XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

X5///M intercooler upgrade

I know Dinan makes upgraded intercoolers for the 50i. I think 1fastx5 has them...anyone else? I am wondering if anyone has the measurements for them.

I measured the tiny stock units

I don't track the X5 but I am getting a tune and down pipes this month and typically larger intercoolers are a quick way to gain some power with a cooler/denser air charge. Anyone try to upgrade the coolers?
      01-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan X5M

Intercoolers don't add any hp. They only provide proper cooling to sustain maximum efficiency at all times even when screaming around all day long.
Appreciate 1
9vapors648.00
      01-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

^ yes cooling doesn't directly mean a hp increase, but cooler air means cooler combustion chamber which leads to the engine being less prone to detonation which means that it is possible to further advance the timing, and that in the end leads to more hp

Sylvan, i don't think anyone has made IC upgrades for the Ms, I think the current once are probably adequate in cooling the car. Since we don't use air to air, having a larger IC radiator given the limited space and intake opening isn't necessarily going to help. But who knows weistec made it work on the M157 and even includes a ice tank

Last edited by theaudir8fan; 01-05-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraridriver69 View Post
Intercoolers don't add any hp. They only provide proper cooling to sustain maximum efficiency at all times even when screaming around all day long.
Yes and no, cooler air is denser air more air = more power. So bolting on an upgraded intercooler itself may not do anything unless you are suffering from heat soak already. If that's the case the vehicle will pull timing and you lose power.
However I am planning on really cranking things up, if I add 150hp and 130ftlbs I am sure I would benefit from an upgraded intercooler(s) I also will get a custom dyno tune to further make use of the cooler air. Without anyone doing any testing no one can say either way if it helps or not, it may help with pressure drop as well if you get a free flowing IC.

I am just looking into it right now it seems no one really tests much out on this platform....I am a speed junkie and although I realize I drive a 5,000lb SUV but I already have a date with a twin turbo SRT8 jeep in the spring. I know I won't win but I hate to lose

Anyway I know Dinan makes an intercooler upgrade for the 50i so I may end up calling them and get the specs on their IC. I was hoping 1FASTX5 could chime in with a couple measurements of the Dinan unit anyway. I would think if was an upgrade for the X5M Dinan would be marketing it as such?? The Dinan ones say 23% larger than 50i units so does anyone have measurements of the stock 50i units?

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-05-2014 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #5
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

I can't find a better picture of the Dinan coolers...at $2,600 they might be a high $/hp mod they claim 20hp and 10ftlbs with a tune.

01-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I think the gains would be minimal on those water:air units. You aren't going to notice 20whp and I doubt your X5 is either.

The tune is going to be your best bet. Which one are you considering?
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've run my M on track for 2 days with very little down time and never had a heat soak issue.
I have found Dinan is a very honest company. If they don't think it's worth it they don't sell it. Even if they could.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've run my M on track for 2 days with very little down time and never had a heat soak issue.
I have found Dinan is a very honest company. If they don't think it's worth it they don't sell it. Even if they could.
Are you running more boost than factory? Are you tuned with cat less down pipes? If so what were your before intercooler and after intercooler temps on your runs? What were your temps at the start of your runs and at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
I think the gains would be minimal on those water:air units. You aren't going to notice 20whp and I doubt your X5 is either.

I doubt the canned off the shelf tunes would maximize these but I am getting a custom tune on a dyno so the ability to maximize the cooler intake charge is there.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-05-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Whats up everyone, yes i see that you guys are looking for measurements on the intercoolers, tonight or tomorrow evening i will post them up and take a few pics with the tape measure on it. Let me know if theres anything else you need guys
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

It's funny this thread gets brought up. When I have asked tuners when I got my X5M why anything else isn't to market is that there has to be a demand in Oder to invest R and D. I'm sure those that are on this forum that are X5/6M owners are in the minority when it comes to modding them.

I spoke VAC in Novemeber about options and the most likely scenario is leave the car and do development, testing, etc and most likely a hefty bill.

At a minimum I would of thought Dinan would of had more of a range and that most likely would of been my direction.

Would be interested to see the specs and if these are an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Quote:
Are you running more boost than factory? Are you tuned with cat less down pipes? If so what were your before intercooler and after intercooler temps on your runs? What were your temps at the start of your runs and at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post

