XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

HELP (Again) A couple of weird noises

Hello again,

I am experiencing a couple of weird noises when driving my 2011 X5 35i (104,000km).

1. When turning left or right, I can ehar a clunking noise. As if something is loose at the end of the steering shaft perhaps.

2. When turing or braking, I can hear a very very high pitched (not too loud) whine. I thought it was the power steering at first, but I seem to also hear it when braking. It does not sound like a physical/mechanical sound from friction or anything, but sounds more like an electric whine. I hope I'm being helpful/descriptive enough.

I could try to get videos to capture the sound of both noises but it's kind of hard driving while recording with my phone (I live alone)

But, if you have experienced these in the past or have knowledge that you can help me with, please let me know.

Any and all help welcome

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Hello again,

I am experiencing a couple of weird noises when driving my 2011 X5 35i (104,000km).

1. When turning left or right, I can ehar a clunking noise. As if something is loose at the end of the steering shaft perhaps.

2. When turing or braking, I can hear a very very high pitched (not too loud) whine. I thought it was the power steering at first, but I seem to also hear it when braking. It does not sound like a physical/mechanical sound from friction or anything, but sounds more like an electric whine. I hope I'm being helpful/descriptive enough.

I could try to get videos to capture the sound of both noises but it's kind of hard driving while recording with my phone (I live alone)

But, if you have experienced these in the past or have knowledge that you can help me with, please let me know.

Any and all help welcome

Thank you in advance
More than likely your control arms need and sway bar links need to be replaced, I would start with the Sway bar links since it is the cheapest option and the easiest to replace. The whining you are describing may be the alternator pulley or belt tensioner.
      02-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDemonDM View Post
More than likely your control arms need and sway bar links need to be replaced, I would start with the Sway bar links since it is the cheapest option and the easiest to replace. The whining you are describing may be the alternator pulley or belt tensioner.
Thank you DieselDemonDM

Would the sway links already go with just 100,000km on the car?

Also, the whining only happens when braking or turning. It does not exist on idle or driving straight. If it were the pully or tensioner, wouldn't the sound always be there?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
HtownBlue
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

CV AXLE, suspension components, steering knuckle bushings, tie rod ends, etc. Any of those items could cause these issues. And brakes could be an issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys. It ended up being loose bolts in the steering rack. Going to tighten them tomorrow.

For whoever is interested, this is the exact noise and symptom I was facing

Appreciate 0