XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
HtownBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

Cylinder 2 Misfire and Fuel rail system too low code....

2013 X5 E70 3.0
Got a P0302 (#2 misfire) and P0087 code (fuel rail pressure low) today with the lovely limp mode message.

Replaced the coil and plugs about 3 weeks ago while doing valve cover gasket with no issues since. Car was running great. Misfire pops today with fuel rail pressure code.

I replaced the previously replaced coil and plug with a prior working coil and plug I had from job a few weeks ago.

No other codes in system.

I used a boroscope to look into cylinder and saw what looked like a small bit of fuel puddled in cylinder which isn’t unheard of upon shut down of an engine. Also pulled plug and it was sooty and black like it had been running rich rich rich......smell of rich fuel out of exhaust too.

My initial guess after replacing coil and plug is perhaps injector was stuck open? It would explain rich fuel and smell.

My question is has anyone had this type issue. And what was the cause ultimately?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
HtownBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

Ok here’s what the end result was. Engine in limp mode. Cylinder 2 misfire. A few random misfire codes. And the valvetronic actuator code. Pulled plug and saw it looked fouled. Ran boroscope into cylinder and it was fairly clean but had a bit of fuel in it which isn’t uncommon but usually a sign of unclean or not full ignition.
Replaced plug. Same codes reappeared. New coils. Same.
Changed injector. Coded injector. Cleared all codes except valvetronic code wouldn’t clear. Car ran great for about 1 minute. Then bad smoke and wear noise rhythmic from valvetronic motor while idle. Ran rough and idle fluctuated from 6-900 rpm. Smoked out back pipe.
Rich fuel mix.
I’ll save the dissertation on what this meant etc etc. BMW controls intake using variable valve opening versus throttle body as primary determiner. So if the motor or it’s internal (external on some earlier models) sensor cannot open the valves to the correct height, or thinks it’s opened the valve to the correct height incorrectly, the engine may be starved for air (rich fuel air mix) or may run lean (too much air).
My motor was not opening the valves far enough. So much so it caused a plug to foul and an injector to clog. Thus the “fools” codes.

So. Instead of dropping 400 plus on a new valvetronic motor actuator, I decided to use my Autel Scanner and recalibrate/relearn the DME as if is “installed a new one” even though I didn’t. I went through process. Still made loud rhythmic whining noise during the 500 cycles of the recalibration/code. After process complete, I shut off engine according to the procedural spec. There was another valvetronic height calibration step which I went through afterwards. Completed both.

Started vehicle all but knowing for 1000 percent I was going to have to change the valvetronic motor due to the horrible idle and loud noise coming from it during the calibration process.
Bam. Idled perfect. Perfect. Right at 650 or so. Was waiting on code to pop again. Nope. No CEL and no dumb ass stupid &**’ing BMW crap a$$ limo mode bull$*&*. Took it for a long drive and let it idle for a while too. Nothing. It’s still running slightly rich on my live data, which tells me the valvetronic does probably need to be replace, but I can at least order the part now and do the job at my convenience instead of at a roadside gas station on the rough side of town situation.

Whoever invented that trash should be slapped upside the head. If your engine is damaged to the point of potential failure, the damage is already like done idiots, and you’re unlikely to make it any worse if it is truly an “engine saving” procedure. For crying out loud the damn over. Heat limp mode engagement is rated at 260 degrees.....you’ve already blew it by that point anyways, why add a damn limp mode limitation that is dangerous to the driver at that point?
I digress, but screw BMW and it’s dumb ass limp mode crap.
Appreciate 0