XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X5 35i, 16 F80 ZCP

Engine malfunction light

We have a 2011 X5 35i with about 108k miles on it. Every now and then it will throw an engine malfunction warning and reduce power, but will go away after turning it off and back on within a few seconds. It can be weeks between incidents and I am stumped. I originally assumed that it was the VANOS solenoids so I cleaned them and it made no difference. I then replaced them(with an off brand just as a test) and it seemed to get better for a little while but then continued to do the same thing. It is difficult because it can happen while driving down the highway with the cruise set, accelerating at low speeds or even slowing down for a turn, but it always goes away after turning the car off and back on. Hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

I think you really need to read the code and at least start there. If it's a stored code, it should still be readable with certain scanners, otherwise read it or have it read when it comes on. You can get a cheap $25 code reader from autozone and keep it in the car. Really these engines are so complicated the way they report so it's hard to say without knowing the codes...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I think you really need to read the code and at least start there. If it's a stored code, it should still be readable with certain scanners, otherwise read it or have it read when it comes on. You can get a cheap $25 code reader from autozone and keep it in the car. Really these engines are so complicated the way they report so it's hard to say without knowing the codes...
The issue is it never throws a check engine light, only the message on the iDrive for Engine malfunction, reduced power. I could be wrong but I didn't think those were stored and were only readable by BMW when the warning is active.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scschafe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
The issue is it never throws a check engine light, only the message on the iDrive for Engine malfunction, reduced power. I could be wrong but I didn't think those were stored and were only readable by BMW when the warning is active.
Hmm, I was unaware this can happen without a check engine light. In that case, I'd bring it to the dealer and see if it's stored.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
gitee
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
We have a 2011 X5 35i with about 108k miles on it. Every now and then it will throw an engine malfunction warning and reduce power, but will go away after turning it off and back on within a few seconds. It can be weeks between incidents and I am stumped. I originally assumed that it was the VANOS solenoids so I cleaned them and it made no difference. I then replaced them(with an off brand just as a test) and it seemed to get better for a little while but then continued to do the same thing. It is difficult because it can happen while driving down the highway with the cruise set, accelerating at low speeds or even slowing down for a turn, but it always goes away after turning the car off and back on. Hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction.
Sounds like a failing hpfp. Is yours original?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitee View Post
Assuming that means high pressure fuel pump? I am guessing that it is original. That would make sense because I did have a CEL that I assumed was unrelated and has went away on its own that was for "High fuel pressure, plausibility pressure too low" "High pressure fuel, plausibility, cold start: pressure low" " Fuel tank Ventilation system, shutoff valve : jammed open"

Could that cause an issue that intermittent?

Last edited by Scott_S; 12-05-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Assuming that means high pressure fuel pump? I am guessing that it is original. That would make sense because I did have a CEL that I assumed was unrelated and has went away on its own that was for "High fuel pressure, plausibility pressure too low" "High pressure fuel, plausibility, cold startressure low" " Fuel tank Ventilation system, shutoff valve : jammed open"

Could that cause an issue that intermittent?
Yes, high pressure fuel pump. Mine had the same intermittent symptoms, but eventually became worse over time. I didn't want to be stranded, so I replaced it. Haven't had any problems since. I replaced mine in May 2017.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, high pressure fuel pump. Mine had the same intermittent symptoms, but eventually became worse over time. I didn't want to be stranded, so I replaced it. Haven't had any problems since. I replaced mine in May 2017.
Do you have any sources on the pump and about what it costs?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any sources on the pump and about what it costs?
I purchased mine from FCP Euro because I wanted the lifetime warranty. I think if it's purchased from a BMW dealership (online, not walk in retail), it will have a 2 year warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased mine from FCP Euro because I wanted the lifetime warranty. I think if it's purchased from a BMW dealership (online, not walk in retail), it will have a 2 year warranty.
You don't happen to know the part number do you? I am seeing quite a few different options with a pretty big range in price.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You don't happen to know the part number do you? I am seeing quite a few different options with a pretty big range in price.
I purchased the reman'd 13517616446.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK thank you. I think that is what I will try replacing next since all the signs seem to point to that being the issue. Did you replace it yourself? Just trying to gauge how involved it is to do and if I need anything special to do it other than the pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OK thank you. I think that is what I will try replacing next since all the signs seem to point to that being the issue. Did you replace it yourself? Just trying to gauge how involved it is to do and if I need anything special to do it other than the pump.
I replaced it myself. I can't remember exactly how long it took, about 1-2 hours. The wiring harness underneath the intake manifold is slightly tricky to re-attach. Oh, and make sure you have long Allen sockets, I think 5mm or 6mm. You'll need it to access the bolt sandwiched between the pump and cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I replaced it myself. I can't remember exactly how long it took, about 1-2 hours. The wiring harness underneath the intake manifold is slightly tricky to re-attach. Oh, and make sure you have long Allen sockets, I think 5mm or 6mm. You'll need it to access the bolt sandwiched between the pump and cylinder head.
Do you have to take the intake manifold off or can it be done from underneath? All of the write-ups that I have found seem to be for a diesel so I am assuming that doesn't apply.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have to take the intake manifold off or can it be done from underneath? All of the write-ups that I have found seem to be for a diesel so I am assuming that doesn't apply.
I don't recall having to completely remove the intake manifold. I think I loosened it to gain a little more room. I did remove the throttle body though.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nit/1VnYhbsG7T
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall having to completely remove the intake manifold. I think I loosened it to gain a little more room. I did remove the throttle body though.

Thank you for that. It looks like there are two different versions of the hpfp, bosch and continental, based on the instructions you shared. I will have to look and see which one I have before I order the part. Is there an easy way to tell since it looks like I have to take a bunch of stuff off before I can even see it?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
gitee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for that. It looks like there are two different versions of the hpfp, bosch and continental, based on the instructions you shared. I will have to look and see which one I have before I order the part. Is there an easy way to tell since it looks like I have to take a bunch of stuff off before I can even see it?
I took the last 7 of my vin and plugged it into realoem.com. From there, I found the part number for the hpfp and plugged that into FCP. It looks like the original part number has been superseded.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
SirKnight13
AutoBahn Lovva...
Rep
Drives: Custom Silver E71 X6 M

Garage List
2010 X6 M  [0.00]
Post BMW-Enthusiast

Hey,
First off. It's Free to go to Autozone and get your OBD read and make sure it's not a critical code.

Have them clear the code and then see if it comes back. If it comes back then take it straight to BMW, Pay 160 w/tax and have them do a Full Inspection. Get the results and then Fix it or have it fixed.

Never mess with engine lights unless you know what engine components youv'e changed or upgraded yourself, that could have thrown the check light on..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update. I replaced the HPFP tonight and everything went well until the test drive. I don't get any engine malfunction error on the iDrive right now but there is a CEL and the power is reduced, slow acceleration. I went to the local parts store to pull the codes and they were P15DF, P0087, and P149D. They couldn't tell me what the codes meant so I am flying blind. Any insight? Did I get a faulty pump or could it be something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

On post #6 you mentioned an error with the vent valve stuck open. That is the vent purge solenoid that was/is failing which contributes to your ^p149d.
Appreciate 0