I doubt the canned off the shelf tunes would maximize these but I am getting a custom tune on a dyno so the ability to maximize the cooler intake charge is there.
I run Dinan everything and the car never suffered any performance loss. No idea what temps were as I didn't need to know (since there weren't any issues)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
ferraridriver69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also, one of our clients purchased Catless downpipes and a tune that promised I believe 110hp and 130tq. He and I ran side by side. My car is Dinan flash and muffler. Obviously the above mentioned numbers weren't quite as promised.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Why not look at meth injection to keep the air cooler, would be less expensive than intercoolers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5 View Post
Whats up everyone, yes i see that you guys are looking for measurements on the intercoolers, tonight or tomorrow evening i will post them up and take a few pics with the tape measure on it. Let me know if theres anything else you need guys
Thank you I tried sending you a PM but you're not able to get them? I would appreciate it, I I forgot to measure the height I will have to do that as well. It's hard to judge from pictures but the dinan ones look thicker for sure. I have also contacted Dinan to see their opinion on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
Why not look at meth injection to keep the air cooler, would be less expensive than intercoolers
I have a meth kit in my garage already....once again I asked the "tuners" on here about it...no one is willing to test anything out. I might install it, I am not a huge fan of cutting into the electrical system and drilling holes ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
It's funny this thread gets brought up. When I have asked tuners when I got my X5M why anything else isn't to market is that there has to be a demand in Oder to invest R and D. I'm sure those that are on this forum that are X5/6M owners are in the minority when it comes to modding them.
I have asked a few tuners some questions and it seems like there is not much interest in anything besides a tune and down pipes. I might try a few things and see where it leads. It seems like everyone is quick to shoot everything down with no testing or facts.....

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-05-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
enzoleo
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I have a meth kit in my garage already....once again I asked the "tuners" on here about it...no one is willing to test anything out. I might install it, I am not a huge fan of cutting into the electrical system and drilling holes ect.
I wanted to install a meth kit but my tuner turned me down and wont take responsibility so i did not pull the trigger on that route.. let me knw how it works out for you. i have a fully tuned catless x5m tuned by vf.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I installed one on my 335, very little cutting into wires or drilling holes. You could even mount the meth container in the engine bay. I guess the hardest part is figuring out how to program it to deliver the meth. I had the vishnu tune so that was an option. You're tuning place in Alberta should have a way to do that
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #17
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok guys sorry that i didnt post any pics was very hard to hold the tape in the tight space and take a pics at the same time, what i got under the hood is 2 5/8 inches wide & 6 1/2 inches from above the neck going up to the bottom of the neck. Now i went to my basement to go look at my OEM and they are the same size as my dinan intercoolers. Whats your specs?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Ok guys sorry that i didnt post any pics was very hard to hold the tape in the tight space and take a pics at the same time, what i got under the hood is 2 5/8 inches wide & 6 1/2 inches from above the neck going up to the bottom of the neck. Now i went to my basement to go look at my OEM and they are the same size as my dinan intercoolers. Whats your specs?
Your Dinan intercoolers are the same size as the originals?

2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So mine are about 2.5" close enough to 2 5/8" and almost 7". how high would they be I never measured that on mine.

I did talk to Dinan and they said the X5M has larger intercoolers than the 50i does. they were pretty vauge and didnt have measurements but it sounds like it is not an upgrade....

Quote:
I installed one on my 335, very little cutting into wires or drilling holes. You could even mount the meth container in the engine bay. I guess the hardest part is figuring out how to program it to deliver the meth. I had the vishnu tune so that was an option. You're tuning place in Alberta should have a way to do that
I have an aquamist kit that is a full standalone kit you would just tune the vehicle for it and the aquamist kit can be set off RPM or pressure ect. It also has a gauge as well as the control box and it is a bit of splicing/cutting and i guess you could use the windshield washer fluid as a tank, I have a Jaz fuel cell for a tank that i usually would install in the trunk area. I like the safety and features of an aquamist kit but i guess a cheaper kit with less features and options like Devils own or cooling mist could be used for a less intrusive install...

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-07-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Quote:
So mine are about 2.5" close enough to 2 5/8" and almost 7". how high would they be I never measured that on mine.

I did talk to Dinan and they said the X5M has larger intercoolers than the 50i does. they were pretty vauge and didnt have measurements but it sounds like it is not an upgrade....

Quote:
I have an aquamist kit that is a full standalone kit you would just tune the vehicle for it and the aquamist kit can be set off RPM or pressure ect. It also has a gauge as well as the control box and it is a bit of splicing/cutting and i guess you could use the windshield washer fluid as a tank, I have a Jaz fuel cell for a tank that i usually would install in the trunk area. I like the safety and features of an aquamist kit but i guess a cheaper kit with less features and options like Devils own or cooling mist could be used for a less intrusive install...
That sucks! How could that be, this should be the other way around they should have more options for the M than the reg bmw. Their should be a reason why their isnt upgrades for the M intercoolers
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That sucks! How could that be, this should be the other way around they should have more options for the M than the reg bmw. Their should be a reason why their isnt upgrades for the M intercoolers
I agree you would think m owners would be the target audience for go fast parts, is I was to develop an IC I would make it an upgrade for the M that would also fit the 50i as they look very similar and I am sure with minor modifications it would fit either vehicle. seems odd they would make one for the 59i but not M.
      01-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Getting a tune from Velos doesn't mean I NEED to upgrade the intercooler do I?
forgive the stupid question
Appreciate 0