XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Eating anything, including 100% junk food, is possible while losing weight. As mentioned ad nauseum on this site, losing weight means consuming fewer calories than one burns.

The point about alcohol is simply to remind that these calories need to be counted. How many times does this topic come up on this site, and an OP posts, “I just can’t get it, I can’t lose weight and I work out all the time.” It’s often because the complete caloric intake picture isn’t painted. Ice cream and donuts are vilified in nutritional circles, but craft beer, local wine and fine spirits remain in the shadows, nutritionally speaking.
Oh...I agree. I don't drink though. Never got into it.

Alcohol contains about 7 calories per gram. It can add up quickly if you aren't watching it.

I use to hear it all when I was a personal trainer. Biggest thing is people do not know what they are taking in everyday calorie wise.

I have to eat 3500+ calories to "maintain" my body weight. I posted a shot on the gym thread once of my food tracker during a "bulk" as I track all of my calories. It showed 5,100 calories that day I believe.

That's why I don't really bulk anymore. Eating that much food day in and day out consistently sucks.

But when I go to diet...I can diet on 3100 calories and get pretty lean. Then another drop to around 2600...and that's all it takes.

It just comes down to making your body as efficient as you can. Find meals that your body processes well and agrees with you. Then track what you eat.

Plus I'm a boring eater. I can eat the same thing pretty much everyday and not be bothered by it.
      06-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
Matthew_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Hey guys, wow i haven't checked this thread but seems like I have a few responses to type out.

As of yesterday, I am one week into the cut and 3 pounds down as per the scale. Visually, im seeing a tad bit of improvement in my midsection which is nice.

The workout program he provided has me doing "steady pace" cardio 4 times a week for the first four weeks but I did it 6 times last week as its a good warmup prior to my lifting and its not that tiring when Im watching IMSA races to distract me from it. Diet wise, had a cheat meal for my dads birthday but Ive been following it to the T so far, basically turkey, rice, and veggies every meal. Ive also found some good low calorie condiments to help get it down so thats a plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #25
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_M3 View Post
Hey guys, wow i haven't checked this thread but seems like I have a few responses to type out.

As of yesterday, I am one week into the cut and 3 pounds down as per the scale. Visually, im seeing a tad bit of improvement in my midsection which is nice.

The workout program he provided has me doing "steady pace" cardio 4 times a week for the first four weeks but I did it 6 times last week as its a good warmup prior to my lifting and its not that tiring when Im watching IMSA races to distract me from it. Diet wise, had a cheat meal for my dads birthday but Ive been following it to the T so far, basically turkey, rice, and veggies every meal. Ive also found some good low calorie condiments to help get it down so thats a plus.
Nice! Keep it up. I'm a big fan of cardio prior to my lifts, always helps stretch out. Usually do about 15mins on incline treadmill prior to lifting, then I'll do more intense cardio like stairmaster or running following my lift.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #26
Matthew_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Nice! Keep it up. I'm a big fan of cardio prior to my lifts, always helps stretch out. Usually do about 15mins on incline treadmill prior to lifting, then I'll do more intense cardio like stairmaster or running following my lift.
I'm doing about 25-30 min of walking at an 8 incline for my 'steady pace' cardio. So far, I'm enjoying it and my lifts are better compared to going into straight lifting.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 04:41 AM   #27
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_M3 View Post

This is just my opinion as I have "trained" people before. But he has you doing 4 cardio sessions for a reason. When your progress stalls...and it will as it does for everyone.....you either lower calories or up expenditure.

Why do more than necessary if you are hitting your targeted goals for the week?

The reason I say this is when you do stall and he comes back and says..okay...now we will start increasing cardio.....you don't have that option unless you start doing even more. You never do more than you have to to get the progress you are looking for in this "world". Because if you do...then you have nothing left in "reserve" so to speak.

And you can only reduce calories so much before you start affecting the gym. Even when I am on a cut, building or preservation of muscle is always my main focus.

Don't get me wrong. Heart Health is very important. But I always saved cardio for closer to the end of my cuts so that I didn't have to drop calories any more.

Most of my cardio is HIIT and during the "bulking " phase as it provides a warm up before I lift. And also because it stimulates my appetite.

If you want to do cardio to warm up for the weights...I just do 10 minutes or so of HIIT and I don't count is as part of my "cardio regimen".

But just my thoughts. Congrats on the progress! I guess it all comes down to what you are trying to achieve.
      07-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #28
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Interestingly enough everyone's body is different and responds differently. Eat whole foods, ramp up your metabolism with daily activity and exercise but mainly find good proven workout programs and keep increasing the weight throughout it's cycle for progression. Rinse and repeat as they say.

Stay consistent, track your progress and build your body. Nothing comes easy in life until you fail and fail you will. That's what makes this journey of fitness so rewarding. Knowing you did it all on your own and finally seeing the results is very empowering. Yes, I'm an addict.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
Interestingly enough everyone's body is different and responds differently. Eat whole foods, ramp up your metabolism with daily activity and exercise but mainly find good proven workout programs and keep increasing the weight throughout it's cycle for progression. Rinse and repeat as they say.

Stay consistent, track your progress and build your body. Nothing comes easy in life until you fail and fail you will. That's what makes this journey of fitness so rewarding. Knowing you did it all on your own and finally seeing the results is very empowering. Yes, I'm an addict.
This is the most important thing. Consistency for long periods of time.

I track my food and workouts. I follow a West-side Barbell Hybrid called Wendler 3-2-1. I use the 5 days a week variation.

It mixes everything up for you...and automatically sets your weights, sets, and reps for you based on input of your prior workouts.

But I have done this for so long..it's second nature!