XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Engine heat sheilds

What is everyone’s thoughts on the heat shields that cover the turbos up. It seems like it traps heat and causes CCV tubing and the coolant y pipe to get way to hot. I was thinking of leaving them off after I just did the turbo return lines and cat less down pipes.

I know they serve a purpose otherwise the BMW engineerings crew would not have put them on.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

they shield the heat for other parts of the engine bay but its for letting them cool not in a fast manner as well to avoid cracks etc.. for cooling the turbos, aux coolant pump takes the most of the work.. but yes they do suck the life out of T joints on pipes..
      07-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
I left the stock heat shields off after installing downpipes but added the PTP blanket. You want to keep the heat of the hot side of the turbo in that area. Helps with spool up and keeps temps in the rest of the engine bay down.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post
What is everyone’s thoughts on the heat shields that cover the turbos up. It seems like it traps heat and causes CCV tubing and the coolant y pipe to get way to hot. I was thinking of leaving them off after I just did the turbo return lines and cat less down pipes.

I know they serve a purpose otherwise the BMW engineerings crew would not have put them on.
Leave it on, in fact I wish BMW would have added more, the heat shielding is there to keep the heat from the turbos and exhaust manifolds from nuking everything in the engine compartment.

What you should do is wrap the coolant pipe too in heat reflective wrap to help protect it, BMW should have done this from the factory.

If you really want to go all out, you can wrap you manifolds and hot side of the turbos or get a Turbo blanket like pdx5m did.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Yup I did my y pipe in heat wrap. So close I thought I was gonna hear if fire up today. But I got sent two drivers side CCV tubes and then thought well I just do the dual catch cans. Wrong fittings....urghh. I guess it’s time for a beer......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep

Been running without the cat heat shielding and the main heat shield for2 weeks now. No issues and I ran the shit out of it when it was 100 degrees and no issues. So the turbos spool so nice, you can hear them.

And the thing runs like a fricken monster!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0