothing crazy rough, suddenly when I got into the city, I completely lost all bass instantly. Wasn't really listening to anything in particular but I noticed it sounded funny, didn't think anything of it really until the next time I got in and attempted to listen to music. Played with some EQ settings and I definitely have no sub woofers, either side, at all. The rest of the audio "seems" to be normal.

Couple days later and a LOT of searching the net, it sounds like there is a few obvious possibilities:

1: In some cases its the sub woofers themselves, which makes no sense to me as they both went at the same time, and as far as I can tell they're not wired in series (i.e. dependent on one another electrically). This is what i'm going to be testing today even though I don't think its the woofers.

2: The battery is bad and the vehicle is load shedding as they do and have experienced with HVAC, lighting, etc. At first this was my thought as I had a weak battery to begin with, replaced the battery yesterday and still have no sub woofers.

3: Bad amplifier, this has no solid logic behind it to me either because the rest of the audio works just fine. Seems like kind of a shot in the dark at saying just the sub output died.

So what i'm wondering is, how on earth can I bench test the amplifier?
I'm going to pull the sub(s) today and test the impedance of each coil, that should tell me if there's a break in an electrical connection. I'm skeptical of this to say the least however.

Side note, if it is the woofers themselves, what is the consensus towards BavSound Ghost upgrades over OEM, worth the premium?
      02-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenker View Post
Hey guys,

Have kind of an odd issue, the other day I was driving for about an hour and a half, all highway nothing crazy rough, suddenly when I got into the city, I completely lost all bass instantly. Wasn't really listening to anything in particular but I noticed it sounded funny, didn't think anything of it really until the next time I got in and attempted to listen to music. Played with some EQ settings and I definitely have no sub woofers, either side, at all. The rest of the audio "seems" to be normal.

Couple days later and a LOT of searching the net, it sounds like there is a few obvious possibilities:

1: In some cases its the sub woofers themselves, which makes no sense to me as they both went at the same time, and as far as I can tell they're not wired in series (i.e. dependent on one another electrically). This is what i'm going to be testing today even though I don't think its the woofers.

2: The battery is bad and the vehicle is load shedding as they do and have experienced with HVAC, lighting, etc. At first this was my thought as I had a weak battery to begin with, replaced the battery yesterday
If you are going to pull the subs out, check the wiring for continuity from the sub to the amp.

unrelated question.
Did you replace it with an OE battery? If so where did you get from? My dealer in Vancouver wants $390 for 105ah

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
If you are going to pull the subs out, check the wiring for continuity from the sub to the amp.

unrelated question.
Did you replace it with an OE battery? If so where did you get from? My dealer in Vancouver wants $390 for 105ah
Good thinking, probably wouldn't have tried that.

I did not go OEM for that reason, I picked up a Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGM for $239 from Canadian Tire out here in Calgary, rated at 92ah. From all the research I did this seemed like the best choice outside of OEM.
      02-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Well I got as far as getting the driver side sub woofer out and on the bench after testing the leads and getting no connection, it appears that one of the leads has broken off inside the frame where they are glued to the spiders. I still find it odd that this causes both woofers to quit working, but i've seen weirder things.

I buttoned everything back up, I was done dealing with it for today, will pull the passenger side apart before I order new woofers of some kind.
      02-26-2018, 12:36 AM   #5
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
Well I got as far as getting the driver side sub woofer out and on the bench after testing the leads and getting no connection, it appears that one of the leads has broken off inside the frame where they are glued to the spiders. I still find it odd that this causes both woofers to quit working, but i've seen weirder things.

I buttoned everything back up, I was done dealing with it for today, will pull the passenger side apart before I order new woofers of some kind.
why not ask a pro audio repair shop to attach the leads again? iirc, it's a pretty easy repair.

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Got a pic? Hard to visualize since I have never looked at or removed these.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Shenker
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
why not ask a pro audio repair shop to attach the leads again? iirc, it's a pretty easy repair.
The whole subwoofer would have to be torn apart to get the lead resoldered back on, its detached right at the base of the spiders. Generally you're correct, its 10 mins with a solder iron, but there is no way to get an iron in there.

Ive decided to go with aftermarket SWS-8s as an option, however im having trouble finding which ohm load I require. The factory subs are 8ohm, I have top hifi (16 speakers) however i seem to only have been reading of people deciding between 2ohm/4ohm, what do I replace the 8 ohm speakers with?

03-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
sciond
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Quote:

Ive decided to go with aftermarket SWS-8s as an option, however im having trouble finding which ohm load I require. The factory subs are 8ohm, I have top hifi (16 speakers) however i seem to only have been reading of people deciding between 2ohm/4ohm, what do I replace the 8 ohm speakers with?
Keep looking they are out there. They are mainly used for running in parallel applications in custom installs.
2008 Corolla
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #9
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M

Hey are there any updates on this? My subs quit working as well, the dealer says the subs are blown but I want to be sure before I buy subs. You would think blown subs you could at least hear something but I literally have no bass at all and no distortion sound
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
mrsoandso
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrazy View Post
Hey are there any updates on this? My subs quit working as well, the dealer says the subs are blown but I want to be sure before I buy subs. You would think blown subs you could at least hear something but I literally have no bass at all and no distortion sound
Blown subs/speakers can sometimes not make sound at all. They require a connection through the voice-coil, which is often thin copper wire. If the wire breaks = no connection, no sound, no sub.
Appreciate 0